2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by ahawk9 »

Ugh! That would be brutal. Again, I'll be rooting for them in both games, but man, if they win both and the brass somehow sees some great run coming then I have no hope for the future.

We've obliterated the dead horse, but wouldn't you have wanted to see how some of these guys (Rakell, Smith, Graves even) perform under a different system before deciding their fates? Well, it's too late for that, so we'll see what's next.

Plus, young guys (unless your name is Harkins) don't seem to get much of a look (kudos to O'Connor, though!) under Sullivan the last x-number of years. Not saying that guys like Hallander and Bjorkqvist would've lit it up in Pittsburgh, but they barely got a look before they were sent back down. Ultimately, they both went to Europe to play instead. Those are at least two depth guys who may or may not have panned out if we'd been able to see them play in the NHL for a bit.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

Sully was a fringe NHL player and, like Bylsma, he loves fringe NHL guys who work hard.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Seattle scratching Alex Wennberg tonight for trade purposes.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:53 pm Seattle scratching Alex Wennberg tonight for trade purposes.
To the Pens for Jake Guentzel. 8-)

(I kid! I kid!)
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Pitts wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:53 pm
KG wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:53 pm Seattle scratching Alex Wennberg tonight for trade purposes.
To the Pens for Jake Guentzel. 8-)

(I kid! I kid!)
In all seriousness, that's one piece we desperately need. We've had the luxury for so long of neglecting the top-6 center ice position. This can't continue. We need a young center to be groomed to at least someday be capable of being a 2nd line pivot. That is the type of prospect we should be aiming at acquiring in any Jake trade.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Devils fired Ruff today. Wonder if they’re regretting let Brunnette go last season.

See Pens, you are allowed to fire a coach this late into the season.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:28 pm Devils fired Ruff today. Wonder if they’re regretting let Brunnette go last season.

See Pens, you are allowed to fire a coach this late into the season.
Another team AHEAD of the Penguins in the standings fires their coach. That's got to be illegal or something.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Pagnotta on NHL network right now says Guentzel will definitely be moved.

Edmonton looking hard at Guentzel but they need to move out salary like Foegel, Ceci, Campbell
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

I didn't realize that Campbell had 3 more seasons after this season at 5M per

It would take a heck of a sweetner to unload that contract
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

thehockeyguru wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:58 pm I didn't realize that Campbell had 3 more seasons after this season at 5M per

It wouldn't be absolutely awful if Edmonton retained 50% on Campbell, and sent him to us.
Edmonton is paying 3.875M in cap hit for Campbell, allowed to bury 1.125M of his cap hit in the minors.
If Edmonton retained 50%, that puts their cap hit for him down to 2.5M, saving them 1.375M.

He comes to Pittsburgh with a 2.5M cap hit, and we can bury him, which would cost us 1.375M against our cap for 3 years.
OR, Edmonton could wash him through a 3rd team. Let's just say Edmonton retains 50%, they trade him to Chicago, who retains 50%, and then Pittsburgh gets him.

Edmonton on the hook for 2.5M, saving 1.375M in cap space.
Chicago on the hook for 1.25M, of which, they can bury all but 125K in the minors
Pittsburgh would be in the same boat...on the hook for 1.25M, but can bury him in the minors so it only costs him 125K against our cap for 3 years.

I'm surprised Edmonton hasn't explored this already, honestly. Retaining that little of salary should only cost them a 3rd or a 4th, simply because it is multiple years.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:05 pm
thehockeyguru wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:58 pm I didn't realize that Campbell had 3 more seasons after this season at 5M per

It wouldn't be absolutely awful if Edmonton retained 50% on Campbell, and sent him to us.
Edmonton is paying 3.875M in cap hit for Campbell, allowed to bury 1.125M of his cap hit in the minors.
If Edmonton retained 50%, that puts their cap hit for him down to 2.5M, saving them 1.375M.

He comes to Pittsburgh with a 2.5M cap hit, and we can bury him, which would cost us 1.375M against our cap for 3 years.
OR, Edmonton could wash him through a 3rd team. Let's just say Edmonton retains 50%, they trade him to Chicago, who retains 50%, and then Pittsburgh gets him.

Edmonton on the hook for 2.5M, saving 1.375M in cap space.
Chicago on the hook for 1.25M, of which, they can bury all but 125K in the minors
Pittsburgh would be in the same boat...on the hook for 1.25M, but can bury him in the minors so it only costs him 125K against our cap for 3 years.

I'm surprised Edmonton hasn't explored this already, honestly. Retaining that little of salary should only cost them a 3rd or a 4th, simply because it is multiple years.
For me it makes sense if you move Jarry. I wouldn't do it unless he can a good amount of starts. In a perfect world he regains his form and you can flip him for a pick
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by E-Ramone »

My strategy would be to trade off as much as possible for young prospects who can skate. Surround Sid and Geno with young guys with wheels and hunger to win it all. I don’t think there’s enough time left with this core to rely on draft picks developing.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Pens waive Matt Phillips. I'm shocked!!!.........................................

...............................said absolutely no one.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pagnotta saying Pens are expected the trade Jake.

