How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by roland »

Any thoughts on Flashlight apps stealing/selling private info. It's been in the news before and has emerged again.

STEALING : http://benswann.com/exclusive-top-10-fl ... our-phone/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NOT STEALING : http://www.howtogeek.com/198846/no-your ... ng-on-you/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

FWIW, I think I finally got my tablet sorted. Required me to flash the ROM and select a different Google account as the device default, but I think I'm back and running smoothly. *knock wood*
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I have no complaints with att. Inside our house Verizon sucks but att is great.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Is there a decent sports app for getting live scores outside of espn's? It has been awful for awhile now (or at least it only half works for me, and usually only after more clicks than should be necessary)

Just want something where I can set a few teams I care about and see the scores without a bunch of crap.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

the wicked child wrote:Is there a decent sports app for getting live scores outside of espn's? It has been awful for awhile now (or at least it only half works for me, and usually only after more clicks than should be necessary)

Just want something where I can set a few teams I care about and see the scores without a bunch of crap.
I use The Score, has been pretty reliable for me.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I agree on Espn Scorecenter. It never updates initially, and usually forgets which teams I follow. I'll give The Score a try.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Just installed The Score. I'll see how this works. Thanks!
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Did anyone else get the Kitkat 4.4.4 update this morning?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Still waiting on my T-Mobile Note 3
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

pittsports87 wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Is there a decent sports app for getting live scores outside of espn's? It has been awful for awhile now (or at least it only half works for me, and usually only after more clicks than should be necessary)

I use The Score, has been pretty reliable for me.
CBS Sports app is awesome
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

droid turbo sounds like it will be a winner.

http://gizmodo.com/droid-turbo-a-super- ... 1651686199
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

That does look nice. $200 for 32 GB built in storage? Very nice. And all of that battery life.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

I know im about a year behind here, but im wondering if there is really any difference between the Samsung S3 and S4? I have an oppurtunity to purchase a brand new S3 for very cheap, but im wondering if I should hold out for the S4. Im not interested in the S5.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Not a huge difference between S3 and S4. S3 can still hold its own. If you are getting a great deal then go for it.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Yeah, eligible to upgrade in January but we're both satisfied with the S3s. Prolly hold on to them at least another year.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

My S3 is still totally fine, except I wish it had a longer battery life.
Then again, the later versions probably have more features, which eat up more battery power.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

FreeCandy44 wrote:I know im about a year behind here, but im wondering if there is really any difference between the Samsung S3 and S4? I have an oppurtunity to purchase a brand new S3 for very cheap, but im wondering if I should hold out for the S4. Im not interested in the S5.
I upgraded from S3 to S4 about 6 months or so ago and I like it. It pretty much is the same but a bigger screen and better camera.

I can upgrade to a Moto X for free and I'm thinking about it. Any opinion on that phone?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Moto X intrigued me, but I don't believe it had a SD card slot, which was a dealbreaker for me.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I currently have 15.5gb stored on my S4 (32GB) and I don't dump pics off of it. If I did that I would have tons of space. I think I would be OK with not having an SD card but that is good info to have. Thanks.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

I was very weary of not having an SD card in my current phone (HTC One S). But it has worked out pretty well. I always stored a ton of music on it, but now I just use Plex to access my entire library at home.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

It really depends what I am going to be using a device for. I have 14 GB free out of 32 system with no media and I have 10 GB being used by Apps, most of which can go if I need space like the 9 Angry Birds games I have installed and I only really play seasons. With a screen as big as the Note 3 I will watch movies on it so having a 64GB SD card is great. But T-Mobile now allows free streaming from all the major music services except Amazon prime. I uploaded by music library to Google Music so it's available for free anywhere, all 15,000+ songs I added so far. If I was limited to 16 GB I could whittle a nice playlist down to around 1GB and be fine, right now I keep around 13GB available on my card for quicker access, with 32GB the dire need for an SD card isn't really there even with that.

All things being equal give me an SD card but if the phone is still really good and in 32GB, like a Moto X, it won't stop me from buying one if the price is good.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I ordered the moto X and it will be here on Friday. The only thing I don't really like is that I cannot remove the battery.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Any of you use NFC triggers with your smartphones? As I understand it, with an app like Trigger I could use NFC stickers to automatically set certain actions based on proximity. For example, if I'm understanding correctly I could put a tag on the phone holder in my car so that when I insert the phone it automatically turns on the GPS and then starts Waze.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

PensFanInDC wrote:I ordered the moto X and it will be here on Friday. The only thing I don't really like is that I cannot remove the battery.
Ordered the customized phone on Monday and it was delivered today. That's freaky fast...
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Torn between the S5 and the Droid Turbo. I like the purported battery life on that Turbo, but I really like Samsung's form factor and up to 128GB microSD slot. I use Google Play music a lot, and I would like to save playlists on the phone instead of relying on mobile data.

Despite having new batteries (2), my S3 starts the "recharge nag" late afternoon everyday. So it's not power cell related, but Android OS and rogue apps sapping charge.

For instance, I don't think I've used Pandora on my phone in over a year. My wife used it on our Blu Ray player (tied to my account) and I got a notification about some new channel...on my phone. I forgot I even had it installed.