Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Car thread

Post by dodint »

Let me guess. With a shortbed.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:if you were buying an AWD vehicle that could hold at least 4 people and 2 sets of golf clubs in pittsburgh and were spending under 40,000, what would you buy
Subaru Forester or Outback.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

Shyster wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:if you were buying an AWD vehicle that could hold at least 4 people and 2 sets of golf clubs in pittsburgh and were spending under 40,000, what would you buy
Subaru Forester or Outback.
WRX
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

I'm extremely happy with my Audi A4
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Bioshock wrote:WRX
Sure, but I'm not sure it would have enough cargo space, considering Subaru has seen fit to drop the hatchback and sell the WRX only in sedan form.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Certified 2014 Enclave - loaded with 18K for $39,500

http://www.premiergmofwv.com/VehicleDet ... 2309055853
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Chefpatrick871 wrote:
Do you pay a poo load for parts etc? I have heard anecdotally Audi BMw Benz etc all cost big monies to maintain. Specifically after the warranty
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Average age of Buick buyer = 60.3 years
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/car ... /16587437/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice SUV, grandpa. :wink:
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

dodint wrote:Let me guess. With a shortbed.
Would hold its value much better than any SUV
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
Chefpatrick871 wrote:
Do you pay a poo load for parts etc? I have heard anecdotally Audi BMw Benz etc all cost big monies to maintain. Specifically after the warranty
If you insist on dealer service only, yes. They prey on the demographic that wants it to work with as little hassle as possible and can afford to not look at the invoice.

I personally have a mechanic that specializes in German cars. He has all of the BMW computer equipment but only charges about 20% more than a general mechanic. Most parts are pretty easy to get. They're not exotic cars. It isn't 1970 where they're an anomaly anymore. I taught myself how to make the correct fiber optic junctions to put factory satellite radio in my wifes 5-series and bought the tuner on eBay. You don't have to be that hands on but just know that the German cars aren't particularly special, they're just put together nicer.

I also paid for an aftermarket warranty for her car. It covers an astounding number of things and that work is performed at a BMW dealer which means those parts are covered for an additional two years from the install date. Every time the car squeaks funny we have them drive from two counties over to pick it up, service it, and bring it back and it's all billed to the warranty company.
mac5155 wrote:
dodint wrote:Let me guess. With a shortbed.
Would hold its value much better than any SUV
True. To me crew cabs with short beds are trucks for guys that wanted an SUV but all their friends have 'real' trucks. Should throw a tonneau cover on the bed for good measure.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Chefpatrick871 wrote:
Up until I hit my 150k mile services, which included timing belt, tune up and some other small things the only money I put into it was tires and oil changes. This year I've had the luck of having to do the aforementioned service along with brakes and rotors so I spent a good bit this year but it averages out since I've had the car almost 4 years and bought it with 90k miles.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Chefpatrick871 wrote:
Was also extremely happy with mine until somebody decided pre-7am bumper cars was a good idea. Car never drove the same after that, ended up trading it in about 500 mi after the warranty ran out.

I'll probably be looking to do the same with this Subaru once the warranty is done. The impreza will fit 4 people and although it would technically hold two sets of clubs, there wouldn't be much room for anything else.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I do like the pathfinder hybrids
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Shyster wrote:Average age of Buick buyer = 60.3 years
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/car ... /16587437/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice SUV, grandpa. :wink:
Well, my grandpa's generation didn't fight the Germans and Japanese so we could buy cars from them.

:pop:
Buick has been successfully improving its brand by adding cars that appeal more to younger buyers, according to Brauer. Two SUVs, the full-size Enclave and compact Encore, have done particularly well...
I've seen several hot soccer moms driving Enclaves.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by ulf »

I've been thinking about an A4. Lease on my jeep is up in March and I'm not leasing again. Been thinking that or a 328i, haven't really looked too much into either yet.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

dodint wrote:
Chefpatrick871 wrote:
If you insist on dealer service only, yes. They prey on the demographic that wants it to work with as little hassle as possible and can afford to not look at the invoice.

I personally have a mechanic that specializes in German cars. He has all of the BMW computer equipment but only charges about 20% more than a general mechanic. Most parts are pretty easy to get. They're not exotic cars. It isn't 1970 where they're an anomaly anymore. I taught myself how to make the correct fiber optic junctions to put factory satellite radio in my wifes 5-series and bought the tuner on eBay. You don't have to be that hands on but just know that the German cars aren't particularly special, they're just put together nicer.

I also paid for an aftermarket warranty for her car. It covers an astounding number of things and that work is performed at a BMW dealer which means those parts are covered for an additional two years from the install date. Every time the car squeaks funny we have them drive from two counties over to pick it up, service it, and bring it back and it's all billed to the warranty company.
interesting. the audi q5s are awesome but the stories about the parts/labor scares me off
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

The damn heat shield on my Acura is rattling. I've already had one mechanic look at it.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Replaced my Vredesteins with some Nokian Hakkapeliittas.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I am pretty sure my headlights on my honda are powered by the same bulb that the flash on my cell phone uses. So any recommendations on new head light bulbs?
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

mac5155 wrote:I am pretty sure my headlights on my honda are powered by the same bulb that the flash on my cell phone uses. So any recommendations on new head light bulbs?

You'll fit right in in Fayettenam.

I used to use Sylvania Silverstars but I'm not sure they're really the best value for the price. The light is blue/white because the bulb is filtered. A buddy of mine who used to work in industrial lighting pointed out to me that any spectrum filter like that decreases the light output of the bulb, so it never actually performs to its potential. You're paying for something that isn't performing as well as it could, by design.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Shyster wrote:Replaced my Vredesteins with some Nokian Hakkapeliittas.
:thumb: I've run studded Hakka's every winter for the last ~10 years. Absolutely love them.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

I went through a period where I tried just about every type of premium headlight bulb out there: Sylvania Silverstar, GE NightHawk, Philips CrystalVision. You name it, I probably tried it. My experience was that the so-called premium bulbs offered dramatically shorter life than the standard bulbs, and while the color of light was certainly different, the light doesn't really extend any farther. Some of the bulbs lasted only a matter of months, and they are very expensive. I do not believe they are worth it. I'd just buy the OEM-style bulbs that fit your car.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Does anybody want to buy the Bandit?

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auction ... 3Fpage%3D7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

lol

I just came here to post that.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »