What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline?

Sign him
14%
Trade him
62%
Deal with it after the season
25%

Total votes: 65

Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: What do you think the Pens will do with Jake by the trade deadline

Post by Pitts »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:08 pm
Spoiler:
KG wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:51 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:43 pm
Antonio wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:13 pm Reading the yohe Athletic article was exhausting if he is correct. If his perceptions of the state of things and belief and direction of the organization internally is right, then good lord we are in for a long long time of misery as a fan base. Hopefully he is completely and totally still wrong about everything he wrote.
I was arguing/discussion this issue with someone this morning. There are clearly 2 camps of Penguins fans right now...those that want to continue to go for it even if the odds are at like 1% to win a Cup, and those that are ready to retool/rebuild/nuke it.

The majority of ones that want to keep going are afraid of a rebuild, it seems. They want to hold onto something that has clearly past by, and are afraid to be bad for a number of years. They are hanging on to the "we still have Sid, Geno, and Tanger" and that we shouldn't be doing any type of "tanking" or "retooling" with them here.
Definitely divided. Media guy Shirey has this to say:

"Danny Shirey
@DannyShireyPGH
The return for Elias Lindholm has a lot of Penguins fans ready to send Jake Guentzel packing.

For me, the return for Lindholm only reinforces that PIT should keep Guentzel.

Perceived value of the assets Lindholm returned is much higher than reality."

To me, some in the media aren't taking into account what if Jake doesn't want to re-sign here?? Just let the season ride out and lose him for nothing? Why? This team isn't the Panthers last season. That's a very convenient example but far from reality.
Right. To paraphrase some Eminem, they are ready to "take one shot, one opportunity" then potentially let Guentzel and any other potential assets obtained via trade "slip away."

Even if they pass Philly and get 3rd in the Metro, what does anybody see in this team that makes them think they can even win 1 round? Yeah, Sid's been good, Jake's been good, Letang's been good, Pettersson's been good, and we've got some good goaltending from Jarry and Ned...but, it's like, most of those guys have been good as individuals, not all at the same time as a team.

Keeping a guy for "one more unrealistic playoff run" versus getting some potentially useful assets that can help for several years seems like a no-brainer to me. As long as the initial trade "looks fine on paper," even if Dubas traded Guentzel and the high end pieces he got all flamed out, I'd rather he tried and the players bombed than not try and just let Jake walk. That's where I'm at.
I am one of those ever optimistic goofs that subscribes to the mantra "anything can happen once you are in." :)

What if they decide to augment/transform rather than punt at the deadline? With a few new pieces, who knows what could happen? I also believe the Pens can in fact beat anyone in the east. They have shown a propensity to play up to the competition. In recent past playoffs it has been the goaltending that let them down more than team play.

One thing I can say - this Guentzel talk in getting cumbersome. Will be glad when it is over one way or the other. :P
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Pitts wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:35 pm
Spoiler:
Antonio wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:13 pm Reading the yohe Athletic article was exhausting if he is correct. If his perceptions of the state of things and belief and direction of the organization internally is right, then good lord we are in for a long long time of misery as a fan base. Hopefully he is completely and totally still wrong about everything he wrote.
I was arguing/discussion this issue with someone this morning. There are clearly 2 camps of Penguins fans right now...those that want to continue to go for it even if the odds are at like 1% to win a Cup, and those that are ready to retool/rebuild/nuke it.

The majority of ones that want to keep going are afraid of a rebuild, it seems. They want to hold onto something that has clearly past by, and are afraid to be bad for a number of years. They are hanging on to the "we still have Sid, Geno, and Tanger" and that we shouldn't be doing any type of "tanking" or "retooling" with them here.

"Danny Shirey
@DannyShireyPGH
The return for Elias Lindholm has a lot of Penguins fans ready to send Jake Guentzel packing.

To me, some in the media aren't taking into account what if Jake doesn't want to re-sign here?? Just let the season ride out and lose him for nothing? Why? This team isn't the Panthers last season. That's a very convenient example but far from reality.
Right. To paraphrase some Eminem, they are ready to "take one shot, one opportunity" then potentially let Guentzel and any other potential assets obtained via trade "slip away."

Even if they pass Philly and get 3rd in the Metro, what does anybody see in this team that makes them think they can even win 1 round? Yeah, Sid's been good, Jake's been good, Letang's been good, Pettersson's been good, and we've got some good goaltending from Jarry and Ned...but, it's like, most of those guys have been good as individuals, not all at the same time as a team.

