Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Let's talk about music

Post by JS© »

http://radio.foxnews.com/2014/11/09/rob ... -contract/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The 66-year-old singer walked away from a 35-date tour that would have paid the rock group nearly $800 million — ripping up the contract in front of stunned promoters, the Mirror newspaper reported Sunday.

British tycoon Sir Richard Branson had planned to reunite the Stairway to Heaven rockers and promoters had even gotten the green light from the other band members.

The mega deal would have paid Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones roughly $300 million apiece, before taxes, according to The Mirror.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Good for him........
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Plant must have thought that Branson wanted to send him in to space.

[youtube][/youtube]

It's 'rubbish' that Robert Plant turned down £500m Led Zeppelin reformation offer, says publicist
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/n ... eformation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Why won't Plant do this? Maybe his voice can't make it through 35 shows?
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

I read an interview with Plant in Uncut not too long ago. I don't remember the specifics, but Plant simply didn't seem interested in a Led Zep reunion and wanted to do continue to work on his (excellent) solo material. Page, meahwile, I don't know if he needs the money or what, has been pushing a reunion for years, so much so that Page got a little annoyed.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

If i were more into noise metal, I would listen to this band:

[youtube][/youtube]
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Gaucho wrote:I read an interview with Plant in Uncut not too long ago. I don't remember the specifics, but Plant simply didn't seem interested in a Led Zep reunion and wanted to do continue to work on his (excellent) solo material. Page, meahwile, I don't know if he needs the money or what, has been pushing a reunion for years, so much so that Page got a little annoyed.
IMO, any type of Zeppelin reunion now would be underwhelming. The 2007 concert was good, but it sounds...odd? Off?

And his latest solo album is excellent. I would rather see him touring behind that and making more music in that vein. Why would Plant want to go back and do oldies when his new material is so good?

I saw Page/Plant during the Walking Into Clarksdale tour in the late 90s. Great show, but not quite Zeppelin.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

While I can certainly understand and even applaud Plant's refusal to do a reunion, a big part of me is also sympathetic to the notion of feeling somewhat aggrieved at the idea of one person keeping me from a $300 million payday.

He's (Plant) is just completely uninterested in Zep Redux. Fair play, but it takes sterner stuff than that of which I am made to walk away from a payday like that.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I'd probably rather see Them Crooked Vultures.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Factorial wrote:Why won't Plant do this? Maybe his voice can't make it through 35 shows?
I question whether he could do the old songs for even one show at this point.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Arlo Guthrie concert was really amazing. He performed solo in the 18th oldest performing theater in the country. The acoustics were incredible. My wife and I were easily the youngest people by 20-30 years in the entire theater. Best way to describe one of his shows (this was my 2nd, wifes 3rd) is to think of a really good live show where they take time to stop connect with the audience for a song, except his is the entire show. Very personal and informative, through his dad and friends, the guy is a living legend in history of US music. Highly recommend seeing him if you get a chance.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

columbia wrote:I'd probably rather see Them Crooked Vultures.
One of my fav bands! You know...if you couldnt tell by the lyrics written in my location and what not.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I've seen Robert Plant live around 10 times. IMO, nostalgic factor is the only thing that would make this a good show. He simply would not be able to do what everyone expects him to do. He's 66 years old and sounds very much like a 66 year old, not a 20 year old Percy. He's so much more fitted for the solo stuff that he is doing right now. He still covers a lot of Zeppelin stuff on his tours and every once in while, you will hear what made him great, but he can't do it like he did. When it does come through, it's magical and fulfills every desire to hear him at his best.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I have no regrets in my life about never seeing Van Halen live. By the time I was old enough to go to shows, it was Van Hager (to which I have an allergy), and the current lineup is Michael Anthony-free, so it's not really Van Halen. I never had the opportunity to see Van Halen, so I can't really regret not seeing them. However, in '89 or '90 I passed up the chance to see Stevie Ray Vaughan. The Austin episode of Sonic Highways and all of the archival footage of Austin City Limits has made me realize what a stupid move that was.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

tifosi77 wrote:I have no regrets in my life about never seeing Van Halen live. By the time I was old enough to go to shows, it was Van Hager (to which I have an allergy), and the current lineup is Michael Anthony-free, so it's not really Van Halen. I never had the opportunity to see Van Halen, so I can't really regret not seeing them. However, in '89 or '90 I passed up the chance to see Stevie Ray Vaughan. The Austin episode of Sonic Highways and all of the archival footage of Austin City Limits has made me realize what a stupid move that was.
I had a chance to see Van Hagar in either 90 or 91 at Star Lake. Cousin bought tickets, his friend got stuck working and left him scrambling at the last minute to find somebody to go with. I imagine I was far down his list of people he wanted to go to a concert with. He was in his 20s, partied every weekend, and loved himself some VH. I was either in my junior or senior year of HS, still hadn't had my first beer, was more worried about enjoying my last week of vacation before going back to school, and was mostly indifferent to Van Halen.

Long story short, I ended up deciding to skate miniramp that night instead of going out to Starlake for a concert that I wasn't that interested in. I forget who he ended up taking, but I heard about it for several months after.

I have no idea where I was going with this story.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Speaking of Machine Head...

Sat Feb 7 @ Mr Smalls "An Evening With"
Tickets onsale this Friday
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Every Foo song ranked: http://www.spin.com/articles/foo-fighte ... -highways/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#1 is obvious
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

As a Foo fan since the beginning, this list is 100% crap.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Welcome to my latest obsession....

Spike Slawson lead singer of the Pittsburgh Pirates favorite cover band Me First and the Gimme Gimmes has a new cover band where he plays banjo. This is so great that I had to share it.

Enjoy The Silence by Depeche Mode
[youtube][/youtube]

Because by Dave Clark 5

[youtube][/youtube]
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

"New" Pink Floyd, which are studio outtakes from the Division Bell sessions with some overdubs, are actually pretty good. Very reminiscent of the Shine on You Crazy Diamond suite(?) from Wish You Were Here. I know Pink Floyd's a little mainstream for this thread, but I thought I would pass that along.

Also, I'm as big a Neil Young fan as you'll find. He has another album out this year, this one sung live with an orchestra. There is a deluxe edition with him performing the songs solo. I know it's blasphemy to criticize Young's wide creative swings, but the songs just aren't there for me. Even the last album - recorded in a 1940s direct to vinyl recording booth in Nashville - had some excellent songs. This one, not so much.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

I have yet to read anything positive about the new Neil Young album.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

FreeCandy44 wrote:As a Foo fan since the beginning, this list is 100% crap.
While I can't really disagree with their choice for #1 (I quoted the opening lyric when I proposed to Mrs Tif, and the acoustic version was our first dance at our reception), the top of the list is far too heavy on The Color and the Shape.

That said, my favorite Foo song is "Let It Die".
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

The first 2 albums are perfect but I mean every list has its flaws.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Speaking of Machine Head...

Sat Feb 7 @ Mr Smalls "An Evening With"
Tickets onsale this Friday

Oh niceeeeeeee.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Man, I had an opportunity to see the Foo Fighters on what had to be their first tour in 1995? With fIREHOSE and Hovercraft at the 40 Watt Club in Athens, GA. Like a couple hundred people max back then. My lazy friends wouldn't drive, so I missed it. Rats.