Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Wyopen wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:57 am
Pens4Life wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:18 am I think some critics are too harsh on Dubas.. seems like you guys are excusing Sullivan now thru that!?

Dubas to get F for Acciari, Nieto, Graves? Come on.. Acciari wasnt bad this season, he was solid (almost every game I watched he was noticable for hustle,energy, defensive plays) just missused by Sullivan at C, Nieto barely played 20 games, he didnt find the rythm yet in that span, but you cant even grade that..
Graves was bad,really bad - but who would say he would be that lost and horrible based on previous seasons? Maybe 1 out of 1000! Cant put that on Dubas again! Also lets stop pretending that majority of moves werent dictated by Sullivan too,as he is GM lite..

About trading young guys for some probable targets to improve team, Im pretty much against it.. improve thru trading players that dont fit, vets and FA

Yager, Koivunen, Poulin, Blomquist, Murashev should be untouchable for now, maybe Ponomarev as well..
I agree. If we’re making trades let’s get picks or high prospects. Let’s build the farm system. If we were on the cusp of the SC, maybe Pinto would be a great addition, but we’re not there. I would one day like to “gloat” over our farm system.
I remain on this train. Adding Pinto and/or Sissons to this team for 4-5M and giving up what we have the least of is my worst nightmare.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I know our coach is anti-tough guy, but Freidman said that Tampa is looking to shed salary and Jeannot is available. I would love to have him on this team. Would be cheap to get too since he's coming off a down year and Tampa is in a cap bind. He has the skills to play 3rd line W.

Would be good for Dubas to really take ownership of the team this season. Last season he relied too much on Sullivan since he was so new on the job. I think the Jake trade showed that Dubas is taking over.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:19 am I know our coach is anti-tough guy, but Freidman said that Tampa is looking to shed salary and Jeannot is available. I would love to have him on this team. Would be cheap to get too since he's coming off a down year and Tampa is in a cap bind. He has the skills to play 3rd line W.

Would be good for Dubas to really take ownership of the team this season. Last season he relied too much on Sullivan since he was so new on the job. I think the Jake trade showed that Dubas is taking over.
I really liked Jeannot when he was in Nashville. He had a good season there, but, he hasn't really been good since that 24 goal, 41 point season in 81 games. He's played 131 games since and only has 13 goals and 32 points.

Jeannot has the "potential" to show more upside, but I'm not confident Sullivan's system is going to be the one to get him back to that 20 goal potential. Duhaime or Lomberg would bring a similar element for half or a quarter of the cost, respectively.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:21 am
KG wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:19 am I know our coach is anti-tough guy, but Freidman said that Tampa is looking to shed salary and Jeannot is available. I would love to have him on this team. Would be cheap to get too since he's coming off a down year and Tampa is in a cap bind. He has the skills to play 3rd line W.

I really liked Jeannot when he was in Nashville. He had a good season there, but, he hasn't really been good since that 24 goal, 41 point season in 81 games. He's played 131 games since and only has 13 goals and 32 points.

Jeannot has the "potential" to show more upside, but I'm not confident Sullivan's system is going to be the one to get him back to that 20 goal potential. Duhaime or Lomberg would bring a similar element for half or a quarter of the cost, respectively.
To me, Acciari is exactly the type of player we brought in to play the Duhaim/Lomberg game. I was shocked at how bad Acciari was for us at even strength. If he's on the team next season, he needs to play 4RW.

I would rather not spend more on bottom 6 players that don't contribute offense. John Gruden could probably be the same player as Lomberg is but for NHL minimum. At least Jeannot provides a different element we lack. Not saying we will get him. I'm sure he will be on the Flyers by the draft lol.

I would like to get a younger 3C and bump Eller to 4C and go with Poulin-Eller-Acciari as a 4th line. Although I would look to trade Acciari to make room for Ponemarov and Puljujarvi etc. We need to get some young legs with hunger on the 4th line.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

KG wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:06 pm

To me, Acciari is exactly the type of player we brought in to play the Duhaim/Lomberg game. I was shocked at how bad Acciari was for us at even strength. If he's on the team next season, he needs to play 4RW.

I would rather not spend more on bottom 6 players that don't contribute offense. John Gruden could probably be the same player as Lomberg is but for NHL minimum. At least Jeannot provides a different element we lack. Not saying we will get him. I'm sure he will be on the Flyers by the draft lol.