Keeping a guy for "one more unrealistic playoff run" versus getting some potentially useful assets that can help for several years seems like a no-brainer to me. As long as the initial trade "looks fine on paper," even if Dubas traded Guentzel and the high end pieces he got all flamed out, I'd rather he tried and the players bombed than not try and just let Jake walk. That's where I'm at.
I am one of those ever optimistic goofs that subscribes to the mantra "anything can happen once you are in." :)

What if they decide to augment/transform rather than punt at the deadline? With a few new pieces, who knows what could happen? I also believe the Pens can in fact beat anyone in the east. They have shown a propensity to play up to the competition. In recent past playoffs it has been the goaltending that let them down more than team play.

One thing I can say - this Guentzel talk in getting cumbersome. Will be glad when it is over one way or the other. :P
What team have you been watching the last 6 years? Zero 2nd rounds. Finding ways to lose. We picked up a defenseman that scored over 100 pts last regular season.....a great addition. How many chances do we get to overlook this coaching staff? People make fun of Phil Kessel but maybe he was a very big reason we won back to back and it had NOTHING to do with Sully's coaching moves? Cut bait at this point. We hit rock bottom, no reason to start drilling.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

:scared:

The one that just went 11-5-4 in the past 20 games?
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Dynasty1970 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:47 pm
Spoiler:

"Danny Shirey
@DannyShireyPGH

What team have you been watching the last 6 years? Zero 2nd rounds. Finding ways to lose. We picked up a defenseman that scored over 100 pts last regular season.....a great addition. How many chances do we get to overlook this coaching staff? People make fun of Phil Kessel but maybe he was a very big reason we won back to back and it had NOTHING to do with Sully's coaching moves? Cut bait at this point. We hit rock bottom, no reason to start drilling.
It's all double terrifying for those of us that hated the idea of bringing in Karlsson....but here we are... 8-)
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I don't subscribe to that if the Pens trade Jake then they are going to be a bottom feeder. I think if they make a smart trade to bring in a few pieces they can make the lineup deeper. This team needs depth.

They need to change their mindset and roster construction of 2 offensive lines1 defensive line and 1 blackhole line. If they would come around to the fact that Sid and Geno can't do it by themselves and bring in solid depth players where they can roll 4 lines they would be much better off. 4 lines that can actually score.

No more Harkins and Carters of the world. Bring up Poulin and sign Puljujarvi. Get rid of Acciari as 4C. Either make him a RW on line 4 or trade him. He would have decent value at the deadline.

They could easily re-tool this team with our without Jake if they change their philosophy and bring in more offensive depth.

And a new coach...
Last edited by KG on Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Pitts wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:52 pm :scared:

That is essentially a .500 team 11-9 without sugar coating things. How many of those 9 losses could have been wins?.... without analyzing every game I have to think it is at least 6 of them. This team isn't dependable anymore. they don't win comfortably either when they do win. Unless they change this coaching staff I refuse to get my hopes up anymore. I feel like Charlie Brown.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Dynasty1970 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:12 pm
Pitts wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:52 pm :scared:

That is essentially a .500 team 11-9 without sugar coating things. How many of those 9 losses could have been wins?.... without analyzing every game I have to think it is at least 6 of them. This team isn't dependable anymore. they don't win comfortably either when they do win. Unless they change this coaching staff I refuse to get my hopes up anymore. I feel like Charlie Brown.
Yeah, I understand. But I really do think that if Dubas is smart with whatever he can do at the deadline, things could go in a different direction.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

I'm not bagging on your take at all. I am frustrated at the train wreck that we have become. We fail to take advantage of what we have. Lets face it....we are under performing. Or maybe not.....Maybe age has finally caught up to these guys....I mean just look at Ovechkin-9 Goals 31 Pts -17+/-. Age is something few can outrun. Which is another big problem with the oldest team in the league.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

[/quote]

Optimism is one hell of a drug. 😉

100% agree on the should he stay / should he go comment.
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by 100565 »

Guentzel at 50%
for
Hoglander and Podkolzin

Canucks would add $1.9mil to their cap which should work. Podkolzin in AHL but I would want the Pens to play him in NHL. Canucks would have a team to make a serious run this year while giving up some youth, but not their top two prospects.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... -podkolzin
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I don't have an Athletic subscription, so I don't know what exactly he said there, but I did listen to Yohe on Madden's show today.

--Yohe, as I've speculated here too, thinks the team is very concerned with keeping Crosby happy so that he will re-sign over the summer. Yohe seemed to think that entailed trying their best to re-sign Guentzel. Madden wondered whether Crosby could be sold on trading him to get assets to retool, if there was no chance of re-signing Guentzel.

--Yohe's sources hadn't told him about the 6 year/$50 million contract offer for Guentzel, but he thought that sounded about right in terms of what the Pens would offer. However, he thought Guentzel could reasonably expect $10-11 million per year on the open market, and the Pens weren't going to go there.

--Yohe said that Dubas preferred to re-sign Guentzel before the deadline, but Dubas wasn't "scared" to trade Guentzel at the deadline, if he didn't think they could re-sign him.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

largegarlic wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:48 pm I don't have an Athletic subscription, so I don't know what exactly he said there, but I did listen to Yohe on Madden's show today.

--Yohe, as I've speculated here too, thinks the team is very concerned with keeping Crosby happy so that he will re-sign over the summer. Yohe seemed to think that entailed trying their best to re-sign Guentzel. Madden wondered whether Crosby could be sold on trading him to get assets to retool, if there was no chance of re-signing Guentzel.

--Yohe's sources hadn't told him about the 6 year/$50 million contract offer for Guentzel, but he thought that sounded about right in terms of what the Pens would offer. However, he thought Guentzel could reasonably expect $10-11 million per year on the open market, and the Pens weren't going to go there.

--Yohe said that Dubas preferred to re-sign Guentzel before the deadline, but Dubas wasn't "scared" to trade Guentzel at the deadline, if he didn't think they could re-sign him.
Thanks for the recap. Here's what I can recap from The Athletic article titled "What I’m hearing about Penguins’ Jake Guentzel trade decision, Kyle Dubas’ next moves, Erik Karlsson"

--Yohe mentions that on December 11th Dubas said the next 20 games would be crucial in his decision making. The team went 11-5-4, which was 26 points, and would be a 107 point pace over the course of the season. Yet, they went into the ASG break with little confidence after blowing 2 goal lead vs Vegas, own goal embarrassment vs Arizona, needing a goal with the goalie pulled to salvage a point vs Florida, and a dramatic comeback against Montreal. The Penguins tied the score 3 times with the goalie pulled in their past 7 games. Dramatic flair, yes. Sustainable, no. Also says 11 of those 20 games were against non-playoff teams. He continues to pile on reasons why there is reason for doubt.

--There is zero sense Sullivan needs to be concerned about his job. Front office believes he is doing a good job, he has a good relationship with Crosby, and he has built a strong relationship with Dubas.

--Says Reirden being let go would also come as a surprise. Nobody has outright said he has safe, but those Yohe talked to state the overall sentiment is the PP issues lie with the players, not the coaching. According to Yohe, Reirden is widely regarded as one of the best assistants around the league, and management doesn't share the fan view that he is an issue.

--Says the organization expected more from Karlsson, especially on the PP. They expected him to mesh with Crosby, Guentzel, and Malkin. There was reluctance to remove him from the top PP until recently. The team wants Karlsson to use his legs more. Sounds like they want Karlsson carrying the puck in a lot more than he is. They don't want long stretch passes or dump ins on the PP from Karlsson.

--Organization is very high on John Ludvig. Don't be surprised if he bumps POJ out of the lineup, although, the team believes POJ's play has improved over this recent stretch without Ludvig in the lineup.

--Guentzel’s situation, though, is unique. From what I’ve been told, Dubas isn’t afraid to trade Guentzel, even if Crosby and Sullivan would prefer to keep him employed in Pittsburgh. If Dubas believes a new contract simply isn’t in the cards, I believe he’ll trade Guentzel before letting him walk for nothing.

Basically says it will come down to Guentzel still giving a somewhat team friendly deal, and what Guentzel's number is compared to Dubas's number. (outside this article, I've heard the team probably wouldn't go above 9M AAV...that's from FLPensFan, not Yohe)
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

Well if that isn’t a kick in the gut to read. Looks like this coaching staff is going nowhere. Same as this team.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

NHL Watcher
@NHL_Watcher
Chris Johnston TSN Sportscentre says Oilers would like to add an impact forward before the deadline, names Guentzel and Eberle as possible targets, but Pens have not decided what they want to do with Guentzel, and Seattle is still in the wildcard race.

Edmonton doesn't have much when it comes to legit prospects, or younger players on cheap contracts. Don't really see a fit.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

That number mentioned 6/50 is exactly what I had in mind.. somewhere in that range for Jake I think will eventually be signed 6 years 8.5M per! 5-7 years and 8.5 up to 8.75M per season..

Btw. Its just horrible to read about coaching staff.. how,like how the hell ??
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

If we believe that Jake was offered 6 x $8.5AAV and turned it down (which he should), maybe offer him 8 years X $9mill AAV final offer type of deal. If they decline and want to go to the summer, then you have to trade him. Looking at the standings, a lot of teams think they are in it to win it. All of these playoff teams would have interest in Jake: Vancouver, Vegas, Edmonton, LA, Colorado, Dallas, Winnipeg, Nashville, Rangers, Hurricanes, Boston, Florida, Tampa, Toronto. 14-15 teams. Plenty of buyers, and Jake would be the best player available.

KD isn't dumb, he knows how valuable Jake will be around the league, especially if we retain 50% so he can fit into everyone's cap. Make him a solid offer, if he declines, trade him for a haul!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:51 pm NHL Watcher
@NHL_Watcher
Chris Johnston TSN Sportscentre says Oilers would like to add an impact forward before the deadline, names Guentzel and Eberle as possible targets, but Pens have not decided what they want to do with Guentzel, and Seattle is still in the wildcard race.

