Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Car thread

Post by dodint »

I loved TG, but haven't watched it in a while. Too may segments about Fits and other econoboxes.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

This season has been pretty solid so far. For the first time ever, the whole world is getting the new episodes at the same time; previously when a new season would air, we wouldn't see the show for about 2-3 weeks.

They finally had the McLaren P1, the Ferrari the Ferrari, and the Porsche 918 in the studio at the same time........... but all three of the manufacturers refused to allow them to lap the circuit and put up their times. The McLaren was developed, in part, at the Dunsfold circuit, so their refusal was confounding. But Ferrari took the cake; they went so far as to say that if a customer allowed TG to borrow their Ferrari the Ferrari, that customer would be forever blacklisted and prevented from buying one of their limited edition cars ever again. Apparently some oil baron in Qatar or wherever owns an example of all three cars, and was willing to loan them all to TG so they could go on the Power Lap board. But the guy balked when he heard what Ferrari had said.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Anyone have a tire company loyalty they want to convince me of? I can't find a brand I really like.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Best tires I've ever had on my car were Michelin and Pirelli. Unfortunately, I don't think P makes tires in my car's size any longer.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

meow wrote:Anyone have a tire company loyalty they want to convince me of? I can't find a brand I really like.
Continental DWS for spring/summer/fall and Nokian Hakkapeliitta studded winter tires
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

meow wrote:Anyone have a tire company loyalty they want to convince me of? I can't find a brand I really like.
I think I would reject the idea of brand loyalty for tires. For example, looking at the tire surveys on tirerack.com, there are some categories where Bridgestone makes the best-scoring tire in one category (e.g., the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A in the Extreme Performance Summer category) and the worst-scoring tire in another (the Bridgestone Potenza RE92 in the High Performance All-Season category). Smaller brands like Kumho, Sumitomo, and General can make some tires that score better than the best-known brands like Bridgestone and Michelin. It looks to me like pretty much every tire company is capable of producing winners and losers.

Even when buying locally, I like to use sites like Tire Rack to research tires beforehand and then make a selection based on my own personal intersection of price and score.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I have Yokohama's on the Tifmobile right now and I'm convinced they are the worst tires in the history of the world. I'd get better traction if the car had bouncy balls at the corners.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Pirelli for me, but that said I'm running BFG's because they're similar to the tire the spec series runs.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

Pilot Super Sports for Spring Summer Fall and Blizzaks for winter
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Yeah, I can't say enough about the Blizzaks. Awesome value for the utility that you get. Very happy.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Not sure how close you are to scottdale or connellsville pa but my uncle owns shops in both locations. Mongell tire. They have a website and will quote you a price. Keep in mind, his price is the price plus tax and disposal. Other places will give you the price of the tire only, then add on mounting, spin balancing, and all that stuff separately. Just something to keep in mind when shopping around

That said I'm a Firestone Bridgestone guy. I have Firestone precision touring on my VW and Firestone wide oval indy on my accord.

Bridgestone are more expensive but generally a better tire. Potenza is my tire of choice if I'm going Bridgestone. I generally buy whatever has the best rebate, but I get them at cost for the most part (basically free mounting and balancing)
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I have a 2008 Honda Odyssey that we bought new back almost seven years ago.

Other than the many recalls, new brakes, tires, and motor mounts, we really haven't had any issues with it. It has 85K miles on it now, and we're starting to get into some bigger repair and maintenance costs.

They chew through batteries, because of the two sliding doors. Both of my doors are fine, but the driver's side doesn't always close fully when it's damp or raining out. Probably 1 out of 5 closures when raining. I usually have to hit the button an extra time to close it. But a friend at work had a 2008 Odyssey and both doors went out nearly simultaneously. He ended up trading it for a 2013 Odyssey instead of repairing it. I have a feeling his spazzy kid jumped on the support arms and bent both doors, but don't tell him I said that. :lol:
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I really don't think there's a better vehicle on the earth than a Honda which was well maintained. I have 220k on my v6 accord and it shows absolutely no signs of slowing down ever.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

mac5155 wrote:Not sure how close you are to scottdale or connellsville pa but my uncle owns shops in both locations. Mongell tire. They have a website and will quote you a price. Keep in mind, his price is the price plus tax and disposal. Other places will give you the price of the tire only, then add on mounting, spin balancing, and all that stuff separately. Just something to keep in mind when shopping around

That said I'm a Firestone Bridgestone guy. I have Firestone precision touring on my VW and Firestone wide oval indy on my accord.

Bridgestone are more expensive but generally a better tire. Potenza is my tire of choice if I'm going Bridgestone. I generally buy whatever has the best rebate, but I get them at cost for the most part (basically free mounting and balancing)
That would be about an 8 hour round trip. The last set of Bridgestones I got were good, but wore a bit fast.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Haha, yeah, never mind then.

I got 40k miles out of my last set of Firestone wide oval Indys.I told my uncle I wanted more, and he suggested the precision tourings. Both were in the $80 range from him, so I'd imagine they'd be in the $95 for someone who is paying for mounting and balancing. These were 205/55/16s.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I'm looking at 255/55/18. The crummy part is that I always have to buy 4 since my car is AWD.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

It's not just this week's episode; the Beeb is canceling the remainder of the Top Gear season.

Jeremy Clarkson 'punch': Top Gear episodes to be dropped

An online petition to reinstate Clarkson already has 350,000 signatures.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Scratch that: Since the BBC story was last updated, the petition has jumped to 453,000 signatures.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

at first i thought 'the beeb' was justin bieber
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

meow wrote:I'm looking at 255/55/18. The crummy part is that I always have to buy 4 since my car is AWD.
technically, they should wear out evenly anyway.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

mac5155 wrote:
meow wrote:I'm looking at 255/55/18. The crummy part is that I always have to buy 4 since my car is AWD.
technically, they should wear out evenly anyway.
I keep them rotated to make sure they wear evenly. I was saying that I can't buy two new ones to throw on the front and run 3/32's in the back.
scb147
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by scb147 »

mac5155 wrote:I really don't think there's a better vehicle on the earth than a Honda which was well maintained. I have 220k on my v6 accord and it shows absolutely no signs of slowing down ever.
I got 267k on my 99 Civic before the salt from PA winters rusted it in too many critical places.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

i have sumitomos on now and they are quite nice for the price. road noise is a little over the top but you get what you pay for n at
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Anybody replace an egr valve? Feels like I should be able to do this myself
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:i have sumitomos on now and they are quite nice for the price. road noise is a little over the top but you get what you pay for n at
Are they runflats?

#bigtymerz