The Pro Wrestling Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: The Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Boy...that just kept on going.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

I turned it off, but its amazing if you have that long of a over run on a 3 HOUR show... unreal.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

That was a horrendously booked RAW. I can't ever remember a time when they had a legit concert in the middle of RAW. Those are usually PPV deals. It's like they didn't even want to try today. "We need time to kill. Let's bring in a rapper for 15 minutes."

Other than Heyman, that was weak. Did Brian and Ambrose get the jobber entrance?

They also had 3 matches in a row with practically the same superstars rotating in a span of 30 minutes. Crowd being dead the entire time. It was so bizarre.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

skullman80 wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:LOL Barret hasn't won a singles match since becoming the IC Champion. I'm sure Justin Labar thinks that's genius booking.
Just makes the belt weak and meaningless.
I disagree. It shows that there are a few solid, rather well matched players in the mix for the belt. It also shows that people want THAT belt.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

I like that they took a few people out of the Heavyweight Title picture and put them into the IC and US Title pictures. There was a time when the IC Title meant something and it hasn't for quite a long time. This spreads out the talent a bit. It is better to have people care about 3 titles than just 1. Now if they can just get the tag title situation on par then it will be like the old days.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Jim wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:LOL Barret hasn't won a singles match since becoming the IC Champion. I'm sure Justin Labar thinks that's genius booking.
I disagree. It shows that there are a few solid, rather well matched players in the mix for the belt. It also shows that people want THAT belt.
I'm not saying the champ can never lose a match, but Barrett has lost every match pretty much since he has won the title. THAT devalues the belt. The champ should be made to look strong, so when someone finally does get a victory over them that person gets a rub and the championship and it makes the belt look that much better. The IC title has been passed around by everyone and their mother the past year, it's almost a guarantee if you win that belt you will go on a losing streak soon there after.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

skullman80 wrote:
Jim wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
I'm not saying the champ can never lose a match, but Barrett has lost every match pretty much since he has won the title. THAT devalues the belt. The champ should be made to look strong, so when someone finally does get a victory over them that person gets a rub and the championship and it makes the belt look that much better. The IC title has been passed around by everyone and their mother the past year, it's almost a guarantee if you win that belt you will go on a losing streak soon there after.
The fact that they have so many people involved with the belt has at least brought it back a little. I have a feeling that Daniel Bryan is going to win it and that will set up some type of championship unification match...much like UW did back in the day.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

Unrelated to Raw, but what is this talk about Samoa Joe and WWE?
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Crankshaft wrote:Unrelated to Raw, but what is this talk about Samoa Joe and WWE?
he is in negotiations with WWE I believe. Not much else has been said.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Kovy27 wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
Jim wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
The fact that they have so many people involved with the belt has at least brought it back a little. I have a feeling that Daniel Bryan is going to win it and that will set up some type of championship unification match...much like UW did back in the day.

I like most of the guys that are in the IC picture. I just wish it was like it was before, the IC title was a stepping stone to the World championship. Now it's just there to give mid card guys something to do... and no one ever gets the rub form it they should to move up the card.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Crankshaft »

I wonder if they'll have him go to NXT or if he'll go to the main roster and play a bigger role.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Crankshaft wrote:I wonder if they'll have him go to NXT or if he'll go to the main roster and play a bigger role.
If they started Devitt(Finn Balor), Generico(Sami Zayn), Kenta(Itami), and Steen(Kevin owens) in NXT.. I'm sure that Joe would go to NxT as well. He'd be used better down there anyways. He could have good matches with alot of guys. NxT in general is better than anything on Raw and Smackdown most of the time.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Kovy27 wrote:I have a feeling that Daniel Bryan is going to win it and that will set up some type of championship unification match...much like UW did back in the day.
No, no unifications... keep three target level individual belts so that you can have multiple "meaningful" stories/plots going on. Everything does not need to be about the Heavyweight belt.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

