Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Coffey Break wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:14 pm
Antonio wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:05 pm Interesting to consider isn't it? But you know, he would definitely be the first player to produce before coming here, fall apart under Sullivan and then produce again when he leaves, so I'm sure it's a fluke. Definitely has nothing to with Sullivan... Sully is a great coach, but...
Off the top of my head:

Evan Rodrigues
Mikael Granlund
Sam Lafferty
Jared McCann
Nick Bjugstad (to a lesser extent but still)

And I'm sure a bunch more that have gone on to be much better players after leaving PIT under Sullivan. A common and troubling trend to say the least.
Rodrigues did just fine here under Sullivan but the yinzers around here still wanted him gone. Laff played fine as well.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Dubas needs to start exploring a Guentzel trade
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Cow_Master66 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:46 pm
Coffey Break wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:14 pm
Antonio wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:05 pm Interesting to consider isn't it? But you know, he would definitely be the first player to produce before coming here, fall apart under Sullivan and then produce again when he leaves, so I'm sure it's a fluke. Definitely has nothing to with Sullivan... Sully is a great coach, but...
Off the top of my head:

Evan Rodrigues
Mikael Granlund
Sam Lafferty
Jared McCann
Nick Bjugstad (to a lesser extent but still)

And I'm sure a bunch more that have gone on to be much better players after leaving PIT under Sullivan. A common and troubling trend to say the least.
Rodrigues did just fine here under Sullivan but the yinzers around here still wanted him gone. Laff played fine as well.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

You can all do the same chart for every team in this league. Every team. I'm not absolving Sullivan here, but the NHL shuffle happens every year for every team. Lists like this never take into account playing time, powerplay minutes, line mates that work better, etc. This is an exercise in futility because all those players were never gonna stay on one team anyway. It's a list full of bottom-sixers!
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

If Puljujarvi does indeed stick in the coming days and Rakell is back in the lineup soon (assuming Rust out long-term), gotta try this for the top 9:

Guentzel-Sid-Rakell
Smith-Malkin-Puustinen
DOC-Eller-Puljujarvi

This looks atleast like somewhat of a more balanced top 9 unit with a guy like Puljujarvi who might be able to take shifts with the big boys up-front when needed. And when Rust is back, plug him in as Line 2 RW.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pitts wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:31 am You can all do the same chart for every team in this league. Every team. I'm not absolving Sullivan here, but the NHL shuffle happens every year for every team. Lists like this never take into account playing time, powerplay minutes, line mates that work better, etc. This is an exercise in futility because all those players were never gonna stay on one team anyway. It's a list full of bottom-sixers!
Yeah, I agree. I think Sully certainly dropped the ball with most of the players on the list and many have gone on to produce elsewhere. Problem is Granlund is getting top line minutes, top line PP minutes to produce those numbers. He was never going to get that action here. That said, I would happily take a 3rd line of say McCann, EROD, Bjugstad. That Panthers trade that FGMJR pulled off that got us McCann and Bjugstad for Brassard and a couple of picks was always a great trade to me.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:46 am
Pitts wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:31 am You can all do the same chart for every team in this league. Every team. I'm not absolving Sullivan here, but the NHL shuffle happens every year for every team. Lists like this never take into account playing time, powerplay minutes, line mates that work better, etc. This is an exercise in futility because all those players were never gonna stay on one team anyway. It's a list full of bottom-sixers!
Yeah, I agree. I think Sully certainly dropped the ball with most of the players on the list and many have gone on to produce elsewhere. Problem is Granlund is getting top line minutes, top line PP minutes to produce those numbers. He was never going to get that action here. That said, I would happily take a 3rd line of say McCann, EROD, Bjugstad. That Panthers trade that FGMJR pulled off that got us McCann and Bjugstad for Brassard and a couple of picks was always a great trade to me.
Agreed. McCann though is another example of a player being gifted top minutes on an expansion team. Not sure he can pile up those numbers with 3rd line minutes here.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Wes Crosby
@OtherNHLCrosby
Kyle Dubas set to speak after practice today. #Pens
10:46 AM · Dec 11, 2023

:pop:
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

KG wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:51 am Wes Crosby
@OtherNHLCrosby
Kyle Dubas set to speak after practice today. #Pens
10:46 AM · Dec 11, 2023

:pop:
"We have signed Stinger to a PTO."

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Vrana on waivers from the Blues today. Last year of his deal at $2,625mill. Would be an intriguing pickup, but we don't have the space to make the claim.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Some random notes from DK Insider piece today:

--Crosby much better on draws this year. Last year he was apparently struggling for a stretch, which is why Carter often took OT faceoff draws. Crosby said he isn't doing much different, and really attributed a lot of success to his wingers retrieving/battling for pucks on draws.

--Timeline on Puljujarvi is undetermined. Penguins reportedly going to take the process slowly. Even though he is on a 10 day PTO, sounds like those can be extended as Danton Heinen was on a PTO for like 2 months with Boston before getting signed.

--Dubas travels with quite a few people when watching road games. Always seems to have one or two of Spezza, Mpofu, Kessel, or Wilson with him. Big contrast to Hextall, who often went alone or only had Burke with him. There was also a comment about how Dubas was impressed with Nick Pryor, which is why he is still around even though his father was fired.

--Talk about how Puustinen has fit in well in all facets this season. Says Penguins weren't over looking him, he got off to a slow start in WBS and he was apparently dealing with an injury for awhile, playing through it. Puustinen himself says now that he's past that, he feels like it is a new start to the season and is playing much better.

--Doesn't seem like In The Room is coming back. Taylor says all the people that made that show are still here, but it seems they have been prioritized on other things.

--Finally, there was a blurb about how Phil Bourque got Kevin Acklin hooked up with Jagr, they gave him a tour of PPG and Cranberry when he was here several months ago, etc. Apparently, before Dubas was hired (assuming after Hextall was let go, though), Acklin brought him to a room where scouts and others were prepping for the draft. Acklin walked in and said he just acquired a new player, Jagr walked into the room and said "You're all fired!"

My comment....I'm sure Jagr probably didn't realize the situation at hand with that comment. That probably scared the crap out of some people.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... ey-crosby/

LeBrun thinks Dubas could go full throttle and move out some legit pieces if they don't turn it around. Only a couple of the main players I could see being moved would be Jake if his contract demands are too high and EK. If we aren't firmly in the playoff picture by deadline time, I could see Dubas moving Karlsson to replenish assets. We have retention slots available to make a trade happen.

I'm hopeful that they turn it on and go on a run, but even when they win they are far from dominant.

Moving out Jake and EK for younger players/picks could speed up the re-tool. It's a tough call. It has been a tough decision on what course this team should go for several years now.

As presently constituted they aren't a contender. They aren't deep enough. Can they make a couple of smart hockey trades to make them a contender?
Last edited by KG on Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

KG wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:00 pm https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... ey-crosby/

LeBrun thinks Dubas could go full throttle and move out some legit pieces if they don't turn it around. Only one of the main players I could see being moved would be Jake if his contract demands are too high and EK. If we aren't firmly in the playoff picture by deadline time, I could see Dubas moving Karlsson to replenish assets. We have retention slots available to make a trade happen.

I'm hopeful that they turn it on and go on a run, but even when they win they are far from dominant.

Moving out Jake and EK for younger players/picks could speed up the re-tool. It's a tough call. It has been a tough decision on what course this team should go for several years now.

As presently constituted they aren't a contender. They aren't deep enough. Can they make a couple of smart hockey trades to make them a contender?
No, but can they change the coach, instill a new system, and surge in the 2nd half of the season and be a contender? Yes.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:00 pm https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... ey-crosby/

LeBrun thinks Dubas could go full throttle and move out some legit pieces if they don't turn it around. Only a couple of the main players I could see being moved would be Jake if his contract demands are too high and EK. If we aren't firmly in the playoff picture by deadline time, I could see Dubas moving Karlsson to replenish assets. We have retention slots available to make a trade happen.

If the Penguins went into sell mode, Jake should be at the top of the list. This team isn't good enough now, and they are locked into too many vets and NMC/NTC to have any real room to turn around the roster. I don't see this team being better this year, or next year, or the year after, that it makes sense to sign Guentzel to a long term deal. If the right offer is out there, such as a mid-level 1st rounder and a high prospect, or 2 1sts, or a 1st and a good young NHLer...pull the trigger.

I don't think anyone will want to take on EK right now with his $$$ and term. Penguins could eat some, but

Rust, Smith, and Acciari are probably the attractive vets up front. Rust may be older, but he was producing well before getting injured. Rakell, on the other hand, likely has diminished value due to his play to date. Acciari is known as a playoff warrior and is only slightly overpaid. Smith only has this year and next year on his contract, which could make him attractive to some teams.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:55 pm

If the Penguins went into sell mode, Jake should be at the top of the list. This team isn't good enough now, and they are locked into too many vets and NMC/NTC to have any real room to turn around the roster. I don't see this team being better this year, or next year, or the year after, that it makes sense to sign Guentzel to a long term deal. If the right offer is out there, such as a mid-level 1st rounder and a high prospect, or 2 1sts, or a 1st and a good young NHLer...pull the trigger.

I don't think anyone will want to take on EK right now with his $$$ and term. Penguins could eat some, but

Rust, Smith, and Acciari are probably the attractive vets up front. Rust may be older, but he was producing well before getting injured. Rakell, on the other hand, likely has diminished value due to his play to date. Acciari is known as a playoff warrior and is only slightly overpaid. Smith only has this year and next year on his contract, which could make him attractive to some teams.
I'm wondering if they could move on from Graves as well. He's still young and could do better in a different system. If the team is not going anywhere, they could just turn over the LD (beyond Pettersson) to Ludvig, POJ, Shea, Smith for the remainder of the season.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Rakell looks to be ready to return tomorrow. Skating with Jake and Sid at practice.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

KG wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:46 pm Rakell looks to be ready to return tomorrow. Skating with Jake and Sid at practice.
Looks like these are the current lines:

Guentzel - Crosby - Rakell
Smith - Malkin - Puustinen
Zohorna-Eller-O'Connor
Harkins - Gruden - Carter
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Hinostroza on waivers to activate Rakell
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

dark_forces wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:07 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:55 pm

I'm wondering if they could move on from Graves as well. He's still young and could do better in a different system. If the team is not going anywhere, they could just turn over the LD (beyond Pettersson) to Ludvig, POJ, Shea, Smith for the remainder of the season.
5 more years at 4.5M with trade protection list all 5 years with the way Graves has played to date...makes me think there's nobody dumb enough out there to take on that risk.

Dubas needs to get out of the trade protection business. Penguins are one of the top teams when it comes to trade protection for players, with 13 on their roster. That's WAY too many. Dubas signed Graves, Jarry, and Acciari each with trade protection for the life of their contract. Trade protection should be reserved for your superstars like Crosby, Malkin, Letang (full NMC), with your secondary guys like a Jake or Pettersson with NTC for partial years, either front loaded or back loaded with the protection.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:12 pm Hinostroza on waivers to activate Rakell
I'll be interested to see how Zohorna looks back on the 3rd line with DOC and Eller. DOC and Zohorna played together in WBS and seemed to have some chemistry, and they both seemed to work well with Eller.

If Zohorna isn't showing much improvement back on the 3rd line, I'd probably rather have Hinostroza in the lineup of Z.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:03 pm
I'll be interested to see how Zohorna looks back on the 3rd line with DOC and Eller. DOC and Zohorna played together in WBS and seemed to have some chemistry, and they both seemed to work well with Eller.

If Zohorna isn't showing much improvement back on the 3rd line, I'd probably rather have Hinostroza in the lineup of Z.

DOC Eller Zahorna is a good 4th line.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Kraken just picked up Tatar from Colorado for a 5th. I would have taken that action for the Pens.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

KG wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:21 pm Kraken just picked up Tatar from Colorado for a 5th. I would have taken that action for the Pens.
When everyone is healthy I don’t think we could even fit in his $1.5 million contract unless we only carried 12 skaters.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

No.. no I don't think so.

Per Sullivan: “This is the first practice he participated in full capacity. We’ll see how he responds. We’ll take it day to day. But we’re certainly encouraged with what we saw out there today.”

Also, the cap is a problem. We started the season with 12F-8D-2G and just barely got under the cap. Counting players on IR and Rakell and not Hinostroza, we're carrying salary for 16F-8D-2G. So barring anyone else going on LTIR (retroactively) that's 4 guys that need to go down.

Gruden, Johnstone, Harkins, Puustinen, book it.

But maybe Carter develops a nasty cough.