Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Let's talk about music

Post by columbia »

I probably wouldn't go to see that, but I distinctly remember pulling the shrink wrap off of this album and playing it for the first time.

[youtube][/youtube]
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

legame wrote:Booking a small show in Pittsburgh on April 3rd or 4th to close out a mini run up the east coast with my band. Bloomfield Bridge Tavern needs me to find local support. Anyone know of any decent lower-level alt-countryesque bands in town that will draw at least 25-50 people?
Hm.. lower-level alt-countryesque.... You could try Devin Moses & The Saved, though they're a little more on the folk side I believe. The draw might be a crapshoot, but it's tough to predict those things sometimes. There's also a group called The Jakobs Ferry Stragglers, though they're almost straight bluegrass, and I'd qualify them as mid-level (and they're awesome). Those are really the only two that come to mind right now around that genre.

If not them though they'd probably know a group or two that might be able to fit the bill.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

meecrofilm wrote:
count2infinity wrote:when Beck won the award and got on stage and was being handed the grammy from Prince, he (kanye) went up on stage and pretended like he was going to grab the mic and go on a rant. He then just smiled, waved and went back to his seat.
And then made disparaging comments towards Beck when interviewed after the show. But yeah, as others have said, he's massive tool with an even bigger ego.
Garbage's Shirley Manson Writes Open Letter To Kanye West
In attempting to reduce the importance of one great talent over another, you make a mockery of all musicians and music from every genre, including your own.

Grow up and stop throwing your toys around.

You are making yourself look like a complete t*w*a*t.

P.s. I am pretty certain Beyonce doesn't need you fighting any battles on her account. Seems like she's got everything covered perfectly well on her own.
:lol:
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

:thumb: :thumb: Love it.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

So this is odd...

Barenaked Ladies and Violent Femmes are playing Stage Ae in June. Im very much considering going to see VF and bailing.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

37 years ago today, the world was introduced to Van Halen.

[youtube][/youtube]

Click through to YouTube and listen to the whole album. Enjoy.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Has anyone ever been to Stage Ae outdoors the sametime as a Pirates game? If so...how crazy is the North Shore traffic wise, and do they have a reserve lot for Ae parking? I wanna go see Violent Femmes June 23 but Pirates play Reds at 7:05.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

meecrofilm wrote:
legame wrote:Booking a small show in Pittsburgh on April 3rd or 4th to close out a mini run up the east coast with my band. Bloomfield Bridge Tavern needs me to find local support. Anyone know of any decent lower-level alt-countryesque bands in town that will draw at least 25-50 people?
Hm.. lower-level alt-countryesque.... You could try Devin Moses & The Saved, though they're a little more on the folk side I believe. The draw might be a crapshoot, but it's tough to predict those things sometimes. There's also a group called The Jakobs Ferry Stragglers, though they're almost straight bluegrass, and I'd qualify them as mid-level (and they're awesome). Those are really the only two that come to mind right now around that genre.

If not them though they'd probably know a group or two that might be able to fit the bill.
This is perfect. Thank you. Americana/folk bands works as well. I'm touring as a two-piece for this run with my drummer and the stuff ranges from Black Keys-esque to singer/songwriter stuff, so I just prefer sharing the stage with someone with a bit of pop sensibility.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Has anyone ever been to Stage Ae outdoors the sametime as a Pirates game? If so...how crazy is the North Shore traffic wise, and do they have a reserve lot for Ae parking? I wanna go see Violent Femmes June 23 but Pirates play Reds at 7:05.
Your best bet is parking at one of the garages within a quarter mile of the venue. Honestly you'll be paying about the same rate. They block off the parking facing the indoor venue side for Pirates fans and that leaves very limited options on the other side unless you get there very early. If you can't be bothered, I'm not familiar with street names but if you're looking outside the front door of AE on the indoor side, at that lot/street running perpendicular, make a left out of the lot, then your first right onto whatever street that is, and on the left is an indoor garage that usually has plenty of space to park for 15 or so bucks.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

