Hossa to DET

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Lesky »

ChiTraderRob wrote:There is no doubt that Winter was a huge factor in this decision.
Yeah, its chilly here in Pittsburgh......Cold steel...
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfannn »

BOO HOSSA!
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

Troy Loney wrote:
Dan H wrote:Wow. This move makes very little sense to me from Hossa's perspective. The Wings don't have a hugely better chance than the Pens of getting back to the finals next year. For one thing, they have to go through the West. And it would be surprising if the Pens couldn't beat one year at 7.4 mil. Factor in the chance that he'll get injured on the one-year deal, and I don't think I would have sniffed that offer if I were Hossa. Maybe the Pens wouldn't offer him any more than 6.5 mil per? Was there ever a public disclosure from the negotiations?
I think it's as clear as day, if he was really a priority for Shero there is no way in hell that he wouldn't match a one year deal for 7.4 million. Hossa would rather play in detroit. As far as a chance of winning, detroit offers more stability than the penguins. the penguins don't even have enough players under contract for next season.

It's about winning for hossa.
An if winning means that much to him he indeed made the right and safe decision. That I would never debate. From a security stand point and a common sense stand point however, if he gets injured, he could cost himself 30,40 maybe even 50 million dollars. I feel pretty sure the Pens could easily have matched that deal (particularly for one year) but it's clear Hossa loves a winner. The hell with Loyalty or anything remotely resembling that. The hell with bein on a young team with two superstar centers that could have helped you pad your stats or given you a chance to win year in and year out. I dont fault him for wanting to win, but it's clear he would have had a chance here to as well. Sorry, just really frustrated. :evil: :(
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by JeffDFD »

I figured he may be gone...but ONE YEAR to DETROIT for 7.4 just blows my mind. Never saw that coming and makes me a little angry.

Id say Colby needs to tell a joke to cheer us all up...but hes not here either :-(
BillinDayton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BillinDayton »

Not being filthy rich and existing in anything remotely close to the level Hossa has and will reside in for the rest of his life, apparently...

How much is enough?

I'm obviously biased...I'll admit that but is the chance to make a little more dough really that important? %-wise, either offer involved a lot of money...So, I'm asking myself why would he take the security of the Pens offer and stick around for what might be a very fun ride?

Maybe money wasn't the deciding factor?

Does he want to be "the guy?"

I'm looking forward to hearing/reading his rationale....
Last edited by BillinDayton on Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joey leo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by joey leo »

nocera wrote:
joey leo wrote:i would hate to be any of your significant others (or objects of stalkification).

you didn't put a new roll of toilet paper on! it's a betrayal! this isn't american cheese, you lied! i have no respect for you!

what's with all the jr high histrionics?

hossa made a pretty good bet. even if he gets hurt and is out all season, would it really affect what he gets next year? i doubt it.
Of course it would play a role in his next contract if he suffered a major injury and sat out a year. He's much more of a risk than he is now.
the guy was making $$ when he was considered a playoff bust...injury or not, they'll pay for his potential. you know there would be at least 1 stupid team out there ... look at all the deals that have been going on this year.

it would have been nice to have him back, but...what can you do...he's got a really good chance to hoist the cup next year.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wondermoose »

Keeping Hossa was pushing the limit as far as what the Pens could handle, and I wasn't terribly excited about resigning him. I am a bigger fan of the smaller signings, the 2-3 million men and paying the big players the big bucks. However, Detroit..... Ouch.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

ChiTraderRob wrote:There is no doubt that Winter was a huge factor in this decision.
I disagree. Why would an agent want his client to sign a one year deal and risk getting injured an costing his client millions of guaranteed dollars? That makes no sense.
Last edited by crzymike on Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

I love that we're upset at him for going to the Wings for less money yet if the situation were reversed and he chose more money over signing with us, we'd be all over him for being a gold digger.
pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfannn »

Detroit is so loaded. I can't blame him on wanting to play there.

But they left tens of millions on the table.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by KBone »

BillinDayton wrote:
I'm looking forward to hearing/reading his rationale....
Here's his rationale.

1)Play for a Cup Favorite for a chance to win

2)Be a UFA again, after the cap goes up again = More $$$

Best of Both worlds for him.