I would like to get a younger 3C and bump Eller to 4C and go with Poulin-Eller-Acciari as a 4th line. Although I would look to trade Acciari to make room for Ponemarov and Puljujarvi etc. We need to get some young legs with hunger on the 4th line.
I agree with what you said completely. We have enough young/inexpensive players who should be able to compete and play 4th line minutes, we don't need Acciari. He's a player that belongs on a contender.
Eller as the 4th line center would be ideal and he could be flanked by any number of combinations—Gruden, Poulin, Ponomarev, Pulijujarvi.
The more I think about offseason acquisitions, the more I would focus on a 3rd line (2nd line-capable center) and a top-two-line LW (assuming Smith and his salary are gone).
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

dark_forces wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:16 pm

I agree with what you said completely. We have enough young/inexpensive players who should be able to compete and play 4th line minutes, we don't need Acciari. He's a player that belongs on a contender.
Eller as the 4th line center would be ideal and he could be flanked by any number of combinations—Gruden, Poulin, Ponomarev, Pulijujarvi.
The more I think about offseason acquisitions, the more I would focus on a 3rd line (2nd line-capable center) and a top-two-line LW (assuming Smith and his salary are gone). We probably shouldn't be bringing in veteran 4th line forwards either through trades or free agency.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:17 pm

The more I think about offseason acquisitions, the more I would focus on a 3rd line (2nd line-capable center) and a top-two-line LW (assuming Smith and his salary are gone). We probably shouldn't be bringing in veteran 4th line forwards either through trades or free agency.
The problem is, this team needs depth. Ponomarev and Koivunen should not be in the conversation this year because...they have waiver exemption. On a team with a handful of good, ready prospects, maybe you can give those guys a shot. On a team as barren as Pittsburgh, the team still needs to utilize the Hinostroza, Zohorna, Koppanen type model, where the team loads up on those types as much as they can (limited by AHL veteran rule).

Because when you are 3 or 4 forwards deep into the injury pool, not having some of those guys around will really hurt the team.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:27 pm

The problem is, this team needs depth. Ponomarev and Koivunen should not be in the conversation this year because...they have waiver exemption. On a team with a handful of good, ready prospects, maybe you can give those guys a shot. On a team as barren as Pittsburgh, the team still needs to utilize the Hinostroza, Zohorna, Koppanen type model, where the team loads up on those types as much as they can (limited by AHL veteran rule).

Because when you are 3 or 4 forwards deep into the injury pool, not having some of those guys around will really hurt the team.
They ought to revisit the waivers exemption rules. It's keeping young blood out of the league more often than not.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:55 pm

They ought to revisit the waivers exemption rules. It's keeping young blood out of the league more often than not.
I have some comments on this area, but I'll start with a question(s)? How do you think it is keeping young guys of the league, and what would you do to change it?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Damn...Waddell getting POHO, GM, and alternate board of governors duties in Columbus. Davidson becomes senior advisor and alternate BOG as well (he was POHO).
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:30 pm Damn...Waddell getting POHO, GM, and alternate board of governors duties in Columbus. Davidson becomes senior advisor and alternate BOG as well (he was POHO).
I'll admit I secretly root for this team to at least be a consistent playoff qualifier.
Ever since Dubois forced his way out, top picks repeatedly bottom out, and GM Kekalainen's countless seasons of aimlessness, I've quietly wished them well.
After 20+ years, the fans deserve better.
I would first (I know it's a small thing) make the alternate jersey the new primary ones, with a road version added to the mix. The cannon logo is a winner and would mark a new beginning.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Good point. Players (tweeners) like that should be kept around in case the younger guys don't prove worthy of a lineup spot. But, the days of signing the next round of Acciari, Nieto, McGinn types should be over.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

The problem though...Acciari is 32. That's a tough game to play as you get older, whereas a Duhaime and Lomberg are still in their 20s, cheaper, and shouldn't have NMC like Acciari does. But, I do agree that Acciari should have been better and I'm not sure you can 100% blame him when Sullivan refused to play him on RW because Carter was there.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

If we are trying to compete, we need to spend our money on highly skilled top 6 forwards. Let the GM find bargains on defense and bottom 6 about 1 week before camp starts. Otherwise, just fill the team up with bargains to be sold off at the deadline.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:20 am If we are trying to compete, we need to spend our money on highly skilled top 6 forwards. Let the GM find bargains on defense and bottom 6 about 1 week before camp starts. Otherwise, just fill the team up with bargains to be sold off at the deadline.
I don't think we have any room to add on defense. Dubas made his bed with Karlsson and Graves. He's got to see some improvement from them in Year 2. St. Ivany should be a nice cheap add to the bottom pair, with Ludvig and maybe Shea back in the mix. What I would love to see is Pickering come in and tear it up in the AHL, and force a late season callup.

In terms of contract, there are a lot of rumors out there from the national media that, with the cap returning to a more normal level, players are less likely to sign one year deals. They've been doing that for 5 years. Most players are going to be looking for term this summer.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:20 am If we are trying to compete, we need to spend our money on highly skilled top 6 forwards. Let the GM find bargains on defense and bottom 6 about 1 week before camp starts. Otherwise, just fill the team up with bargains to be sold off at the deadline.
We can't compete, is the problem. Let's say we played about 10 games more the way we closed out the season. We make the playoffs as WC1 or whatever. That's still a 1st round exit in this climate.

Unless you can somehow flip Karlsson for 3 scoring wingers and trade Smith for a right-handed clone of Pettersson, this team isn't cutting the mustard next year. I think we are that far out of contention. We're Buffalo with Crosby and without many young guys coming up.

That needs to change. Stock up on anything that will sell or young guys that will be good for us in 2-3 years. Draft well (our scouts have a habit of not helping in that area). Flip anything that isn't bolted down for picks.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:56 am
We can't compete, is the problem. Let's say we played about 10 games more the way we closed out the season. We make the playoffs as WC1 or whatever. That's still a 1st round exit in this climate.

Unless you can somehow flip Karlsson for 3 scoring wingers and trade Smith for a right-handed clone of Pettersson, this team isn't cutting the mustard next year. I think we are that far out of contention. We're Buffalo with Crosby and without many young guys coming up.

That needs to change. Stock up on anything that will sell or young guys that will be good for us in 2-3 years. Draft well (our scouts have a habit of not helping in that area). Flip anything that isn't bolted down for picks.
Therein lies the conundrum. You plan to extend Crosby. You have Malkin and Letang signed. You have Karlsson. How do you have those 4 guys and not try to field a competitive team? We may be able to make it into the playoffs once or twice in the next 4 years...MAYBE. Put we surely won't be legitimate contenders because are style doesn't work and our depth is non-existent.

There really is no reasonable plan I see to pivot. Below are the moves they passed on or screwed up on over the past 3 seasons that would have helped them pivot:
--re-signing Kapanen to an absurd RFA amount and not going after Dylan Strome
--not retaining Rodrigues
--acquiring Reilly Smith (this one is hindsight; at the time a 3rd for what he produced was a steal)
--acquiring Jeff Carter instead of Sam Bennett
--not acquiring Jakob Chychrun
--no Chychrun leading to signing Ryan Graves
--Trading for Mikhael Granlund instead of Nino Niederreiter
--Trading Mike Matheson for Petry and Poehling
--losing McCann and Tanev to protect Jeff Carter
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

KG wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 4:08 pm
When will anyone in this organization own up to the fact, as stated by Rust, that the Power play was "trash all year", and show some damn anger?!? Geez, it's sickening to hear this same garbage being regurgitated from top level management to the players themselves and no one takes responsibility or accountability for a whole season of crap performance put forth on the ice.

One assistant coach was fired. Ok, well I guess the Penguins addressed the need to fix the issue and will just move on from here.

Disgusting and infuriating!

As far as his other comment regarding matching up good against the Rangers, hate to be the bearer of bad news, he can't back that up because his team failed to make the playoffs.

Maybe concentrate on Powerplay failure and get into the playoffs, then you can talk about matchups.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

BigMcK wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:20 pm
When will anyone in this organization own up to the fact, as stated by Rust, that the Power play was "trash all year", and show some damn anger?!? Geez, it's sickening to hear this same garbage being regurgitated from top level management to the players themselves and no one takes responsibility or accountability for a whole season of crap performance put forth on the ice.

One assistant coach was fired. Ok, well I guess the Penguins addressed the need to fix the issue and will just move on from here.

As far as his other comment regarding matching up good against the Rangers, hate to be the bearer of bad news, he can't back that up because his team failed to make the playoffs.

Maybe concentrate on Powerplay failure and get into the playoffs, then you can talk about matchups.
Yep, I've seen some reporters (maybe DK or someone else) who said they were offended and annoyed when Sullivan was talking up all these positive aspects and how they finished, and trying to put lipstick on pigs for all the deficiencies.

That's one thing Sullivan lacks from his buddy Torts...bench a guy for poor play (he doesn't have to be under 25 for you to bench him), get made and make some critical comments about your team. Instead, Sullivan just repeats we didn't execute, we're better than this, everything is awesome bs.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/trade ... tch-marner

Top 20 off-season trade candidates. Reilly Smith comes in at #12.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

KG wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:02 am https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/trade ... tch-marner

Top 20 off-season trade candidates. Reilly Smith comes in at #12.
Could we trade #12 for #4?
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

BigMcK wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:20 pm

Absolute trash, yep. I don't think you can argue against that.

We played Rags three times. It's nice to remember that 5-2 win in April. Does Rust remember losing 1-0 and 7-4? That's the team that would've shown up for the playoffs. Teams kick it up a gear in the playoffs, we were already long revving in the red at the end of the season.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:56 am

We are following the Blackhawks blueprint and expecting different results. For them, I believe it was 7 of 8 (and counting) missed post-seasons.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

I agree with Puck Lurker,we are far from real contender, not just one top 6 LW swap, new 3rd winger and one tough RHD away.. we are 6-7 players away and new coach..

Happy for Panthers,one more win and back to finals! Dont wanna see NYR in finals...