Edmonton doesn't have much when it comes to legit prospects, or younger players on cheap contracts. Don't really see a fit.
Some combination of Broberg, Holloway, and McLeod (not the one in trouble) and a 1st MIGHT BE acceptable.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

It is widely believed that the Pens are not going to be buyers at or near the deadline. So if they don't trade Jake, that's basically saying that what this team is, is good enough to go on a run?

There is no way that KD thinks that. He won't come out and say it, but this team isn't a contender. The worst thing we can do is stand-pat and ride out the season and lose assets for nothing. Re-tool the team.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Not sure of this was posted, but according to this dude, Jake turned the Pens down:
https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburg ... r_N8hWxKyM
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Yeah I read it earlier but I thought it had been posted because someone else referenced it here I think. I mean every single quote I have read from his agent and his camp have made it abundantly clear he has zero intention of signing here and is fully planning to get PAID, so I believe this 100% percent.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Pitts wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:30 pm Not sure of this was posted, but according to this dude, Jake turned the Pens down:
https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pittsburg ... r_N8hWxKyM
Yeah, I saw this today as well. If FSG / Dubas think this team has a serious shot, they are completely delusional. :scared:
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Antonio wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:20 pm Yeah I read it earlier but I thought it had been posted because someone else referenced it here I think. I mean every single quote I have read from his agent and his camp have made it abundantly clear he has zero intention of signing here and is fully planning to get PAID, so I believe this 100% percent.
The way I am reading things, Jake wants to see what is out there. When he hits free agency, what kind of offers is he going to get. I don't think it's that he doesn't want to be here, but he wants to see what other teams will offer him and if something else is a better fit.

I don't think Jake is gonna take 12M a year to go play in Buffalo, but again, I think Jake and his agent (unlike Penguins management) are realistic in where the best chance to play post season hockey is...it's not in Pittsburgh.

I'm betting Jake would love to go home and play for Minnesota, but unfortunately for him the timing is wrong. Parise and Suter massive dead cap hits are still on the books next season for 14.7M. After the 24-25 season, they drop down to 1.6M...so Jake misses his chance there by 1 year.

If there is a good team like a Colorado, Carolina, New Jersey, Dallas, etc that can make him a good offer, that's his best chance for success.
Ericf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Ericf »

FLPensFan wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:14 am
Antonio wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:20 pm Yeah I read it earlier but I thought it had been posted because someone else referenced it here I think. I mean every single quote I have read from his agent and his camp have made it abundantly clear he has zero intention of signing here and is fully planning to get PAID, so I believe this 100% percent.
The way I am reading things, Jake wants to see what is out there. When he hits free agency, what kind of offers is he going to get. I don't think it's that he doesn't want to be here, but he wants to see what other teams will offer him and if something else is a better fit.

I don't think Jake is gonna take 12M a year to go play in Buffalo, but again, I think Jake and his agent (unlike Penguins management) are realistic in where the best chance to play post season hockey is...it's not in Pittsburgh.

I'm betting Jake would love to go home and play for Minnesota, but unfortunately for him the timing is wrong. Parise and Suter massive dead cap hits are still on the books next season for 14.7M. After the 24-25 season, they drop down to 1.6M...so Jake misses his chance there by 1 year.

If there is a good team like a Colorado, Carolina, New Jersey, Dallas, etc that can make him a good offer, that's his best chance for success.
Don’t begrudge him taking that stand. But in that case the Pens absolutely must trade him at the deadline unless they look like a whole new team the next few weeks, go on a winning streak and the PP really starts clicking. Chances of that are slim lol. It would be malpractice for Dubas to let him possibly walk at the end of the season when this team is a borderline playoff hopeful and not a true contender
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

Ericf wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:20 am
FLPensFan wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:14 am

Don’t begrudge him taking that stand. But in that case the Pens absolutely must trade him at the deadline unless they look like a whole new team the next few weeks, go on a winning streak and the PP really starts clicking. Chances of that are slim lol. It would be malpractice for Dubas to let him possibly walk at the end of the season when this team is a borderline playoff hopeful and not a true contender
If I am Dubas, he gets traded and you tell him they'll make an offer for him when he hits free agency. You structure the deal that the team who trades for him gives you another pick if they re-sign him.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

It really is for the best for both the Pens and for Jake, that the Penguins trade him before the March 8 deadline. With luck, Jake goes to a contender and / or eventual Cup winner and the Pens get a real shot at rebuilding. The Hockey News article really laid it all out there - there's nothing in the Pens farm system except 3rd pairing D-men and bottom 6 forwards. The need for new and talented young players is absolutely critical.

Get it done, Kyle Dubas!!