Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Car thread

Post by columbia »

Any recommendations on those air pumps, which will shut off at a specified psi?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Ask Tombrady.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

thatsthejoke.bmp
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Weird, weird ghost situation in my van.

About a week or ten days ago, the map light went out in our van. Passenger side. I was considering buying a LED set to replace the 6 or so bulbs in the car, but hadn't ordered the bulbs yet. I walk out in the garage this morning and there was a light on in the van. I figured the kids left something on from the ride home yesterday, and I just missed it. Nope. The map light - previously dead-for-ten-days light - was back on and working normally.

Bad wiring? Loose bulb? It's one of those overhead lights that you have to press on/off and they also act as dome lights when a door is opened. Just weird and freaky.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Maybe the contacts on the bulb is old and slightly corroded. You hit it a couple of times to see if it was the switch and left it in the on position and then the bulb shifted or whatever and now it's back on. The E46 BMW license plate lights have the same issue, though they're exterior lights so they're more likely to be affected humidity.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pens9192 »

Last January and I bought a used 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L with 75,000 miles from a local reputable dealer. It was a clean title in good condition and one owner (that I happened to know) used as a personal vehicle. I had it checked out by mechanic before buying it and he gave it a clean bill of health and also passed state inspection at time of purchase.

Here are the issues I have had over the past year, usually something new would happen every other month. I have put 10,000 miles on it.

- Both sideview mirrors were unable to move one direction.
- Issues with both sliding doors staying shut
- Ody died suddenly on a rural road in May. Needed a new alternator
- Power steering pump and hose leak
- Cam seal leak
- VTEC valve leak (This was leaking oil on to the alternator and caused the Ody to die again last month, this time 200 miles away from home and with my three small kids in the car. A new alternator needed installed. Luckily the manufacturer of the alternator from May covered this under warranty.)

All of those issues above have been corrected, but those plus the recall fixes make it seem like the Ody is always in the garage. At this point, it seems like I am waiting for another shoe to drop and another bix fix coming.

I understand that buying a used car can be risky, but I have bought three other used Honda's (1990 Accord, 1994 Accord, and 2003 Accord) in my life and never had this many issues with them. The 1990 and 1994 Accords had over 200K miles when I sold them and the 2003 Accord has about 150K miles. This is my first Odyssey though and I did my research before buying and it had really good reviews. Combined with that and my previous good experience with used Honda's and my test drives and it seemed like a no brainer decision. it seems like this Ody has turned into a money pit. The Ody is mainly driven by my wife and she is not too happy at all this work. I had to convince her to get this so she has not been too happy with me of course. I have explained to her that this can happen with a used car but it doesn't help her
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Thoughts on the 2008 Nissan Rogue and its cvt transmission?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

columbia wrote:Any recommendations on those air pumps, which will shut off at a specified psi?
Not sure if serious, but if you want a recommendation for an air pump, I have a Viair 00073 portable compressor. It doesn't shut off at a specified psi, but it also fills fast enough that you aren't waiting for long at all. This thing is much more robust than a Craftsman compressor I had before. I think there's been a newer model since I bought mine. If you buy, pay attention to the instruction that says the engine must be running. If it's not, this pump can blow the fuse for the cigarette lighter.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

pens9192 wrote:Last January and I bought a used 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L with 75,000 miles from a local reputable dealer. It was a clean title in good condition and one owner (that I happened to know) used as a personal vehicle. I had it checked out by mechanic before buying it and he gave it a clean bill of health and also passed state inspection at time of purchase.

Here are the issues I have had over the past year, usually something new would happen every other month. I have put 10,000 miles on it.

- Cam seal leak
- VTEC valve leak (This was leaking oil on to the alternator and caused the Ody to die again last month, this time 200 miles away from home and with my three small kids in the car. A new alternator needed installed. Luckily the manufacturer of the alternator from May covered this under warranty.)

All of those issues above have been corrected, but those plus the recall fixes make it seem like the Ody is always in the garage. At this point, it seems like I am waiting for another shoe to drop and another bix fix coming.

I understand that buying a used car can be risky, but I have bought three other used Honda's (1990 Accord, 1994 Accord, and 2003 Accord) in my life and never had this many issues with them. The 1990 and 1994 Accords had over 200K miles when I sold them and the 2003 Accord has about 150K miles. This is my first Odyssey though and I did my research before buying and it had really good reviews. Combined with that and my previous good experience with used Honda's and my test drives and it seemed like a no brainer decision. it seems like this Ody has turned into a money pit. The Ody is mainly driven by my wife and she is not too happy at all this work. I had to convince her to get this so she has not been too happy with me of course. I have explained to her that this can happen with a used car but it doesn't help her
3.0 V6? Dump that SOB before the tranny goes out.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Thoughts on the 2008 Nissan Rogue and its cvt transmission?
CVT transmissions are basically in everything now. Helps fuel economy
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Thoughts on the 2008 Nissan Rogue and its cvt transmission?
My wife just traded hers in a few months ago. It was a good, reliable vehicle, if a little underpowered. Never a problem with the transmission, or any major mechanical issues, really.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Im on my second straight car with a cvt and i still havent got used to the feeling of it not changing gears.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

Idoit40fans wrote:Im on my second straight car with a cvt and i still havent got used to the feeling of it not changing gears.
You're not kidding. My stepmom has a car with a CVT. So weird...
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

pens9192 wrote:Last January and I bought a used 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L with 75,000 miles from a local reputable dealer. It was a clean title in good condition and one owner (that I happened to know) used as a personal vehicle. I had it checked out by mechanic before buying it and he gave it a clean bill of health and also passed state inspection at time of purchase.

- Cam seal leak

That's awful :/

I think the lesson to be learned is to never expect much if you're buying a car with over 55k on the odo.

Most likely it wasn't cared for originally but it held up to around 75k. Used cars are tricky - I'm going to go stereotypical though here and assume most minivan owners have no idea how to care for their cars (makes it more risky to buy a high mileage used one). Although most of your issues don't point to abuse (except for the doors and mirrors), I'd still be nervous
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Ok....thank you guys for explaining the cvt.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Bioshock wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Im on my second straight car with a cvt and i still havent got used to the feeling of it not changing gears.
You're not kidding. My stepmom has a car with a CVT. So weird...
try driving a VW with a DSG tranny. Soo smooth
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

Car has been successfully negotiated! They'll call me when it comes in and now all there's left to do is the necessary paperwork.

So excited!
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Congrats. Perfect time of year, too. Get to enjoy it for three seasons before the snow comes again.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

mac likes smooth trannies?
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

I know! First time I've ever had a brand new car in my life. Last one was 36,000 miles when i bought it
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

columbia wrote:mac likes smooth trannies?
No doubt
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Congrats Bio...im going to look at some local SUVs tomorrow myself.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Bioshock wrote:I know! First time I've ever had a brand new car in my life. Last one was 36,000 miles when i bought it
Congrats, Bio. That'll be a fun one to have for the first new car. Enjoy that feeling!
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

Very nice, Free. Thanks for the encouragement guys!
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Seems more appropriate here than in the TV thread.............

Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear host, suspended by BBC after 'fracas'
The corporation said the 54-year-old presenter had been suspended "pending an investigation".

"No one else has been suspended. Top Gear will not be broadcast this Sunday," it said.

Clarkson was given what he called his "final warning" last May after claims he used a racist word while filming the popular BBC motoring show.
At the time, he said the BBC had told him he would be sacked if he made "one more offensive remark, anywhere, at any time".