What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline?

Sign him
14%
Trade him
62%
Deal with it after the season
25%

Total votes: 65

FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Post by FLPensFan »

thehockeyguru wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:44 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:46 am
thehockeyguru wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:15 am I'll be happy with any Jake return that gets us a young 3C that we can plug into the lineup now and a 1st.

If you can move forward with a top line of Rakell Crosby Rust a 4th line to include DOC Eller Accari it comes down to using Jake and Smith to retool the 2nd and 3rd lines
Yes. To me, I'd be more ok with an underwhelming return if it meant one less piece, over getting a 1st and multiple meh pieces.

If Jake could only get us a 1st and one of Holloway/McLeod as the return...I wouldn't love it, but it would be acceptable.

Looking at some context, while he was 5-6 years older, Iginla was a playoff warrior, with very similar goal scoring stats to Jake, and he only cost us a 1st and 2 throw away prospects to acquire 10 years ago. That's a good historical comparison. Jake's age should net us something a little better.

So, coming around to the idea of a 1st and a very good prospect/young player, or a 1st, 2nd and average prospect will be the return. But, if there's an extension in place....then it needs to be a haul.

Giroux didn't sign in FLA and they got Tippett and two picks. Guentzel will have a greater impact than Giroux did, so I'm hopeful the return will be similar signed or not
Tippett was also largely considered somewhat of a bust in Florida. He was a 10th overall pick and they expected his development to be a little quicker. He couldn't stick with the big club or was often a healthy scratch.

I think Holloway is a similar prospect. Expected more from him by this time, but he's still young and has the tools. May just take him a little longer to get going.

But good point with Giroux. Somewhere in between the Iginla and Giroux trades would be good for Jake.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:01 pm
thehockeyguru wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:15 am I'll be happy with any Jake return that gets us a young 3C that we can plug into the lineup now and a 1st.

If you can move forward with a top line of Rakell Crosby Rust a 4th line to include DOC Eller Accari it comes down to using Jake and Smith to retool the 2nd and 3rd lines
Yes. To me, I'd be more ok with an underwhelming return if it meant one less piece, over getting a 1st and multiple meh pieces.

If Jake could only get us a 1st and one of Holloway/McLeod as the return...I wouldn't love it, but it would be acceptable.

Looking at some context, while he was 5-6 years older, Iginla was a playoff warrior, with very similar goal scoring stats to Jake, and he only cost us a 1st and 2 throw away prospects to acquire 10 years ago. That's a good historical comparison. Jake's age should net us something a little better.

So, coming around to the idea of a 1st and a very good prospect/young player, or a 1st, 2nd and average prospect will be the return. But, if there's an extension in place....then it needs to be a haul.

Giroux didn't sign in FLA and they got Tippett and two picks. Guentzel will have a greater impact than Giroux did, so I'm hopeful the return will be similar signed or not
Tippett was also largely considered somewhat of a bust in Florida. He was a 10th overall pick and they expected his development to be a little quicker. He couldn't stick with the big club or was often a healthy scratch.

I think Holloway is a similar prospect. Expected more from him by this time, but he's still young and has the tools. May just take him a little longer to get going.

But good point with Giroux. Somewhere in between the Iginla and Giroux trades would be good for Jake.

Holloway will be 23 at the start of the next season he really will need to show something. He seems like a real wild card, I doubt EDM would do Holloway and McLeod with no picks
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Since Elias Pettersson got 11.6M/yr, any projections for Jake? I have a sneaky suspicion he’s staying.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Wyopen wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:17 pm Since Elias Pettersson got 11.6M/yr, any projections for Jake? I have a sneaky suspicion he’s staying.
I think this team will have a lot more roster flexibility without Jake next year. DOC, Bemstrom, Puustinen, Puljujarvi, and Poulin should be battling for spots in the bottom 6, with maybe one getting a top 6 role. Get some pieces from Jake, maybe swap Smith for someone else.

