The Pro Wrestling Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: The Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by skullman80 »

Spangler wrote:Upon watching the RR replay, it sounded like Cesaro got a incredibly weak pop during his entrance. Was this true during the live showing?
He did, but at that point the crowd had already turned. He got a much bigger pop during the pre-show with his tag match with Tyson Kidd. The crowd popped for pretty much everything he did.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Once the crowd started chanting "CM Punk" I didn't really care what they did through out the rest of the show.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Defence21 »

Now that I've had a day to stew on Sunday's happenings, I've got a few thoughts:

1. The fans didn't revolt because Reigns won. They revolted because there were better and more believable options, and more to the point, because those better and more believable options all were discarded casually and without much fanfare. People pay money to watch PPVs, and yet some of the best wrestlers -- and more specifically, the ones people want to see -- were discarded in mere minutes, while Big Show and Kane, who no one wants to see, were part of the main attraction.

2. Maybe I'm missing something, but an easy way out of this debacle would be to have Lesner and Reigns do a double turn at Wrestlemania, with Heyman jumping ship to become Reigns' mouthpiece. Reigns clearly isn't going to get fully over as a face anytime soon, so a heel turn could capitalize on the heat, while also providing him with someone who could do his talking and simply allow him to do the a**kicking. If Lesner is done, Heyman will need a new client, and while Rollins seems the logical choice, he doesn't need a manager the way Reigns does. Plus, with the dearth of heels on the roster and with Lesner likely gone, they'll be hurting even more without someone turning. I say take advantage of the heat and play it out moving forward. Reigns always was at his best in the Shield when he didn't have to talk. Now's the chance to right the ship.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Defence21 wrote:2. Maybe I'm missing something, but an easy way out of this debacle would be to have Lesner and Reigns do a double turn at Wrestlemania, with Heyman jumping ship to become Reigns' mouthpiece. Reigns clearly isn't going to get fully over as a face anytime soon, so a heel turn could capitalize on the heat, while also providing him with someone who could do his talking and simply allow him to do the a**kicking. If Lesner is done, Heyman will need a new client, and while Rollins seems the logical choice, he doesn't need a manager the way Reigns does. Plus, with the dearth of heels on the roster and with Lesner likely gone, they'll be hurting even more without someone turning. I say take advantage of the heat and play it out moving forward. Reigns always was at his best in the Shield when he didn't have to talk. Now's the chance to right the ship.
I was just going to come on here and say that Wade Keller talked about the double-turn at WM on Austin's podcast. It makes a ridiculous amount of sense. Embrace the hate, cover-up a negative (Reign's promos), and give Heyman a client since Brock is reportedly gone. And if/when Lesnar comes back, he's a monster babyface out to get his revenge.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

The double turn makes too much sense, no way they do it haha.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

If anybody can sell Reigns on being the heir apparent to Cena/Lesnar, it's Heyman.

Reigns could use a total repackage to go along with the heel turn. New music, new gear, new move set (or I guess just more than three moves), and enter the arena down the ramp rather than through the crowd. Rollins moved on, Ambrose moved on, but Reigns is still clinging to the Shield gimmick. Take off those silly fatigues. Belee dat.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by CERV96 »

Jim wrote:Once the crowd started chanting "CM Punk" I didn't really care what they did through out the rest of the show.
Are the Punk chants getting old?
Yes, but from what I gathered Ryback was on a run in the ring and the crowd was chanting it during that run to get a kayfabe reaction from Ryback. I actually thought that chant actually had some kind of reasoning behind it as opposed to other useless times it has been chanted.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Defence21 »

nocera wrote:
Defence21 wrote:2. Maybe I'm missing something, but an easy way out of this debacle would be to have Lesner and Reigns do a double turn at Wrestlemania, with Heyman jumping ship to become Reigns' mouthpiece. Reigns clearly isn't going to get fully over as a face anytime soon, so a heel turn could capitalize on the heat, while also providing him with someone who could do his talking and simply allow him to do the a**kicking. If Lesner is done, Heyman will need a new client, and while Rollins seems the logical choice, he doesn't need a manager the way Reigns does. Plus, with the dearth of heels on the roster and with Lesner likely gone, they'll be hurting even more without someone turning. I say take advantage of the heat and play it out moving forward. Reigns always was at his best in the Shield when he didn't have to talk. Now's the chance to right the ship.
I was just going to come on here and say that Wade Keller talked about the double-turn at WM on Austin's podcast. It makes a ridiculous amount of sense. Embrace the hate, cover-up a negative (Reign's promos), and give Heyman a client since Brock is reportedly gone. And if/when Lesnar comes back, he's a monster babyface out to get his revenge.
I hadn't heard Keller say that, but I was very surprised I hadn't read it anywhere. It just makes too much sense. There have been rumors of a Reigns heel turn popping up periodically over the last few months. While I don't think it was in McMahon's plans originally, I would imagine he's at least having the discussion right now.

What this would accomplish:

1. Turns Reigns' negative heat into a positive.
2. Helps sell the believability of the inexperienced Reigns (who hasn't stomped anyone in a long time) defeating the Beast Lesner (who just beat the top face and the other top heel of the company in a single match), by way of help from Heyman.
3. Gives Reigns a mouthpiece and buys him significant time (and provides a coach) to get better on the mic.
4. Serves as a natural transition for Heyman (who I view as one of the absolute must-sees on the roster) to not only stay prominent and stay with the belt, but to be the one behind the one who beat the one who put the one in 21 and one.

