What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline?

Sign him
14%
Trade him
62%
Deal with it after the season
25%

Total votes: 65

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Post by KG »

NHL Trade Alert
@NHLTradeAlert
Jeff Marek Show: Elliotte believes Vegas is one of the teams in on Guentzel. Says if Pittsburgh is looking for young pros Vegas has AHL/borderline AHL pros. "I just find it very hard to think Vegas is not going to take a swing at the biggest player available." #LetsGoPens #VegasBorn #NHL
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:15 pm
KG wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:42 pm
lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:04 pm Seeing how valuable Jake is this deadline makes me wish we would have dealt Zucker last year. I know it wouldn’t be as much but maybe a first. I hope Dubas doesn’t make the same mistake. We need to deal Jake at the deadline.
Yeah, last season was strange. The Granlund trade, I guess made them buyers, but we didn't have a plan under Hextall. Looking back, yes we should have traded Zucker and Dumoulin for futures.

Hopefully KD can pull a few rabbits out of his hat this deadline and begin the re-tool.

I also think Vancouver could offer us a great return for Jake. They have a legit prospect in Lekkerimiki, and Hoglander who is young, we could take back Mikheyev to help make the deal as well. That's a rich package and one that Vancouver would only do if they could re-sign Jake.

We'll see what happens in a little more than a week...or sooner!
I'm hoping Dubas has an internal deadline of "sign an extension with Jake" or start evaluating the trade proposals. If I were GM, I'd probably have that deadline set as midnight Sunday, March 3rd...giving me a few days to open up trade talks and possible extension talks. If he takes it all the way to Wednesday or Thursday next week, that may cause problems trying to get more via an extension approved.

If we trade Jake, I think a young center with top 6 potential should be the focus if this team still wants to try and compete the next 1-2 years. Move Malkin to wing, and let someone else drive the 2nd line train. My targets would be Dylan Holloway or Ryan McLeod of Edmonton, or Alex Turcotte of LA.
Holloway has the most upside of the 3, IMO. Ryan McLeod is the most established today and would be a solid 3C at least. Turcotte hasn't really shown what he is capable of as a #5 overall pick, and would likely have a high risk/reward.
I read an article not terribly long ago saying that Turcotte had failed to develop as they thought when they drafted him—from possibly being a no. 2 type centerman to barely being a depth piece on an NHL roster. Too much risk there.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Turcotte as the return in a Smith trade wouldn't be bad IMO.

If we could swing Smith and Carter for Turcotte and a pick I would do it
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

I really wonder if the Pens don't get their ask and the price drops on Guentzel a team like Detroit jumps in.

I'd love to have Berggren. Detroit has said they don't want to give up futures yet but with Kane playing at such a high level I wonder if Yzerman doesn't add a piece
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

thehockeyguru wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:38 am I really wonder if the Pens don't get their ask and the price drops on Guentzel a team like Detroit jumps in.

I'd love to have Berggren. Detroit has said they don't want to give up futures yet but with Kane playing at such a high level I wonder if Yzerman doesn't add a piece
I just read a report, I think it was from BleacherReport, that said Detroit is not going to do anything at the deadline. They are happy with the success, but will stay the course with development.

In that same article, it said Edmonton and Vegas were 2 to keep your eye on regarding Guentzel. Vegas needs a replacement for Stone while out on LTIR and they have all the cap space they need.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pitts wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:07 pm
thehockeyguru wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:38 am I really wonder if the Pens don't get their ask and the price drops on Guentzel a team like Detroit jumps in.

I just read a report, I think it was from BleacherReport, that said Detroit is not going to do anything at the deadline. They are happy with the success, but will stay the course with development.

In that same article, it said Edmonton and Vegas were 2 to keep your eye on regarding Guentzel. Vegas needs a replacement for Stone while out on LTIR and they have all the cap space they need.
I agree that Vegas and Edmonton should be the favorites for Jake, especially Vegas with their LTIR. I don't love Edmonton or Vegas's prospect pool though. But it is what it is. Hoping Vancouver goes all in on Jake.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:16 pm
Pitts wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:07 pm

I agree that Vegas and Edmonton should be the favorites for Jake, especially Vegas with their LTIR. I don't love Edmonton or Vegas's prospect pool though. But it is what it is. Hoping Vancouver goes all in on Jake.
C'mon Jimmy!!! Make it a bidding war!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Here's more from Spector's on Edmonton and Vegas: https://www.spectorshockey.net/2024/03/ ... ch-1-2024/
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

I have now dubbed Rob Rossi as Rob "Hextall" Rossi. He had a mock trade call with an Edmonton reporter, and Rob gave Jake away for 3 magic beans and a mini bottle of beach sand from Lake Erie. This was Rossi's deal that he settled on for Jake.

Guentzel and Ruhwedel (both 50% retained) to Edmonton for 2024 1st round pick, 2024 6th rounder (NSH), 2025 conditional 2nd (becomes a first if EDM reaches 2024 Cup Final) and prospect Tyler Tullio (9th ranked Edmonton prospect, who Athletic site seems very down on)

What the actual F is Rossi thinking this trade actually does for this team?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

^^ I had such a hard time reading that article, I just gave up. What a terrible piece.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:08 pm ^^ I had such a hard time reading that article, I just gave up. What a terrible piece.
He actually responded to me on Twitter when I reposted his article with a puking GIF. He said be prepared for a lesser return than you think because Guentzel holds the cards with his trade clause and it's a buyer's market.

We shall see.
Pens Fans Sweden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Pens Fans Sweden »

30 other teams would match that deal. Guentzel has a 12 team no trade list, Dubas would get a better offer in five seconds.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I'm starting to think that after all of the Jake trade talks, we will get the mid-day alert next week saying the Pens have re-signed Jake. I think Dubas is only going to move Jake if he gets the right offer at this point.

Unless Jake is asking for $10+ mill AAV or doesn't want to re-sign here, Dubas isn't going to give him away.
Pens Fans Sweden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Pens Fans Sweden »

My gut feeling is telling me that Guentzel will be re-signed as well.

Hypothetically, which of these offers for Guentzel at 50% would you guys go for if you were to decide?

Oilers: Oilers 1st round pick 2024, McLeod and Holloway

Kings: Kings 1st round pick 2024, Turcotte and Kaliyev

Golden Knights: Golden Knights 1st round pick 2024, Brisson and Dorofeyev
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

We have chitty scouts and can’t seem to make successful draft picks. These draft picks will be late first rounders like (19-23ish). I want better than that for Jake.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:05 pm I have now dubbed Rob Rossi as Rob "Hextall" Rossi. He had a mock trade call with an Edmonton reporter, and Rob gave Jake away for 3 magic beans and a mini bottle of beach sand from Lake Erie. This was Rossi's deal that he settled on for Jake.

Guentzel and Ruhwedel (both 50% retained) to Edmonton for 2024 1st round pick, 2024 6th rounder (NSH), 2025 conditional 2nd (becomes a first if EDM reaches 2024 Cup Final) and prospect Tyler Tullio (9th ranked Edmonton prospect, who Athletic site seems very down on)

What the actual F is Rossi thinking this trade actually does for this team?
Him, Madden and Tim B are horrible, lazy and arrogant
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pens Fans Sweden wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:42 pm My gut feeling is telling me that Guentzel will be re-signed as well.

Hypothetically, which of these offers for Guentzel at 50% would you guys go for if you were to decide?

Oilers: Oilers 1st round pick 2024, McLeod and Holloway

Kings: Kings 1st round pick 2024, Turcotte and Kaliyev

Golden Knights: Golden Knights 1st round pick 2024, Brisson and Dorofeyev
I throw the Vegas offer out the window immediately. I'm not impressed by their prospects.

Between EDM and LA, LA is probably going to be a better 1st round pick. Turcotte and Holloway are the gambles in those deals, while Kaliyev and McLeod are the established guys. I'd probably take McLeod and Holloway deal from Edmonton, but I'm not sure they'll offer up both young centers (although Holloway has been playing a lot of LW).
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

KG wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:30 pm I'm starting to think that after all of the Jake trade talks, we will get the mid-day alert next week saying the Pens have re-signed Jake. I think Dubas is only going to move Jake if he gets the right offer at this point.

