Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Car thread

Post by tifosi77 »

Yeah, that's what I'm looking at. Looks like I can get two new seats for about $300-$350 or so. No electrical components in the seat and no airbags, so I'm good.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I would think that a guy at the junkyard could talk you through the process.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

It's literally 4 bolts then. Unless the seat belt is some how integrated, then it might be 5 or 6.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

tifosi77 wrote:Has anyone ever replaced the seat in their car? My drivers seat is broken: The padding in the lumbar/kidney bolster area has come off the frame, and now the side support of the structure of the seat itself digs into my back right at the bottom of my ribcage on the left. Taking right handers at any sort of speed is now physically uncomfortable, and I'm developing a back problem as a result. This problem has been going on for months, gradually getting worse. Is a replacement seat a junkyard type of thing? Should I contact a dealer?

Car is a 2001 Toyota Celica GT.
A dealer wouldn't be too helpful, imo. I had to replace the drivers seat on my old explorer. I went a couple months with it being propped up with a stack of cardboard boxes or the back section would fall to a full recline. Like dodint said, it was some bolts and a little bit of "expletive, my knuckles" kinda talking to her, but you shouldn't have a major to-do on that make/model. I did a cursory google search and it seems relatively straight forward. Junkyards would be the way to go. Shouldn't be terrible to find the chair, just might cost a little to clean and maybe reupholster. ...probably cheaper to just clean and buy a cover for it
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

They have junkyards in California?
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

Just saw a BMW I8 in the wild in Robinson for the first time. White, black, and blue. Damn good looking car. Between that and the Tesla, gimme the BMW.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

mac5155 wrote:They have junkyards in California?
It's called 'Bakersfield'.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

OutofFoil wrote:Just saw a BMW I8 in the wild in Robinson for the first time. White, black, and blue. Damn good looking car. Between that and the Tesla, gimme the BMW.
Only ever seen them at the L.A. Auto Show (which is later this month). It's definitely a swoopier looking car, but it's actually not as quick as the new P85D. Plus, the doors are goofy and it's nearly double the price of the base Model S.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Changed the oil in my truck today. It's insane how much quicker it is to do in a jacked up truck with 35 inch tires compared to a honda accord with crappy struts.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Yeah. When I had my Land Rover I could just put the oil pan under and unscrew the drain plug. No such luck with the cars.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Post by OutofFoil »

tifosi77 wrote:
OutofFoil wrote:Just saw a BMW I8 in the wild in Robinson for the first time. White, black, and blue. Damn good looking car. Between that and the Tesla, gimme the BMW.
Only ever seen them at the L.A. Auto Show (which is later this month). It's definitely a swoopier looking car, but it's actually not as quick as the new P85D. Plus, the doors are goofy and it's nearly double the price of the base Model S.
The P85D, built to emulate the McClaren's specs, is sweet, but is pretty much the same price as the I8. Yes the base model is almost half the price, but when you're playing in that league, who gets the base model?
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Hertz. They'll add it to the Prestige Collection and it'll have cloth seats when you get there.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

how much do new seats cost? i am intrigued.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

tifosi77 wrote:Yeah, that's what I'm looking at. Looks like I can get two new seats for about $300-$350 or so. No electrical components in the seat and no airbags, so I'm good.
They have racing seats on ebay for half that price. Not sure how well that would work for your back or how weird they'd look compared to the rest of the interior.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... &_udhi=179" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

dodint wrote:Hertz. They'll add it to the Prestige Collection and it'll have cloth seats when you get there.
With no bluetooth or Sirius, just an aux in jack if you're lucky.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I was super stoked the GMC box truck I got from Budget had a AUX input. Really changes the complextion of the trip. I have an RF transmitter but it's obviously not nearly as convienant.

I rented a Charger from Hertz a few weeks ago and it had an AUX buried in the console between the seats. Good deal.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

So it turns out that there's a Toyota parts clearing house no more than 2 miles from my office. They have a pair of front seats for a Celica GT in stock, so I just submitted a quote request. The seats are from a car with half the mileage of mine, but they are black and my car is 'Carbon Blue' (looks black).
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

$300 for the set. If I'm going to spend that much money (on used seats, no less) I might as well go aftermarket. Yea, nay?
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

$300 for the set is a good deal, if you don't find the customization aspect as part of the fun, take those seats and run.

That's what I'd pay for a single inexpensive aftermarket seat. A real nice racing seat, like a Cobra, is over $1000 a piece.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Keep in mind you're doubling the work to install them now by buying a pair ;)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Well, these don't match the interior of the car. If I'm going to go get something that's a different color, I might as well do it for the other seat as well.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

That's why I say the set is a good deal. They'll match each other at least.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

http://Www.car-part.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a good tool for finding specific items at junkyards. Not sure it's value in your area but i use it a lot here in pa
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Does anyone use an Optima battery and are happy with it? With the internet now they're not really more expensive than traditional batteries. I can have a Red Top 34 sent to my doorstep for $147 in two days from Amazon. Right now I have a very small Interstate track battery with only 500 CCA. I have a feeling this isn't going to hold up through the winter. The Red Tops have 800CCA and by nature of not being a lightweight battery should fare better based solely on that. I haven't looked at Optimas in a long time, and I remember them being quite polarizing. Ugly pun, there.

Thoughts?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Got my pops a walmart battery for 97 bucks. 750 CCas I believe