Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

Pens4Life wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 4:19 am I agree with Puck Lurker,we are far from real contender, not just one top 6 LW swap, new 3rd winger and one tough RHD away.. we are 6-7 players away and new coach..

Happy for Panthers,one more win and back to finals! Dont wanna see NYR in finals...
I agree. We are not a contender. But as a team, you basically need to put out the vibe that you are a contender, or you are rebuilding. Putting out a message that screams, "Eh, we'll be happy if we squeak into the playoffs..." What UFA is going to want to come here to play for that? Maybe a guy who is coming in on a low end contract, just happy to get some more ice time. But if the Penguins aren't looking to make it back to the playoffs and contend, then the big UFAs aren't going to want to come here.

We all know, based on what we've seen on the roster 2 years, and what we've seen in the playoffs this year, this team isn't going to keep up in the playoffs. They don't have the right mix.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

2 Penguins items from DK's Insider today:

1) DK says he has recently learned that Dubas tried to move Eller at the trade deadline and there were no takers. As DK said, just WOW. The guy had an incredible season and there were definitely some playoff teams that could have used him.

2) There seems to be a growing sense from some members of the organization that Brayden Yager is a legitimate threat to make the Penguins roster this fall. He'll need to add upper body strength and show resiliency to work through it, but, his stock is way up because his shot and skill is already at NHL levels.

I know Jesse and Taylor Haase have both said he's a year or two away because of the strength and "boy against men" type of stigma, but, I also do recall Dubas talking about how all the AHL guys plus Pickering and Yager having a real shot if they do the things they need to, show some fight and improvement in their game, etc. Yager's really the only one who's had the opportunity to do that, and I think he's seized it 110%.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 10:29 am 2 Penguins items from DK's Insider today:

1) DK says he has recently learned that Dubas tried to move Eller at the trade deadline and there were no takers. As DK said, just WOW. The guy had an incredible season and there were definitely some playoff teams that could have used him.

2) There seems to be a growing sense from some members of the organization that Brayden Yager is a legitimate threat to make the Penguins roster this fall. He'll need to add upper body strength and show resiliency to work through it, but, his stock is way up because his shot and skill is already at NHL levels.

I know Jesse and Taylor Haase have both said he's a year or two away because of the strength and "boy against men" type of stigma, but, I also do recall Dubas talking about how all the AHL guys plus Pickering and Yager having a real shot if they do the things they need to, show some fight and improvement in their game, etc. Yager's really the only one who's had the opportunity to do that, and I think he's seized it 110%.
1) If true, I'll give GMKD some credit for trying. Definitely a guy that could be used by most of the teams now playing golf for a playoff run, but sometimes it just doesn't happen.

2) I'd like to see Yager and Pickering pushing their way onto the team from camp. I would be overjoyed to be tight in cap space, carrying 14F-7D or 13F-8D if we've got those two staying up. There's every chance we're starting the season with SOIR anyway; Nieto, Letang, Ludvig. We have room at the inn.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 10:29 am 2 Penguins items from DK's Insider today:

DK has a serious man-crush on Eller. It's a little silly. I think if Eller didn't have the extra year on his contract and was a rental, we could have moved him at the deadline, but we would have gotten nothing back. Zucker only netted a 5th round pick. That said, I would think now that the cap has gone up that Eller will have some value. We need a better, more offensive 3C and 4C should go to a kid (Poulin or Ponomarov). Acciari they should look to move too.

I hope Dubas does try to clear out some bottom 6 spots for more youth. Smith, Eller, Acciari should all be moved out for cap space and upgrades.
Last edited by KG on Fri May 31, 2024 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 10:29 am
If this is true, I would change the strategy to sign players to 1-year deals this summer right before camp starts. Every team in the playoffs could have used Eller. But maybe the second year is what scared them away. Grab up a bunch of prove-it players onto 1 year deals.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:13 am
FLPensFan wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 10:29 am
If this is true, I would change the strategy to sign players to 1-year deals this summer right before camp starts. Every team in the playoffs could have used Eller. But maybe the second year is what scared them away. Grab up a bunch of prove-it players onto 1 year deals.
My guess is the extra year term was likely the issue. On the flip side, what I have heard is that many players that have been skimping along on year deals in the flat cap are now going to be looking for multi-year deals in the UFA market. So don't expect guys like a Domi or Bertuzzi to take another 1 year flyer deal. They'll want term.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

I would think that if Eller has a season this year like he did last he should be able to fetch a 3rd or 4th rounder at the deadline. I figured he was as good as gone last deadline but I agree that the extra term made it not worth it to deal him. This season, if they're in the same situation, I assume he'll be gone and that someone will part with a half-decent pick for him. I'm often mistaken, though... :D
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

ahawk9 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:29 pm I would think that if Eller has a season this year like he did last he should be able to fetch a 3rd or 4th rounder at the deadline. I figured he was as good as gone last deadline but I agree that the extra term made it not worth it to deal him. This season, if they're in the same situation, I assume he'll be gone and that someone will part with a half-decent pick for him. I'm often mistaken, though... :D
While teams weren't interested at the deadline, they may be if they miss out on their bottom six center targets in free agency and Eller's still available for a 3rd round pick. That's also assuming the Penguins nab a new 3rd line center in the process.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Random thought: assuming Dallas lets Matt Duchene walk, is he an interesting or realistic option for the Penguins on a reasonable 1-year deal? (He made 3 mill. this past season).
He seems to consistently put up points, which is what we need more than anything and could step in as our 2nd line center if they choose to shift Malkin to LW.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I think this would be more of a Brassard situation, unfortunately. The only way I would consider Duchene here is if the Penguins decided they were moving Malkin to wing, and they wanted to play Duchene at 2C. That would also be a bit scary because of Malkin's turnovers, and historically Duchene has not been a great defensive player (although I think it has improved in recent years).

If he's going to be a 3C, I'm not sure he'd get enough ice time to put up the numbers you would expect from him. It's also a concern for me how many teams he's been through and the way he's left. He has always come off as someone that thinks he's better than the team, and if the team is not doing well, he wants to bail. Kind of reminds me a bit of PLD who is already on his 3rd team at age 25.

I'm really warming up to the idea of Yager making the team, and going after Sissons from Nashville as a 3C option. See if we can trade Smith for Sissons straight up, or through in a later round pick and prospect. Sissons had played some 2C for Nashville, and as a long-term 2C, that's not a strong spot for him. But he would be a solid 3C, RH, he throws the body, kills penalties, can play the PP. He'd essentially be our new ERod. I also think if you could have something like Yager-Sissons-DOC as our 3rd line, that would be good, with Duhaime/Lomberg-Eller-Puljujarvi as a 4th line, and Poulin and Puustinen as extras. Then go out and get a DeBrusk type for the top 6. Or you move DOC up there, and slot in Puustinen on that 3rd line.

Sissons would allow Yager to take some faceoffs at times to work on that skill. Not sure if Yager will be a C or wing at the NHL level, but he's probably better suited for wing until he bulks up a bit more. Sissons signed for this year and next would allow us to see where Yager is heading into 26-27 season...if he can take over 3C or even 2C duties, or remains at wing.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

dark_forces suggested they bring him in at 2C. It would not make sense to bring him in at 3C. If they moved Malkin to wing, with the current roster, there is no way he would be on Duchene's wing, it would be Crosby's. Guentzel is gone. Bunting or O'Connor would be Duchene's LW, with Rakell/Rust playing for 1RW/2RW. Hopefully Smith will be elsewhere... in this case, it still works for moving him for Sissons, and Yager on the 3rd line. Bringing in Duchene works for your scenario in every way... if they could sign him.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I think the Pens should stay away from the older UFA route. They should go more toward the trade route and use their cap space to their benefit.

I would go get Kotkaniemi. Only 23. Carolina looking to move him. Could be long term 3C maybe graduate to 2C.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Sigwolf wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:01 pm dark_forces suggested they bring him in at 2C. It would not make sense to bring him in at 3C. If they moved Malkin to wing, with the current roster, there is no way he would be on Duchene's wing, it would be Crosby's. Guentzel is gone. Bunting or O'Connor would be Duchene's LW, with Rakell/Rust playing for 1RW/2RW. Hopefully Smith will be elsewhere... in this case, it still works for moving him for Sissons, and Yager on the 3rd line. Bringing in Duchene works for your scenario in every way... if they could sign him.
The thing to remember is, Duchene was bought out by Nashville, and he's getting paid 1.566M from Nashville for the next 5 seasons. That can help keep his cost down. I just don't think it's a great move. I think he'd suck up the space or prevent us getting someone like DeBrusk (which isn't a guarantee anyways), and I don't like his overall character. He just strikes me as a bad locker room add based on his history.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:20 pm
Sigwolf wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:01 pm dark_forces suggested they bring him in at 2C. It would not make sense to bring him in at 3C. If they moved Malkin to wing, with the current roster, there is no way he would be on Duchene's wing, it would be Crosby's. Guentzel is gone. Bunting or O'Connor would be Duchene's LW, with Rakell/Rust playing for 1RW/2RW. Hopefully Smith will be elsewhere... in this case, it still works for moving him for Sissons, and Yager on the 3rd line. Bringing in Duchene works for your scenario in every way... if they could sign him.
The thing to remember is, Duchene was bought out by Nashville, and he's getting paid 1.566M from Nashville for the next 5 seasons. That can help keep his cost down. I just don't think it's a great move. I think he'd suck up the space or prevent us getting someone like DeBrusk (which isn't a guarantee anyways), and I don't like his overall character. He just strikes me as a bad locker room add based on his history.
I don’t see Duchene coming here. Unless we’re overpaying, why would he choose us?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Moose Jaw thrashed by Saginaw 7-1, eliminated from playing in the Memorial Cup finals game. No points for Yager in that game. His linemate Jagger Firkus got the only goal on a pick-off pass to a 2-1 breakaway with Firkus having a clear lane to cut to the net and flip a backhand in the net.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pagotta reporting the cap is going up another 5% the following season, 25-26, to $92mill.

Get ready for some inflated AAV’s .
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Some good info from Kingerski on Yager:

The good: Yager’s on-ice performance was slightly different from the optimistic tournament statistics. For a couple of games, he largely focused on defensive responsibilities, taking himself out of the play.

“A lot of these guys get 20-plus shifts every game. So there’s going to be shifts where your job is just to check,” said Moose Jaw coach Mark O’Leary. “You know, it’s not going so well offensively. You’re not playing down there in the fun zone. It’s work. It’s defense. And I think Brayden doesn’t shy away from that. I think that’s a big part of his game. And he likes those challenges against good players.”

The "not good for NHL next year:" Speaking with people around the Moose Jaw team, they expected him to return next season. He’s not quite ready for the NHL, but he’ll surely get a good look in the fall. Our assessment agreed. It’s not a slight on Yager’s potential but an acceptance that his game needs further maturation. That was especially obvious in some of the smaller details that would loom large at the highest level.

His teammates raved about him being a great guy.

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... liminated/
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:35 am Some good info from Kingerski on Yager:

The good: Yager’s on-ice performance was slightly different from the optimistic tournament statistics. For a couple of games, he largely focused on defensive responsibilities, taking himself out of the play.

“A lot of these guys get 20-plus shifts every game. So there’s going to be shifts where your job is just to check,” said Moose Jaw coach Mark O’Leary. “You know, it’s not going so well offensively. You’re not playing down there in the fun zone. It’s work. It’s defense. And I think Brayden doesn’t shy away from that. I think that’s a big part of his game. And he likes those challenges against good players.”

The "not good for NHL next year:" Speaking with people around the Moose Jaw team, they expected him to return next season. He’s not quite ready for the NHL, but he’ll surely get a good look in the fall. Our assessment agreed. It’s not a slight on Yager’s potential but an acceptance that his game needs further maturation. That was especially obvious in some of the smaller details that would loom large at the highest level.

No disrespect to you but Kingerski’s assessments are crap, take with a grain of salt lol. If Yager is one of our top nine best forwards at training camp, he should stay in the NHL. A lot of good forwards struggle in the NHL initially, look at Lafreniere. He can develop his game and whatever else he needs to work on playing for the Pens if he’s one of our best forwards. I honestly see no benefit to him continuing to play in juniors as the oldest kid there. If he could go to AHL, and I’m told no, that would be fine. The Pens can keep him in the NHL and even manage his work load.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Saw a post today from Pro Hockey Rumors about teams about to lose rights to prospects if not signed by today. Penguins have 2, one of which is Timo Nickl (acquired in Anaheim trade) and Noah Collins. Both are defenseman.

Looking at the list around the league, no big names jump out, but, I also looked at guys drafted in the low 100s and under range, and found 1 or 2 guys that the Penguins should look into signing if their rights expire:

1) Jaromir Pytlik, C, 22, RH, 6'2" 2020 4th rounder from NJ- (info all from Elite Prospects) - Pytlik is the quintessential all-around player. Particular amongst his notable attributes are skating, puck control, and finishing. He can break away in an offensive area and create a lot of scoring opportunities. Overall, he has excellent hockey sense. As a result of his speed and strong physical skill, he can make some tough one-on-one moves and often out-muscle defenders. (Pytlik isn't putting up big numbers over there but, I believe he plays for....Kladno. Seems another Jaromir might have some insight as to if taking a flyer on him is a good idea).

2) Alexander Ljungkrantz, RW/LW, 22, LH, 6'1", 2020 3rd rounder from NYI - Ljungkrantz is most effective when he keeps his passes simple and does the dirty work along the boards and in front of the net. He shows good awareness off the puck and can generate good speed up the ice. Ljungkrantz's wrist shot has quite a bit of power to it as well. Ljungkrantz defensive game also revolves around hard work and giving full effort in all situations.

There was no scouting information on this 3rd one, probably because he hasn't done much playing in Sweden's SHL. 2 stints there with mundane stats. Most of his time is in Sweden's 2nd level. But, 21 year old C Oliver Tarnstrom may be available. Yes, he is the son of The Great Dick Tarnstrom. He was a 2020 3rd round pick of the Rangers.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Ericf wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:30 am
FLPensFan wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:35 am Some good info from Kingerski on Yager:

No disrespect to you but Kingerski’s assessments are crap, take with a grain of salt lol. If Yager is one of our top nine best forwards at training camp, he should stay in the NHL. A lot of good forwards struggle in the NHL initially, look at Lafreniere. He can develop his game and whatever else he needs to work on playing for the Pens if he’s one of our best forwards. I honestly see no benefit to him continuing to play in juniors as the oldest kid there. If he could go to AHL, and I’m told no, that would be fine. The Pens can keep him in the NHL and even manage his work load.
I am in 1000% of agreement that "Kingerski's assessments are crap. Maybe even 10000% in agreement. However, these aren't his "assessments" These are direct quotes from Yager's coach, speaking to team sources off the record, and speaking directly to Yager's teammates. That's quite different than Kingerski saying this is his opinion on the matter.

In terms of being NHL ready, it's the Pettersson and POJ effect with Yager...he has the skill level to play in the NHL, but his size and strength playing against older competition will be a factor. Jesse, Taylor, and Kingerski all think he's not ready in that regard to play in the NHL.

The one thing I mentioned earlier is, I haven't heard yet if they think he will be a center or wing at the NHL level. If they want him to be a center only, I think his size and strength lacking now will hurt him. That's why I think, if the Penguins can get another solid 3C like Sissons, and put Yager on the wing, that will allow the Penguins to still utilize his skill, let Yager slide over and take some faceoffs and get some shifts at center throughout the season, but not count on him to make the team only being a center.

I think we'll see in about a month or so how much of a chance Yager will have. I think what we see from Dubas at the draft and in free agency will give us an indication on if there might be a spot open for Yager to battle for in camp.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:41 am
Ericf wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:30 am

I am in 1000% of agreement that "Kingerski's assessments are crap. Maybe even 10000% in agreement. However, these aren't his "assessments" These are direct quotes from Yager's coach, speaking to team sources off the record, and speaking directly to Yager's teammates. That's quite different than Kingerski saying this is his opinion on the matter.

In terms of being NHL ready, it's the Pettersson and POJ effect with Yager...he has the skill level to play in the NHL, but his size and strength playing against older competition will be a factor. Jesse, Taylor, and Kingerski all think he's not ready in that regard to play in the NHL.

The one thing I mentioned earlier is, I haven't heard yet if they think he will be a center or wing at the NHL level. If they want him to be a center only, I think his size and strength lacking now will hurt him. That's why I think, if the Penguins can get another solid 3C like Sissons, and put Yager on the wing, that will allow the Penguins to still utilize his skill, let Yager slide over and take some faceoffs and get some shifts at center throughout the season, but not count on him to make the team only being a center.

I think we'll see in about a month or so how much of a chance Yager will have. I think what we see from Dubas at the draft and in free agency will give us an indication on if there might be a spot open for Yager to battle for in camp.
The only quote we have on the record from the coach is very positive and says nothing about him returning to juniors. Even if we believe the off the record stuff about him returning to juniors, that’s self serving. They’re a better team with him returning. Yes, there are others in the media who think he’ll return to juniors. I see nothing there for him to grow his game. Zack Benson, taken one spot ahead of Yager, just played in the NHL this season at the same weight as Yager is now. He had 30 points. Size has nothing to do with playing in the NHL. The issue would be his processing and foot speed, hockey sense and can he get his shot off against better defenders. Again, if he can show he’s a top nine option for us in that regard compared to others in training camp, he should make the Pens. We’re a team like Buffalo now lol (not a contender) and we should be playing our kids to the extent possible. I think he should start at wing in any event and play on the PP. God knows we could use his shot there
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I think the best thing for Yager is to go into the season and say up front he’s going to be with the team for the first 10 games even if he’s not in the lineup. The more he can be around Crosby to add on to what looks like a very good work ethic is time well spent. Just practicing and traveling with the team to see how things work would be beneficial.

I don’t expect him to stay up unless we have someone injured to start the year and he’s slotted into the top 6 and goes nuts in scoring, doesn’t look like a kid physically like Bedard did last fall and plays responsibly. The least likely would be the physical aspect whether he’s ready or not. No need to rush the kid though, he’s going to be good.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

In the interest of putting together possibilities for next season's roster and making the team younger, I want to bring up Filip Chytil as a trade acquisition. We need a young center with offensive skill. Assuming we trade Smith for a 3rd round pick (assuming this isn't far fetched considering this was the cost to acquire him), we deal one of our 2nd round picks this year, plus the 3rd acquired for Smith to the Rangers for Chytil. This one move makes our lineup deeper by at least pushing Eller to the 4th line, or bolstering the 2nd line by shifting Malkin to the wing, thereby pushing Bunting or DOC to the 3rd line.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:56 pm In the interest of putting together possibilities for next season's roster and making the team younger, I want to bring up Filip Chytil as a trade acquisition. We need a young center with offensive skill. Assuming we trade Smith for a 3rd round pick (assuming this isn't far fetched considering this was the cost to acquire him), we deal one of our 2nd round picks this year, plus the 3rd acquired for Smith to the Rangers for Chytil. This one move makes our lineup deeper by at least pushing Eller to the 4th line, or bolstering the 2nd line by shifting Malkin to the wing, thereby pushing Bunting or DOC to the 3rd line.
Chytil is someone I mentioned at the trade deadline. I think that would have been the time to grab him, if even possible, because at that time, he was still out of the lineup due to post-concussion issues. The Rangers potentially could have grabbed another player that would have helped them in their playoff run while Chytil was out.

The question is, what does NY do next year. Trocheck and Zibanejad have the top 2 center spots locked down for several years. Chytil is playing 2nd line RW when he's in the lineup right now. 3C doesn't seem like the long-term fit for him. He may struggle in that spot to put up the 45 points he did this year. He needs a short term 3C role with 2C minutes in the next year or two.

Like Pinto, I think if you are going after Chytil, this is a guy you'd have to expect to give up someone like Yager in return for him. He's a 24 year old, 21st overall pick who has a 22 goal, 45 point season under his belt. The reason I may hesitate on Chytil, is the post-concussion issues. Players can get past them (like Crosby) or players can have that plague their entire career.