Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

Ad@m wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:I have a strict "don't talk to me unless you're a hot girl" policy
I'm not quite sure "hot girls" like short weenie's.
thus why no one ever talks to me =(
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I used to think wait staff watched and waited for you to have food in your mouth before walking over to ask how everything was. Then I realized that after your food gets there you probably have a mouthful of food about 60-70% of the time until finished so the odds are good they catch you at that time.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

My response is the same with a mouthful of food or not. A quick eye contact glance and a couple nods then back to attending my food. If no one else at the table makes a sound I do a two syllable ummhmm with my mouth closed. They're not looking for anything beyond an actual complaint or request.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

DudeMan2766 wrote:Hey waitresses. Please stop approaching me 15 seconds after my food arrives and asking me mid chew how it is.
But...how was your food?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

LeopardLetang wrote:My response is the same with a mouthful of food or not. A quick eye contact glance and a couple nods then back to attending my food. If no one else at the table makes a sound I do a two syllable ummhmm with my mouth closed. They're not looking for anything beyond an actual complaint or request.
I would still rather say "Good, thank you" rather than "mmphah" with half chewed food spilling out of my mouth hole. I do the nod after theres no choice. Seems it happens almost every time so I'm going to give them the bennies of doubt and say managers tell them they must ask patrons within 60 seconds how the food is and if they need anything. Which circles back to PFIDC's point: The odds of them coming to your table when you're not eating once you get your food is minimal.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

My response is always "great thank you" before they finish the question.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

What a likable dude you are I40.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

how many of you would send your toddler to a babysitter at 9am without feeding them breakfast first? the parents of other kid that our babysitter watches always makes her give their kid breakfast. it bugs me. feed your own kid its damn breakfast.

additionally, this other kid is a little dirt grub who makes my kid sick constantly. she also plays too rough. i don't care much for this situation, to put it mildly. we're adding our new baby into the mix in 5 weeks, and i want to vote a certain 18 month old off the island.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Pitt fans crying. Even though they don't donate or buy tickets.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

I'd say it's about time people on twitter can stop calling every opinion about sports a "hot take" and thinking it's LOLZ Funny
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

newarenanow wrote:Pitt fans crying. Even though they don't donate or buy tickets.
TIL empty yellow seats have tear ducts
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Sugar on spaghetti...? What in the actual **** is that noise? Someone in my work was talking about how they put sugar on spaghetti ("isn't spaghetti supposed to be sweet?) - am I wrong in hoping this person falls into the center of the earth?
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

mikey287 wrote:Sugar on spaghetti...? What in the actual **** is that noise? Someone in my work was talking about how they put sugar on spaghetti ("isn't spaghetti supposed to be sweet?) - am I wrong in hoping this person falls into the center of the earth?
Was it Buddy the Elf?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

mikey287 wrote:Sugar on spaghetti...? What in the actual **** is that noise? Someone in my work was talking about how they put sugar on spaghetti ("isn't spaghetti supposed to be sweet?) - am I wrong in hoping this person falls into the center of the earth?
You are not wrong.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Blasphemy
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

It's very common. It shouldn't be added to the point of actually making the sauce sweet, just enough to dull the acidity of the tomatoes.

Personally, I think sugar is too cloying. I prefer using grated carrot that's sweated with the onion and garlic prior to adding the tomatoes.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pens9192 »

Do you mean in the sauce? I will sometimes add a touch or two of brown sugar to my sauce but I like a sweeter tomato sauce.

The "If everyone reading this right now donated $3, our fundraiser would be over in an hour" banner on Wikipedia that expands to taking up half your screen. They have been doing this one for awhile. I give them some money from time to time but it just gets old.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

tifosi77 wrote:
It's very common. It shouldn't be added to the point of actually making the sauce sweet, just enough to dull the acidity of the tomatoes.

Personally, I think sugar is too cloying. I prefer using grated carrot that's sweated with the onion and garlic prior to adding the tomatoes.
I'm not reading that as "in the sauce." That would be fine in the correct amount, though personally not a huge fan (same reason as you).

I read it as the pasta is being seasoned with sugar after its plated.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

slappybrown wrote: I read it as the pasta is being seasoned with sugar after its plated.
This is how I read it as well.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

newarenanow wrote:
slappybrown wrote: I read it as the pasta is being seasoned with sugar after its plated.
This is how I read it as well.
Ditto
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Bars that are closed on Christmas.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

slappybrown wrote:I'm not reading that as "in the sauce." That would be fine in the correct amount, though personally not a huge fan
HUNT'S CATSUP INGREDIENTS:
Tomato Concentrate Made From Vine Ripened Tomatoes, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Distilled Vinegar, Corn Syrup, Salt, Less than 2% of Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Natural Flavors.

No sugar - but lots of corn syrup...
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

slappybrown wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:

I'm not reading that as "in the sauce." That would be fine in the correct amount, though personally not a huge fan (same reason as you).

Well, the notion of sugaring a plated pasta dish sounded so silly to me, I just sorta presumed they meant they flavored the sauce. :lol:

If I'm just making a basic tomato sauce, I don't use much carrot at all. But if I'm making something like ragù Bolognese I'll put a lot more carrot in because that has added acidity from both wine and milk. (Adding milk I think makes it more of a Modenese style ragù)
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

This is not so much a peeve but a headscratcher. Cheapest gas I've seen in Lawrence and Mercer counties is $2.68. I was in Trumbull county Ohio less than 10 miles (from Mercer co.) and most cheap gas was $2.24 and one was $2.22. My buddy was over near Kent Ohio and it was $2.15. It's always been about a quarter cheaper but not half a buck.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

tifosi77 wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:

Well, the notion of sugaring a plated pasta dish sounded so silly to me, I just sorta presumed they meant they flavored the sauce. :lol:
You're underestimating the bounds of man's cruelty to not only innocent tomatoes and pasta, but to himself.