Hossa to DET

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Member »

Kovy27 wrote:O.M.G. When did Hossa sign with Detroit?!
He did not?

The last I heard was that Ray Shero and Ritch Winter were still working on a long-term contract extension.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Member wrote:
He did not?

The last I heard was that Ray Shero and Ritch Winter were still working on a long-term contract extension.
I heard he was in Sweden taking his good old sweet time deciding his future.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Pitts wrote:
Member wrote:
He did not?

i heard his agent and team president flew to mississippi to ask him not to report to camp. fact?
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

canaan wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Member wrote:
He did not?

i heard his agent and team president flew to mississippi to ask him not to report to camp. fact?
I heard Bill Parcells put his man tits in his face.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Jesse »

Ron` wrote:
Jesse wrote:
crzymike wrote:
Jesse wrote:Haha, so let me get this straight. If Pavel Datsyuk skates up to Sidney Crosby before the faceoff of a game and says, "Hey, you're pretty good. Come play for us".

That's tampering?

No. It isn't.

Tampering assumes negotiation. I doubt Babcock offered him a contract in the hand shake line.
Technically it is. If you ever hear RS talk about a player from an opposing team, he's very careful as to what he says because of the tampering rule. You can acknowledge a players talented but to remotely suggest you should come play with ''us'' is something that shouldn't occur until july first. It's definitely an unethical tactic to say the least.

Players talking amongst themselves is one thing, an opposing coach saying something of this nature from the organization who just beat you in the cup finals is quite another. ''Why don't you come to Detroit'' yea thats definitely a negotiation tactic. It makes it clear to Hossa that the Wings would likely offer him a contract if he awaits UFA. If nothing else it plants a seed which again, shouldn't happen.
As someone above me said, it MAY be tampering in spirit.

However, technically, it isn't.

Point blank. Period.
I've stayed out of this till now, Jesse he is a member of the Wings Management team, the head coach. It's tampering aka the Brett Favre Minn Vikings phone calls. IF true, and that's a big IF.
Private phone calls are not equal to a handshake remark at center ice of the defending teams arena.

Tampering would be Mike Babcock saying "Hey, you played great. Next year we can offer you a sweet one year deal worth seven mil. We'll have a great chance to win with you in the lineup and we'll load it with incentives".

Tampering is not Mike Babcock shaking his hand and saying "Why don't you come to Detroit?" In the middle of a handshake line. Come to Detroit for what? The steak salads? A vacation? To play hockey? To hear some motown?

If anything, it's a gesture of respect.

In most states, Tampering is defined as "tortuous interference with contract." Anyone who says that's what Babcock did is flat out wrong.

Stop crying about Hossa already.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Kovy27 wrote:
canaan wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Member wrote:
He did not?

I heard Bill Parcells put his man tits in his face.
MOOBS!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Jesse wrote:Come to Detroit for what? The steak salads? A vacation? To play hockey? To hear some motown?
Strip clubs.
Jesse wrote:Stop crying about Hossa already.
I can't he meant so friggin' much to me.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

You are not allowed to suggest to a player on an opposing team that you'd like to acquire his services. RS has stated this on several occasions. I am sure Ray Shero would have more insight into this matter then anyone here. ''Come play for us'' is definitely tampering. If it shows respect for Hossa, then in most certainly shows disrespect for the Penguins organization.
The Joker

Post by The Joker »

crzymike wrote:You are not allowed to suggest to a player on an opposing team that you'd like to acquire his services. RS has stated this on several occasions. I am sure Ray Shero would have more insight into this matter then anyone here. ''Come play for us'' is definitely tampering. If it shows respect for Hossa, then in most certainly shows disrespect for the Penguins organization.
Who cares?

He's gone. We still have Crosby, Makin, and Fleury.

Move on with your life.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

Uh oh...I'm getting into this.

Even if he just meant it as respect, it still shows him that the team he wants to play for has an interest in him. If anything, this would cause him to at least test free agency rather than signing before hitting the market.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Jesse »

crzymike wrote:You are not allowed to suggest to a player on an opposing team that you'd like to acquire his services. RS has stated this on several occasions. I am sure Ray Shero would have more insight into this matter then anyone here. ''Come play for us'' is definitely tampering. If it shows respect for Hossa, then in most certainly shows disrespect for the Penguins organization.
The quote says, "You should come to Detroit". That could mean anything.

That's funny, I just got off the phone with a good buddy of mine who reads this board, has a minor in Sports, Arts and Entertainment Management and is currently studying contract law at the University of Pittsburgh, and he vehemently stated that this isn't tampering, and he's a Penguins fan.

His definition of tampering, verbatim, was the following:

"To engage in improper or secret dealings, as in an effort to threaten or sway the status of ones contract."

That didn't happen.

So, no. It wasn't tampering. Moving on.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

The Joker wrote:
Who cares?

Move on with your life.
We arent currently discussing the fact that he's gone, more the way he and the Wings went about it. In any case just because we still have Malkin, Crosby and MAF, doesn't all of a sudden solve everything. If you dont care for this particular subject, stay out of the thread.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

crzymike wrote:
The Joker wrote:
Who cares?

Move on with your life.
We arent currently discussing the fact that he's gone, more the way he and the Wings went about it. In any case just because we still have Malkin, Crosby and MAF, doesn't all of a sudden solve everything. If you dont care for this particular subject, stay out of the thread.
Yeah make that post outside of the line of quotes and make it about the whole thread still existing. Then it applies perfectly.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Who cares?

Move on with your life.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

Jesse wrote:

That's funny, I just got off the phone with a good buddy of mine who reads this board, has a minor in Sports, Arts and Entertainment Management and is currently studying contract law at the University of Pittsburgh, and he vehemently stated that this isn't tampering, and he's a Penguins fan.

"To engage in improper or secret dealings, as in an effort to threaten or sway the status of ones contract."

That didn't happen.

''You should come to Detroit'' means anything ha? Wow, thats very Naive thinking. that most certainly is ''improper''. If you want to hold on to your stance thats fine but you are clearly in error on this one. RS says different then you, RS knows the rules.

moving on......
Last edited by crzymike on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Joker

Post by The Joker »

crzymike wrote:
Jesse wrote:

That didn't happen.

''You should come to Detroit'' means anything ha? Wow, thats very Naive thinking. If you want to hold on to your stance thats fine but you are clearly in error on this one. RS says different then you, RS knows the rules.

moving on......
You are so passive-aggressive.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

crzymike wrote:
Jesse wrote:

That didn't happen.

''You should come to Detroit'' means anything ha? Wow, thats very Naive thinking. If you want to hold on to your stance thats fine but you are clearly in error on this one. RS says different then you, RS knows the rules.

moving on......
It doesn't really matter what he meant by it, its the way it was worded. He is very safe with that wording.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

Idoit40fans wrote:
crzymike wrote:
The Joker wrote:
Who cares?

Move on with your life.
Yeah make that post outside of the line of quotes and make it about the whole thread still existing. Then it applies perfectly.
If thats how you feel then why even bother posting in the thread?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

...more sour grapes.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Jesse »

crzymike wrote:
Jesse wrote:

That didn't happen.

moving on......
In a legal sense, it could mean anything.

"You should come to Detroit".

Did Babcock probably mean to play hockey? Yeah.

Did he SAY THAT?

Did Mike Babcock say "Hey, sign with us when you're a free agent. We'll give you a sweet deal!"

It's a simple yes or no question, Mike. I'll await your answer.

Was THAT STATEMENT ALONE an "improper or secret dealings as in an effort to threaten or sway the status of ones contract."?

No.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

crzymike wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
crzymike wrote:
The Joker wrote:
Who cares?

Move on with your life.
If thats how you feel then why even bother posting in the thread?
Most of the time i just see a thread with a new post in it and i enter. I don't pay attention to which thread i'm going into. Then if I see something that I want to respond to...well, I think we can agree that I generally just say what pops into my mind.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

Jesse wrote:
crzymike wrote:
Jesse wrote:

That didn't happen.

moving on......

Did he SAY THAT?

Did Mike Babcock say "Hey, sign with us when you're a free agent. We'll give you a sweet deal!"

Was THAT STATEMENT ALONE an "improper or secret dealings as in an effort to threaten or sway the status of ones contract."?

No.
If he tested free agency because of that, then yes.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

I believe it's improper. My opinion on this isn't whats important. I am going by Shero's comments on this matter and that is solely what I am basing this premise on. According to statements he has made recently and in the past couple of years, this most certainly can be construed as tampering. You are NOT allowed to talk about a player possibly joining your organization in any way or in any manner while under contract to another team.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

It's the fact that Babcock was ambiguous about it and didn't show a clear intention. You also don't know how Hossa interpreted it.

If Hossa said that though after losing, he's a total d-bag
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Jesse »

JoseCuervo wrote:
Jesse wrote:
crzymike wrote:
Jesse wrote:

That didn't happen.

moving on......

Did he SAY THAT?

No.
If he tested free agency because of that, then yes.
And I'm willing to bet that he didn't.