2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline Discussion

Post by Pens4Life »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:37 pm I love Geno and Letang but if I am Dubas I need to know if they plan on playing past their current contracts. If they want to play their contracts out then retire I am allowing them that opportunity. But if either of them want to play past their contract I am trading them now while the return is still high. The only way you keep them is if they are retiring once their contract ends.
Why would they still play to the 50s?? LOL.. of course they should retire! And on other hand,why should Pens have to care? Contracts will end..
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Geno and Letang have NMC's, as does Sid, Rust, Carter, and Karlsson. They have to agree to a trade. However, there are several NTC's on the roster (Smith, Rakell, Acciari, Graves, Pettersson, Jake and Jarry). Those players provide an 8 team or 12 team no trade list, so they are still tradeable to the balance of teams in the league, provided you find a trade partner. The rest of the team is free game to trade.

BLOW IT UP!!!! And please FIRE SULLIVAN TODAY!!!
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by itissteeltime »

What if Sid was interested in going to a contender?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Badger Bob wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:23 am Geno and Letang have NMC's, as does Sid, Rust, Carter, and Karlsson. They have to agree to a trade. However, there are several NTC's on the roster (Smith, Rakell, Acciari, Graves, Pettersson, Jake and Jarry). Those players provide an 8 team or 12 team no trade list, so they are still tradeable to the balance of teams in the league, provided you find a trade partner. The rest of the team is free game to trade.

BLOW IT UP!!!! And please FIRE SULLIVAN TODAY!!!
Absolutely. Something of weight needs to happen here. Sullivan really needs to be shown the door. I don't understand the rhetoric that FSG loves him. What does FSG know about hockey? They care about winning and making money. Well we aren't winning, and if they keep losing, they will start losing money. They already are going to lose out on playoff money etc.

It's a results driven business. Pens haven't produced enough to justify not having any option on the table currently.

Anyone see that Geno thousand yard stare on the bench last night? Tough times.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

To me it's a no-brainer that the coach/staff are shown the door, then you see how the team plays under a new voice and begin to make personnel moves based on that. I'm not some great hockey mind, so maybe I'm missing something, but man, it's been obvious to me for more than this season that a new voice was needed. Now they're saddled with a stale voice behind the bench and they're forced to make moves based on that voice, which doesn't seem prudent to me. It's time to get what they can for Jake, Jarry or Ned, Smith. I would actually hold on to Eller and trade him at next year's deadline, although I can totally see the argument for selling high on him. He would be a nice mentor for Poulin or some other young center who comes along in a deal.

I'm not hoping for a Petterson trade, but if someone blows them away with an offer, then do it. Rakell may be suffering in this system, so I'd give him a pass until (if, really) a new regime takes over. Plus, another year off his contract and a chance at better numbers under a new system would help his value down the road.

Rust's NMC comes off the books after next season, if I remember correctly. So, he can be traded in summer 2025.

And, I want Sid here until he retires, but whoever brought up the theoretical, "I'd like to try for one more run," got me thinking that boy could they pull in a haul.

Regardless, the next 4 days should be fascinating.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

itissteeltime wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:59 am What if Sid was interested in going to a contender?
He is not. He's stated that multiple times. I really do not think that is in his personality.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Well if the Pens do potentially trade Geno and Letang, I would say Sid is also available. Why not?
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

I think the Pens should keep Eller. He is signed for next season too at a good price. He could actually become our 2C if Geno moves to the wing. We could trade him next deadline if necessary.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:12 am I think the Pens should keep Eller. He is signed for next season too at a good price. He could actually become our 2C if Geno moves to the wing. We could trade him next deadline if necessary.
I am kind of torn on Eller. I think he would be appealing to a contender looking for center depth, and they could get a good return for him. But I hate the annual "we need to find a 3C" thing and wouldn't mind having that covered for at least one more season, and we could have the summer moves aimed at patching other holes.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

Agreed. Knowing Eller is back for next season is one less thing to deal with. Plus, if he's even close next season to what he's been so far this season, they'll be able to trade him at the 2025 deadline for something decent.
Tico Rick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Tico Rick »

To me Eller is the conscious of the team. I'd only move him if we got a solid deal for him.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Sid with Evgeni and Letang- not trading.

Would not want to see DOC added to any trade. They may have a 3rd line physical guy- when allowed to play physical.
I think the cusps teams would do well to add Marcus Pettersson, I thinks pens could get multiple assets for him. Like him, but they haven't won with him.
Ohio_Pens_fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ohio_Pens_fan »

From just being old, where change is hard and I have to be beaten over the head with an issue, I have to admit it is time for a coaching change - en masse. Switching out newer players and rearranging the current ones won’t make any difference if the coach won’t play them or even give them a chance. Turn the page.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:12 am I think the Pens should keep Eller. He is signed for next season too at a good price. He could actually become our 2C if Geno moves to the wing. We could trade him next deadline if necessary.
I really like Eller. Exceeded my expectations. But, if teams are calling and the deal is right, he's got to go. There's zero chance he can become our 2C next year. In 15 seasons in the NHL, he's never hit 20 goals, never reached 40 points. That won't work as a 2C, and I don't expect him to suddenly improve at age 35.

This team MUST get younger wherever it can, even if it means making some hard choices.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:11 pm
I really like Eller. Exceeded my expectations. But, if teams are calling and the deal is right, he's got to go. There's zero chance he can become our 2C next year. In 15 seasons in the NHL, he's never hit 20 goals, never reached 40 points. That won't work as a 2C, and I don't expect him to suddenly improve at age 35.

This team MUST get younger wherever it can, even if it means making some hard choices.
That is assuming the goal is to win next season. If we are selling everything, next season's goal is not to win.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

We need to start a count-up clock measuring the time since the end of last night's debacle until

1. Dubas makes his first trade.
2. Every last piece of trash on this godawful roster has been jettisoned. Not trash: Sid, EK, Letang, Rust, Guentzel.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

He's barely good enough to be a 3C. A 4C is what he'd be on a good team.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Mad City Mike wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:41 pm
Sell Eller to the highest bidder before his age starts catching up with him.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Agreed. I think Eller has been a great add and exceeded expectations but a 2C? I mean, come on. The most valuable thing about him is the way he has produced here and the ostensible trade value he has at the moment.

Agreed also on what is not trash on the roster, although I would say Letang is almost assurdly going to be a disaster at some point before 41. I would add the goalies both to the list but I think both need to go given their value, especially Jarry. And obviously Jake has to move given his very non trash status.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Chychrun is probably the best LD out there available, and expected to be traded. If OTT price is too high, or two teams get into a bidding war and one losses out...going to Marcus Pettersson as a plan B may be a sneaky fallback option for a team out there.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:15 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:11 pm

That is assuming the goal is to win next season. If we are selling everything, next season's goal is not to win.
Yeah, I think this is the key point. A lot of people on here seem ready for a full rebuild, which means selling everyone of value and accepting sucking for the next few years while we hopefully accumulate young talent. I don't think management is there or could even potentially go there given the contracts for some of the older guys on the team. If you basically have to keep at least Malkin, Letang, Rust, Rakell, and Karlsson, because of their NMCs or the fact that other teams won't want their contracts, can you really bottom out in a helpful way, especially presuming that Crosby wants to stick around?

That's why I think Dubas is aiming more for prospects on the verge of breaking into the NHL instead of draft picks. If they can trade, say, Smith, Guentzel, Nedjelkovic, and Eller and get back 1 or 2 young middle-six forwards, plus some internal options like Poulin or Yager being ready, plus a few good FA pickups, they're probably thinking/hoping they can have a better team next year.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

One trade deadline target off the board, re-signing with his team

Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Mad City Mike wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:41 pm
Thats a bit harsh.. he is good 3C
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

I will be surprised if KD does anything substantial. The Pens will beat the BJs and Caps, thus KD and MS will assume they’re back in the race. Especially with Jake coming back.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Wyopen wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:22 pm I will be surprised if KD does anything substantial. The Pens will beat the BJs and Caps, thus KD and MS will assume they’re back in the race. Especially with Jake coming back.
It's not remotely in my constitution to hope for a Pens loss - I can't get myself to do it. That being said, I can completely foresee them laying another huge egg against the lowly CBJ on Tuesday night. Truly don't think that loss against CAL on Friday is something this team will recover from. That was the nail shutting the coffin down....for good.