Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by yubb »

No doubt.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

I have one that's grip and one that isn't. I haven't really noticed a difference in how they feel with gloves on.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Before I post my next pet peeve, a quick question: Do they even make wooden hockey sticks anymore?
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by yubb »

You mean like, in America?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Anywhere.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

tifosi77 wrote:Before I post my next pet peeve, a quick question: Do they even make wooden hockey sticks anymore?
Yes, but probably not pure wood. Probably some fiber glass finishing on it and that sort. But yes, to answer the question without being overly technical, yes.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

yubb wrote:"Grip" hockey sticks. Irrational because I've never used one. I've felt them in the store and want to break them instantly.
I bought one for the first time recently. I used it for one shift and then was undone by a head injury. Never touched the puck. So, I'm still not sure...
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by yubb »

That's all the proof I need!
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

mikey287 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Before I post my next pet peeve, a quick question: Do they even make wooden hockey sticks anymore?
Yes, but probably not pure wood. Probably some fiber glass finishing on it and that sort. But yes, to answer the question without being overly technical, yes.
I have a Sherwood 5350 sitting in my garage that I use for dek/ball hockey. It has a wood blade and has a finish on the shaft, but I think it's wood underneath the finish.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

mikey287 wrote:
They've had fiberglass laminated sticks for over 20 years (Koho Profiber, baby!! Fiberglass splinters for everyone!).

Okay, then I shall withhold my proposed pet peeve for the time being.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I got a Koho wooden stick for Christmas, when I was 10. That blade didn't make it past the winter, but it was my trusty street hockey stick until I was 17. :thumb:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I was a Profibre then Revolution guy. In college, I had my own pattern and would buy them a dozen at a time. (I don't know if they do that now in the composite age)

Can't remember the model number, but in around '98 - '00 Koho had a wood stick with a Jagr blade pattern (they're never really like the player's actual pattern). Man, that thing was perfect. Never liked a shaft/blade combo more.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Yeah I loved that koho stick. I think that was the last one i used before going composite.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Was that a black and yellow stick? Like black with a yellow stripe going the length of the shaft (IIRC), if so, that was go-to stick in my formative years...
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I use a sherwood one piece stick. I assume it's actual wood in there somewhere.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

mikey287 wrote:Was that a black and yellow stick? Like black with a yellow stripe going the length of the shaft (IIRC), if so, that was go-to stick in my formative years...
The Revolutions were black with yellow accents. But the one I don't think the Jagr one I was talking about was a Revolution. It was more of a natural wood finish/wrap shaft with black and yellow trim.

Btw, this Google Image search is driving me nuts.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I have two street hockey sticks that are black/orange Jagr sticks. I taped down far enough to cover the name. :D
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

These aren't the right ones, but the one I'm talking about looked a bit like these:
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Warrior dynasty grip are the best sticks ever made. Of all time!
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

I had a mylec ultra curve? I think thats what it was when we used to play street hockey back in the day.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Werent the black and gold ones the street revolution?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

The absolutely absurd fear-mongering over the FUKUSHIMA RADIATION CLOUD OF DOOM. It's seriously insane. Big reports recently that radiation from the Fukushima disaster has been detected...gasp....100 MILES FROM THE WEST COAST.

Moving further into the article....you could spend the better part of a year swimming in that "contaminated" water, and it would still be 1000x lower than a frigging X-ray. Of course, then they try to say "well it could build up in fish over time, yada yada yada".

This kind of stuff is why people will never embrace nuclear energy (the most Earth-friendly of them all). People hear "radiation" and freak out.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Humanity missing the boat on accepting nuclear power is one of my biggest complaints with modern society. It's so frustrating I don't really even think about it anymore. Keep burning coal and pretending that electric cars are clean energy.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

dodint wrote:Humanity missing the boat on accepting nuclear power is one of my biggest complaints with modern society. It's so frustrating I don't really even think about it anymore. Keep burning coal and pretending that electric cars are clean energy.
The electric car manufacturers/innovators have to hold their nose for right now. They are pursuing the correct path, regardless of the source of the electricity.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

The batteries are difficult to make as well.
Toyota admits that the production of its lightweight Prius requires more energy and emits more carbon dioxide than the production of its gas-only models [source: Williams]. The major reason is because hybrids like the Prius include more advanced components than a conventional car, including a second electric motor and heavy battery packs.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/scienc ... efits1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stuff like Cash For Clunkers really annoyed me as well. Take a perfectly good car off the road and destroy it and replace it with a new car "became MPGs!" and to stimulate the economy. It's ultimately worse for the environment to support the making of new cars rather than using the existing ones.

I'm not anti-electric car, I think once it's all sorted it'll solve a lot of different problems. The effects would be multiplied greatly if nuclear power were used to make the electricity though. Please, put one in my back yard, I'd love to have it.