Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:20 am
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:51 pm
KBone wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:47 pm I know FSG can just write off Sullivan's salary without a second thought, but they wouldn't even have to.

Some other team would hire him and he'd be off the books for the Pens.

So, just keep in mind... keeping Sullivan has nothing to do with money.
I'm not saying to trade the core...but I honestly feel like Sullivan would be a much better coach here without the core. When he won his 2 Cups, he had young guys like Guentzel, Rust, Sheary, Wilson, Kuhnhackl just breaking into their own, plus a younger core in their prime.

You look back a year or two ago when injuries were forcing Blueger to be a 2nd line center...and the team was actually playing well.

It seems like Sullivan has a better impact with youthful players that have some skill and can implement his system, and, I think Dubas and FSG would have seller's remorse if they fired Sullivan, and he went to somewhere like an Ottawa or Arizona or Detroit and made a huge impact on a younger team.

I truly believe that is part of the issue.
Trade Guentzel. It's the next logical move if you are not going to fire the coach. Package Guentzel, POJ and you could get some nice assets in return and send a hard message to the core.
I'm not even sure I trust Dubas to not just get the next 30+ year old that Sullivan has on his list as a return for Guentzel. Something around Guentzel for Lawson Crouse would make me happy.

This team could really use a skilled, physical forward.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Pitts wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:20 am
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:51 pm
KBone wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:47 pm I know FSG can just write off Sullivan's salary without a second thought, but they wouldn't even have to.

Some other team would hire him and he'd be off the books for the Pens.

So, just keep in mind... keeping Sullivan has nothing to do with money.
I'm not saying to trade the core...but I honestly feel like Sullivan would be a much better coach here without the core. When he won his 2 Cups, he had young guys like Guentzel, Rust, Sheary, Wilson, Kuhnhackl just breaking into their own, plus a younger core in their prime.

You look back a year or two ago when injuries were forcing Blueger to be a 2nd line center...and the team was actually playing well.

It seems like Sullivan has a better impact with youthful players that have some skill and can implement his system, and, I think Dubas and FSG would have seller's remorse if they fired Sullivan, and he went to somewhere like an Ottawa or Arizona or Detroit and made a huge impact on a younger team.

I truly believe that is part of the issue.
Trade Guentzel. It's the next logical move if you are not going to fire the coach. Package Guentzel, POJ and you could get some nice assets in return and send a hard message to the core.
That’s a great idea! But I’ll bet they’ll sign him to 8yr 8M per, just to keep Crosby happy.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Why isn’t POHO/GMKD in the locker room screaming at these guys to earn their paychecks. In any business, it’s about results. I’m saying it again, it’s the return of the good old boys club.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Dubas had some feedback on some Penguins things yesterday on the GM show with Getzoff. I'll summarize based on what DK's site posted:

--Dubas happy with the goaltending. Since the Oct 30th loss to the Ducks, Jarry is sporting a .930 SV%. Dubas also mentioned they targeted Nedeljkovic because of his puck handling, as that is a good pairing with Jarry. Said it prevents the team from having to alter it's game too much with a different goalie in there, since they are both excellent puck handlers. Said goalie development coaches have done a good job with Jarry, Ned, plus Hellberg and Blomqvist.

--Dubas said Carter has been very effective since returning to the lineup. Talked about how professional he was being a first time healthy scratch. Yada, yada, I didn't care.

--Dubas flat out said the PP "has to be rectified." “Because of our goaltending, because of our penalty kill, and because of our ability at even strength, we've been able to stay in the race,” Dubas said. “If we can get the power play sorted out, and we continue to build on those other areas of our game, I think we're going to be in a good spot.”

--Dubas on depth forwards...Zohorna, he talked about him having the great camp and great play on his first callup, but he's tailed off since. Says they need to push him and challenge him to be better. On Harkins, he said his camp was just OK. Said since going down and back up, he now seems to be playing to the level they expected. On Hinostroza, he just talked about needing to build a level of consistency. On Koopanen, Dubas said the team didn't do a good job giving him opportunities. Said he hasn't gotten as much time as they would have liked with 2 tight games against Philly, but they have liked his game and want to get him more time.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:18 pm Dubas had some feedback on some Penguins things yesterday on the GM show with Getzoff. I'll summarize based on what DK's site posted:

--Dubas happy with the goaltending. Since the Oct 30th loss to the Ducks, Jarry is sporting a .930 SV%. Dubas also mentioned they targeted Nedeljkovic because of his puck handling, as that is a good pairing with Jarry. Said it prevents the team from having to alter it's game too much with a different goalie in there, since they are both excellent puck handlers. Said goalie development coaches have done a good job with Jarry, Ned, plus Hellberg and Blomqvist.

--Dubas said Carter has been very effective since returning to the lineup. Talked about how professional he was being a first time healthy scratch. Yada, yada, I didn't care.

--Dubas flat out said the PP "has to be rectified." “Because of our goaltending, because of our penalty kill, and because of our ability at even strength, we've been able to stay in the race,” Dubas said. “If we can get the power play sorted out, and we continue to build on those other areas of our game, I think we're going to be in a good spot.”

--Dubas on depth forwards...Zohorna, he talked about him having the great camp and great play on his first callup, but he's tailed off since. Says they need to push him and challenge him to be better. On Harkins, he said his camp was just OK. Said since going down and back up, he now seems to be playing to the level they expected. On Hinostroza, he just talked about needing to build a level of consistency. On Koopanen, Dubas said the team didn't do a good job giving him opportunities. Said he hasn't gotten as much time as they would have liked with 2 tight games against Philly, but they have liked his game and want to get him more time.

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/kyle- ... road-ahead

Thought it was pretty telling how important he is viewing the next couple of games. Seems like he's starting to realize that's it's getting late early here!

Looking ahead to Thursday’s game in Tampa, Dubas called it “a massive game for us in how we approach it.” He feels the two games in Florida, starting with the Lightning before continuing on to play the Panthers on Friday, will be indicative of where the Penguins are at.

“Can we clean up a lot of the stuff that we've let slip against Philadelphia, and find our way against a very difficult opponent on the road in two of them?” Dubas said. “That’s for me, as I continue to get to know and learn this group, the different things that I'm looking for that will be instructive to how we dictate the course of where we go in the second half of the year.”
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

My pipe dream of adding Crouse or McBain are likely dead (they likely were always dead). Big rumors out there that with their solid play already this season that GM Bill Armstrong may come out of rebuild mode and start sacrificing some picks/good prospects to bolster the team.

With Calgary slipping and Markstrom out for weeks, rumors are that Arizona is making a big push to acquire Noah Hanifin. Arizona has 4M in cap space, all of its 1st rounders over the 3 years, 10 2nd rounders over 3 years, and 7 3rd rounders over 3 years. They also have a handful of A level prospects that aren't the level of a Keller, Hayton, Cooley...but desirable by most clubs.

PS Former Penguins Bjugstad and Zucker have a combined 11 goals for Arizona right now.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Completely random but how about this? Evan Rodrigues just posted 2+2 tonight for FLA. He's now up to 20 points in 25 games.

That total is the same as the combined points of our entire latest 3rd line arrangement (before Rakell got hurt): DOC-Eller-Zohorna and would also put Rodrigues T-4 on the team in points.