I am close to canceling my Network subscription, as I have viewed the overall product as pretty crappy of late, with Sunday's terrible Rumble match being the straw that broke the camel's back. That being said, I have never watched Wrestlemania live and plan to this year. So for this one customer, it gives WWE a few months where I will watch every Raw, most Smackdowns, and each PPV. If by the time WM ends, the product isn't going in a direction where I feel it's worth my time, I'm out.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

I find it easier at this point to DVR raw so I can skip through all the suck. I don't even watch smackdown, because nothing of note happens there, and if it ever does, it will happen again on Raw the following week. Then I watch the PPV's. That at least makes it watchable to me most of the time. Oh and I always watch NxT because it's the best show they produce right now.

I do enjoy the original programming they put on the network though, like I'm looking forward to watching the WM30 behind the scenes doc they debuted last night. The Monday NIght war series was good, as was the rivalry stuff. So there is enough for me to throw down 10$/mth. Heck Nxt is worth the 10$/mth right now.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

http://411mania.com/wrestling/the-fall- ... le-fumble/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this is a great read about the creative and financial failures of the WWE in the wake of the rumble
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Yeah that's a really good read.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Got a text from WWE saying the Network hit 1 million subscribers, wonder how many of those cancelled after the Rumble?
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

I'm sure the UK and Canada helped greatly. But yeah, actually great timing for WWE to release this. This is far better damage control than having Reigns talk about his dad trying to drown him.

Any cancellation won't take effect until the end of the month, right? It'd be interesting to see the numbers then. I also wonder how many signed up just to watch Daniel Bryan win the Rumble.

I'm glad it's succeeding because I'll never return to paying $60 for a PPV. The WWE still knows a large amount of fans are angry about the Rumble and current product. That hasn't changed.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Potential spoilers for Daniel Bryan's Wrestlemania 31 plans:
Spoiler:
Word coming out of the Royal Rumble this week is that plans for Sheamus vs. Bryan III at WrestleMania are back on for this year's event in Santa Clara. The two wrestled to a No Contest in a Lumberjack Match at WrestleMania 27 and then Sheamus defeated Bryan in 18 seconds to win the World Heavyweight Title at WrestleMania 28.

Plans still call for Sheamus to return as a heel and it looks like he could be getting involved with Bryan upon returning.
http://wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2015/01 ... iel-bryan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spoiler:
Why does WWE insist of this match? I'm now convinced that the ONLY reason Wrestlemania 30 was any good was all thanks to CM Punk leaving. He really did us a solid.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

Wade Keller had a good point on the Austin podcast when he said Bryan is owed a title shot since he was stripped of it last year. The easiest solution is just to add him to the main event and make it another triple threat. That way Lesnar actually has a realistic chance to lose (I'm pretty sure Cena + Rollins > Reigns) and allows Reigns a natural heel turn. And I feel like Reigns/Lesnar by themselves would be boring

But after what nocera posted it looks like Bryan already has his WM match set
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

In other news, Meltzer is reporting that Wrestlemania will no longer feature numerals because Vince thinks it makes the event sound too old. It wasn't enough that he banned the saying "the granddaddy of them all" now he takes away the numbering which not only conveyed a deep history, it also set it aside from every other PPV.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

the NFL still uses the roman numeral system and nobody ever says it makes the game sound old.

Isn't this the same company that went for an entire Roman-themed wrestlemania once?

nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

The numbering gives prestige. It's just another bad decision in a long list of them lately.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Yeah...thats bunk.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Cause THATS what needs fixed Vince. Jesus. Wrestling fans hate history and the old days :face:
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Wtf is with them wanting Bryan vs. The Lobster. Wtf. **** nearly anything is better than that. Put the IC title on Bryan and only defend it on Smackdown make something relovent. For **** sake.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Pavel Bure wrote:Wtf is with them wanting Bryan vs. The Lobster. Wtf. **** nearly anything is better than that. Put the IC title on Bryan and only defend it on Smackdown make something relovent. For **** sake.
At this point I'd rather watch Bryan vs The Bunny or Bryan vs Torito.

(sorry, was running with the animal theme)
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

JS© wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Wtf is with them wanting Bryan vs. The Lobster. Wtf. **** nearly anything is better than that. Put the IC title on Bryan and only defend it on Smackdown make something relovent. For **** sake.

I'd rather watch Bryan vs. Brad Maddox than effin shamus. No one remembers what the red head did to Bryan a couple Manias ago because Bryan surpassed the irishman's level long ago.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

JS© wrote:

Or Bryan vs The Red Rooster or Bryan vs The Gobbledy Gooker or Bryan vs Road Warrior Animal or Bryan vs The Animal Batista or Bryan vs George the Animal Steele or Bryan vs the Junk Yard Dog or The British Bulldogs or Jake the Snake or Ricky the Dragon Steamboat.

Sorry.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

skullman80 wrote:Got a text from WWE saying the Network hit 1 million subscribers, wonder how many of those cancelled after the Rumble?
Were they at 1.5 million before the Rumble?