Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Car thread

Post by Firebird »

Someone a few weeks ago suggested there should be a car thread....So I have something to start us off!

First warm day of spring today and figured I would change my oil! No problem.

Unfortunately, I think the mechanic that swapped out my alternator a few weeks ago took the engine oil dipstick head off!

http://s24.postimg.org/4cnbzhn2b/Camera ... 841417.jpg

So the dipstick is stuck in there because the top part is gone! Any ideas on how I could grab it? I pushed it further down, on accident, when I tried pushing nail into it.
Ad@m
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Car thread

Post by Ad@m »

Drop the oil pan?
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

Ad@m wrote:Drop the oil pan?
I changed the oil, but kind of annoying not to have a dipstick.

Would probably have to change it all over again if I took the pan off
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Is it magnetic? Getting a magnet wand and yanking it out would be the way to go if it were
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

your pic didn't load for me, have another?
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

The dipstick is metal, ofc, but the top on it is plastic.

Imagine this with the top bit broke off.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ajh2298 »

I have seen needle nose pliers that have really long and skinny arms on them. Would something like that work?

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/ ... PID=588122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

[youtube][/youtube]
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

2014 Camero Z/28

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/03/ ... -up-track/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

500hp, 470 torques. 7L V8.

Splitters are badass
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Brought this up a while ago in JTOR I think:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/exo ... irst_look/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why put all that horsepower (727 BHP), PLUS the electric boost motor (which adds an extra 176 BHP) and limit the car to only 217 MPH?

I realize people will probably never be in a situation where they'd travel that fast, but why not try to best the Veyron, or set a record for hybrid top speed?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Firebird wrote:The dipstick is metal, ofc, but the top on it is plastic.

Dial rod and some glue. Pull it out and replace the dipstick...

What I'd do: go back to the mechanic and ask him why he didn't tell you about it.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

mac5155 wrote:
Firebird wrote:The dipstick is metal, ofc, but the top on it is plastic.

Dial rod and some glue. Pull it out and replace the dipstick...

What I'd do: go back to the mechanic and ask him why he didn't tell you about it.
I'm sorry, what's a dialrod?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Anyone using a dash camera? After watching dozens and dozens of Russian dash-cam videos, I’d be interested in one for my own car. One certainly would come in handy for dealing with accidents and the like. But the cameras on the market all seem to be no-name imports of questionable quality. Does anyone have recommendations for a product that is as not-crap as possible?

(I really wish someone like Samsung would dive into this market.)
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Shyster wrote:Anyone using a dash camera? After watching dozens and dozens of Russian dash-cam videos, I’d be interested in one for my own car. One certainly would come in handy for dealing with accidents and the like. But the cameras on the market all seem to be no-name imports of questionable quality. Does anyone have recommendations for a product that is as not-crap as possible?
I would suggest something like the GoPro Hero3 or Sony Action Cam. Great day or night video in HD and much more versatile than a dedicated dashcam. Lots of vids of both being used as dashcams on youtube.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I'd say no to a go pro. Get a cheap camera that can run off a 12v cigarette lighter.

Firebird, a dial rod is a wooden rod..sold at craft stores.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I guess its spelled "dowel".. Haha my bad.
Pen48guins
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Pen48guins »

I really want to get a toyota supra.

preferably a 1992. Maybe in a year or so.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

mac5155 wrote:I'd say no to a go pro. Get a cheap camera that can run off a 12v cigarette lighter.
I'd actually agree on not getting the GoPro, as I prefer the Sony myself. I suggested those two because Shyster clearly said he was looking for a good brand name, not a cheap camera. And both can run off a 12v lighter with a usb adapter.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

The problem I’m having is that the quality cameras seem to lack two features that are necessary for a good dash cam: (1) they loop back over what has already been recorded when they fill up their onboard storage media; and (2) they turn on and start recording automatically when the power is turned on, and turn off when the car’s turned off. If I have to reach over, turn on the cam, and manually start recording each time I drive, I’m invariably going to forget to do it. Likewise, if the cam “fills up” and stops recording before something happens, it won’t be useful. It needs to record on a continuous loop. Do you know if either of those cameras have those two features?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I do not believe the GoPro has that capability. Also, if you want to run the gopro with a 12v wire, I think you'd have to buy "The Frame" mounting kit... my go pro mounts in a plastic shell case and has no wire holes.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Shyster wrote:The problem I’m having is that the quality cameras seem to lack two features that are necessary for a good dash cam: (1) they loop back over what has already been recorded when they fill up their onboard storage media; and (2) they turn on and start recording automatically when the power is turned on, and turn off when the car’s turned off. If I have to reach over, turn on the cam, and manually start recording each time I drive, I’m invariably going to forget to do it. Likewise, if the cam “fills up” and stops recording before something happens, it won’t be useful. It needs to record on a continuous loop. Do you know if either of those cameras have those two features?
I don't think either does. Probably the best available with those features is the Finevu CR-500HD. Blackboxmycar appears to be the only one with the English firmware and manual available, so I'd be wary if looking to buy anywhere else.

http://www.blackboxmycar.com/product.php?id_product=110
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

I'm a firm believer of "I have changed my oil, so I am capable of doing it, and i'm happy to have someone else do it".
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

MRandall25 wrote:Brought this up a while ago in JTOR I think:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/exo ... irst_look/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's a black MP4 that I've seen on the parkway going towards the airport at least twice. I'm assuming it's the same one since they're not exactly a common car. I saw it again this past weekend, and it went from being beside me at 75 to gone in about 10 seconds.

/CSB
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Idoit40fans wrote:I'm a firm believer of "I have changed my oil, so I am capable of doing it, and i'm happy to have someone else do it".
An oil filter and 8 qts of oil cost $37.. I can get it done at the dealer for $39.99 + tax. So, why not.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

I got new wheels and tires (read as: talked the wife into) for my birthday. just put them on. they are goodyear duratracs 33x12.5xR15
Spoiler:
not pictured: i plastidipped the badges, center caps, and front bumper to cover up the chrome/stainless bolts.