Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Car thread

Post by Hockeynut! »

tifosi77 wrote:I'm still on self-imposed lockdown, but I just wanted to pop in to say that Mrs Tif and I Ubered to her birthday dinner on Saturday in a Tesla Model S. I think I have her about 75% of the way convinced that we should get one when she pays off the loan on her CR-V.

*squeal*
Someone that owns a Tesla is driving for Uber? Wow. I'd love to ride in one, let alone own one.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

tifosi77 wrote:I'm still on self-imposed lockdown, but I just wanted to pop in to say that Mrs Tif and I Ubered to her birthday dinner on Saturday in a Tesla Model S. I think I have her about 75% of the way convinced that we should get one when she pays off the loan on her CR-V.

*squeal*
I'm thinking that either its possible to bank some very good coin as an Uber driver, or that driver has made some interesting choices in life.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Uber has a vehicle financing program to help drivers get wheels. (It's actually kind of a sketchy program, from what I've read; it's effectively subprime mortgages for cars that trap drivers in the cycle of having to continue working for Uber despite not making that much money.) More frequent at the higher end of the scale is that the car is owned by a limo company that rents the car out to a driver on an ad hoc basis in exchange for a split of the driver's revenue. It's also common at the higher end of the Uber scale (Black Car [where the Tesla was] and SUV) for more than one driver to go in on the vehicle purchase to defray costs, and then they alternate shifts during the week.

Uber claims drivers can make upwards of $90,000 a year; I'm sure that's theoretically possible, but the average seems to be about a couple hundred dollars a day, before expenses. Most Uber drivers could probably qualify for food stamps.

*back to my hole*
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Sammy Hagar was the best VH singer.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_ex_n_1?r ... 8230&ajr=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

30% Off Your Subscribe & Save Order
For a limited time, receive 30% off your Subscribe & Save order on select Chemical Guys Automotive Supplies.

1. Subscribe to a qualifying item.

2. Your 15% Subscribe & Save discount will be detailed in your Order Summary.

3. An additional 15% savings will also be listed in your Order Summary

Pretty good deal on some car care products and tax free (if you live in a pro-America state)

I picked up the following:
Chemical Guys SPI10916 Leather Cleaner and Conditioner Complete Leather Care Kit - 16 oz. (2 Items) ($15.42)
Chemical Guys MIC402 Waterproof 4-in-1 Microfiber Premium Wash Mitt ($6.93)
Chemical Guys CWS30116 Citrus Wash and Gloss Concentrated Car Wash - 16 oz. ($7.35)
Chemical Guys TVD11016 G6 Hyper Coat High Gloss Coating Protectant Dressing - 16 oz. ($8.37)
Chemical Guys MIC50612 Professional Grade Premium Microfiber Towels, Gold - 16 in. x 16 in. (Pack of 12) ($14.63)
Chemical Guys WAC3071 Black Luminous Glow Infusion - 8 oz. ($51.80)

Taking a risk on the wax, but at $52, not much of a risk. I used the 5050 in the past and wasn't too happy with it - hopefully this is better. I used the Zaino line for leather treatment previously (about to run out), but this had some good reviews and will be a lot cheaper. The microfibers seem like a very good deal and I'm hoping the sealant is quite glossy on my black car, will have to see.
Last edited by Firebird on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

columbia wrote:Sammy Hagar was the best VH singer.
LOL - trying to taunt tif into posting.

Everyone knows Gary Cherone was the best.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

I don't think it matters much for the suckitude they brought to the table. :pop:
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Willie Kool wrote:

we all know Wolfgang is the real talent.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

So I found a very good price on a Jeep im very very interested in, the only problem is....its bright lime green. Anyone have any clue how much it would cost to paint a Jeep Compass black?

Last edited by FreeCandy44 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

It's not cheap. Probably close to 4 or 5 grand I would imagine.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Haha....I dont think I can pull off a lime green Jeep.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Haha....I dont think I can pull off a lime green Jeep.
If it was a Wrangler you could.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

#Wrangler_98
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

So, my wife scraped her tire pulling into our driveway this evening. It went completely flat in under 20 minutes or so. I tried to change the tire but couldn't get the lug nuts to budge.