Unless Jake is asking for $10+ mill AAV or doesn't want to re-sign here, Dubas isn't going to give him away.
I get the feeling, but seriously, how does a sniper like Guentzel not look good to someone winding up for a cup run?

And I really think he's going to get $10-11 million AAV anywhere in the league. He's the top prospect in free-agency.

Jake has played his last game in a Penguins sweater, sorry to say. :(
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Edmonton's prospects are meh at best. I'm slowly starting to get the feeling that we aren't going to get a "haul" for Jake. He is a rental afterall. I'm starting to think a 1st, top 5 prospect, roster player to off-set cap and another pick will be the get.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

I mean, if we get a young roster player, a quality top 5 prospect that should actually make the NHL and contribute (probably not under Sullivan but you know), a 1st and another pick, I would be satisfied. I would be SHOCKED if he was not moved. Everything indicates he is out and will get paid.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KG wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:10 pm Edmonton's prospects are meh at best. I'm slowly starting to get the feeling that we aren't going to get a "haul" for Jake. He is a rental afterall. I'm starting to think a 1st, top 5 prospect, roster player to off-set cap and another pick will be the get.
That'll do me.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:40 pm
Pitts wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:08 pm ^^ I had such a hard time reading that article, I just gave up. What a terrible piece.
He actually responded to me on Twitter when I reposted his article with a puking GIF. He said be prepared for a lesser return than you think because Guentzel holds the cards with his trade clause and it's a buyer's market.

We shall see.
I said this a few weeks ago as well Re the return will be less than expected. At least publicly it sounds like Jake wants to test FA, so at the end of the day, he's nothing but a rental. Highly skilled, yep, top trade piece on the market, yep, but still a player that may be on your team for 4 weeks (+ he's injured)....

I'd much rather take an underwhelming return versus losing him for nothing. I 'd also take an underwhelming return versus signing him for 10M.

Dump Jake, Smith, Pett, (insert goalie name), and whoever else you can and stockpile assets for 2-3 seasons down the road. Oh, and fire the coaching staff.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

I'll be happy with any Jake return that gets us a young 3C that we can plug into the lineup now and a 1st.

If you can move forward with a top line of Rakell Crosby Rust a 4th line to include DOC Eller Accari it comes down to using Jake and Smith to retool the 2nd and 3rd lines
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

thehockeyguru wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:15 am I'll be happy with any Jake return that gets us a young 3C that we can plug into the lineup now and a 1st.

If you can move forward with a top line of Rakell Crosby Rust a 4th line to include DOC Eller Accari it comes down to using Jake and Smith to retool the 2nd and 3rd lines
Yes. To me, I'd be more ok with an underwhelming return if it meant one less piece, over getting a 1st and multiple meh pieces.

If Jake could only get us a 1st and one of Holloway/McLeod as the return...I wouldn't love it, but it would be acceptable.

Looking at some context, while he was 5-6 years older, Iginla was a playoff warrior, with very similar goal scoring stats to Jake, and he only cost us a 1st and 2 throw away prospects to acquire 10 years ago. That's a good historical comparison. Jake's age should net us something a little better.

So, coming around to the idea of a 1st and a very good prospect/young player, or a 1st, 2nd and average prospect will be the return. But, if there's an extension in place....then it needs to be a haul.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:46 am
thehockeyguru wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:15 am I'll be happy with any Jake return that gets us a young 3C that we can plug into the lineup now and a 1st.

Yes. To me, I'd be more ok with an underwhelming return if it meant one less piece, over getting a 1st and multiple meh pieces.

If Jake could only get us a 1st and one of Holloway/McLeod as the return...I wouldn't love it, but it would be acceptable.

Looking at some context, while he was 5-6 years older, Iginla was a playoff warrior, with very similar goal scoring stats to Jake, and he only cost us a 1st and 2 throw away prospects to acquire 10 years ago. That's a good historical comparison. Jake's age should net us something a little better.

So, coming around to the idea of a 1st and a very good prospect/young player, or a 1st, 2nd and average prospect will be the return. But, if there's an extension in place....then it needs to be a haul.

Giroux didn't sign in FLA and they got Tippett and two picks. Guentzel will have a greater impact than Giroux did, so I'm hopeful the return will be similar signed or not