What a mistake letting that guy go 2 summers ago in favor of all the under-performing players that were subsequently signed. And not the least surprising that it may have perhaps been Sullivan's call to not re-sign him based off a penalty he took in the Rangers series the spring prior.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

All good things come to an end. If this is it, it was a good run. I see no reason why the Penguins cannot rebuild and still allow their aging stars to remain and retire as Penguins. But if it means the others are sold off to the highest bidder for picks and prospects so be it. I am ok with that.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:58 am All good things come to an end. If this is it, it was a good run. I see no reason why the Penguins cannot rebuild and still allow their aging stars to remain and retire as Penguins. But if it means the others are sold off to the highest bidder for picks and prospects so be it. I am ok with that.
Problem is...anyone worth anything has trade protection. Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Guentzel, Pettersson, Rust, Rakell, Smith, Carter, Acciari, Jarry, Graves, and Karlsson all have trade protection. That limits the return because it limits the teams that can be involved.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I would think a trade of some sort has to happen first, before we move on from Sully. We are so afraid of letting Sully go that we explore all other avenues first!

Maybe a struggling player for a struggling player change of scenery type of trade. Issue is, as FLP says, mostly anyone of value has some trade protection. The trade needs to be more than trading say POJ for a 4th round pick. Players need to know KD is serious.

If he's unable to make a sizeable trade, then you have to fire Sully.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

A meaningful trade just seems really hard to pull off.

--We don't have cap space, so even if we had good future assets in picks and prospects (which we don't), we couldn't trade those assets for a player with a significant contract.

--Lots of guys have some NTC or NMC.

--Some guys who are struggling but might have some value around the league like Graves or Acciari just got here, and it seems premature to give up on them.

I could see something like a trade of Joseph for another struggling, cheap younger player, but would that really move the needle?

I could also see something bigger around Guentzel. Maybe trade Guentzel to a contender for picks/prospects (though who has cap space?), and then use those assets and cap space to get another winger of a different type than Guentzel. But again, it's not clear that would make the team better.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

It's really a supremely flawed roster. Is the bottom 6 better defensively then last year? I guess so. But at the time these, as these moves occurred over the summer, a lot of us were saying what we're seeing now - it's a bunch of ham end eggers that are essentially exactly the same players. You can rotate them all in at certain points, and it's the same defense-first, okay speed, 5 foot nothing player.

The Karlsson trade was still phenomenal not only because you got EK65 but more importantly, because you got rid of all that deadweight (Granlund has 13 points in 19 games with SJ btw).

Where I have the biggest problem (and had at the moment it was announced) is how badly GMKD missed on his player evaluation on Ryan Graves. And gave him this bloated contract. He is barely a top 4 d-man in this league. Imagine utilizing that money for a forward or two who can contribute in different ways (most importantly, goal-scoring). And that contract looks even worse now that we know a guy like Ludvig actually does NOT look out of place at all getting top-4 minutes (and still having POJ in reserve). HUGE miss by GMKD.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

largegarlic wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:41 pm A meaningful trade just seems really hard to pull off.

--We don't have cap space, so even if we had good future assets in picks and prospects (which we don't), we couldn't trade those assets for a player with a significant contract.

--Lots of guys have some NTC or NMC.

--Some guys who are struggling but might have some value around the league like Graves or Acciari just got here, and it seems premature to give up on them.

I could see something like a trade of Joseph for another struggling, cheap younger player, but would that really move the needle?

I could also see something bigger around Guentzel. Maybe trade Guentzel to a contender for picks/prospects (though who has cap space?), and then use those assets and cap space to get another winger of a different type than Guentzel. But again, it's not clear that would make the team better.
Guentzel is really the only trade chip they could potentially part with. They aren't going to win a Guentzel trade in skill. It would/should kind of be a Neal for Hornqvist type deal. But Jake's NTC could complicate that.

I've been clamoring for it for weeks, but Guentzel for Lawson Crouse would be my move to try. Arizona's success means its doubtful they would deal him. Only other real option would be Pettersson...but I don't see any way we win a Pettersson trade. Count on Ludvig to play more minutes? Count on Graves actually figuring out how to play?
Pens Fans Sweden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Pens Fans Sweden »

Is there a deal to be made with the Canucks to shake things up for the Penguins? Would you trade Smith for either Garland or Kuzmenko? Both guys seems to be non favorites of coach Tocchet in Vancouver and a change could probably benefit them. Kuzmenko had a superb rookie season last year with 39 goals and 74 points. He's signed for two more years at $5,500,000 per. Garland is a pesky guy who I've been a fan of for quite some time and I'd be interested to see what he could do with the Penguins. Signed for three more years at $4,950,000 per.