Should I call a tow truck in the morning, or should I attempt to inflate the tire and drive it a mile and a half to the repair shop? It's 30-45 mph roads between here and there.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

tifosi77 wrote:Uber has a vehicle financing program to help drivers get wheels. (It's actually kind of a sketchy program, from what I've read; it's effectively subprime mortgages for cars that trap drivers in the cycle of having to continue working for Uber despite not making that much money.) More frequent at the higher end of the scale is that the car is owned by a limo company that rents the car out to a driver on an ad hoc basis in exchange for a split of the driver's revenue. It's also common at the higher end of the Uber scale (Black Car [where the Tesla was] and SUV) for more than one driver to go in on the vehicle purchase to defray costs, and then they alternate shifts during the week.

Uber claims drivers can make upwards of $90,000 a year; I'm sure that's theoretically possible, but the average seems to be about a couple hundred dollars a day, before expenses. Most Uber drivers could probably qualify for food stamps.

*back to my hole*
i was reading an article somewhere about an uber driver who makes more the 225k annually somewhere in cali. he uses his car as a show room for his hand made jewelry and sells it to passengers
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:So, my wife scraped her tire pulling into our driveway this evening. It went completely flat in under 20 minutes or so. I tried to change the tire but couldn't get the lug nuts to budge.

Should I call a tow truck in the morning, or should I attempt to inflate the tire and drive it a mile and a half to the repair shop? It's 30-45 mph roads between here and there.
Do you have a 2-4 foot pipe you could use on the 4-way/lug wrench for leverage?

If there's a hole on the sidewall you're gonna have to buy a new tire anyway, so the latter isn't a horrible option.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

mac5155 wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:So, my wife scraped her tire pulling into our driveway this evening. It went completely flat in under 20 minutes or so. I tried to change the tire but couldn't get the lug nuts to budge.

Do you have a 2-4 foot pipe you could use on the 4-way/lug wrench for leverage?

If there's a hole on the sidewall you're gonna have to buy a new tire anyway, so the latter isn't a horrible option.
My wife didn't think our air compressor would pump enough air in the tire to keep it inflated very long. I wasn't home when it happened, but she said it deflated very quickly.

I managed to loosen 3 out of 5 lugs this morning, but ran out of time. My poor shredded knuckles. :lol:

We're lucky that we live so close to everything, so there's no real rush to get it fixed. She didn't want me to drive it underinflated, even that little amount of road. So I'll look for a pipe for leverage - great idea.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I used to work in a tire shop. Trust me, I've seen it all when it comes to wheels and tires :lol:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Sorry for the brief hijack, but there needs to be a reckoning.
FreeCandy44 wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:

we all know Wolfgang is the real talent.
You are all vile, and I bid upon thee torture by the searing gale of flatus issuing from the haunches of Asmoday.

That said, I am a huge Extreme fan, and was stoked when I heard Cherone got the VH gig. And I can still recall with great clarity standing at a listening station in the Virgin Megastore on Sunset when VHIII came out, listening to the new music....... and realizing that it was awful......... one of the saddest days of my life - and my mom had cancer.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

tifosi77 wrote:You are all vile...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSGkBWYDmrM[/youtube]
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Purchased a new to me 2008 Kia Sportage LX with 33k original miles on it today with no rust or damage. To say im happy to be rid of my piece of junk Saturn Ion is an understatement.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ajh2298 »

My car seems to be leaking antifreeze I have no puddles or anything under the car while parked overnight. I have checked everything that I could think of while the car is parked and running and I don't notice any spots under the hood where it could be leaking. I have squeezed both the upper and lower hoses while they have been under pressure and not leaks. I also get no antifreeze smell inside the vehicle while the heat is on and I am driving.

Any ideas on what it could be? I was down about 3/4 of a gallon in just under a month.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

If it's not leaking on the ground or leaking through the heater core, then the only other options I can think of are that it's going out the tailpipe or into the engine. A bad head gasket or even a cracked head or block would let small amounts of coolant into the cylinders. Also, does your oil look normal? A crack could be draining coolant into the crankcase.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

Do an oil change, look at the used oil. If it's milky, sell that thing to someone you don't like asap. As Shyster said, minimum a bad head gasket. Unless you know how to do it yourself, it's not a cheap fix.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ajh2298 »

Just checked the oil via the dipstick it looks, feels, and smells like oil and nothing else.