Hossa to DET

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Hossa to DET

Post by Loaf31 »

I cannot bring myself to root for Chicago anymore.... that really sucks
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Corvidae wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
Corvidae wrote:Chicago is screwed. They're going to lose so many good players and they still don't have a decent second line center.
I don't think a $5.2M cap hit for Hossa is that bad. That is what we are paying Gonchar. And we still were able to sign Sid, Fluery, Malkin, and Staal. And still win the Cup.
5.2? Damn, I didn't see that. Another front load garbage contract that annoys my to no end, I guess. Too bad. I really liked Chicago.
Yeah, the report is 12 years, $62M. Chicago took a page from Detroit on this one, which to me, if it is legal, then do it.

I hope they fix it in the next CBA, but for right now, if you have a guy in his 30s, this is a great deal.

Yeah, if he took $7-8M, then I agree, they'd be a little tighter.

But that extra $2-3M could go a long way, and who knows, maybe Toews and Kane see that the ownership are trying to bring top flight vets to the team, so they will take a little hometown discount.

I still like the Hawks. I always have except in 92 when we played them in the Finals.

I still don't mind Hossa too much.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

If Chicago plays Detroit in the finals next year, who do we root for? I think I'd have to go with Chicago... as long as they then lose to Pittsburgh!
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re:

Post by Corvidae »

spi wrote:I am hurt. time to move on
First response and I feel the same today. I guess not really hurt, just disappointed he went to a team I like.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Corvidae wrote:If Chicago plays Detroit in the finals next year, who do we root for? I think I'd have to go with Chicago... as long as they then lose to Pittsburgh!
I'd root for Chicago big time. I hate Detroit. Have since the mid 90s. I've always like Chicago, even with Hossa on it now.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Easton »

Hossa may retire next year if he gets beat in the Finals again...especially against Pittsburgh.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

I'm still not a fan of Hossa but Chicago doesn't bug me (right now, anyway...)
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

Im in for getting this to 100!

I do admit this makes me like CHI a lot less. Part of it may be Hossa, but the main part was them bringing up the young talent and devloping into contenders. I liked watching them like the Pens of years before.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by CKA24 »

newarenanow wrote:
Corvidae wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
5.2? Damn, I didn't see that. Another front load garbage contract that annoys my to no end, I guess. Too bad. I really liked Chicago.
Yeah, the report is 12 years, $62M. Chicago took a page from Detroit on this one, which to me, if it is legal, then do it.

I hope they fix it in the next CBA, but for right now, if you have a guy in his 30s, this is a great deal.

Yeah, if he took $7-8M, then I agree, they'd be a little tighter.

But that extra $2-3M could go a long way, and who knows, maybe Toews and Kane see that the ownership are trying to bring top flight vets to the team, so they will take a little hometown discount.

I still like the Hawks. I always have except in 92 when we played them in the Finals.

I still don't mind Hossa too much.
Do you? I hope they 'fix' it after we sign Malkin, Crosby, Fleury, etc to some awesome front-loaded contracts (of course, Mario will be able to pay for it due to the increased revenue from the CEC!)
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

Just want to remind everyone that I HATE these front loaded deals SOOOOOOO much. I'll probably make a thread about it in a few days, like I do every year. Coming soon to a NPR forum near you.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

CKA24 wrote:Do you? I hope they 'fix' it after we sign Malkin, Crosby, Fleury, etc to some awesome front-loaded contracts (of course, Mario will be able to pay for it due to the increased revenue from the CEC!)
Penguins finances < Detroit, Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, New York... and the list goes on. So yes, I do hope they "fix it," or else the lockout will have been pointless. The large markets have the major edge again.
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Re:

Post by NeddieVedder »

Oh man Hossa rules. Between this and us beating him for the Cup, it's time to call it even going forward.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Re:

Post by Corvidae »

NeddieVedder wrote:Oh man Hossa rules. Between this and us beating him for the Cup, it's time to call it even going forward.
No. I'm a sad man and I enjoy sports grudges. :D
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Corvidae wrote:
CKA24 wrote:Do you? I hope they 'fix' it after we sign Malkin, Crosby, Fleury, etc to some awesome front-loaded contracts (of course, Mario will be able to pay for it due to the increased revenue from the CEC!)
Penguins finances < Detroit, Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, New York... and the list goes on. So yes, I do hope they "fix it," or else the lockout will have been pointless. The large markets have the major edge again.
I don't think the lockout was pointless, these long term deals only knock the cap down by a $1M or so. And they are risky in that the player needs to retire before the deal is up, or be traded. Yes, it's an advantage, but it's still 100Xs better than it was before the cap.

But yes, you pretty much have to be a large market to do this, and it is an edge.

But I don't think the lockout was pointless as there is still a ton more balance out there. If not for the lockout and the cap, Hossa would still be in Detroit, and after these contracts were up for Sid and Malkin, they'd probably be getting $15MM deals.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

I agree, NAN. "Pointless" was a massive overstatement by me, but damn do I hate those deals. Hossa's cap hit goes down by what? 3, 4 million? I can't see him playing past 38.

EDIT: OK, it is only about 2. I keep seeing different numbers ever five minutes!
Last edited by Corvidae on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by beerman »

I don't think the Pens will be able to do that though, I think the big attraction in these long deals is the hope/thought that the guy signing will retire before it's over and you pay a reduced rate for the 3/4 of the contract they play. For the Pens to do that with Sid and Geno next time around they'd have to give them 15 year deals and I don't think RS would do that.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by littlemoonboot »

I think Shero has made it pretty clear that he generally doesn't like those long contracts.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Corvidae wrote:I agree, NAN. "Pointless" was a massive overstatement by me, but damn do I hate those deals. Hossa's cap hit goes down by what? 3, 4 million? I can't see him playing past 38.
If he retires at 38, and the if the rumors are true that he will received around $55MM over the first 7 years, then yeah, they save around $2.5-3MM per year.

But it's also a big risk they are taking. If Hossa decides not to retire, or they can't trade him, then they have a 40 year old taking a decent cap hit.

I do think in the next CBA, you will see a new rule in place where if a team signs a guy over X amount of years, and said player retires (unless due to injury), the hit will be 50% or something of the original contract.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

Ah, you just beat my edit. I saw a bunch of different numbers and at first it looked like 9 million for the frist years of his deal. This isn't as bad, in fact it's not even as bad as the Vinny L. deal.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

beerman wrote:
I don't think the Pens will be able to do that though, I think the big attraction in these long deals is the hope/thought that the guy signing will retire before it's over and you pay a reduced rate for the 3/4 of the contract they play. For the Pens to do that with Sid and Geno next time around they'd have to give them 15 year deals and I don't think RS would do that.
Plus with Sid and Geno being only 25 on when their next deals come around, I don't think they'd want to commit to that long of a deal.

These deals generally work if the player is in their 30s, and the team has a ton of money to spend.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

Corvidae wrote:Just want to remind everyone that I HATE these front loaded deals SOOOOOOO much. I'll probably make a thread about it in a few days, like I do every year. Coming soon to a NPR forum near you.
:thumb:

I look forward to it. This is a loophole that needs to be fixed badly.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

Hossa sure likes bird/bird themed teams.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

will hossa be booed or laughed at next time he is in pittsburgh?
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

I am wondering how The Joe will react on Hossa's return (will they be "knuckleheads"?)
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

JeffDFD wrote:I am wondering how The Joe will react on Hossa's return (will they be "knuckleheads"?)
They'll cheer him because they aren't whiners like pens fans :roll: