Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Bring Back KC

Let's talk about music

Post by Bring Back KC »

What have you been listening to lately?
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by FallenHero96 »

Alter Bridge and Smashing Pumpkins...... have also seem to have been listening to alot of Veruca Salt lately as well...
Bring Back KC

Post by Bring Back KC »

I was just talking about Smashing Pumpkins the other day. I really think they're probably the *best* band of the last 20 years or so. Even when their popularity declined, I still liked the music they made. Siamese Dream was awesome, but Adore was awesome in a different way.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

I recently got Sirius hooked up and it's all about Backspin (43). 80s and early 90s hip hop, boyeee! :)

Also, while not really music, I just listened to both of Mitch Hedberg's CDs along with Ron White's new one "You Can't Fix Stupid."
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

I watched a kick-arse version of Austin City Limits with My Morning Jacket featured. Went out and bought their entire collection. I'm really diggin' their stuff right now.

Kind of a mix between Allman Brothers, Greatful Dead, Pink Floyd, and Coldplay. Very spacey, psychadelic, jam-based music, with a lot of guitar-stompin riffs mixed in.

Different, and I like 'em.
MrKnowNothing

Post by MrKnowNothing »

My Morning Jacket is awesome.

They are probably my second favorite current band to Wilco.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by FallenHero96 »

Smashing Pumpkins is my favorite band.... I like the simese dream stuff alot, and I think the Mellon Collie tracks were genius. Everything after that is still really good, but not as great as those two.
MrKnowNothing

Post by MrKnowNothing »

I've been listening to this awesome bluesy song by the Yardbirds lately called New York City Blues.

Also, a lot of Dylan thanks to a giftset my friend got me at Christmas.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Tool and Pearl Jam do with their new albums this Spring.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

MrKnowNothing wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing what Tool and Pearl Jam do with their new albums this Spring.
Same here on the Pearl Jam. And I'm hoping for a supporting US tour.

I'm also listening to a lot of Kings of Leon stuff. I go Youth and Young Manhood a while back and loved it. Aha Shake Heartbreak is even better.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Natasha Bedingfield, Artic Monkeys, some Fruity Penguins, older Franz Ferdinand, Fiona Apple's new disc and the new Black Eyed Peas...yes!

Whoever said Veruca Salt...G R E A T ! I have all their discs. Great Stuff. I would suggest Nina Gordon's solo stuff as it is very Veruca Salt-ish!
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Pitts wrote:Natasha Bedingfield, Artic Monkeys, some Fruity Penguins, older Franz Ferdinand, Fiona Apple's new disc and the new Black Eyed Peas...yes!

Whoever said Veruca Salt...G R E A T ! I have all their discs. Great Stuff. I would suggest Nina Gordon's solo stuff as it is very Veruca Salt-ish!
The Seether's Louise! :twisted:

We need a headbangin' emoticon. Or a hand with the pointer/pinky up rock out symbol.
spoon
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by spoon »

Bring Back KC wrote: I really think they're probably the *best* band of the last 20 years or so.
Punkins, Soundgarden and PJ all have a justified fight. I can listen to all 3 all day.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Music

Post by Gaucho »

Dylan, Fred Neil, lots of Motown and Northern Soul. Oh, and The Jam. Not much newer stuff, Hard-Fi are pretty good. Oh, and of course Antony & the Johnsons. Brilliant.

My faves from last year, apart from Hard-Fi and Antony are Arcade Fire, Maximo Park, Ambulance Ltd., New Order and British Sea Power.
BritishPenguin

Post by BritishPenguin »

I'm listening to the first, self-titled Foo Fighters album for some reason. There are some great songs on there.

Also been listening to some of De La Soul's greatest hits, Kings Of Leon and Oasis.

There's a new band from Sheffield called the Harrisons who I quite like. Sort of mod-rockish stuff, a bit like the Jam.

And an under-rated band from back in the late 80's early 90's, the Screaming Trees (early stuff, and some of Mark Lanegan's solo stuff).
plasticbratt
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by plasticbratt »

Olo, Minus the Bear, God Speed you. . . so far today.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Pitts wrote:Artic Monkeys
Lots of hype on them. Great name but what do they sound like?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Ben Klingston wrote:I watched a kick-arse version of Austin City Limits with My Morning Jacket featured. Went out and bought their entire collection. I'm really diggin' their stuff right now.

Kind of a mix between Allman Brothers, Greatful Dead, Pink Floyd, and Coldplay. Very spacey, psychadelic, jam-based music, with a lot of guitar-stompin riffs mixed in.

Different, and I like 'em.
Sounds awesome. I'll have to check it out. I'm a huge ABB fan. I see them four or five times a year, including at least twice at their Beacon Theatre shows in NY in March every year.

I'm also a fan of Warren Haynes side project, Government Mule.

I've really been listening to a number of Blues Based Jam Bands. "Jupiter Coyote" out of Carolina is awesome. Old Union is of the same genre.

There's a band called Akoustic Hookah out of Columbus that is more physcadelic. Umphrey McGee has recently started getting a lot of play omy IPod as well.

Anyone ever hear any "Little Axe" I can't take a steady diet of it, but the sampling of old blues tracks is captivating.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Arctic Monkeys

Post by Gaucho »

I don't think the Arctic Monkeys deserve all the hype. They're ok, but this is all about the media looking for the next big thing.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Arctic Monkeys

Post by Admin »

Gaucho wrote:I don't think the Arctic Monkeys deserve all the hype. They're ok, but this is all about the media looking for the next big thing.
So it's not the "Fifth best British album of all-time!" :lol:
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Rob UK Pen »

Gaucho wrote:I don't think the Arctic Monkeys deserve all the hype. They're ok, but this is all about the media looking for the next big thing.
Hey don't knock my hometown's new heroes! Those boys are putting us on the map. :wink:

To be honest I can't say I've heard much of their stuff. They sound ok, but I need to have a good listen to their album first.

Bizarrely though I've found myself listening to a lot of classical music of late. :shock: Please don't tune out just yet, its just that we're 'playing' bits of classical music it to our unborn baby that's due in June. My wife reckons it aids their intellectual development. But I'm kind of getting into it - well as much as you can 'get into it'.

Oh my god, I've just realised.......am I getting old?! :shock:
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Rob UK Pen wrote:My wife reckons it aids their intellectual development. But I'm kind of getting into it - well as much as you can 'get into it'.

Oh my god, I've just realised.......am I getting old?! :shock:
Actually it aids in the sales of classical music CDs. :D

If you have to ask, then...
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Pulp!

Post by Gaucho »

Pulp put Sheffield on the map!

I've listened to some Bach lately, so I guess I'm getting old, too.

Fifth-best British album of all-time? Who said that? Fifth-best British album of the month maybe, but all-time? :?
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pulp!

Post by Admin »

Gaucho wrote:Fifth-best British album of all-time? Who said that? Fifth-best British album of the month maybe, but all-time? :?
NME - http://www.nme.com/news/stone-roses/22062
Rob UK Pen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Pulp!

Post by Rob UK Pen »

Gaucho wrote:Pulp put Sheffield on the map!
.....or possibly Def Leppard even? :lol:
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

And to answer the original question:
Interpol, Air, and, of course, Alizee (new album due out this year?).