Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Car thread

Post by mac5155 »

It will look like chocolate milk. I would advise doing a full change to be safe.

Let it get up to operating temperature and run for a while while you investigate the leak. I had a small pin hole crack on the side of the radiator on my Jeep Liberty one time. $4 bucks of JB Weld sealed it up. Hope that is the case for you, and not the head gasket!
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

Anyone here own or have owned an Elantra? I'm looking for used (between 2009-2013), under 40k miles for less than 13,000 or so and I swear they're about the only thing in that price area that's available. I saw a 2010 and a 2013 but I read the reviews on http://www.carcomplaint.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the 2013's got problems through the roof.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ajh2298 »

cma3585 wrote:Anyone here own or have owned an Elantra? I'm looking for used (between 2009-2013), under 40k miles for less than 13,000 or so and I swear they're about the only thing in that price area that's available. I saw a 2010 and a 2013 but I read the reviews on http://www.carcomplaint.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the 2013's got problems through the roof.
I had a 2001 if that helps. Had it for almost 10 years over 100,000 miles with no major mechanical problems. Only problem was the body was built like a tin can it seems like if you breathed on it wrong there would be a ding there.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

cma3585 wrote:Anyone here own or have owned an Elantra? I'm looking for used (between 2009-2013), under 40k miles for less than 13,000 or so and I swear they're about the only thing in that price area that's available. I saw a 2010 and a 2013 but I read the reviews on http://www.carcomplaint.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the 2013's got problems through the roof.
13K? My local VW dealer had five new (2014) manual Jettas recently going for 14K.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

Factorial wrote:
13K? My local VW dealer had five new (2014) manual Jettas recently going for 14K.
Market's pretty brutal (at least around here) for anything with semi-low mileage under 13k out the door.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Still driving my 2003 Elantra GT hatchback. I've been quite happy with it, and while it has gotten less reliable of late, it was pretty bulletproof for the first 10 years or so. I'm not planning on buying another, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the car. Hyundai decided to make the Tech Package for the 2015 Elantra GT available only with an automatic transmission, but (1) I don't buy automatics and (2) there are features in that package I consider mandatory for my next car.

I'm thinking of either the Kia Forte5 hatchback or the Mazda3 hatch for the next Shystermobile. I like the looks of the Mazda, and it gets great fuel economy, but every recent review I've read of the Mazda3 mentions that it has excessive (Consumer Reports used the word "profound") wind and road noise. Call me an old fart, but I'm at the point where I'm willing to trade sportiness for quiet.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

Yeah, a big complaint about the newer years of Hyundai is road noise.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Shyster wrote:Call me an old fart, but I'm at the point where I'm willing to trade sportiness for quiet.
But you still won't buy an automatic? Just go all in and embrace your inner old fart. Buicks may not be particularly sporty, but they are definitely quiet. And comfortable.
Last edited by Willie Kool on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Jeremy Clarkson to be sacked by the BBC
Jeremy Clarkson is to be sacked as Top Gear presenter after a BBC investigation concluded he did attack a producer on the programme.
Lord Hall, the Director General of the BBC, is expected to announce his decision on Wednesday after considering the findings of an internal investigation.

Clarkson, 54, will be thanked for his work on the hugely popular motoring show, but will be told such behaviour cannot be tolerated at the Corporation.

It is understood a report into the so-called ‘fracas’ at a North Yorkshire hotel, concluded that presenter spent 20 minutes verbally abusing producer Oisin Tymon, before launching a 30 second physical assault on him.
The 'Top Gear' fan in me is disheartened that it's going to end this way; but if he did physically assault a producer, there's little choice in the matter. No word on the fates of Hammond and May (or The Stig - whoever he may be), but the rumor according the story is that JC will be signing with Netflix to make many things.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Willie Kool wrote:
Shyster wrote:Call me an old fart, but I'm at the point where I'm willing to trade sportiness for quiet.
But you still won't buy an automatic? Just go all in and embrace your inner old fart. Buicks may not be particularly sporty, but they are definitely quiet. And comfortable.
You gotta draw the line somewhere, and I am a fervent supporter of Save the Manuals. Manual-transmission cars are driven. Automatics are steered.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

I love steering.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Shyster wrote:Manual-transmission cars are driven. Automatics are steered.
I certainly won't argue against that.

cma3585 wrote:I love steering.
:lol: :thumb:
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

My cummins is a 5 speed. If my jetta was a 5 speed, I'd shoot myself. I'm half asleep as it is going into work. I'd hate to be half asleep and have to worry about shifting
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