Smith is a decent player but the Penguins need a shake up trade and Canucks seems like a good trading partner.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pittsburgh Penguins
@penguins
The Penguins have recalled forwards Marc Johnstone, Jonathan Gruden, and Valtteri Puustinen from the
@WBSPenguins

Forwards Joona Koppanen and Alex Nylander have been re-assigned to WBS.

Forward Noel Acciari has been placed on injured reserve.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Just a curious question. Why do the announcers call the area in front of the goalie “the blue paint” instead of “the crease”? I know it’s because it’s blue so no smart remarks. Lol. Remember when it was called the goalie crease?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Wyopen wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:48 pm Just a curious question. Why do the announcers call the area in front of the goalie “the blue paint” instead of “the crease”? I know it’s because it’s blue so no smart remarks. Lol. Remember when it was called the goalie crease?
To keep things fresh?

An interesting question is why it was called a crease to begin with:
https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canu ... se-5459394
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Always been and will always be the crease to me. Of course, in STILL bothered by home teams in dark instead of white so...
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

Thanks for the history Admin. I guess I’m old school. Still prefer “the crease”. Now it’s the same as basketball, “the paint”.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Granlund named player of the week!

Maybe Hextall wasn’t wrong about Granlund and Sully is the problem

:)
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Interesting to consider isn't it? But you know, he would definitely be the first player to produce before coming here, fall apart under Sullivan and then produce again when he leaves, so I'm sure it's a fluke. Definitely has nothing to with Sullivan... Sully is a great coach, but...
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Antonio wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:05 pm Interesting to consider isn't it? But you know, he would definitely be the first player to produce before coming here, fall apart under Sullivan and then produce again when he leaves, so I'm sure it's a fluke. Definitely has nothing to with Sullivan... Sully is a great coach, but...
Off the top of my head:

Evan Rodrigues
Mikael Granlund
Sam Lafferty
Jared McCann
Nick Bjugstad (to a lesser extent but still)

And I'm sure a bunch more that have gone on to be much better players after leaving PIT under Sullivan. A common and troubling trend to say the least.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Coffey Break wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:14 pm
Antonio wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:05 pm Interesting to consider isn't it? But you know, he would definitely be the first player to produce before coming here, fall apart under Sullivan and then produce again when he leaves, so I'm sure it's a fluke. Definitely has nothing to with Sullivan... Sully is a great coach, but...
Off the top of my head:

Evan Rodrigues
Mikael Granlund
Sam Lafferty
Jared McCann
Nick Bjugstad (to a lesser extent but still)

And I'm sure a bunch more that have gone on to be much better players after leaving PIT under Sullivan. A common and troubling trend to say the least.
Yes, there are plenty that have left here from under Sully to perform better. Gaudreau, Sprong, Oleksiak, Sundqvist all come to mind as well.

Pretty good team that we let get away there.
Wyopen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Wyopen »

If these players are doing better with other teams, then it must be the system, right?
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Nope still the players. Haven't you heard? Sully's a great coach, but...

Don't worry, he's going to teach the best offensive defenseman of the last 20 years who's in his mid-30s how to actually play real hockey. Those guys who somehow produce before coming here and then produced again after leaving, or those players that merited a shot at the NHL but just left the organization because they couldn't no matter what they did, or all those players who need to completely redefine their game from what they've been their whole lives, it's all their fault. If Phil hadn't been such a high dollar asset that even Sullivan couldn't not play him, he would have chased him out of town after giving him no ice time and lamenting that he couldn't just learn to play a complete Sullivan game. You know Sully's a great coach, but...