Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Let's talk about music

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Stormtroopers of Death > Anthrax
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Stormtroopers of Death > Anthrax
If you like mindless crossover thrash, sure.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

shafnutz05 wrote:This is such an incredible song:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spaPETdoRVM[/youtube]

Absolutely love it.
As with most old country songs, I fell in love with this song as a kid because of the Grateful Dead's live version.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03RRHaMbOX4[/youtube]
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

cma3585 wrote:
JS© wrote:
columbia wrote:Speaking of Gooski's. I'd love to hear a review of that place from the poster who was going there for the first time. :lol:
http://thegreatpittsburghpubcrawl.blogs ... oskis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've seen just about all of that at the 31st St Pub for a show and I loved it. The bathrooms were the worst thing ever. Glad I'm a dude who doesn't have to touch anything. Usually the smaller/**** a bar is, the better a show is in my experience. So I'm hoping there's 15 people there for the band and I'll get a prime spot to watch them without any interruptions from others.
I don't know. Gooski's bathrooms are rather foul. The hover suggestion in the TGPPC link is even a bit brave.

But I'd agree about the smaller/**** the venue, the better the show.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

oh and Re: best Metallica album. Master of Puppets easily. Not just their best album, not just one of the best Metal albums, but one of the best albums ever in any genre. Musical perfection.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Mango Salsa wrote:Saw Anthrax mentioned above...back in the day Id sometimes get to run the scoreboard at my sons hockey games. The rink had a bangin' sound system and Id play Belly of the Beast to 'welcome' the opponent.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUf8Ho60Zjg[/youtube]
Mrs Tif rather fancies Frankie Bello. So while I love Anthrax, I'm kind of in a pickle.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

cma3585 wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:Stormtroopers of Death > Anthrax
If you like mindless crossover thrash, sure.
Yes....yes I do.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

skullman80 wrote:oh and Re: best Metallica album. Master of Puppets easily. Not just their best album, not just one of the best Metal albums, but one of the best albums ever in any genre. Musical perfection.
Word
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I differ from a lot of Metallica fans in that I don't love MoP. It is good, don't get me wrong. The title track is a true metal classic. As a whole though, I've never really dug it as much as their other early work. Not sure why tbh.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

I think I prefer Ride the Lightning to MoP

though, to be fair, I don't like judging albums. Albums are just kind of arbitrary sets of songs. I mean, they released four (awesome) albums in a span of 5 years (Kill Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and And Justice For all). the cutoff for which songs were on which album is only a few months.

I think judging albums is really only ok when there's a huge shift stylistically. In this case it's pre-Black Album and post-Black album and then St. Awful

and anyone that says pre < post is an idiot

also, being that the good Metallica came out before I was born, instead of listening to the music album by album I listen to it just as a whole discography (sans the bad stuff)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I actually really like the Black Album, although I get sick of some of the more popular songs from time to time due to over saturation. I'd never say it was better than its predecessors of course. I kinda wish they had edited themselves with Load/Reload... There are some good tunes in there but definitely filler. And I prefer to pretend St Anger doesn't exist. Death Magnetic was a pretty nice return though.

If I had to pick a favorite... mine is probably Ride The Lightning.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I go back and forth between Master Of Puppets and Ride. Favorite song is 'For Whom The Bell Tolls', so that tends to skew.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

S Club 7, forgot all about them until ISIS in bucos cap article brought it up, remember them?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:What's the best Megadeth song?

I think I got Peace Sells
I like Black Friday a lot, but to be honest I like anything off the first record better than whatever they did afterwards. Something like Rattlehead or Killing Is My Business or Chosen Ones or Skull Beneath The Skin or just anything off that furious first one. They became too calculated/straight-forward for me after that, but still did have really good albums, especially with Marty. But just like with Metallica, I lost interest in the band before the 80's were up.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

I'm preferable to Justice, only because that was my gateway to Metallica.

That doesn't take anything from Lightning, the Garage albums, and especially Puppets (which is a very close 2nd.)

Surprisingly (or maybe not), one of my favorite Metallica songs wasn't written by Metallica.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6bukofGEnk[/youtube]
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

JS© wrote:I'm preferable to Justice, only because that was my gateway to Metallica.

That doesn't take anything from Lightning, the Garage albums, and especially Puppets (which is a very close 2nd.)

Surprisingly (or maybe not), one of my favorite Metallica songs wasn't written by Metallica.
The Garage material was excellent. I think Metallica is the best band in metal to cover others' songs.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

Sarcastic wrote:
JS© wrote:I'm preferable to Justice, only because that was my gateway to Metallica.

The Garage material was excellent. I think Metallica is the best band in metal to cover others' songs.
Dream Theater and Machine Head are also bands that tend to absolutely nail the material they choose to cover.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Machine Head's cover of Metallica's Battery is friggin amazing. They do it justice. Sounds so heavy and hard hitting.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlRUWLGKOow[/youtube]
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

cma3585 wrote:Dream Theater and Machine Head are also bands that tend to absolutely nail the material they choose to cover.
Doesn't Dream Theater frequently do shows where they cover an entire album? (For some reason Iron Maiden is sticking in my head over this)
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

I'm pretty sure Dream Theater covered the entire Master of Puppets album live once.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Sarcastic wrote:

Priest had some great covers
Last edited by Willie Kool on Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

iirc, DT covered The Number of the Beast (album).

DT is a band that I have immense respect for their talent, but I generally don't care for their songs. There are exceptions... Pull Me Under, Panic Attack to name two... both awesome songs.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

"The Wait" is my fav cover by Metal Lica. I will say I also partial to Jason singing Whiplash and Seek & Destroy. I miss Jason...
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

tifosi77 wrote:
cma3585 wrote:Dream Theater and Machine Head are also bands that tend to absolutely nail the material they choose to cover.
Doesn't Dream Theater frequently do shows where they cover an entire album? (For some reason Iron Maiden is sticking in my head over this)
Not frequently but they've been released as bootlegs. They've done MOP, Number of the Beast, and Dark Side Of The Moon. Which really shows you just how far across the rock spectrum they can go.