Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Let's talk about music

Post by Froggy »

Factorial wrote:
Froggy wrote:Guy is a d bag of the highest order, also.
:thumb:
I was at a metal/horror festival with a press pass, and he had his people remove everyone from the press and artist lounge before he graced the festival with his presence. Then, he forbid anyone from photographing his set, because pictures would prove he looks like a grandma. Really rubbed me the wrong way. That's probably not even top five most diva thing he's done, though
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

Froggy wrote:
Factorial wrote:
I was at a metal/horror festival with a press pass, and he had his people remove everyone from the press and artist lounge before he graced the festival with his presence. Then, he forbid anyone from photographing his set, because pictures would prove he looks like a grandma. Really rubbed me the wrong way. That's probably not even top five most diva thing he's done, though
This past year with Slipknot's Knotfest in Iowa (I think), they streamed the main acts from the festival and Danzig was the only one that was not streamed publicly.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Danzig 1-6, Samhain and Misfits are some of my fav bands. Hell i even liked the Michael Graves era of Misfits.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

cma3585 wrote:
Froggy wrote:
Factorial wrote:
This past year with Slipknot's Knotfest in Iowa (I think), they streamed the main acts from the festival and Danzig was the only one that was not streamed publicly.
Because everyone would know he's a grandma with a girdle, hair piece, and lifts
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Danzig 1-6, Samhain and Misfits are some of my fav bands. Hell i even liked the Michael Graves era of Misfits.
Then I hope you checked out my link. Well worth it.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Well...I also dig DOWN so I def enjoyed that.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

speaking of down, at the same festival, i met phil anselmo. good dude. much less d-baggy than danzig
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Listened to the Bruno Mars single..have to agree with Froggy. I despise modern pop music, but Bruno Mars seems like one of the few that loves the roots of the genre and embraces them. Uptown Funk is a legitimately great single
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Uptown Funk was more Mark Ronson than Bruno Mars, I thought?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Froggy wrote:I would like to briefly add that back in October, I witnessed Danzig go through airport security, and watching him take off his boots with the 4" lifts was pretty hysterical. Guy is a d bag of the highest order, also.
Isn't he something like 5' 3" without the lifts?
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Just a little twist of cain....
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

JS© wrote:
Froggy wrote:I would like to briefly add that back in October, I witnessed Danzig go through airport security, and watching him take off his boots with the 4" lifts was pretty hysterical. Guy is a d bag of the highest order, also.
Isn't he something like 5' 3" without the lifts?
That's probably a bit generous, but yeah, he's tiny
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

When I met Danzig at Club Laga many moons ago, he was taller than me and im barely 5ft7.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

FreeCandy44 wrote:When I met Danzig at Club Laga many moons ago, he was taller than me and im barely 5ft7.
Those must have been some boots he was wearing.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

I love me some Samhain.

[youtube][/youtube]
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Thats my fav Samhain album.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Thats my fav Samhain album.
I went through a phase where I was all misfits/samhain. Still think it's some of the best music around.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

cma3585 wrote:Anyone into Danzig/Samhain? This dude is a one man project doing literally everything between instruments/vocals/production/mixes...his new album is a throwback to Danzig's post Misfits days and quite honestly is almost up there with his peak stuff. NSFW cover art featuring a forbidden body part unless on premium channels on the album artwork:

http://theborisrandallstore.bandcamp.co ... rise-again" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is just one album of his though. His past albums he absolutely nails that classic Down southern metal sound that even Down can't achieve anymore and also has some other releases with a more stoner metal vibe. Guy is quite remarkable and comes from around the area in East Liverpool, Ohio.
That's creepy, man. He even sings like Danzig. I'll listen to the whole album later.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Can we talk about Kidz Bop or whatever those are called for a minute?

Back before I had kids, I found these albums and songs to be repulsive. I didn't understand why kids singing pop songs was even necessary.

But now that I have two boys that love pop music (and the Beatles, amongst other things I listen to), we've found these kids versions are cleaned up enough for them to listen to ad nauseum. For instance, the "All about the bass" version doesn't have anything in it that my kids would repeat at school and get a note home from the teacher. And the lead vocalist on that version has a better voice than Meghan Trainor, fwiw.

Pop radio is tough enough to listen to (as I don't like most of the music), but then having to explain the lyrics to my 6 and 8 year old is a bit much. Then there's NPR News and explaining things like abortion, burning a pilot alive, and so on... :face:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Avyran wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
columbia wrote:I've never actually met anyone who likes Malmsteen's music.
Once you hear "Trilogy Suite, Op. 5" you don't need to listen any more of his repertoire. It's all there in that one piece.
Sarcastic wrote:I'm a fan of Vai's playing, but not his music. It doesn't speak to me.
To each their own. :fist:

For my money, Vai is sort of the only guy who can be called a shredder who I think actually has a unique musical voice, as opposed to just an identifiable sound. You could include Tom Morello on that list as well, but he's hardly famous for being a speed demon. (Altho he is.)
I love watching Vai play. His technique is all-finesse, in similar way I see Yngwie when he plays fast yet it looks so effortless to him. I prefer the neo-classical type shredders/metal players on the music side, but Vai does some things on guitar others just don't. Again, I think what goes missing in such discussions is the type of music involved. Hard to ask a strict blues fan who doesn't listen to metal to like neo-classical playing. I think that's why these discussions get heated and people don't want to give up their opinions. I say, people should open up their musical horizons. I'll go from thrash metal to reggae to classical to Portuguese fado music. People should be glad there's so much variety.
Just outta curiosity, what's yinz' opinions of John Petrucci? Does he fall in the "identifiable" sound too?
I think he does more than many other guitar players, though I'll agree with tif that maybe not completely. Not due to his fault, as he's great, but because there are so many good guitar players in metal today. It's hard to judge, to be honest. He definitely has his style and when he's on stage with other guys, you can tell when he's playing. On an album, not so much and because there is a lot of talent around... all the progressive/power/neoclassical bands. Skill level in metal gone through the roof since the 80's.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

The idea is that children like to hear other children sing?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

tifosi77 wrote:He's massively talented. I like Dream Theater a lot, altho I don't know enough of their repertoire to call myself a fan. My best bud was way into them a while back, so I learned one or two records really well. Back in '99 or '00 he was part of the G3 tour with Satriani and Vai (with Mike Mangini on drums), and I saw their show at the Wiltern Theater. Good stuff, I remember being impressed with Petrucci's phrasing in a way that didn't necessarily assert itself on recordings.
I'm not much of DT fan myself these days. I think they changed too much for my liking, though Images And Words is forever in my top 10 best metal albums of all time.

As far as his technique, what I noticed when I listened to them a lot is that he'd do a lot of staccato picking, which actually a lot of guitar players make a point of doing thinking legato is "cheating", and I always think it's an enormous mistake, as legato gives you that warm/smooth/round sound and that it is a good idea to mix it up to sound more aggressive or flowing as needed. Last time I listened to him play, he was doing more legato so I was happy. Actually, a lot of the solos in DT's music are so.... cold. Compare that to what Dave Murray in Iron Maiden does. I think Dave's as good a guitar player as any and he's always doing hammer ons and pull offs and slides... his playing is alive. Then again, we're talking different music styles and JP's playing is more suited to Prog rock/metal. Anyway, that's just personal preference, as JP's a fantastic guitar player.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Can we talk about Kidz Bop or whatever those are called for a minute?

Back before I had kids, I found these albums and songs to be repulsive. I didn't understand why kids singing pop songs was even necessary.

But now that I have two boys that love pop music (and the Beatles, amongst other things I listen to), we've found these kids versions are cleaned up enough for them to listen to ad nauseum. For instance, the "All about the bass" version doesn't have anything in it that my kids would repeat at school and get a note home from the teacher. And the lead vocalist on that version has a better voice than Meghan Trainor, fwiw.

Pop radio is tough enough to listen to (as I don't like most of the music), but then having to explain the lyrics to my 6 and 8 year old is a bit much. Then there's NPR News and explaining things like abortion, burning a pilot alive, and so on... :face:
[youtube][/youtube]
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Sarcastic wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:When I met Danzig at Club Laga many moons ago, he was taller than me and im barely 5ft7.
Those must have been some boots he was wearing.
I'm telling you, he wears 4" lifts in his boots. I've seen him up close with and without his boots on
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

columbia wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
Speaking of Maiden covers, this is why I love Dave Murray's guitar style. Look at Vai playing this... it's beautiful, flowing, expressive. Singer kinda sucks. Wow, the other guitar player sucks too. That's some sucky band there. Vai's solo... mmmm.

[youtube][/youtube]