2024-2025 Season Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Admin
Site Admin

2024-2025 Season Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Admin »

Fire Sullivan...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 2024-2025 Season Random Penguins Fodder

Post by KG »

Admin wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:06 pmFire Sullivan...
8-) Great start to the new thread!

Let's get a top 6 wing!
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Who are realistic top 6 wing targets (given what we've seen from Dubas so far)?
For my list, I used 2 criteria: we get sweeteners (salary retention or picks) to take on the player or more of a hockey trade.
- Connor Garland (rumors have had the Canucks desperate to rid themselves of his salary)
- Patrik Laine (wants out and is expensive)
- Frank Vatrano (he's 30 and they were shopping him at one point)
- Andrei Kuzmenko (a reasonable hockey trade could be made and he could slot with Malkin)
- Nicholas Robertson (this is tough to gauge, but who knows him better than Dubas?)
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

dark_forces wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:53 pm Who are realistic top 6 wing targets (given what we've seen from Dubas so far)?
For my list, I used 2 criteria: we get sweeteners (salary retention or picks) to take on the player or more of a hockey trade.
- Connor Garland (rumors have had the Canucks desperate to rid themselves of his salary)
- Andrei Kuzmenko (a reasonable hockey trade could be made and he could slot with Malkin)
- Nicholas Robertson (this is tough to gauge, but who knows him better than Dubas?)
I think KD can go a few ways to get a top 6 forward:

1. He can go with Hayes trade route where he takes a contract on for cheap and gets an asset back in return. Kane fits that mold.

2. Get a wing that wouldn't cost much but could still help the team now. Kuzmenko, Robertson type of trades.

4. Hockey trade. Money in money out. Laine type.

3. Go big game hunting and trading some of the assets he accumulated for a younger scoring forward like Zegras.

If I had to guess I would think options 1 and 2 are more likely than what we will see.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

KG wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:07 pm
dark_forces wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:53 pm Who are realistic top 6 wing targets (given what we've seen from Dubas so far)?

1. He can go with Hayes trade route where he takes a contract on for cheap and gets an asset back in return. Kane fits that mold.

2. Get a wing that wouldn't cost much but could still help the team now. Kuzmenko, Robertson type of trades.

3. Go big game hunting and trading some of the assets he accumulated for a younger scoring forward like Zegras.

If I had to guess I would think options 1 and 2 are more likely than what we will see.
I think he goes with option 5, stand pat and see if one of more of the prospects makes a push to make the team.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

--Garland - I don't think he's on the block anymore. He was when the team was cap strapped (they still are to some degree), but moving Mikheyev this summer seemed to be their cap dump move. Garland, meanwhile, had his best season in the NHL last year and the analytics crowd raved about him being the best 3rd line forward in the league.

--Laine - The problem here is his salary. Even if CBJ retained 50% (which I've heard they don't want to retain much if at all), we'd still need to ship out a player off the roster to make the cap work. The only thing that possibly works is trading Rakell for Laine, but then 1) CBJ still has to retain a little bit, 2) Laine in and Rakell out doesn't really solve adding another top 6 piece.

--Vatrano - Vatrano had a career year last year, 37 goals and 60 points. He would not be cheap to acquire. I think Anaheim would have moved him last year if they got a great deal, but having another year left probably moved some teams away. If Vatrano starts off the season playing like he did last year, he's going to be a big rental target at the trade deadline.

--Kuzmenko - Too much risk for the cost, IMO. 5.5M for a guy who has been very streaky. He's more of a shooter than anything else.

I think Dubas is done. I think Tarasenko was the last big swing he was willing to consider. If there is another move, my money would be on Robertson, or, if the Wahlstrom rumors are true, potentially trading for Wahlstrom if the Isles don't like his potential arbitration award. I'd also consider signing Zadina or Foudy to a league minimum deal, work with them at camp, let them start in the AHL, and see if either of them can regain some of the form that made them first round picks.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Cap Friendly is going bye bye today. Puck Pedia put out today a Puck GM component for anyone that's interested. Good to see they are trying to fill the void created by the Caps!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:22 pm Cap Friendly is going bye bye today. Puck Pedia put out today a Puck GM component for anyone that's interested. Good to see they are trying to fill the void created by the Caps!
Happy to say they are catching up to CapFriendly much quicker than I anticipated. They've already cut down SOME of the "crap" that they had on their team pages. I'd still like to see the team pages have the cap summary at the top, not buried under news and transactions, but, it is getting there for sure.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

KG wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:07 pm

I think trading for Evander Kane would be a mistake. He's been drama wherever he's played. Less so in Edmonton but there he got injured so there's that worry. I just don't want to see the team take on a problem case who becomes a distraction and PIA in the room. Not worth it.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Now that the dust has settled a bit on free agency, it seems pretty clear to me that Dubas has shifted to rebuild mode. Last summer, he made the big roll of the dice by getting Karlsson and to a lesser extent Smith and Graves to see if the team could get one last shot at a Cup run. It didn't work, so now he's not totally blowing things up, but he's taking on bad contracts for picks and only signing cheap reclamation projects on short contracts. If those reclamation projects rebound to something closer to their peak form, and the core guys keep up a high level of play, maybe the team makes the playoffs, but Dubas isn't into selling the farm to make a playoff push.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

I think the team is pretty much set. They think they can win with this roster and likely feel if they can get the PP up to average, they can get into the playoffs. They have the best hockey coach in the world as well.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

largegarlic wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:18 pm Now that the dust has settled a bit on free agency, it seems pretty clear to me that Dubas has shifted to rebuild mode. Last summer, he made the big roll of the dice by getting Karlsson and to a lesser extent Smith and Graves to see if the team could get one last shot at a Cup run. It didn't work, so now he's not totally blowing things up, but he's taking on bad contracts for picks and only signing cheap reclamation projects on short contracts. If those reclamation projects rebound to something closer to their peak form, and the core guys keep up a high level of play, maybe the team makes the playoffs, but Dubas isn't into selling the farm to make a playoff push.
There's no farm to sell.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

largegarlic wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:18 pm Now that the dust has settled a bit on free agency, it seems pretty clear to me that Dubas has shifted to rebuild mode. Last summer, he made the big roll of the dice by getting Karlsson and to a lesser extent Smith and Graves to see if the team could get one last shot at a Cup run. It didn't work, so now he's not totally blowing things up, but he's taking on bad contracts for picks and only signing cheap reclamation projects on short contracts. If those reclamation projects rebound to something closer to their peak form, and the core guys keep up a high level of play, maybe the team makes the playoffs, but Dubas isn't into selling the farm to make a playoff push.
Agreed. Karlsson came here to try to win, he is still looking for a Cup. Wonder if he will look to try to get moved sometime this season. Pens would have to retain I'm sure, but we should be able to get some decent pieces for him if/when EK get's moved.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

KG wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:20 pm
Agreed. Karlsson came here to try to win, he is still looking for a Cup. Wonder if he will look to try to get moved sometime this season. Pens would have to retain I'm sure, but we should be able to get some decent pieces for him if/when EK get's moved.
Retaining 50% should net multiple 1sts in my opinion.