2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:24 pm Rangers are now rumored to have serious interest for Jake....
But, of course they do... damn rangerks.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

KG wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:06 pm
Coffey Break wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:59 pm Oh man - COL now sending Byram to BUF for Middelstadt. Some shrewd business by COL in both trades....
Now there's a hockey trade!
Well if we wanted the return to big larger, getting other teams out west to go 'all in' helps.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:27 pm
Dynasty1970 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:45 pm Where are these rumors coming from? Carolina, Rangers, Boston What happened to not trading within your division, or your conference?
I think that only applies when you are a projected contender in that division. We are not going to be contenders for a few years.
Great point!
It will be hard watching Jake have success on the Rags :shock:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Trotz in Nashville commented on how expensive prices are, but it wouldn't surprise me if he checks in on Jake. He likes to make splashes and Nashville could use a playoff push/run.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

If GMKD does swing a trade, I am going with the mindset to temper expectations until the coaching staff is removed; hopefully before the end of the season. The suck of the Sullivan system is bound to stymie the talent of any player trying to learn it.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:50 pm Trotz in Nashville commented on how expensive prices are, but it wouldn't surprise me if he checks in on Jake. He likes to make splashes and Nashville could use a playoff push/run.
The venerable Eklund just tweeted a similar thought - he keeps "hearing" Preds are in on Jake. LOL
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pitts wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:53 pm
KG wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:50 pm Trotz in Nashville commented on how expensive prices are, but it wouldn't surprise me if he checks in on Jake. He likes to make splashes and Nashville could use a playoff push/run.
The venerable Eklund just tweeted a similar thought - he keeps "hearing" Preds are in on Jake. LOL
Ugh. Nevermind then! lol
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

BigMcK wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:53 pm If GMKD does swing a trade, I am going with the mindset to temper expectations until the coaching staff is removed; hopefully before the end of the season. The suck of the Sullivan system is bound to stymie the talent of any player trying to learn it.
Amen!
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

From previous posts, Jakes trade was to be done by today. What’s the hold up or was it a lie?
jwest21
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jwest21 »

Wyopen wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:13 pm From previous posts, Jakes trade was to be done by today. What’s the hold up or was it a lie?
My understanding was the Pens supposedly hoping the trade was done by this evening, but it wasn't definite.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

jwest21 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:19 pm
Wyopen wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:13 pm From previous posts, Jakes trade was to be done by today. What’s the hold up or was it a lie?
My understanding was the Pens supposedly hoping the trade was done by this evening, but it wasn't definite.
Not surprised. We’ll see.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

If it's a 3 way deal, those usually take longer.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:28 pm
If it's a 3 way deal, those usually take longer.
The rumor supporting this is Guentzel+ to Van/ Lindholm+ to Bos/ and the Penguins get picks, prospects.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

My concern is this, if 59 doesn’t get traded, he’s in the drivers seat for term and money going forward. He knows KD would not want to lose him for nothing on July 1st. So he’s going to get what he feels he deserves.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pekkasteele »

Wyopen wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:46 pm My concern is this, if 59 doesn’t get traded, he’s in the drivers seat for term and money going forward. He knows KD would not want to lose him for nothing on July 1st. So he’s going to get what he feels he deserves.
Yea, but, does he REALLY want to be tied up to a team going into rebuild mode in a year or two? I don't think so. Halfway thru that contract all his pals will be gone anyway.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

pekkasteele wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:52 pm
Wyopen wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:46 pm My concern is this, if 59 doesn’t get traded, he’s in the drivers seat for term and money going forward. He knows KD would not want to lose him for nothing on July 1st. So he’s going to get what he feels he deserves.
Yea, but, does he REALLY want to be tied up to a team going into rebuild mode in a year or two? I don't think so. Halfway thru that contract all his pals will be gone anyway.
This right here. My gut still tells me that this isn't just a money/term issue with Pittsburgh. He took less on his last deal. He and his agent see what Nylander just got on a new deal.

I believe Jake wants to see what contending teams will offer him on the open market, and I also believe Jake and his agent are smart enough to see what has happened here the last 6 years, and understand that signing here long-term is not in Jake's best interest if he wants to play on a team contending for more Stanley Cup victories.

And I don't blame him for a second.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

KG wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:03 pm So it seems like Vancouver, Carolina and Rangers are the favorites for Jake. Freidman speculating that the Rangers have the assets to get Jake, but thinks they prefer to use some of them at center.

All it takes is 2 teams to create a bidding war! Let's go Carolina and Vancouver.
Sounds like Wennberg to NYR.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:57 pm
This right here. My gut still tells me that this isn't just a money/term issue with Pittsburgh. He took less on his last deal. He and his agent see what Nylander just got on a new deal.

I believe Jake wants to see what contending teams will offer him on the open market, and I also believe Jake and his agent are smart enough to see what has happened here the last 6 years, and understand that signing here long-term is not in Jake's best interest if he wants to play on a team contending for more Stanley Cup victories.

And I don't blame him for a second.
:thumb: Makes sense to me too. I also do NOT blame Jake for whatever he decides to do.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I'd keep an eye on NYR. If Dubas is working a 3-team deal with VAN and BOS and it falls apart, I could see the Rangers trying to step in. With getting Wennberg at 50% retained, they still have enough cap space to get Jake with 50% retained.

Imagine Guentzel (50% retained) for 2026 3rd (becomes a 1st if Rangers extend Jake), Filip Chytil, Barclay Goodrow (50% retained), and Brennan Othmann. That's probably a bit too much from the Rangers side. They likely aren't going to want to give up Chytil, but he's on LTIR right now and they don't need him this year. Let's say this trade went through. Here's what the Rangers would have when healthy:

Panarin-Trocheck-Kreider
Guentzel-Zibanejad-Lafreniere
Cuylle-Wennberg-Wheeler
Vesey-Brodzinski-Kakko

That's freaking DEEP.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

People speculating that Carolina is in the lead for Jake. Vancouver in second. There is no 3-team trade with Boston and Van they say. If anything it would be separate deals.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:20 pm I'd keep an eye on NYR. If Dubas is working a 3-team deal with VAN and BOS and it falls apart, I could see the Rangers trying to step in. With getting Wennberg at 50% retained, they still have enough cap space to get Jake with 50% retained.

Imagine Guentzel (50% retained) for 2026 3rd (becomes a 1st if Rangers extend Jake), Filip Chytil, Barclay Goodrow (50% retained), and Brennan Othmann. That's probably a bit too much from the Rangers side. They likely aren't going to want to give up Chytil, but he's on LTIR right now and they don't need him this year. Let's say this trade went through. Here's what the Rangers would have when healthy:

Panarin-Trocheck-Kreider
Guentzel-Zibanejad-Lafreniere
Cuylle-Wennberg-Wheeler
Vesey-Brodzinski-Kakko

That's freaking DEEP.
What if they jump in despite both of those teams? I'm willing to bet they don't want to see the B's get deeper.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

This is looking more and more to be a learning curve mistake with a young GM that will end up costing the Pens in the long run. I hope I am wrong.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

Not that any of these teams still couldn't be in for Guentzel too, but in the last day, Vegas, Florida, Colorado, Edmonton, and the Rangers all made somewhat significant moves for forwards. Maybe that makes other teams like Carolina or Vancouver more desperate to get Guentzel to keep pace, or maybe it takes more bidders out of the game and decreases the return.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

I'm guessing Lindholm to Bos, Jake to Van.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/vancouver ... e-guentzel

JR loves 3 ways.