Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Let's talk about music

Post by Eismann »

Willie Kool wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Nobody rocks the flute like Tull
which got me thinking, who else rocks the flute? Traffic and Moody Blues are first to come to mind...
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

[youtube][/youtube]
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Friend of mine just sent me this: http://120minutes.tylerc.com/1986-87/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's an archive of the playlists from 120 Minutes from 1986 until 2013. There are so many groups that I've forgotten about.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

So many good bands....
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Q-Tip has a few words for Iggy Azalea
http://www.complex.com/music/2014/12/qt ... ory-lesson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, I disagree that she needed a "history lesson." It would have been much more efficient (and accurate) to simply tweet, "You are vacuous & inauthentic and that has nothing to do with the color of your skin."
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

columbia wrote: It would have been much more efficient (and accurate) to simply tweet, "You are vacuous & inauthentic and that has nothing to do with the color of your skin."
but I thought "first things first, she's the realest"
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by RxBandit66 »

Just reviewed the album "Albion" by the band "Ten." If you are a fan of melodic hard rock in the style of Dream Theater, Boston, etc. you will love this. It got incredible reviews across the board. Rock fans check it out!!

http://melodishop.com/albion-ten/release_760161.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_%28band%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

From the Droid thread, so as not to pollute...
PensFanInDC wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:Whats wrong with Pandora?
Spotify exists
Neither of which actually pays proper royalties. This is because the labels, publishers and the streaming services negotiated agreements to treat each individual instance of a streamed song like a purchase. That means artists (be it songwriters on the publishing side, or the recording artists on the master side) get paid about 10%-12% of the revenue, after allowable deductions. (Which up to an alarmingly recent time, included packaging costs on digital downloads....)

In reality, the deals with streaming services constitute licensing agreements. And in a license agreement, the relevant artists tend to do much better, typically splitting the revenue 50-50 with the publisher or label, as applicable, and usually on a first-dollar basis.

I saw a story a few years ago that showed songwriter extraordinaire Desmond Child was paid $110 for 6-7 million plays of "Livin' On A Prayer" in one quarter of 2011 or 2012.
Bands make money on touring.
This Band Just Finished A 28 Day Tour And Made How Much?!

TL;DR ----- They spent $147,802 produce, execute and promote the tour. Income from all sources totaled $135,983.

To their credit, they see the loss as an investment in the band's future. But the "bands make money touring" trope in response to claims against streaming services isn't really accurate. It's more like they get screwed out of slightly less money touring.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Wow...an indie band 1,000 people have heard of did a 28 day tour and lost money. Color me convinced...

But seriously, bands do make their money on tour. When you're an "indie" band or just starting out you are going to lose money on album sales and touring. Like they said, it's an investment. They will make their money on tour...
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

tifosi77 wrote:From the Droid thread, so as not to pollute...
PensFanInDC wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:Whats wrong with Pandora?
Spotify exists
Neither of which actually pays proper royalties. This is because the labels, publishers and the streaming services negotiated agreements to treat each individual instance of a streamed song like a purchase. That means artists (be it songwriters on the publishing side, or the recording artists on the master side) get paid about 10%-12% of the revenue, after allowable deductions. (Which up to an alarmingly recent time, included packaging costs on digital downloads....)

In reality, the deals with streaming services constitute licensing agreements. And in a license agreement, the relevant artists tend to do much better, typically splitting the revenue 50-50 with the publisher or label, as applicable, and usually on a first-dollar basis.

I saw a story a few years ago that showed songwriter extraordinaire Desmond Child was paid $110 for 6-7 million plays of "Livin' On A Prayer" in one quarter of 2011 or 2012.
Bands make money on touring.
This Band Just Finished A 28 Day Tour And Made How Much?!

TL;DR ----- They spent $147,802 produce, execute and promote the tour. Income from all sources totaled $135,983.

To their credit, they see the loss as an investment in the band's future. But the "bands make money touring" trope in response to claims against streaming services isn't really accurate. It's more like they get screwed out of slightly less money touring.
I know plenty of professional musicians. They make they're money touring, although largely in Europe.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

My post sounds dickish. No offense meant.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Of course Pomplamoose lost money on a tour.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Of course it was a pittance compared to all their Hyundai money.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

well, of course they lost money, they spent over $5000 per day on a US tour. I'm not sure who pompamoose is, but i bet most indie bands make do with much less.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

The cost of a operating a used van, a few quarts of beer, and sleeping and eating at fans' homes won't cost you $5K a day.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Blackjack and hookers.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Factorial wrote:The cost of a operating a used van, a few quarts of beer, and sleeping and eating at fans' homes won't cost you $5K a day.
When I had dreams of "making it" I held closely to the story of Blink-182 (yeah yeah yeah...). They all shared a studio apartment and ate bologna in hand sandwiches because they put everything else into the band.

I'm willing to bet this band could have done without much of what they rented/brought with them on this "tour".
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Wasn't pompamoose responsible for that annoying commercial a couple years ago?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

Yeah, the Hyundai ones (I think someone mentioned the money they got from that earlier).
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Awesome write up on the old Oakland gem known as Club Laga. Saw many many bands there back in the day. I miss places like Graffiti, Metropol etc....

http://Www.pittpunk.org/club-laga/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Awesome write up on the old Oakland gem known as Club Laga. Saw many many bands there back in the day. I miss places like Graffiti, Metropol etc....

http://Www.pittpunk.org/club-laga/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:thumb:

I was at that AFI show, it was probably the most intense show I ever saw. Crowd and the band were really animated.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Im kinda late to the party, but...the new Foo Fighters album is very meh. Been a fan since the Grohl demo tape and the first two albums are flawless, but the new album besides the first two tracks has zero punch. Im not expecting a rougher edge to every song..but Dave...grow some marbles.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I didn't know much about Mr. Leonard Cohen when I first bought this fine vinyl LP, but I just completely assumed it was a greatest hits collection. I was incorrect. 8-)

[youtube][/youtube]
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

I just spent an hour listening to A Dose Of Buckley's "Ten Worst Songs" collection from 2010-14.

And the winners are...
Spoiler:
2010: YG - Toot It & Boot It
2011: Kreayshawn - Gucci Gucci
2012: Nicki Minaj - Starships, Stupid Hoe, Beez in the Trap, and Pound The Alarm (four-way tie)
2013: Miley Cyrus - We Can't Stop
2014: Avril Lavigne - Hello Kitty