Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Ericf »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:16 pm Yohe just published an article on 5 free agents the Penguins should target:

1) DeBrusk - said he a good, not great player, but many teams are going to be in on him. If they got him, they'd play him next to Crosby, bump DOC to 3rd line, and their overall depth would look good.

2) Max Domi - Says he has been rumored here so many times. Would add to center depth, and be better than just about everyone in their current bottom 6.

3) Dakota Joshua - Mentions his size and physical play would be a welcome addition to our bottom 6, but, he's had one good season so far, his shooting percentage isn't sustainable, and need to avoid overpaying.

4) Tyler Bertuzzi

5) Guentzel

I like DeBrusk, but he's likely going to be overpaid by someone. Ditto on Joshua. Domi and Bertuzzi may end up being cheaper options than people think, and I just don't see the stars aligning for Guentzel to return.
Yeah, none of these guys are the way to go lol except Joshua, but he’s going to be way overpaid and given too much term for a bottom sixer. Peak Yohe. Need to find players 26 and younger, and hopefully way younger, including some already the Pens’ property.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Ericf wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:42 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:16 pm Yohe just published an article on 5 free agents the Penguins should target:

1) DeBrusk - said he a good, not great player, but many teams are going to be in on him. If they got him, they'd play him next to Crosby, bump DOC to 3rd line, and their overall depth would look good.

2) Max Domi - Says he has been rumored here so many times. Would add to center depth, and be better than just about everyone in their current bottom 6.

3) Dakota Joshua - Mentions his size and physical play would be a welcome addition to our bottom 6, but, he's had one good season so far, his shooting percentage isn't sustainable, and need to avoid overpaying.

4) Tyler Bertuzzi

5) Guentzel

I like DeBrusk, but he's likely going to be overpaid by someone. Ditto on Joshua. Domi and Bertuzzi may end up being cheaper options than people think, and I just don't see the stars aligning for Guentzel to return.
Yeah, none of these guys are the way to go lol except Joshua, but he’s going to be way overpaid and given too much term for a bottom sixer. Peak Yohe. Need to find players 26 and younger, and hopefully way younger, including some already the Pens’ property.
26 and younger is nice in theory, but, anyone in that age group is not a UFA (except in very rare circumstances)...which means you have to trade to acquire them. And to trade for several of those guys means you have to have desirable assets...which the Penguins don't have or don't want to part with. This means for now, Dubas should be concentrating on whichever UFAs are under 30 and would fit out system or holes that we have. That means guys that are 27, 28, 29. He might be able to pluck a guy in that 26 and under in a trade, but, if we aren't giving up 1sts, or Yager or Blomqvist...then we don't have the assets to swing 2-4 trades for 26 and under guys. Just not gonna happen.

I wouldn't overpay for any of those guys above, except maybe DeBrusk based on his age and skillset. I like Joshua, but I think there are a few other players out there that can provide a similar skillset for a more reasonable price.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

4) Tyler Bertuzzi

5) Guentzel

What are you talking about dude?? DeBrusk is the way to go, he is 27yrs old.. he should be our target
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens4Life wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:00 pm

4) Tyler Bertuzzi

5) Guentzel

What are you talking about dude?? DeBrusk is the way to go, he is 27yrs old.. he should be our target
DeBrusk should certainly be a target, but unless we are overpaying I would think he would pick a contender to go to first. I'm not expecting the Pens to be active on any of the big free agents out there come July 1, and that's OK. No more 5-6 year contracts for bottom 6 forwards or 3rd pairing d men!

Hopefully we can make a hockey trade or 2 and bring in someone younger with term for cap relief etc.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

The UFAs mentioned are going to require 6-7 year contracts at $5M +, maybe a little less for Joshua, especially if they are 27-28 years old. That’s not the way we should be going. We should try to trade for younger players, prospects, sign not qualified RFAs, undrafted FAs.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Ericf wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:22 pm The UFAs mentioned are going to require 6-7 year contracts at $5M +, maybe a little less for Joshua, especially if they are 27-28 years old. That’s not the way we should be going. We should try to trade for younger players, prospects, sign not qualified RFAs, undrafted FAs.
I just don't see the Pens doling out more than 3-4 years for any UFA. Instead, I think they'll deal picks for prospects/on the cusp NHLers who may be blocked by their current organizations or sign younger UFAs to 2-3 yr deals to fill specific holes in the event some of our current younger players don't step up.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Sounds like the Devils are looking to move on from our boy John Marino. They are looking at Pesce in free agency...
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

KG wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:02 pm Sounds like the Devils are looking to move on from our boy John Marino. They are looking at Pesce in free agency...
Pesce would be an ideal pairing for Luke Hughes who really needs a lot of help in a defensive partner at this stage of his career. You can see all the talent he has but he looked very over his head for stretches last year. Good luck on moving the Marino contract w/o a serious sweetener because he had a real down year himself too and he's so inconsistent.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Putting 1 and 1 together to get three...based on new article in The Athletic, sounds like if Ottawa can negotiate an extension for Ullmark, then Boston may be able to get Shane Pinto in return (no word Ottawa would give him up). If there is no extension, sounds like Chychrun might be the return.