That works...
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

legame wrote:This is perfect. Thank you. Americana/folk bands works as well. I'm touring as a two-piece for this run with my drummer and the stuff ranges from Black Keys-esque to singer/songwriter stuff, so I just prefer sharing the stage with someone with a bit of pop sensibility.
Ah, ok, gotcha. I'd also look into Andre Costello & the Cool Minors. More on the rock/folk spectrum, but they're a pretty decent trio.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

Killswitch Engage guitarist Adam D ends up on The Price Is Right. Entertainment ensues...

[youtube][/youtube]
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

tifosi77 wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:
count2infinity wrote:when Beck won the award and got on stage and was being handed the grammy from Prince, he (kanye) went up on stage and pretended like he was going to grab the mic and go on a rant. He then just smiled, waved and went back to his seat.
And then made disparaging comments towards Beck when interviewed after the show. But yeah, as others have said, he's massive tool with an even bigger ego.
Garbage's Shirley Manson Writes Open Letter To Kanye West
In attempting to reduce the importance of one great talent over another, you make a mockery of all musicians and music from every genre, including your own.

Grow up and stop throwing your toys around.

You are making yourself look like a complete t*w*a*t.

P.s. I am pretty certain Beyonce doesn't need you fighting any battles on her account. Seems like she's got everything covered perfectly well on her own.
:lol:
She's much nicer than I would be.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Going to Mr. Smalls for the first time for a show soon. Any parking tips I should be aware of?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

One of the great bands in the current thrash revival. :fist:

[youtube][/youtube]
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

meecrofilm wrote:Going to Mr. Smalls for the first time for a show soon. Any parking tips I should be aware of?

Street Parking. Worst case scenario is you park down the hill on the main street where the Attic is and have to walk up the hill.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Sarcastic wrote:One of the great bands in the current thrash revival. :fist:

[youtube][/youtube]
Musically that is really really really good. Love the riffs. Not a fan of that guys voice though for whatever reason. Kind of like Megadeth love them musically, but Mustaines voice grates on me.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

I'm torn on Mustaine myself. I think he has a great voice, very unique, yet somewhere between the early stuff and the mid-later material his voice got on my nerves. I can hear the egomaniac in his singing, maybe that's it. (nods)
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Troy Loney wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:Going to Mr. Smalls for the first time for a show soon. Any parking tips I should be aware of?
Street Parking. Worst case scenario is you park down the hill on the main street where the Attic is and have to walk up the hill.
Seconding this. Went there a few months ago for GWAR and had to walk about half a mile to find a parking spot, and that was an hour before the show.

If I remember correctly, residents are also very protective of their spots in front of their house. Parking chairs n'at.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

MRandall25 wrote:Just in case you wanted a list of what Beck played/contributed on his album:
vocals, acoustic guitar (tracks 2–5, 8, 9, 11 and 12), electric guitar (tracks 9 and 13), keyboards (track 2), piano (tracks 3, 5, 6 and 13), synthesizer (track 13), organ (track 13), electric bass (tracks 5 and 11), sound collage (track 3), tambourine (track 4), ukulele (track 5), charango (track 5), celeste (track 9), dulcimer (track 11), harmonica (track 12), glockenspiel (track 13), orchestral arrangements (all tracks with orchestral instruments)
He also wrote and composed all of his songs.
and looking at Beyonce's album, we have...

Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Kanye real life is as absurd as South Park Kanye
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

[youtube][/youtube]
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

cma3585 wrote:Killswitch Engage guitarist Adam D ends up on The Price Is Right. Entertainment ensues...

[youtube][/youtube]
The guy on the right is umm... one of the biggest (i don't mean fat, i mean successful) camgirls on MFC. He even got her and her son a house to live in. :shock:
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Are you talking about Drew Carey?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Are you talking about Drew Carey?
That is correct.