DOC-Crosby-Rakell
X-Malkin-Rust
Puustinen-Poulin-Puljujarvi
X-Eller-Acciari

Keep one more offensive guy like Bemstrom around, and swap him in at times for DOC, Puustinen, or Puljujarvi. Then keep another defensive forward around to swap into the bottom 6. Break up Rakell-Crosby-Rust line and actually give Geno someone he's worked well with in the past.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:01 pm

I don't know much about the development or lack of same from Tippett, but Holloway has been through a couple of wrist surgeries already. I certainly don't want to call him injury prone, but wrist issues with a guy that you expect to get some offensive production from is a red flag for me. My gut is telling me that Dubas will hang on to Jake unless someone is really ready to overpay. I don't believe that's the correct move, that's just what I believe. I think Reily Smith is gone at the deadline, one of the goalies, and Ruhwedel.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

In the West, you can make the case that all 8 playoff teams would have interest in Jake. I can see Nashville make a play for Jake. Trotz seems to want to be an aggressive GM and Nashville is in the last WC spot.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Paul Bissonnette
@BizNasty2point0
·
21m
The Panthers looking to beef up the back end for another push. Hearing Guentzel too. If they add those 2 look out. #TimeToHunt

Panther's don't have a 1st round pick until 26, so it would have to be good young players/prospects...
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:06 pm Paul Bissonnette
@BizNasty2point0
·
21m
The Panthers looking to beef up the back end for another push. Hearing Guentzel too. If they add those 2 look out. #TimeToHunt

Panther's don't have a 1st round pick until 26, so it would have to be good young players/prospects...
Florida has no first til 2026 and no prospects I would be itching to acquire, unless they want to send us Anton Lundell.

Their top prospect is Spencer Knight, who we don't need. Samoskevitch and Sourdiff may be ok players but neither absolutely blows me away.
Last edited by FLPensFan on Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Should Jakes contract, if he signs, be based off of Petterssons new contract? I feel he’s in the drivers seat. Canucks are probably out, and not impressed with the return he could get from what other posters have proposed. For some reason the market just doesn’t seem right for a trade.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:29 pm
KG wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:06 pm Paul Bissonnette
@BizNasty2point0
·
21m

Florida has no first til 2026 and no prospects I would be itching to acquire, unless they want to send us Anton Lundell.

Their top prospect is Spencer Knight, who we don't need. Samoskevitch and Sourdiff may be ok players but neither absolutely blows me away.
Lundell is the only player I would want
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Freidge thinks Jake gets dealt.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

I just don't see Vegas as a fit for Guentzel. Moving Jarry would net a handsome return but I don't think Dubas would do it.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Wyopen wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:30 pm Should Jakes contract, if he signs, be based off of Petterssons new contract? I feel he’s in the drivers seat. Canucks are probably out, and not impressed with the return he could get from what other posters have proposed. For some reason the market just doesn’t seem right for a trade.
Yup, the Pens will get much more by holding on to him, missing the playoffs, and having him sign somewhere else in the offseason. No, wait...
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Sigwolf wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:25 pm
Wyopen wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:30 pm Should Jakes contract, if he signs, be based off of Petterssons new contract? I feel he’s in the drivers seat. Canucks are probably out, and not impressed with the return he could get from what other posters have proposed. For some reason the market just doesn’t seem right for a trade.
Yup, the Pens will get much more by holding on to him, missing the playoffs, and having him sign somewhere else in the offseason. No, wait...
If the offers aren't good, Dubas is in a no win situation. Holding on to him, and letting him go for nothing is a loss. Trading him for a lower than expected return is a loss. If the Penguins don't re-sign him it is a loss for some fans. Thing is, I'm still not convinced that Jake just doesn't want to go to market to see what other offers are, no matter how much the Penguins throw at him. Letting him talk extension with potential trade partners could actually work for or against the Penguins. He's either going to see he won't get as much as he thinks on the UFA market, or that other teams are willing to offer more.

Dubas can come out looking like a rock star if he has let Jake's agent negotiate with potential trade partners. That's how we get the best return on Jake.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

:face: :face:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:15 pm

Rusty our future captain! Sullivan's boy forevvvvaaaa
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:15 pm

I would trade Smith and Rakell long before I traded Rust.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Ericf wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:10 pm
This is interesting. Real curious to see what type of package KD accepts, assuming he does.
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

KG wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:35 pm
Ericf wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:10 pm
This is interesting. Real curious to see what type of package KD accepts, assuming he does.
Considering the 2024 draft isn't very deep (according to reports), its not surprising they would look for prospects instead. With Guentzel as a rental, the question is what kind of prospect(s) would they get back in a trade.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:58 pm
If the offers aren't good, Dubas is in a no win situation. Holding on to him, and letting him go for nothing is a loss. Trading him for a lower than expected return is a loss.
Not how I see it. This season is a loss. If they can't sign him to an extension before the deadline, you take what you can get, because it is the only way they get anything. Trading him for lower than expected return is still *something*. Everything else results in absolutely nothing. A trade does not even prevent them from signing him in the offseason. They are going nowhere this season. They have to get something in return or it is just poor asset management.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Thinking more about the Jake situation. The West is a real arms race this season. Both Edmonton and Vancouver are hungry to win it all. Canada hasn't won the Cup since 93!

Vegas has LTIR space and is looking to go back-to-back.

I think there will a bidding war for Jake between Vancouver, Edmonton, Vegas. I would be surprised if JR will get out-bid for his guy in the end.

Hoping he goes all in!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I took some time tonight to go through each of the 8 West Conference playoff teams, and, with reports of Dubas now looking at 2 "prospects," here's what I would be asking for each of those teams, ranked in order of what I would most want and what I would least want:

1. Vancouver - Podkolzin and Raty - Podkolzin (LW/RW) has some NHL games (118) under his belt, and Raty(C) has gotten in a little more than a dozen (15). These are the types of prospects Dubas should be looking at...someone that can step in now versus a prospect that is 2-4 years away from the NHL, if they even make it there.

2. Edmonton - Holloway and Akey - Holloway(C) is in the NHL now, and Akey(RHD) is only 19 and still playing in Juniors.

3. Dallas - Stankoven and Kyrou - Stankoven(C/RW) is small at 5'8", but he might have the most upside to be an actual Guentzel replacement. Stankoven has been with Dallas on emergency recall and has scored 3 goals in 5 games. Dallas fans are gonna say no way, but Dallas has Stankoven, Wyatt Johnson, Robertson, and Dellandrea up front all under 25. Stankoven has played the least amount of games for them to date. Stankoven's AHL teammate Mavrik Bourque leads the AHL in scoring, Stankoven is 2nd. Kyrou(RHD) may be more of a project but RHD depth is a need for this team.
Spoiler:

4. Winnipeg - Lambert and Salomonsson - Lambert (C/RW) may still be a year away, another somewhat high risk player. He has good skills, but his play away from the puck and processing of the game can be an issue at times. Salomonsson (RHD) is also likely a year or two away.

5. Nashville - Tomasino and Wood - Tomasino(LW/RW) is more of a middle 6 guy with 148 NHL games under his belt at age 22. Wood (C/LW/RW) is only 19 and playing in college, so he would be a few years away, but he has a lot of talent.

6. LA - Turcotte and Chromiak - Turcotte (C) is probably not going to live up to being a #5 overall pick. That doesn't mean he doesn't have talent. He'd likely be a high end 3C or low end 2C at the NHL. Chromiak is a RW playing in the AHL, probably a 3rd line type player.

7. Colorado - Ritchie and Behrens - Both of these guys are a few years away. Ritchie is considered COL top prospect, drafted 27th overall last year. Behrens is a 2022 2nd round LHD.

8. Vegas - Brisson and Cataford - Brisson is a 22 year old winger. He's been playing some for Vegas this year. He seems like a bottom 6 forward IMO. Cataford is an 18 year old forward, probably middle 6 guys. Neither of these guys excite me.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I know the rumors are out there that Dubas prefers prospects to picks, I get that, but I do think we need to get a 1st round pick back in any trade for Jake. We are going to be losing our 1st round pick either this year or next for the EK trade. Would certainly like to try to replenish that pick one way or another.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

After watching that game against Edmonton. it's clear that the rebuild has already started.

The only remaining question is whether the Pens are going to participate in it.