2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Pens4Life »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:33 pm This is looking more and more to be a learning curve mistake with a young GM that will end up costing the Pens in the long run. I hope I am wrong.
Thats a bit of overreaction 2 days before trade deadline..
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:33 pm This is looking more and more to be a learning curve mistake with a young GM that will end up costing the Pens in the long run. I hope I am wrong.
If it's one thing I've learned the last few years...save the evaluation until it's all said and done. For all we know, there was never an "urgency to get something done by Wednesday night."

Let's see what happens by around 5pm Friday. There's a good chance the Guentzel deal will be underwhelming to us. There are some prospect names I have seen thrown around that I am not high on that others (including Dubas) may be better at since, they actually probably watched the guy play.

Only two things I hope for is that Guentzel deal is finalized, and someone else in management (Spezza, Kessel, Mpofu, Wilson) is driving some other potential deals like Smith, Ned, etc so that Dubas can concentrate on closing the Jake deal.
Last edited by FLPensFan on Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Mad City Mike wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:10 pm Amen!
A Rare Mad City Mike post! How cool is that?!? :thumb:
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

dark_forces wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:45 pm
Puck-Lurker wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:28 pm
jwest21 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:19 pm
Wyopen wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:13 pm From previous posts, Jakes trade was to be done by today. What’s the hold up or was it a lie?
My understanding was the Pens supposedly hoping the trade was done by this evening, but it wasn't definite.
If it's a 3 way deal, those usually take longer.
The rumor supporting this is Guentzel+ to Van/ Lindholm+ to Bos/ and the Penguins get picks, prospects.
Sounds like a Loss for us.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Pens4Life wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:45 pm
True. Just saying, we are losing dance partners as more time passes. That does not typically bode well in a 'bidding war'.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:13 pm
Pens4Life wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:45 pm
True. Just saying, we are losing dance partners as more time passes. That does not typically bode well in a 'bidding war'.
Also, Dubas is hardly a "young" GM.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Interesting...through a secondary source, heard that NHL Network was talking about Shane Pinto potentially moving, and they brought up Pittsburgh as being a good landing spot for him.

Not sure what we could realistically offer, but he's 23 RH C. Would be an above average 3C with potential to grow into 2C role. I'd love that if we could pull it off.

EDIT: Saw the clip. It was Rupp who mentioned Pittsburgh as a good fit, and Weekes agreed. That would be a good get for Dubas...but at what cost? Pinto MIGHT be the type of player you give up a Yager or Pickering for if you had to. Pinto had 20 goals, 35 points last year. They only had room to give him a league minimum deal (he had the suspension for gambling), but he's going to need a bigger contract next year.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:44 pm Interesting...through a secondary source, heard that NHL Network was talking about Shane Pinto potentially moving, and they brought up Pittsburgh as being a good landing spot for him.

Not sure what we could realistically offer, but he's 23 RH C. Would be an above average 3C with potential to grow into 2C role. I'd love that if we could pull it off.

EDIT: Saw the clip. It was Rupp who mentioned Pittsburgh as a good fit, and Weekes agreed. That would be a good get for Dubas...but at what cost? Pinto MIGHT be the type of player you give up a Yager or Pickering for if you had to. Pinto had 20 goals, 35 points last year. They only had room to give him a league minimum deal (he had the suspension for gambling), but he's going to need a bigger contract next year.
I'd take that gamble.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Mad City Mike wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:49 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:44 pm Interesting...through a secondary source, heard that NHL Network was talking about Shane Pinto potentially moving, and they brought up Pittsburgh as being a good landing spot for him.

I'd take that gamble.
I don't know if I'd give up Yager, but would consider Pickering. At this point, they should have a clearer vision of what Pickering could be at the NHL level. Is it more than a #4 defenseman. If not, I would certainly make him available as the primary piece for Pinto.
Moreover, I wonder if Dubas will deal guys—other than Jake, more along the lines of Smith, Ruhwedel, Ned—for picks and then package those picks (assuming they're at least a 2nd or a couple of 3rd rounders in there) for younger NHLer(s) (not necessarily Pinto, but players in the 20-23 age range on the cusp of regular duty).
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Nick Horwat
@NickHorwat41
It sounds like the Vancouver Canucks would be Jake Guentzel’s preferred destination
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:06 pm

I'd take that gamble.
I don't know if I'd give up Yager, but would consider Pickering. At this point, they should have a clearer vision of what Pickering could be at the NHL level. Is it more than a #4 defenseman. If not, I would certainly make him available as the primary piece for Pinto.
Moreover, I wonder if Dubas will deal guys—other than Jake, more along the lines of Smith, Ruhwedel, Ned—for picks and then package those picks (assuming they're at least a 2nd or a couple of 3rd rounders in there) for younger NHLer(s) (not necessarily Pinto, but players in the 20-23 age range on the cusp of regular duty).
Nah. Teams aren't truly going to start getting an idea of what they have until they get into some pro games at the AHL level. Maybe the top guys, you can see the skill grow or see they are miles above their competition. But when the 18-20 year olds start playing against guys 25-30 in the AHL, it's a little faster and the players are a lot strong.

So, Yager and Pickering may be on track, but until they get into the Penguins organization, we just don't know. That's why, while I'd prefer to give up Pickering over Yager too, I wouldn't nix a deal if they said Yager for Pinto only. Pinto had 20 goals and 15 assists last year. He has 6 goals and 16 points in 18 games this year. I'd take a guy who is producing at a 20 goal pace at the NHL level over a player taken late 1st round and not in the NHL yet 10 times out of 10.

Those are the types of deals, when he said he didn't want to give up Yager or Pickering, that Dubas would accept moving them for.
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

I'd take that gamble.
I wouldn’t bet on it happening
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Vegas in on Noah Hanifin, per lots of national media.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

There was so many names thrown around already in potential Jake deal,but really not a single return so far excite me at all.. not even Hoglander, Podkolzin and pick!?
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

At this point, I am almost certain Jake goes to Vancouver. It just seems too obvious.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:30 pm Vegas in on Noah Hanifin, per lots of national media.
Done deal
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

From Weekes

Jake to the Pens

thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Mad City Mike wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:54 pm From Weekes

Jake to the Pens

I said this earlier Debrusk if it's a sign and trade makes sense as a rust replacement. Move him to Detroit
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

What’s the story on DeBrusk?
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

IntangibleBeer wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:57 pm What’s the story on DeBrusk?
Pending UFA. Why bother?
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Mad City Mike wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:54 pm From Weekes

Jake to the Pens

I hate this idea. Why one earth would it make sense to get rid of a guy who you know works well with both Sid and Geno and is a warrior and battler who is 29 years old to get a guy who is only 3 years younger and also a UFA this summer. It makes zero sense. Just keep Jake if that is the goal.
Ohio_Pens_fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ohio_Pens_fan »

Debrusk is 27 and needs a new contract…I’d just as soon resign Jake.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Mad City Mike wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:58 pm
IntangibleBeer wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:57 pm What’s the story on DeBrusk?
Pending UFA. Why bother?
Agreed. That makes no sense.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Ohio_Pens_fan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:59 pm Debrusk is 27 and needs a new contract…I’d just as soon resign Jake.
Exactly. This move would be a head-scratcher for sure. Unless you were just flipping him at the deadline also. But then, why would you not just maximize the Jake value?
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:01 pm
Ohio_Pens_fan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:59 pm Debrusk is 27 and needs a new contract…I’d just as soon resign Jake.
Exactly. This move would be a head-scratcher for sure. Unless you were just flipping him at the deadline also. But then, why would you not just maximize the Jake value?

DeBrusk can probably be signed for 5.5 to 6 million. Jake would take probably 9 million per year. Jake is a warrior but is small, how many more years of pounding can his body take. There are a couple of reasons.