Yes this stings, but we have to live with it.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

crzymike wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:
Dan H wrote:Wow. This move makes very little sense to me from Hossa's perspective. The Wings don't have a hugely better chance than the Pens of getting back to the finals next year. For one thing, they have to go through the West. And it would be surprising if the Pens couldn't beat one year at 7.4 mil. Factor in the chance that he'll get injured on the one-year deal, and I don't think I would have sniffed that offer if I were Hossa. Maybe the Pens wouldn't offer him any more than 6.5 mil per? Was there ever a public disclosure from the negotiations?
I think it's as clear as day, if he was really a priority for Shero there is no way in hell that he wouldn't match a one year deal for 7.4 million. Hossa would rather play in detroit. As far as a chance of winning, detroit offers more stability than the penguins. the penguins don't even have enough players under contract for next season.

An if winning means that much to him he indeed made the right and safe decision. That I would never debate. From a security stand point and a common sense stand point however, if he gets injured, he could cost himself 30,40 maybe even 50 million dollars. I feel pretty sure the Pens could easily have matched that deal (particularly for one year) but it's clear Hossa loves a winner. The hell with Loyalty or anything remotely resembling that. The hell with bein on a young team with two superstar centers that could have helped you pad your stats or given you a chance to win year in and year out. I dont fault him for wanting to win, but it's clear he would have had a chance here to as well. Sorry, just really frustrated. :evil: :(
It's frustrating as hell, just a big slap in the face. I really don't know how to spin it, he'd rather play for detroit.
Wizard15

Post by Wizard15 »

You shouldnt boo Hossa, he stuck to his word. He wanted to play for a winner and get a cup asap. He knows better than any of us which team would have a better shot at a cup next year. He played his ass off here and hopefully taught some of the guys on this team how important it is to play 2 way hockey. It hurts now, but I think Ray has some ideas on how to re-tool this roster.

Remember fellow pens fans, you are going to have Crosby and Malkin playing together for a long time, better days are ahead.
Free Candy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Free Candy »

IT is colder in Detroit...is it not?
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

Troy Loney wrote:
crzymike wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

It's frustrating as hell, just a big slap in the face. I really don't know how to spin it, he'd rather play for detroit.
What you said pretty much sums it up. It hurts big time, it definitely feels like a slap in the face, a kick in the groin or someone trying to feed you a centipede when your not looking (ewwwwwww)!
Last edited by crzymike on Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

nocera wrote:I love that we're upset at him for going to the Wings for less money yet if the situation were reversed and he chose more money over signing with us, we'd be all over him for being a gold digger.
He's blatantly saying he'd rather just go play on a loaded team an win easily then come back here and finish the job they started last season. This is probably the only possible decision he could have made that would piss off pen's fans.
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by duke66 »

nocera wrote:I love that we're upset at him for going to the Wings for less money yet if the situation were reversed and he chose more money over signing with us, we'd be all over him for being a gold digger.
...touche!!...
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

I guess I don't understand this "slap in the face" stuff. Dude was only a Penguin for four months.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by farnham16 »

Wouldn't it be the greatest thing of all time if we beat the Wings in the 09 Finals?
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by scals37 »

one thing that can be pulled possibly positive from this is the fact that he signed for less than anticipated which should really lower the bar for how much we will sign a good winger for.... i doubt anyone will be stupid enough to demand near or over that
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

farnham16 wrote:Wouldn't it be the greatest thing of all time if we beat the Wings in the 09 Finals?
Ben please be realistic. I'd love that also but its just not gonna happen. :(
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by crzymike »

Troy Loney wrote:
He's blatantly saying he'd rather just go play on a loaded team an win easily then come back here and finish the job they started last season. This is probably the only possible decision he could have made that would piss off pen's fans.
Agreed, if he took more somewhere else that would be much easier to stomach.
TKovacs2
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by TKovacs2 »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
NYPensFan wrote:Now the Pens have an incentive to beat Detroit next year in the cup finals! Wouldn't that be sweet?
I don't know if that is possible with Hossa on that team now. They may set a record for wins in a season, and then not lose a playoff game.
Wait a second, who signed with the Red Wings? Marian Hossa or Jesus Christ?

I think you need to reevaluate your opinion of Hossa if you think he's going to make the Red Wings the greatest team of all time.
element1286
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by element1286 »

This is one of the most baffling decisions I have ever seen. And the rich keep on getting richer. Why Detroit? Why one year?