Chychrun for Ullmark straight up sounds like the easier trade to pull off. Both UFAs and the money is similar.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:21 pm Putting 1 and 1 together to get three...based on new article in The Athletic, sounds like if Ottawa can negotiate an extension for Ullmark, then Boston may be able to get Shane Pinto in return (no word Ottawa would give him up). If there is no extension, sounds like Chychrun might be the return.

Chychrun for Ullmark straight up sounds like the easier trade to pull off. Both UFAs and the money is similar.

One less team for Jarry...
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

TRADE ALERT: The #Sens have acquired G Linus Ullmark from
@NHLBruins
in exchange for (Boston’s original) ’24 first-round draft pick (no. 25 overall), C Mark Kastelic and G Joonas Korpisalo. As part of the transaction, the #Sens will retain 25% of Korpisalo’s remaining salary.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

No tea party for Boston. Weak return.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Maestro wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:54 pm No tea party for Boston. Weak return.
Not bad since I haven't seen that Ullmark has signed an extension.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Expect it announced come July 1 when it is legal to do so.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Surprised Boston agreed to take Korpisalo. Even with retention, it's still a tough contract.

Thinking Ullmark isn't looking to extend anytime soon, hence the not great return.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

CapFriendly already updated! Gonna miss that site.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Bettman should recognize the season has gone on way too long with all of these big trades being done during the finals.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Pitts wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:14 pm CapFriendly already updated! Gonna miss that site.
yea. wasnt there a site before capfriendly though? I thought we used a different site for a long time and it went away once the owner passed away?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:36 pm
Pitts wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:14 pm CapFriendly already updated! Gonna miss that site.
yea. wasnt there a site before capfriendly though? I thought we used a different site for a long time and it went away once the owner passed away?
CapGeek was the original site. The owner/operator of that site passed away from cancer. I believe CapFriendly worked out something with his family to take some of Matthew Wuest's (CapGeek founder) site. Somewhere after CapFriendly popped up, another site called General Fanager also arose. CapFriendly was the definite leader, and at some point, I believe General Fanager sold some of its features to CapFriendly (I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the Armchair GM feature on CapFriendly came from General Fanager).

The biggest issue with "the next one" which appears to be Puckpedia is...it took CapFriendly a good 3-5 years to get where it is today. Puckpedia has good information, but the layout is really poor right now. I counted the other day, and what CapFriendly displayed for team information in 5 pages (using page up/page down to see all the info), Puckpedia was around 13 to 14 pages. It's going to take a few years for Puckpedia to catch up to where CapFriendly was. So for several years, I expect this type of information to be a little harder to obtain.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:42 pm
lemieuxReturns wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:36 pm
CapGeek was the original site. The owner/operator of that site passed away from cancer. I believe CapFriendly worked out something with his family to take some of Matthew Wuest's (CapGeek founder) site. Somewhere after CapFriendly popped up, another site called General Fanager also arose. CapFriendly was the definite leader, and at some point, I believe General Fanager sold some of its features to CapFriendly (I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the Armchair GM feature on CapFriendly came from General Fanager).

The biggest issue with "the next one" which appears to be Puckpedia is...it took CapFriendly a good 3-5 years to get where it is today. Puckpedia has good information, but the layout is really poor right now. I counted the other day, and what CapFriendly displayed for team information in 5 pages (using page up/page down to see all the info), Puckpedia was around 13 to 14 pages. It's going to take a few years for Puckpedia to catch up to where CapFriendly was. So for several years, I expect this type of information to be a little harder to obtain.
Yea, CapGeek! Do we know what will end up being still available from CapFriendly yet? It would make so much sense for the NHL to employ some developers and build their own. The traffic to the site alone would probably be worth it for them.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:49 pm Do we know what will end up being still available from CapFriendly yet?
Yes... absolutely nothing. The Craps intend to shutter the public site completely.
Ohio_Pens_fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ohio_Pens_fan »

Are there any other sites out there besides Puckpedia that are better?
Last edited by Ohio_Pens_fan on Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

WTF, how is that tripping penalty?? Foegele was literally flopping over Tkachuk.. f**k the refs again!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I don’t get the Bruins trade when they take back Korpisalo. Even though Ottawa retained, his contract is $3mill. Ullmark is $5mill.

Bruins are only saving $2mill in cap space. If that was the best trade available Boston should have just kept Swayman and Ullmark for another season.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Let the offseason begin!