Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Car thread

Post by mac5155 »

I'm leery of any "SUV" that is built on a car platform.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Anyone have any thoughts about or drive/own a Jeep Compass Sport circa 2009-2013? This particular suv is in the running to be the new fc mobile.
You can do better. /coming from a Jeep owner.

I've found that Jeep has just made those vehicles to be in the specific market, and don't create any kind of quality or convenience. You're also paying for the name brand on the vehicle as well. That's purely my opinion.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

The PT Cruiser was classed as a truck by the NHTSA. *snicker*
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

[youtube][/youtube]

Watch as men fall in love within 20 seconds and then get punked.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Probably going to end up driving a GMC Acadia home on Saturday. Definitely moving into a stratosphere of car payments with this one. :gulp:
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Kraftster wrote:Probably going to end up driving a GMC Acadia home on Saturday. Definitely moving into a stratosphere of car payments with this one. :gulp:
I'm trying to talk mrs. meow into getting one of these. Let me know what you think.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

meow wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Probably going to end up driving a GMC Acadia home on Saturday. Definitely moving into a stratosphere of car payments with this one. :gulp:
I'm trying to talk mrs. meow into getting one of these. Let me know what you think.
Will do. We looked at all of the 7 passenger vehicles at the car show last weekend, and we came away thoroughly impressed with the Acadia, especially the Denali. It moved ahead of the Enclave after the car show, plus, GMC is offering 0% on the 2015 Acadias right now.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Kraftster wrote:
meow wrote:
Will do. We looked at all of the 7 passenger vehicles at the car show last weekend, and we came away thoroughly impressed with the Acadia, especially the Denali. It moved ahead of the Enclave after the car show, plus, GMC is offering 0% on the 2015 Acadias right now.
Nice. I was trying to convince her to get a MDX, but she doesn't like the idea of both of us having the same make and model. She likes the Acadia, but it hesitant to take the plunge.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

how do you like the MDX? we are looking at the RDX. or the q3 from audi or terrain AWD denali
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

or the GMC canyon. the other trucks are schway too big. cant handle that much vehicle
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I usually scoff at people that say they have brand loyalty. I'll never drive something other than an Acura. Not one complaint about the MDX.

Edit: One complaint. The seat /telescope wheel memory doesn't always work properly.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

About to pull the trigger on a new Honda Civic Si. He's the style and color I'm buying:

I went in this past weekend and told them I was just doing groundwork on my future purchase as I'm saving 5,000 dollars for a down payment. I told the salesman that i had 1500 dollars saved and unless they had a deal that could bridge the gap between the 1,500 and 5,000 I'm aiming to save, then I'd see them in July. The salesman makes a quick phone call to whomever and says he'll lop off 2,100 dollars of the sale price. That bridges the gap from 1500 to 3600 dollars of my aimed 5,000.

I plan to go back this saturday and if they give me what i want on my trade in we'll have a deal. I have a 2005 scion tC that's in great condition and according to KBB, it should be worth around 5K on a trade in. A little less for worse condition, a little more for excellent condition.

If they don't give me what i want, then I'll see them in July. Here's hoping!
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Good luck, I've never purchased a car that new.

I had no idea you were a Bengals fan. ;)
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

dodint wrote:Good luck, I've never purchased a car that new.

I had no idea you were a Bengals fan. ;)
Haha, thanks. I hope all works out and they give me what i want. If they don't then I'll just keep driving the car i have now. It's not like it's in bad shape or anything
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

That's pretty sweet, Bio. Hope you get it this weekend.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

What is it with the "flat faced" wheels now a days? I dunno. They don't do it for me.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

Just bought a car.... it was nice to have a salesman deal with just two numbers. The price of the new car, the price of my trade in.

Nothing on taxes, financing, anything until those two numbers were agreed on. Talking about "what are you looking to pay per month" is a pet peeve that belongs in that other thread.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

Also - if you are looking at cars and want some negotiating prices - go into TrueCar and run the car model and trim you are looking at. Some dealers in the area offer a certified price you can print out there. If that's lower than your local dealership - you can always use price to help negotiate the price down. In my case I was able to use a Kenny Ross price at a Greensburg dealership... doing it at the end of the month really does help as well.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Bioshock wrote:About to pull the trigger on a new Honda Civic Si. He's the style and color I'm buying:
Spoiler:
That car is right on the limit of useful power output. Once you go too far north of about 180-190 in a front drive car, all you're doing is turning the engine into a machine that converts gasoline into noise and understeer.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

this might be one for the credit or homebuying thread, but here goes:

I owe a few thousand on my car. I could probably sell it now and pocket around $2,000.

With that in mind, and my aspirations to get a mortgage pre-approval within 6 weeks, do I:

a) keep the car

b) sell the car, hope that helps my credit rating enough to bump me to the best interest rates (I'm like 760), and use the leftover cash for more of a down payment, and then lease a less awesome car (such as a Chevy Spark) a month or two after closing.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

I'd go with the option that doesn't end with you driving a chevy spark.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Keep the car. It's currently an open line of credit which (presumably) has a good payment history. Selling might actually ding your credit rating a bit, but at 760 it probably won't hurt your mortgage prospects too much. Still, every bit helps.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

If it's installment credit the history will be there either way, and it's not really "open" in a revolving sense. Wouldn't paying it off be better since his monthly payments will decrease?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

I sort of assumed that the monthly payment part of it would have more to do with how much they will lend me, not the interest rate as much.

Though I could be wrong. But I want to factor several hundred dollars a month into my own personal budget for a car payment regardless of whether I have one on closing day.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Interest rate has a bigger influence on your monthly nut than does the total loan amount. For example, at $165k/5.5% the montly pymt is $936. Drop the interest one full point to 4.5% and for the same monthly pymt you can finance $20k more.

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/mor ... lator.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, I'm looking at this in terms of credit cards. Mortgage priorities are probably much different. Considering the dollar amounts, I would imagine debt-to-income is more important than credit history. Maybe I ignore what I said earlier. :lol: