The Pro Wrestling Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

The Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by steve784 »

It starts tonight......TNA going head to head with WWE. Anyone actually think they'll become legitimate competition after this? They're coming at WWE with the TNA debut of Hogan, and the return (rumored) of people like Scott Hall, X-Pac, possibly Jeff Hardy, etc, etc. Personally it looks like it's going to be WCW v2 (and I don't mean when WCW was good), especially since most of their 'stars' are going to be north of 50 years old. On the other hand, WWE is countering tonight with Bret Hart being the guest host, which is making this the Raw that I've looked forward to the most probably since the late 90s when I was in middle school and wrestling was 'cool'.
Last edited by steve784 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Re: The new Monday night war...

Post by shafnutz05 »

I have been waiting for this for about a month now....I haven't regularly watched wrestling in about 7 years, and I might take this opportunity to try and get back into it.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by beerman »

this will give me something to watch while I pack

I try and get back into wrestling but it just isn't as good as it was when I was growing up, I miss those days.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

I won't even bother turning TNA on lol
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

SolidSnake wrote:I won't even bother turning TNA on lol
I'll probably give the first hour a shot since it starts at 8......then based on that decide if I want to DVR the rest of it or not.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Post by jaysmiter »

I honestly have no idea, considering like shaf, I haven't watched wrestling in a long, long time...BUT, having said that...

Competition is always good. I actually stopped watching wrestling when WCW folded because the WWF became bland and uninteresting. There was nothing for them to worry about, they had the market. Maybe this will be what brings me back?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

jaysmiter wrote:I honestly have no idea, considering like shaf, I haven't watched wrestling in a long, long time...BUT, having said that...

Competition is always good. I actually stopped watching wrestling when WCW folded because the WWF became bland and uninteresting. There was nothing for them to worry about, they had the market. Maybe this will be what brings me back?
Lack of competition makes for a lousy product.............hopefully this changes!
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

So TNA is 8-11 tonight?
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

SolidSnake wrote:So TNA is 8-11 tonight?
Yep
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

I'll turn it on during commercials and maybe watch the first hour of TNA since there is no Monday Night Football and no Pens game.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

steve784 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:So TNA is 8-11 tonight?
Yep

Ok thanks. I just read that Jason Hervey will be backstage at TNA isn't Jason Hervey "Wayne" off the Wonder Years? lol
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

That is Wayne from the Wonder Years. From what I remember reading, he's a good friend of Eric Bischoff and both of them were involved in a few businesses together.

straight rip from wiki
Public relations

Jason Hervey served as the Senior Vice-President of Media and Communications for HealthSouth Corporation, based in Birmingham, Alabama. Hervey relocated to Birmingham to assume the post. He worked for the company from late 2001 until late 2003, during events that would lead to a massive fraud scandal. He later sued his employer, demanding $300,000 in compensation.[1][2]
[edit] Producing

After a guest appearance on World Championship Wrestling television during his tenure on The Wonder Years, Hervey obtained a backstage position as an executive producer for WCW, which he held until the company's demise in 2001. During this time, he became friends with then-WCW Vice President Eric Bischoff, with whom he formed Bischoff/Hervey Productions. Their company has produced several sports and reality television shows, including I Want to Be a Hilton, Scott Baio Is 45...and Single, and "Hulk Hogan's Celebrity Championship Wrestling", alongside Hogan.

Hervey is credited in "The Eddie Guerrero Story: Cheating Death, Stealing life" with coming up with the idea for the "Latino World Order" (LWO).
[edit] Reality shows

Hervey appeared in an episode of Hogan Knows Best alongside Eric Bischoff, talking about energy drinks, and in several episodes of Scott Baio Is 45...and Single. In 2002 he made a brief appearance on the VH1 special I Love the '80s. Along with Baio, he co-hosts VH1's Confessions of a Teen Idol, a reality show in which former teen idols attempt to revitalize their entertainment careers.[3]
Last edited by JS© on Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

JS© wrote:That is Wayne from the Wonder Years. From what I remember reading, he's a good friend of Eric Bischoff and both of them were involved in a few businesses together.

lol wow never knew that he must be one of the writers? I assume he was prob in the WWE at some point.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

SolidSnake wrote:
JS© wrote:That is Wayne from the Wonder Years. From what I remember reading, he's a good friend of Eric Bischoff and both of them were involved in a few businesses together.

lol wow never knew that he must be one of the writers? I assume he was prob in the WWE at some point.
Maybe they'll have Fred Savage show up too and they can have a match with a run-in from Winnie Cooper.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

steve784 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:

Maybe they'll have Fred Savage show up too and they can have a match with a run-in from Winnie Cooper.
haha yea Paul will show up as Marilyn Manson hit Fred with a chair and the heel turn will be complete.
PensFanBryan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensFanBryan »

I havent really invested too much time in watching wrestling over the last few years. I catch RAW once in a while, but i dont watch it religously. On the other hand, TNA just isnt good enough to watch religously. Ive seen a few matches here and there, but TNA just seems boring to me. I like the 6 sided ring though.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

I miss stuff like this... feuds that actually meant something....can't believe it's been almost 10 years since this match. WWF/E couldn't put a feud like this together now if they tried. That being said I don't think TNA will even make a blip on the radar.. which sucks because competitions would be a good thing. I'm looking more forward to Bret Hart tonight to be honest.

[youtube][/youtube]
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

That's about where I am with wrestling. I have a passing interest in it, more often passing by it than not. These days, I think I watch 10-15 minutes of it. WWE is still trotting out the old ghosts of rasslin' past (HBK, HHH, Taker, Kane, Giant, Jericho) and repeated matches that we don't want to see again (Cena v Orton again?). I'm sure WWE has the talent to put on a good show, but it seems like they don't know what to do with it.

I'm probably a bit hypocritical for complaining about running out the old men but will be locked in when Bret Hart is on. He might be in his late 40s/early 50s by now and I doubt he's in wrestling shape, but I'm wondering two things: what kind of leash Vince will have on him regarding the biggest screwjob of all time and is this a one time thing or will Bret hang around the WWE for a few months/years?
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

JS© wrote:That's about where I am with wrestling. I have a passing interest in it, more often passing by it than not. These days, I think I watch 10-15 minutes of it. WWE is still trotting out the old ghosts of rasslin' past (HBK, HHH, Taker, Kane, Giant, Jericho) and repeated matches that we don't want to see again (Cena v Orton again?). I'm sure WWE has the talent to put on a good show, but it seems like they don't know what to do with it.

I'm probably a bit hypocritical for complaining about running out the old men but will be locked in when Bret Hart is on. He might be in his late 40s/early 50s by now and I doubt he's in wrestling shape, but I'm wondering two things: what kind of leash Vince will have on him regarding the biggest screwjob of all time and is this a one time thing or will Bret hang around the WWE for a few months/years?
I don't think Bret can even take a bump, I swear he had a stroke from a bicycle accident or something...
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Yeah, that's true. I remember hearing that he had a stroke shortly after he retired or was released.

Watching TNA right now and so far, thumbs down. The red cage has to be the most distracting color for a cage, especially when viewing from outside. The camera angles seem to be poor at best, switching away from the wrestlers right as the bump happens....and here comes one of the Hardys.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Something about Mike Tenay just screams cheesy. Getting rid of him would be a major upgrade. Him and Michael Cole on RAW drive me nuts.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

is it bad i read the title of the thread and thought it was a new wars game sign-up thread?
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

That was an awful first match for TNA.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kicksave »

I'm flipping back and forth between NCIS reruns and TNA.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kicksave »

Ol Dirty Bastard?