Giddy up
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Are there at least any promising rumors on us landing a good young player? Any? A decent haul? Good prospects?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Sounds like NJ and CGY had a deal in place for Markstrom and CGY ownership niced it
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Mad City Mike wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:40 pm We need to start a count-up clock measuring the time since the end of last night's debacle until

1. Dubas makes his first trade.
2. Every last piece of trash on this godawful roster has been jettisoned. Not trash: Sid, EK, Letang, Rust, Guentzel.
Would this reset with every debacle though? Because another one is coming Tuesday night for sure.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

I will be really surprised if this isn’t the news conference on Friday at 3 pm. “We listened to offers on all our players, but nothing was worth pursuing or following up on”. “With Jake coming back we felt it was our best option to secure a playoff spot”. I’m probably in the minority, but I just don’t see a big trade happening.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

Badger Bob wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:20 pm Pens waive Matt Phillips. I'm shocked!!!.........................................

...............................said absolutely no one.
Thank gawd that experiment didn't last long.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Wyopen wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:37 am I will be really surprised if this isn’t the news conference on Friday at 3 pm. “We listened to offers on all our players, but nothing was worth pursuing or following up on”. “With Jake coming back we felt it was our best option to secure a playoff spot”. I’m probably in the minority, but I just don’t see a big trade happening.
I've been patient with Dubas. I can understand reportedly trying to make a shakeup type move, but there no options for them with limited picks, prospects and players under 30. Although, he could have fired the coach...a much easier move to make.

I want to see what happens between now and Saturday. BUT...If Friday comes and goes and nobody is traded, and Dubas mentions playoff push...he's instantly reached Hextall level of incompetence in less than a year's time.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:55 am
Wyopen wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:37 am I will be really surprised if this isn’t the news conference on Friday at 3 pm. “We listened to offers on all our players, but nothing was worth pursuing or following up on”. “With Jake coming back we felt it was our best option to secure a playoff spot”. I’m probably in the minority, but I just don’t see a big trade happening.
I've been patient with Dubas. I can understand reportedly trying to make a shakeup type move, but there no options for them with limited picks, prospects and players under 30. Although, he could have fired the coach...a much easier move to make.

I want to see what happens between now and Saturday. BUT...If Friday comes and goes and nobody is traded, and Dubas mentions playoff push...he's instantly reached Hextall level of incompetence in less than a year's time.
I'm somehwat disappointed that a trade hasn't already been announced. Dubas has slow-played this entire season. I'm more than a little concerned that his "wonder kid" title comes with more hype than substance. It's time to prove that long contract was warranted.

Give him credit for dumping some very bad contracts last offseason, that was good. Can't really bash signing Reilly as he was good for years before he came to Pittsburgh, same with Graves. But they have both been wildly unimpressive since clearing baggage claim at the airport. Thus far, Dubas hasn't done anything to help inseason this year and it's not like the flashing warning light hasn't been illuminated since Thanksgiving.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

maopens wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:38 am

I'm somehwat disappointed that a trade hasn't already been announced. Dubas has slow-played this entire season. I'm more than a little concerned that his "wonder kid" title comes with more hype than substance. It's time to prove that long contract was warranted.

Give him credit for dumping some very bad contracts last offseason, that was good. Can't really bash signing Reilly as he was good for years before he came to Pittsburgh, same with Graves. But they have both been wildly unimpressive since clearing baggage claim at the airport. Thus far, Dubas hasn't done anything to help inseason this year and it's not like the flashing warning light hasn't been illuminated since Thanksgiving.
Fair assessment. On a larger level, I'm frustrated that the last good years of the Crosby/Malkin era have been pissed away. 4 first round exits and 2 missed playoffs. It has cost people jobs, but not sure how the man behind the bench has stayed. I guess being a great guy from Boston is the winning ticket.

I give Dubas some credit for trying to shape things. He picked up Ludvig and Harkins (ok, maybe no credit here) before the season. He picked up Bemstrom and Phillips during the season. There's really only 3 players left in WBS that I think should have been called up...Poulin (who was hurt often, missing his chance), St. Ivany (big RHD, potential Ruhwedel replacement), and Blomqvist.

Dubas has tried just about everything under his power without making a trade...or firing the coach.
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by E-Ramone »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:47 am
maopens wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:38 am

Fair assessment. On a larger level, I'm frustrated that the last good years of the Crosby/Malkin era have been pissed away. 4 first round exits and 2 missed playoffs. It has cost people jobs, but not sure how the man behind the bench has stayed. I guess being a great guy from Boston is the winning ticket.

I give Dubas some credit for trying to shape things. He picked up Ludvig and Harkins (ok, maybe no credit here) before the season. He picked up Bemstrom and Phillips during the season. There's really only 3 players left in WBS that I think should have been called up...Poulin (who was hurt often, missing his chance), St. Ivany (big RHD, potential Ruhwedel replacement), and Blomqvist.

Dubas has tried just about everything under his power without making a trade...or firing the coach.
I think the last three words of your post are the real issue with the team. How many seasons do we need to see go by with the same core of high-end talent surrounded by constantly changing wingers and bottom six players only to suffer the same fate? Different players, same results. Can't dump the core and replace that, so maybe, just maybe it's time to try a different coach? It's the 800-lb. gorilla in the room, IMO. Dubas HAS to see that, right?
1967penguins

Post by 1967penguins »

Not to beat the dead horse much further, but will any trade really make any difference as long as the system being enforced is unsuitable/unsustainable for any substantial length of time? The failure to adapt (perhaps refusal is a better word) the system to the roster is beyond maddening. It doesn't seem to matter who gets acquired, mediocrity seems to be the norm at present.