The Pro Wrestling Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: The Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Froggy »

shafnutz05 wrote:Meltzer gives the IC Title match in WK9 five stars. This really seemed like an awesome event, will probably order it at some point.
It's REALLY good. I thought the main event was a hair better, but I wouldn't be surprised if the best two matches of 2015 have already happened.

That being said, puro is kind of a different animal than American style wrestling. There's more of an emphasis on the slow build and telling a story, and if you're unfamiliar with the competitors, it can be a bit of a culture shock.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

Why do I not have this!?!?!?!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 32158.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Jim wrote:Why do I not have this!?!?!?!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 32158.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I had this. It was my favorite toy for a while until Bossman's night stick broke.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

shafnutz05 wrote:Meltzer gives the IC Title match in WK9 five stars. This really seemed like an awesome event, will probably order it at some point.
I haven't watched it yet, but here it is:

[youtube][/youtube]
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

nocera wrote:
I haven't watched it yet, but here it is:

[youtube][/youtube]
I'm interested but how do you order this event?
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Booker T is permanently replacing King on Raw. Not sure why they're afraid of a two man booth. I'd be okay with just Cole and JBL
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

nocera wrote:Booker T is permanently replacing King on Raw. Not sure why they're afraid of a two man booth. I'd be okay with just Cole and JBL
What's up with King?
Cagsjr724
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cagsjr724 »

King got moved to Smackdown
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

That's a weird switch. While he might be annoying at least King reminds me of when WWE was good.

They need to get Maggle the hell out of there. He's just pure awful.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

I'd like to have JR Back, but that will never happen.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Booker T does not have the voice for announcing. I didn't think the announcing team could get any worse, but it just did.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Re watched Wrestle Kingdom 9. I think that you probably need some degree of context to appreciate how good the last two matches on the card are.

On Nakamura v Ibushi... Nakamura is basically a cocky heel who can back it up. He's the #2 or 3 guy in the company, and a 12 year vet. If I had to pick a WWE analog, it'd probably be Randy Orton. I mean, he's way better than Orton, but like a main event caliber guy . Ibushi is a younger guy who's a flashy high flyer, and has just bulked up to move up to the heavyweight division. He also cane from a largely comedy promotion, where he once wrestled a 30 minute classic with a blow up doll. That's not a joke. Basically, the story of the match is that Nakamura doesn't take Ibushi seriously, and along the way, Ibushi takes everything he has, and forces one of the best wrestlers in the world to go to another level to put him away. Ibushi establishes himself as a main event level talent, and positions himself as the future ace of the company.

On Tanahashi v Okada...
Tanahashi basically reinvented what Japanese wrestling is over the last decade. He's like John Cena, but people actually like him. Okada is the guy they're currently pushing to the moon, and is the heir apparent as the top guy in the promotion now that Tanahashi is getting older. They've fought each other several times over the last couple years, with okada getting the upper hand on the last few. This is totally set up as Tanahashi getting beat, and Okada taking over as the top guy. What actually happens is that Tanahashi realizes that he can't beat Okada with his normal style, so he just goes off, busting out high risk stuff, like a crazy dive waaaaay in to the crowd. He even kicked out of Okada's Rainmaker, which is the most feared finishing move in Japan. THIS is how you do an extended feud between top guys. There is so much history between these two, and that history is referenced in the way the match was laid out. You almost NEED to have seen their previous matches to fully appreciate what they did here.

Both matches are great on their own, but when you understand the backstory of each, it makes them so much better.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

I would love to know how to order this stuff
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Froggy wrote:Re watched Wrestle Kingdom 9. I think that you probably need some degree of context to appreciate how good the last two matches on the card are.

On Nakamura v Ibushi... Nakamura is basically a cocky heel who can back it up. He's the #2 or 3 guy in the company, and a 12 year vet. If I had to pick a WWE analog, it'd probably be Randy Orton. I mean, he's way better than Orton, but like a main event caliber guy . Ibushi is a younger guy who's a flashy high flyer, and has just bulked up to move up to the heavyweight division. He also cane from a largely comedy promotion, where he once wrestled a 30 minute classic with a blow up doll. That's not a joke. Basically, the story of the match is that Nakamura doesn't take Ibushi seriously, and along the way, Ibushi takes everything he has, and forces one of the best wrestlers in the world to go to another level to put him away. Ibushi establishes himself as a main event level talent, and positions himself as the future ace of the company.

On Tanahashi v Okada...
Tanahashi basically reinvented what Japanese wrestling is over the last decade. He's like John Cena, but people actually like him. Okada is the guy they're currently pushing to the moon, and is the heir apparent as the top guy in the promotion now that Tanahashi is getting older. They've fought each other several times over the last couple years, with okada getting the upper hand on the last few. This is totally set up as Tanahashi getting beat, and Okada taking over as the top guy. What actually happens is that Tanahashi realizes that he can't beat Okada with his normal style, so he just goes off, busting out high risk stuff, like a crazy dive waaaaay in to the crowd. He even kicked out of Okada's Rainmaker, which is the most feared finishing move in Japan. THIS is how you do an extended feud between top guys. There is so much history between these two, and that history is referenced in the way the match was laid out. You almost NEED to have seen their previous matches to fully appreciate what they did here.

Both matches are great on their own, but when you understand the backstory of each, it makes them so much better.
That psychology sounds amazing. You rarely see any of that in the WWE aside from Wrestlemania.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Btw Nakamura reminds me of a Final Fantasy villian. I mean that in a good way. lol
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

so, if you've been watching NXT, you may have seen a woman wrestler in an angle with Cass, Enzo, & Carmella known only as "Blue Pants", because well... she wears blue pants. Anyway, it's a goofy thing, so of course it's over at Full Sail.

Anyway, she's a pretty successful wrestler on the indie circuit named Leva Bates, and it's cool that people know her as blue pants, but also super depressing that people ONLY know her as blue pants. Also, she's been on NXT like 4 times (i know, probably all taped on the same day). Get her a contract, guys
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

I'm loving Shinsuke Nakamura. He has a charisma few wrestlers have. Love his entrance and theme song. His posture and body language captures a kingly presence perhaps the best I've seen from a "king" gimmick.

I think it's funny when Okada does his "Rainmaker Pose" in the middle of a match and the camera does an extreme zoom-out. Never seen something like that.

I have to watch more New Japan wrestling because they are on a whole 'nother level.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

I'm blocked.....brother.

SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

What did you do?
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

He didnt say his prayers or eat his vitamins.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

FreeCandy44 wrote:He didnt say his prayers or eat his vitamins.
http://mypartyshirt.com/take-your-vitam ... an-shirt#z" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wish I knew what the actual comment was. I'd ask him, but I'm blocked. :)
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Guilt by association brother...
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

[youtube][/youtube]
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

[youtube][/youtube]
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Only the WWE would say Hey lets take the mic out of this guys hands and make him just imitate a guy who was on the Real World

[youtube][/youtube]