Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by KG »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:02 pm Let the offseason begin!
Best time of the year ! Let’s go KD!
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

KG wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:11 pm
lemieuxReturns wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:02 pm Let the offseason begin!
Best time of the year ! Let’s go KD!
The wife just asked why they are still playing hockey at the end of June. Because, it's hockey being played in Florida, I replied. Wait, she says, we were just down in Coachella Valley, and they were still playing...

Time for a bathroom break escape.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:02 pm Are there any other sites out there besides Puckpedia that are better?
No. Not really. PuckPedia is going to be the only game in town. Hockey gods preserve us if they ever sell out.
DeHaven162

Post by DeHaven162 »

I'd take Lomberg for this bottom six. The guy flys and hits everything.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:44 am
Ohio_Pens_fan wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:02 pm Are there any other sites out there besides Puckpedia that are better?
No. Not really. PuckPedia is going to be the only game in town. Hockey gods preserve us if they ever sell out.
This is another site that has been out there for awhile called Spotrac. The good is, it is laid out much better than Puckpedia. Much more concise and "spreadsheet looking," which is helpful. The bad is, it doesn't have nearly as much info as CapFriendly or Puckpedia. Doesn't layout the salaries year by year (like a...spreadsheet), just puts salary and year their contract ends. But, it is an alternative as well.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/cap/_/year/ ... mum_space2
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DeHaven162 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:28 am I'd take Lomberg for this bottom six. The guy flys and hits everything.
That's supposed to be what Acciari is/was! So frustrating that we didn't put him in the right position. If Acciari is back next season I hope he's playing RW and brings his physicality back to his game.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

After seeing the return Boston got for Ullmark, I doubt the Pens trade Jarry.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

The Phoenix Coyotes are no more. According to news out of Arizona, owner Alex Meruelo has given up his fight and plans to walk away from the Arizona Coyotes franchise. If you weren't aware, when NHL decided to move the Coyotes to Utah, Meruelo maintained ownership of all Coyotes intellectual property (team name, colors, records, etc, etc), and I believe he was given 5 years of owning those rights and to build a hockey suitable arena in the Phoenix area.

Meruelo's plan was to win the land auction north of the city and start construction on an arena that likely would have been ready in 2-3 years. This week, the local government cancelled the land auction (with Meruelo expected to easily win the bid on the land), stating that the land was not properly zoned, and that Meruelo would need to file for a Special Use permit before the auction could take place. From what I have read, it had been stated in the past that the land was not zoned as some were interpreting and that there could be issues.

Since Meruelo has no land, he's unlikely to hit the NHL's timeline for bringing hockey back to Arizona.

Article this morning from out in Phoenix: https://gophnx.com/sources-alex-meruelo ... m-coyotes/
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Colorado re-signs Casey Middlestadt, 3 years, 5.75M AAV
Winnipeg re-signs Dylan Demelo, 4 years, 4.9M AAV
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:13 am Colorado re-signs Casey Middlestadt, 3 years, 5.75M AAV
Was reading Colorado might have to move on from Ross Colton for cap reasons. He would be the perfect 3C for the Pens.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by bse »

The Philadelphia Flyera have won twice as many Conn Smythe trophies as Stanley Cups.

Let that sink in.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:14 am
FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:13 am Colorado re-signs Casey Middlestadt, 3 years, 5.75M AAV
Was reading Colorado might have to move on from Ross Colton for cap reasons. He would be the perfect 3C for the Pens.
Colorado has only 13 players signed, and only 10.4M in cap space after signing Middlestadt. Colorado is a mess because:

--They have Landeskog making 7M and they don't know his status. Last I heard, he might be ready to go in November, but not certain.
--They have Nichushkin in player assistance program. From what I see in CapFriendly, it appears they are getting full relief on his 6.125M. But if he's ready to return....????

Colton would make a good 3C, but, what are the Penguins going to offer the AVs? Dubas isn't going to trade away a high prospect or a high pick. Could Dubas get lucky and maybe offer POJ and a 2026 2nd/3rd in Colton and the rights to Brandon Duhaime? Colorado can't take much money back in any deal. They only have 4 d-men signed right now. We have 2 3rds in 2026 (ours and SJ). POJ and a 2026 3rd would be the best we could do, me thinks.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Wyopen wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:37 am After seeing the return Boston got for Ullmark, I doubt the Pens trade Jarry.
And it also seems like most of the teams looking for goalies have made their moves, and there aren't many left to want Jarry or initiate any sort of bidding war for him.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

largegarlic wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:28 am
And it also seems like most of the teams looking for goalies have made their moves, and there aren't many left to want Jarry or initiate any sort of bidding war for him.
That's too bad. I want him out of that room.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Mad City Mike wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:20 pm
largegarlic wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:28 am
That's too bad. I want him out of that room.
Maybe the Penguins should invite Tom Barrasso, Jarry's #35 counterpart, to spend a few weeks with Jarry, teaching him the finer points of handling the media and how to be a good teammate to your fellow goalies. :lol:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

That Demelo contract should be a good comp for the next MP contract. Demelo is a defensive d man, righty too, which usually is more of a premium than LHD.

I would give MP $5mill long term.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:09 am The Phoenix Coyotes are no more. According to news out of Arizona, owner Alex Meruelo has given up his fight and plans to walk away from the Arizona Coyotes franchise. If you weren't aware, when NHL decided to move the Coyotes to Utah, Meruelo maintained ownership of all Coyotes intellectual property (team name, colors, records, etc, etc), and I believe he was given 5 years of owning those rights and to build a hockey suitable arena in the Phoenix area.

Meruelo's plan was to win the land auction north of the city and start construction on an arena that likely would have been ready in 2-3 years. This week, the local government cancelled the land auction (with Meruelo expected to easily win the bid on the land), stating that the land was not properly zoned, and that Meruelo would need to file for a Special Use permit before the auction could take place. From what I have read, it had been stated in the past that the land was not zoned as some were interpreting and that there could be issues.

Since Meruelo has no land, he's unlikely to hit the NHL's timeline for bringing hockey back to Arizona.

Article this morning from out in Phoenix: https://gophnx.com/sources-alex-meruelo ... m-coyotes/
How long was it going to take the NHL to realize that the city/state/ etc. of Arizona has never had any interest in maintaining an NHL team there. Truly, after a while it became a pathetic standoff between 2 entities that don't seem to like each other very much. Take the hint and move on already!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Jesse just tweeted that Freidman reporting that Jarry is "on the block"

Make it happen KD...make it happen.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:03 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:09 am The Phoenix Coyotes are no more. According to news out of Arizona, owner Alex Meruelo has given up his fight and plans to walk away from the Arizona Coyotes franchise. If you weren't aware, when NHL decided to move the Coyotes to Utah, Meruelo maintained ownership of all Coyotes intellectual property (team name, colors, records, etc, etc), and I believe he was given 5 years of owning those rights and to build a hockey suitable arena in the Phoenix area.

How long was it going to take the NHL to realize that the city/state/ etc. of Arizona has never had any interest in maintaining an NHL team there. Truly, after a while it became a pathetic standoff between 2 entities that don't seem to like each other very much. Take the hint and move on already!
I think one of the large problems with Phoenix having an NHL club is, the NHL was so desperate to make it work, they continually allowed sub-standard ownership groups to run the team, just to try and make it work. There were already horror stories about Meruelo before he came into control, and afterwards, stories of telling vendors/suppliers/etc "yeah, I don't care that we have a contract. I don't like your price. I'm only paying this much," constant payroll issues, etc.

The ownership history:
--2 American owners who's original plan was to move the Winnipeg franchise to Minnesota, but couldn't get an arena built
--After 2 years, 1 owner bought out the other, but couldn't get more investors.
--2nd original owner sold team in 2001 to Phoenix developer Steve Ellman (with Gretzky as part owner)
--2005, Ellman sells the team, a lacrosse team, and the arena lease to Jerry Moyes, who was part owner of MLB Diamondbacks
--2008, media becomes aware of massive losses and that NHL was paying some of the team's bills.
--2009, the NHL strips Moyes of his ownership, after he put the team into bankruptcy hours before the NHL was to present an offer for Jerry Reinsdorf (owner of Bulls and White Sox) to buy the club. Moyes also tried to sell the team to our old friend Jim Balsille, who's plan was, of course, to move the team to Hamilton.
--NHL buys the team out of bankruptcy in 2009, but multiple bids to buy the team fall through
--2013, Renaissance Sports and Entertainment buys the team
--2014, RSE sells to Andrew Barroway
--2019, Meruelo buys the team

7 different owners in 25 years, with the NHL and original ownership group the two longest groups maintaining ownership. As for the cities around Phoenix, doing some research on this for this post, it sounds like the team screwed over various cities along the way, likely leading to the problems. From what I read, I believe in 2010-2011 Glendale has to guarantee the team's losses to prevent it from being moved, and 2014 Glendale only received about 2/3 of the money they were expected to recoup after poor ticket sales, parking revenue, and naming rights.

Just a giant cluster-F of things that went wrong.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

KG wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:25 pm Jesse just tweeted that Freidman reporting that Jarry is "on the block"

What are some realistic destinations for Jarry?
I'm thinking perhaps SJ? Chicago? Toronto? Colorado?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:55 pm
KG wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:25 pm Jesse just tweeted that Freidman reporting that Jarry is "on the block"

Detroit
Seattle
Toronto
Calgary

Colorado has Georgiev, and doesn't really have the cap room to acquire Jarry....unless they want to send us Colton back for Jarry.

If rumors were true that Dubas has interest in Mangiapane, after moving Markstrom, I'd be all over Calgary to make a Jarry for Mangiapane swap. Vladar is sub-average, and Wolf still has waiver exemption next year. Jarry is from BC (outside of Vancouver), so I doubt he'd block a trade to Calgary.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:21 pm
dark_forces wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:55 pm

Detroit
Seattle
Toronto
Calgary

Colorado has Georgiev, and doesn't really have the cap room to acquire Jarry....unless they want to send us Colton back for Jarry.

If rumors were true that Dubas has interest in Mangiapane, after moving Markstrom, I'd be all over Calgary to make a Jarry for Mangiapane swap. Vladar is sub-average, and Wolf still has waiver exemption next year. Jarry is from BC (outside of Vancouver), so I doubt he'd block a trade to Calgary.
I could see Detroit. I read a rumor that Yzerman kept tabs on Jarry around the trade deadline and could revisit. I don't see Seattle as a match with the overly expensive Grubauer in tow. That seems like it would be too big of a move for them. Toronto would be too intense for Jarry. He's unproven when it comes to responding well to pressure and playoff expectation.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

So the problem with all of the above is who plays goal if you trade Jarry. Ned is not a number 1. Even at the end of the season, his advanced stats were not that great even though he was winning. Blomqvist doesn't seem to be ready yet. So unless you do a goalie for goalie change of scenery type trade, I don't se homw it works. They have very little to offert to acquire a goalie.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Mad City Mike wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:49 pm So the problem with all of the above is who plays goal if you trade Jarry. Ned is not a number 1. Even at the end of the season, his advanced stats were not that great even though he was winning. Blomqvist doesn't seem to be ready yet. So unless you do a goalie for goalie change of scenery type trade, I don't se homw it works. They have very little to offert to acquire a goalie.
If you can get a team to take on most of Jarry's salary, we could sign a veteran backup/split starter as insurance—someone like Kahkonen or Brossoit on a 1 year deal—in case Blomqvist isn't ready, or injuries hit.
Or, maybe you take back one year of Husso from Detroit as part of a Jarry swap—that's less than 1 million difference in salary for next season.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Mad City Mike wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:49 pm So the problem with all of the above is who plays goal if you trade Jarry. Ned is not a number 1. Even at the end of the season, his advanced stats were not that great even though he was winning. Blomqvist doesn't seem to be ready yet. So unless you do a goalie for goalie change of scenery type trade, I don't se homw it works. They have very little to offert to acquire a goalie.
If they make a trade with Calgary then I would think Vladar would come the other way. If not, there is Talbot, Stolarz, Samsonov in UFA. I don't think they will bring in an expensive 1A goalie.