Other NHL games 2014-2015 season

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Other NHL games 2014-2015 season

Post by PensFanInDC »

Snooty?

Snotty...
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Idoit40fans wrote:Most teams have a guy like him as the #2 center...or wish the did. The blackhawks come to mind immediately.

Second line center is rarely a "go-to guy".

He was offered #2 center money to play #3 center here, on a team that rarely saw the #1 and #2 centers play simultaneously for several seasons. Meaning he would have plenty of ice time as the #2 center throughout the season, plus #1 PK time, plus #2 PP time, regardless of who was healthy. My original assessment stands... he will never see a situation more advantageous to his style of play than what he had here. He was a perfect fit for the Pens, and the Pens were a perfect fit for him.
Last edited by Sigwolf on Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

I doubt any guy who really wants to be a #2, and has that option elsewhere, looks at the option involving his teammates getting injured to be #2 as a perfect fit.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

bhaw wrote:I doubt any guy who really wants to be a #2, and has that option elsewhere, looks at the option involving his teammates getting injured to be #2 as a perfect fit.
I give up. Being #2 on a team that is unlikely to accomplish anything is clearly better than being #3/sometimes #2, and important part of a team that will be a threat every year. Who wants to be a part of a team that has a legitimate chance to win the Stanley Cup year in an year out? It's clearly better to chase some personal glory on a crappy team (that isn't going to happen anyway when the spotlight is suddenly on you) than be a part of a team that wins, right? Not to mention, regardless of what he thinks was a perfect fit, the facts and stats show he was a perfect fit on the Pens. Players never make poor career decisions. I think I really must be too old to understand motivation in sports anymore. Now get off my lawn.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

Jordan Staal wrote:“Playing behind Sid and Geno (Evgeni Malkin) for so long,” Staal said, “I didn't know how it would end up. I wanted to test the waters.”
Jordan Staal wrote:“With Sid being out most of the year and me getting the opportunity to be more of an offensive guy,” Staal said, “I felt really comfortable in that role. I wanted to explore. I wanted to see if I could do some good things in that role. I wanted to challenge myself on a different team.”
http://triblive.com/sports/2084548-85/s ... enter-eric" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On a separate note:

Mike Green seems to be the biggest beneficiary of Barry Trotz thus far. 7 GP, 3G, 5A, +6. Only 1G, 0A on the PP; which in itself is a bad thing, but highlights how strong his ES production has been.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

I think Staal hadn't won a cup already his thought process might have been different. He had one a cup though, so he wanted to go play with is brother and get paid $$$$ to do so. His motivations at that point were more about family(and possibly having a bigger role in the offense) than winning another cup I think, and I totally get that.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by BurghersAndDogsSports »

Sigwolf wrote:
bhaw wrote:I doubt any guy who really wants to be a #2, and has that option elsewhere, looks at the option involving his teammates getting injured to be #2 as a perfect fit.
I give up. Being #2 on a team that is unlikely to accomplish anything is clearly better than being #3/sometimes #2, and important part of a team that will be a threat every year. Who wants to be a part of a team that has a legitimate chance to win the Stanley Cup year in an year out? It's clearly better to chase some personal glory on a crappy team (that isn't going to happen anyway when the spotlight is suddenly on you) than be a part of a team that wins, right? Not to mention, regardless of what he thinks was a perfect fit, the facts and stats show he was a perfect fit on the Pens. Players never make poor career decisions. I think I really must be too old to understand motivation in sports anymore. Now get off my lawn.
I don't think anyone disagrees with your assessment? Thats not what its about. But its Staal's life. If he wanted to play with his brother and be a number 2 center and get more ice time in that specific role its his choice.

I don't think the Pens nor Staal were wrong or handled the situation poorly. Both were well within their rights. He won a cup, he was getting his contract either way. If he so chooses to want more playing time, more 5 on 5 time,
and play a bigger role its 100% his prerogative.

Maybe he doesn't value a cup as much as he values getting more/different types of ice times. Maybe him and Eric are BFFs and always dreamt of playing together since they were kids, maybe Staal just simply was tired of
being asked to play the shutdown role specifically.

Who cares? His life, his choice. While I wish we still had Staal its not like the Pens didn't get some long term value for him.
he made his choice, it was his choice. Time to move on.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Desiato »

Let's not forget that the dynasty didn't happen. Maybe Jordan didn't expect it to.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Ya know, I'll tell ya...Chris Kreider is gonna get his lunch fed to him one of these days...ya know, say what you will about the goalie run-ins last year, he speared Andrei Markov in the fundament the other night...he was just tossed for a pretty ugly boarding incident on Jonas Brodin...

This is where we need a Milan Lucic type to go, "enough is enough" and feed him a catered tray of knuckle sandwiches...Eric Lindros taught Joe Thornton a lesson a lot of years ago and it straightened Joe right up, maybe too much...as he lost all of his power forward persona...but Kreider better be careful...Downie, Lucic, these guys won't be so forgiving of this...
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by tfrizz »

mikey287 wrote:Ya know, I'll tell ya...Chris Kreider is gonna get his lunch fed to him one of these days...ya know, say what you will about the goalie run-ins last year, he speared Andrei Markov in the fundament the other night...he was just tossed for a pretty ugly boarding incident on Jonas Brodin...

This is where we need a Milan Lucic type to go, "enough is enough" and feed him a catered tray of knuckle sandwiches...Eric Lindros taught Joe Thornton a lesson a lot of years ago and it straightened Joe right up, maybe too much...as he lost all of his power forward persona...but Kreider better be careful...Downie, Lucic, these guys won't be so forgiving of this...
Maybe he can throw a dirty hit on Adams, then Downie takes him to the knuckle sandwich buffet.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

For those that aren't watching here is the moving picture:

mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Now John Moore has been sequestered for the contest for a head hit on Erik Haula...another 5 minute major PP for the Wild...they have zero PP goals tonight, and all season...
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Staggy »

I was just coming in to say how much I'm looking forward to the day Kreider gets beaten to a pulp after one of his stunts finally pushes someone over the edge. Dude's out of control out there, solid player but man is he sneaky dirty.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

mikey287 wrote:Now John Moore has been sequestered for the contest for a head hit on Erik Haula...another 5 minute major PP for the Wild...they have zero PP goals tonight, and all season...
Yeoh
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

Wild about to blow a 3-0 lead?
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Yes.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

Yup
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Wow.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

5 goals in the 3rd for the Rags.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

The Wild had given up only 6 in 6 games so far.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

From yesterday's Sharks-Ducks game (and Puck Daddy), the continuing misadventures of awful NHL referee Tim Peel

[youtube][/youtube]
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

lol Boudreau.

C'mere!
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Anyone else with DirecTV not getting any Center Ice games in HD?
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

The way the flyers just won is so...typical...

I...hate...that...team!!!
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

They did it against 17 skaters too...Kings only had 17 and 2 dressed due to cap restrictions...