If the kept the IC belt between Ambrose, BnB and Ziggly Puff it would've been fine, but adding R-Truth and Luke Harper was just a complete overbooking
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:If the kept the IC belt between Ambrose, BnB and Ziggly Puff it would've been fine, but adding R-Truth and Luke Harper was just a complete overbooking
Maybe some will move to the US title picture.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

not if Cena wins it

#respect

#loyalty

#burying other wrestlers
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

My favorite Cena move is when he removes his cap and rubs his head. Means he's stressed, and taking things real serious
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Mic skills hurt a lot of the guys. Barrett, Rusev, Cesaro, Rose, Axel, Fandango, Swagger, either Uso, Henry, Stardust, Titus, etc simply stay away from the mic... STAY AWAY...
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

That's why we need more mouthpieces like Heyman to help those guys. Some are beyond help, but Cesaro and heyman should have worked, but they booked Cesaro so bad it didn't matter what Heyman said to try to get him look like a threat.

The only way to get away with being sub standard on the mic with no manager is is you are 5* in the ring like Bret Hart or something.

I think alot of times though WWE sets up guys to fail, or at least doesn't give them the best chance to succeed.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

skullman80 wrote:That's why we need more mouthpieces like Heyman to help those guys. Some are beyond help, but Cesaro and heyman should have worked, but they booked Cesaro so bad it didn't matter what Heyman said to try to get him look like a threat.

The only way to get away with being sub standard on the mic with no manager is is you are 5* in the ring like Bret Hart or something.

I think alot of times though WWE sets up guys to fail, or at least doesn't give them the best chance to succeed.
Wwe killed Cesaro, bad music, what was his gimmick, he's a heel now? Heyman talks about Lesnar constantly. Yep that should have propelled Cesaro, great job WWE.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Yep dude had all the momentum in the world after WM last year and they decided to just say F it and screw everything up. Just baffling.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

I go back to it seems like they want people to be top stars or nothing. To be a star you must push for the heavyweight title!!! No. That is why I think that it would be/is a good idea to push the IC and US titles as being important. It isn't just heavyweight champ boxers or heavyweight champ UFC guys that are the stars. I do not meant to make the IC and US titles something like middle and light weight titles... but having everyone always push for the main title is just not good. It just gives the oppertnity to have 3 solid singles storylies going at the same time. With people moving around between the 3 title pictures you also avoid having the same guy fight the same guy week after week, month after month. Variety.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Jim wrote:I go back to it seems like they want people to be top stars or nothing. To be a star you must push for the heavyweight title!!! No. That is why I think that it would be/is a good idea to push the IC and US titles as being important. It isn't just heavyweight champ boxers or heavyweight champ UFC guys that are the stars. I do not meant to make the IC and US titles something like middle and light weight titles... but having everyone always push for the main title is just not good. It just gives the oppertnity to have 3 solid singles storylies going at the same time. With people moving around between the 3 title pictures you also avoid having the same guy fight the same guy week after week, month after month. Variety.
I agree with this 100%, but WWE doesn't seem to see it that way.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

During the big PPV for New Japan that Jim Ross announced, he took a jab at the current state of WWE's IC belt situation. Right before the match with their version of the IC title started, he mentioned how important their IC belt it to the company. JR then said something along the lines of "For any belt to not have meaning is really stupid." He said it better, but I can't remember his exact words.

During the match, he would periodically mention how hard the wrestlers are competing to win this prestigious title.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Its not even that the shows are bad. Its the NOTHING occurs. Nothing. And I'm just talking about the last handful of shows in Pittsburgh. Going back to I think 2010 I've gone to each televised event outside of last night, the last previous RAW and the Rumble. Even the Rumble, NOTHING happens. What the hell was with that segment of matches where it was like a tag match into a divas match into a tag match and it was all uninteresting jobbers. Even as great as Heyman's promo was its tainted because we had to sit through a video package of basically the entire Reigns interview we already saw from that night RAW was cancelled.