Ok, so I've never purchased a car on my own without my dad's help until now...how does this haggling method sound? It might sound great, or could be totally worthless, so I'm all ears. These two dealerships are right across the street from one another and aren't the same brand. The Dodge dealership which actually has the Elantra I want (2010) is in competition with the Hyundai dealer with the 2013 Elantra I don't want b/c evidently that year is terrible for Elantra's. 2010 has 28k miles on it. 2013 has 49k miles on it. Both are identical prices. Do I go to the Hyundai dealer first and claim I'm interested in the 2013 and ask what I can get it out the door for, then take that price over to the competing dealership and ask if they can match or beat it? Seems like common sense but, like I said, I've never done this before on my own.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

Also, FWIW, I'm already sold on the 2010 from the Dodge dealership b/c they offer a lifetime power train warranty. The ONLY popular problem I've read about the 2010 were some transmission issues. So if it screws up, I lose the car for a week maybe once or twice while I have it, and I'm seemingly good. So I'm pretty hellbent on that option.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

tifosi77 wrote:Jeremy Clarkson to be sacked by the BBC
Jeremy Clarkson is to be sacked as Top Gear presenter after a BBC investigation concluded he did attack a producer on the programme.
Lord Hall, the Director General of the BBC, is expected to announce his decision on Wednesday after considering the findings of an internal investigation.

Clarkson, 54, will be thanked for his work on the hugely popular motoring show, but will be told such behaviour cannot be tolerated at the Corporation.

It is understood a report into the so-called ‘fracas’ at a North Yorkshire hotel, concluded that presenter spent 20 minutes verbally abusing producer Oisin Tymon, before launching a 30 second physical assault on him.
The 'Top Gear' fan in me is disheartened that it's going to end this way; but if he did physically assault a producer, there's little choice in the matter. No word on the fates of Hammond and May (or The Stig - whoever he may be), but the rumor according the story is that JC will be signing with Netflix to make many things.
Honestly, I hope they continue it in some way, shape, or form. I watched the perfect Italian road trip 2-parter last night (the one they did last summer, after they got pulled over in France) and it got me thinking about how much I would miss it if Top Gear were to be no more.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

cma3585 wrote:Also, FWIW, I'm already sold on the 2010 from the Dodge dealership b/c they offer a lifetime power train warranty. The ONLY popular problem I've read about the 2010 were some transmission issues. So if it screws up, I lose the car for a week maybe once or twice while I have it, and I'm seemingly good. So I'm pretty hellbent on that option.
Go to the dodge dealer and tell them the price you want for the car. Leave if they don't offer it to you. Start lower than you want to pay so you can meet the salesman jn the middle. I bought my VW for 18,700. I wanted 18,500. It was listed at 21k, and I started at 17k. They came back with 19,500 before we finally haggle down to 18,700
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Also, I'm sure there are a bazillion Hyundai elantras around, so if you don't get that one I wouldn't fret unless you're super desperate to get into a new vehicle.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I deal with car dealers a little different than most. The last two vehicles I've bought, I've told the salesman he has one chance to give me his lowest possible price and if I don't like it, I'm walking out the door and he's not going to see me again. I do this because I hate to haggle and I think it has worked out very well for me.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

It's official: Jeremy Clarkson dropped from Top Gear, BBC confirms

:sad:

Interestingly, he hasn't actually been fired. They simply aren't renewing his contract. (I guess all three were due for renewals at the end of this season.) Seems a semantic thing, but it might be an important distinction in UK employment law. If the Netflix rumors are true, I wonder if this was a case of 'suicide-by-cop'; he reported the incident himself, after all.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Shyster wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:
You gotta draw the line somewhere, and I am a fervent supporter of Save the Manuals. Manual-transmission cars are driven. Automatics are steered.
Well then call me a steerist. 10 years in L.A. traffic, the last two in the hills between the Basin and the SFV, have definitely soured my enthusiasm for the manual transmission in a daily driver.
BuckintheLou
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BuckintheLou »

Call me a steerist as well. Not so much the traffic for me, it's the spittin' bakker juice in one can and drinkin' Mt Dew out of the other that keeps my hands tied up. Thankfully I'm old enough now that I don't get the two cans mixed up. That's just gross.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

tifosi77 wrote:Well then call me a steerist. 10 years in L.A. traffic, the last two in the hills between the Basin and the SFV, have definitely soured my enthusiasm for the manual transmission in a daily driver.
I think you know me well enough to know how I would solve that problem.
Spoiler:
Get the heck out of California.
Last edited by Shyster on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Believe it or not, Shyster, that's been on my mind a bit of late.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

BuckintheLou wrote:Call me a steerist as well. Not so much the traffic for me, it's the spittin' bakker juice in one can and drinkin' Mt Dew out of the other that keeps my hands tied up. Thankfully I'm old enough now that I don't get the two cans mixed up. That's just gross.
Oh come on. I ate a full meal of Wendy's the other night in my Cummins... and my cup holder is broken :pop: