Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Let's talk about music

Post by Sarcastic »

columbia wrote:I've never actually met anyone who likes Malmsteen's music.
I think a mistake he made mid-way through his career is not joining a band of other great musicians. It's awfully difficult to come up with quality material without much input from others. I wish he joined a band like Stratovarius or Rhapsody. Both feature great guitar players, but a real band setting is better than doing it alone, imo.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Once you hear "Trilogy Suite, Op. 5" you don't need to listen any more of his repertoire. It's all there in that one piece.
Sarcastic wrote:I'm a fan of Vai's playing, but not his music. It doesn't speak to me.
To each their own. :fist:

For my money, Vai is sort of the only guy who can be called a shredder who I think actually has a unique musical voice, as opposed to just an identifiable sound. You could include Tom Morello on that list as well, but he's hardly famous for being a speed demon. (Altho he is.)
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

tifosi77 wrote:
Once you hear "Trilogy Suite, Op. 5" you don't need to listen any more of his repertoire. It's all there in that one piece.
Sarcastic wrote:I'm a fan of Vai's playing, but not his music. It doesn't speak to me.

For my money, Vai is sort of the only guy who can be called a shredder who I think actually has a unique musical voice, as opposed to just an identifiable sound. You could include Tom Morello on that list as well, but he's hardly famous for being a speed demon. (Altho he is.)
I love watching Vai play. His technique is all-finesse, in similar way I see Yngwie when he plays fast yet it looks so effortless to him. I prefer the neo-classical type shredders/metal players on the music side, but Vai does some things on guitar others just don't. Again, I think what goes missing in such discussions is the type of music involved. Hard to ask a strict blues fan who doesn't listen to metal to like neo-classical playing. I think that's why these discussions get heated and people don't want to give up their opinions. I say, people should open up their musical horizons. I'll go from thrash metal to reggae to classical to Portuguese fado music. People should be glad there's so much variety.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

You are the only person I've ever seen reference fado when talking about guitar. I got into it briefly 20 years ago (!) when I was learning how to play 'Midnight Express' and saw the tab notes reference that style. A lot harder to track stuff down then..... for example, after reading your post I immediately hit YouTube and spent 7, 8 minutes listening to Alexandre Bateiras.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

People often aren't familiar with Fado music, so I'll post this. Check out this lady, please. Sit back in all-quiet and try to really feel her. She is an angel. One of the greatest I ever heard.

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I've come to really enjoy "Comfortably Numb". Not a huge PF fan (I like some Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall stuff, but it's fairly limited), but there's just something about the song that hits me in a way not many other songs do. Perhaps it's how the instrumentals mix with the lyrics.

Also really like Tom Waits's "Come On Up to the House". I can't say I've heard much Waits before this, but like "Comfortably Numb" the way the lyrics and the musical backing mix together is really well done.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Beautiful, dreamy, reggae song by the maaaaan.

[youtube][/youtube]

Some of his early stuff.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

24 string bass? Indeed.

[youtube][/youtube]
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

[youtube][/youtube]
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

[youtube][/youtube]
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

From the pet peeve thread...

A performance of 4'33" run through auto-tune:

[youtube][/youtube]

Odd that it's running time is 5'11". Must be an extended remix.

It does sound a bit like something the Hafler Trio would create.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

MRandall25 wrote:
Also really like Tom Waits's "Come On Up to the House". I can't say I've heard much Waits before this, but like "Comfortably Numb" the way the lyrics and the musical backing mix together is really well done.
Mule Variations is a great album.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Avyran »

Sarcastic wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:

I love watching Vai play. His technique is all-finesse, in similar way I see Yngwie when he plays fast yet it looks so effortless to him. I prefer the neo-classical type shredders/metal players on the music side, but Vai does some things on guitar others just don't. Again, I think what goes missing in such discussions is the type of music involved. Hard to ask a strict blues fan who doesn't listen to metal to like neo-classical playing. I think that's why these discussions get heated and people don't want to give up their opinions. I say, people should open up their musical horizons. I'll go from thrash metal to reggae to classical to Portuguese fado music. People should be glad there's so much variety.
Just outta curiosity, what's yinz' opinions of John Petrucci? Does he fall in the "identifiable" sound too?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

He's massively talented. I like Dream Theater a lot, altho I don't know enough of their repertoire to call myself a fan. My best bud was way into them a while back, so I learned one or two records really well. Back in '99 or '00 he was part of the G3 tour with Satriani and Vai (with Mike Mangini on drums), and I saw their show at the Wiltern Theater. Good stuff, I remember being impressed with Petrucci's phrasing in a way that didn't necessarily assert itself on recordings.

There's little doubt that if I was more engaged with their music that I'd think he had an identifiable sound. But sitting here now, I can't say that I'd put him in that mix.

There are only maybe half a dozen guitar players that I can hear one or two bars of their playing and instantly know it's them. EVH, Nuno, Vai, Morello...... well, I guess, that's only four. You could probably include someone like The Edge, but that's more of a soundscape thing than guitar virtuosity. (To harken back to the earlier discussion about what makes a player great)
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

As a big fan of late Silverchair, I was really excited to hear that Daniel Johns is doing a solo album. Turns out, it's probably not going to be my thing. Sounds like something between Justin Timberlake and Frank Ocean. Oh well.

[youtube][/youtube]
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Kraftster wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Mule Variations is a great album.
There are so many good Tom Waits albums...

The Black Rider is an especially good one:

[youtube][/youtube]
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I've been digging into Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! this week. I was curious whether I'd find a song I enjoy more than More News From Nowhere. Nope. So good.

[youtube][/youtube]
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

[youtube][/youtube]
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

thanks Pandora for getting sub par Metallica stuck in my head

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Is it normal for concert tickets to go on sale 9 months before the show? I rarely go to live shows, and Mark Knopfler is touring Fall 2015...tickets went on sale for a date near me in October. Is this normal?
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

[youtube][/youtube]
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

Is Elton John worth seeing these days? He'll be at Caesars when I'm in Vegas. Might see him.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

llipgh2 wrote:Is Elton John worth seeing these days? He'll be at Caesars when I'm in Vegas. Might see him.
I saw him about four years ago in Atlantic City...what a great show. Played all the hits, was up on top of the piano doing all of his showmanship stuff, etc. Obviously four years is a long time in terms of singers in their 60s, but the guy puts on a performance. I'd get tickets if possible.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

shafnutz05 wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:Is Elton John worth seeing these days? He'll be at Caesars when I'm in Vegas. Might see him.
I saw him about four years ago in Atlantic City...what a great show. Played all the hits, was up on top of the piano doing all of his showmanship stuff, etc. Obviously four years is a long time in terms of singers in their 60s, but the guy puts on a performance. I'd get tickets if possible.
Thanks. There are tix for the last night I'm there. Going to see Ringo Starr and his All Star Band the first night I'm there. Todd Rundgren is in his band for this leg.
Last edited by llipgh2 on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

llipgh2 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
Thanks. There are tix for the last night I'm there. Going to see Ringo Starr and his All Star Band the first night I'm there. Todd Rudgren is in his band for this leg.
A friend of mine saw him in Erie in Nov 2013 and thought he was still really good. Wish I would have gone after hearing him talk about it.