Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Let's talk about music

Post by Froggy »

Seeing GWAR in a couple hours. Finally, a band here that isn't all COOKIE MONSTER

I believe this is the 4th time I've seen them.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Speaking of cookie monster (aka ex Napalm Death), Godflesh mysteriously has a new record out:

[youtube][/youtube]

I've really enjoyed all of Justin Broderick's records as Jesu, so I'm not sure why he decided to return to the past, but whatvevs.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

I caught about 15 minutes of a band called Portal last night. Amazing stage show, but it was entirely too intense for me to deal with.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

FreeCandy44 wrote:So....is the new Slipknot album any good without Joey?
Their heaviest and best sounding since Iowa. Corey's voice is also better than the last couple as well. Likewise, so is the mix/production. They don't rely on a ton of catchy choruses like they clinged to death to on the last two. Trust me, Joey is not missed in the slightest on this album. There's some absolutely bulldozing songs I was shocked they still had in them. Joey was talented but he wasn't some Godlike drumming figure like Gene Hoglan is.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Its not Gwar without Brockie....

And im surprised you like stuff Columbia.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

BTW FreeCandy44 and anyone else interested, their Knotfest has been streaming all day and will tomorrow. Slipknot goes on 11 EST.

http://www.knotfest.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

cma3585 wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:So....is the new Slipknot album any good without Joey?
Their heaviest and best sounding since Iowa. Corey's voice is also better than the last couple as well. Likewise, so is the mix/production. They don't rely on a ton of catchy choruses like they clinged to death to on the last two. Trust me, Joey is not missed in the slightest on this album. There's some absolutely bulldozing songs I was shocked they still had in them. Joey was talented but he wasn't some Godlike drumming figure like Gene Hoglan is.
Iowa is a brutal album and probably still my fav, I may have to pick up the new album. I espically like the Negative One and Devil and I.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Let's talk about musi

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Hmm...Fear Factory, Devildriver, Hatebreed, Anthrax, Danzig, and Slipknot? Yes yes yes....this beats almost anything that Mayhem Fest pukes out every summer.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

Well, you already missed Fear Factory (don't worry, they're terrible live these days) and Hatebreed. BTW I was wrong, these are all PST times, not EST. So BLS on now, then Anthrax, then Danzig, then Slipknot.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

I saw Fear Factory live twice before. Once when they opened for Slayer back in the late 90s. They were decent but also at their height album wise with Obsolete. I remember Burtons vocals being decent, and once opening for Megadeth on Gigantour without Dino. This time around....just to darn loud.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

FreeCandy44 wrote:So...the Foo Fighters/Zac Brown cover of War Pigs is very meh.
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
Meh? Seriously? This was awesome
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

FreeCandy44 wrote:I saw Fear Factory live twice before. Once when they opened for Slayer back in the late 90s. They were decent but also at their height album wise with Obsolete. I remember Burtons vocals being decent, and once opening for Megadeth on Gigantour without Dino. This time around....just to darn loud.
Thing about Burton is at his peak he was average at best live. Now he's older and more out of shape and honestly it's almost cringeworthy hearing him trying to belt out those lower register vocals he used to trademark. Plus the big pile of manure that was The Industrialist totally turned me off of them probably for good. It was even worse than Digimortal and Transgression IMO.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Digimortal had its moments, but yes overall a bad album. Really the only thing ive enjoyed since Obsolete was the Nirvana cover of School.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

I thought Mechanized was an outstanding return to form and original sound. Top to bottom a solid album. Then they got lazy following that one and The Industrialist had that same old school style/sound they had yet none of the even average to good songwriting they displayed prior. Like they phoned the entire album in and wrote it in 3 days knowing at least the hardcore FF fans would buy it if nothing else.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I pretty much completely stopped following FF after Digimortal... what a disappointing album that was for me.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by cma3585 »

the wicked child wrote:I pretty much completely stopped following FF after Digimortal... what a disappointing album that was for me.
Try Archetype that followed Digimortal. Not the original Demanu/Obsolete sound but solid songwriting throughout, even if it was missing Dino. Mechanized as well was really good with Dino back and back to the Demanu/Obsolete sound. Industrialist was basically them milking their original sound with the most half-assed songwriting I've possibly ever heard by an established band in metal. That and they somehow figured using a drum machine would work well for a band that had two beasts of drummers prior.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

shafnutz05 wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:So...the Foo Fighters/Zac Brown cover of War Pigs is very meh.
Spoiler:
[youtube][/youtube]
Meh? Seriously? This was awesome

There were no flannel shirts or incomprehensible lyrics...
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Zakky messed up the words...you dont mess with a classic.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

GWAR was pretty great. The singer by committee set up was interesting, and totally worked for the plot of the show.

They also did a few hilariously tasteless tributes to Oderus.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

The one mix to rule them all...

CVS Bangers:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:Loving that new Foo Fighters song Something for Nothing....
I heard their next new song - Feast or Famine - on Grohl's HBO show. Good as well.
I love the way they took the local (to D.C.) influence of go-go rhythms and turned the beat throughout the song. Higher level stuff. Good eats.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Temple Of The Dog reunion?

[youtube][/youtube]
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Grungegasm! Bridge School Benefit always brings it...id pay so much cash for a Pearl Jam/Soundgarden tour. It be great to see Matt Cameron pull double duty as well.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:Loving that new Foo Fighters song Something for Nothing....
I heard their next new song - Feast or Famine - on Grohl's HBO show. Good as well.
I heard it today....excellent.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

So I just found out that Judas Priest is touring the world with Steel Panther as their special guest. SP is a sort of Spinal Tap parody band of hair metal groups. They write original material - "Fat Girl (Thar She Blows)", "Gloryhole", Asian Hooker" and "Community Property" (which is not about the division of marital assets....) - but also do covers during their set. Their shows at the Key Club and Viper Room are monstrously good fun: You are almost guaranteed to see more boobs at a SP show than at a strip club, and they are always bringing up special guests to play. I've seen them maybe five or six times, and they're an absolute riot.