Is Eric Staal on the trading block?

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Is Eric Staal on the trading block?

Post by Big Easy Pens Fan »

NHLN posed this question last night. Apparently the Leafs are interested. Now E. Staal has a no movement clause. Doesn't seem like this is a trade for the near future, but could it be something for the trade deadline? Where there's smoke there's fire. And if he does get moved to Toronto or wherever, would Jordan be a "throw-in"? :roll:

BEPF
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Is Eric Staal on the trading block?

Post by Idoit40fans »

This isn't pens related? His brother once played for the Pens...

I wonder what they could get out of Toronto. It would be a lot.
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Big Easy Pens Fan »

Idoit40fans wrote:This isn't pens related? His brother once played for the Pens...

This reminds me that whoever he might be playing for, never to place a thread re Jagr in the Pens forum. :lol: Oh wait, maybe it is time for the admins to make a "Jagr Related Forum." :idea:

BEPF
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Bruins beat Wings last night in a shootout.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Poor jordon
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Nah....he chose his fate in CAR.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

DudeMan2766 wrote:Bruins beat Wings last night in a shootout.
:lol:
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Idoit40fans wrote:This isn't pens related? His brother once played for the Pens...

I feel like this is where the NHL gets it wrong. They pay for prior value and prior deeds but don't get the world class player. Isn't Staal more akin to Lecavalier a couple years ago than he is to the Staal that won the cup?
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

E.Staal is not yet 30. His stats look like those of a player on the decline, but he's been stuck in the morass of Carolina. Obviously, a Tor wouldn't pay top price for him, but they'd still pay a hefty price. #1 centers don't hit the market very often. And it's not like we're talking about a 35 year old Joe Thornton.

As far as paying for prior value, that's the way it was pre lockout for sure. Things have changed now, as GM's who pay for prior value lose their jobs. #evilshero
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

I think they'd be better off with Thornton...why not get a playmaking center in that group...I mean Bozak is fine, but he's like Jan Hrdina to Jagr not Francis to Jagr...Kadri is a puckhog with no clue...but all those shooters, Kessel, JVR, Lupul, even Phaneuf...get a distributor, no? They seem like they want "new Sundin" instead of what makes more sense...not that Thornton is the best add given his age, but still...

They're close, they have an all-world goalie, they have some really terrific puck movers on the back end, Gardiner, Rielly, Stuart Percy has looked great so far, they have a nice collection of wingers...but their center depth is just - what...
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

mikey287 wrote:they have an all-world goalie
Do they have someone I don't know about?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Don't be coy with me, meow...Jonathan Bernier rules and you know it.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

I wouldn't call him world class...
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Yeah, coyness is nice and coyness can stop you from saying all the things in life you'd like to.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

The only thing world class about Bernier is his wardrobe. What a dresser.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

If Tor wanted a puck-distributor, they could have had Spezza. Maybe they should have gone that route... Thornton would fit right in there with Kessel. And that's not a compliment.

Staal though would give them the ability to control the center of the ice, which is precisely what they're lacking. JVR-Staal-Kessel?

I wonder also if EDM might make a play for Eric (and Jordan?). St Petersburgh isn't so far away from Edm in Canadian miles.

Hmm, mega blockbuster crap against the wall: Staal bros for Eberle and Draisatl?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

pcm wrote:If Tor wanted a puck-distributor, they could have had Spezza.
That's assuming Ottawa would've wanted to trade him within the division, let alone the conference. I'm fairly certain they wanted to send him to the West.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

meow wrote:The only thing world class about Bernier is his wardrobe. What a dresser.
How can you not like Jonathan Bernier? Don't tell me you like that clown job James Reimer...he's the mayor of ass town. Bernier has hybrid leanings, so that's why I like him. He tracks the puck and makes butterfly a save selection instead of just a go-to...and for the number aficionados, he had that save pct. on one of the poorer defensive groups in the circuit...he's literally the reason the Leafs were competitive last year. The reason why they missed the playoffs? Reimer played 12 of the last 14 or something...and then they lost.

Share your thoughts, you should like him...watch some HNIC tape from last season, he's hot...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

MRandall25 wrote:
pcm wrote:If Tor wanted a puck-distributor, they could have had Spezza.
That's assuming Ottawa would've wanted to trade him within the division, let alone the conference. I'm fairly certain they wanted to send him to the West.
Yeah, I can't imagine Ottawa wanted to send their non-Alfy franchise player down the street just for to come back and wreck up the place...that doesn't seem likely...

Not to mention, the Sens might have had a thing for Alex Chiasson...do the Leafs have a comparable player, I'd say no. Big, entry-level playmaking winger with NHL experience...I can't think of who that is on the Leafs...so I'm not sure they could have wrestled Spezza away...also, Spezza said - IIRC - he wouldn't go to a Canadian team...is that someone else? I think he wanted out of the spotlight...
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

mikey287 wrote:
meow wrote:The only thing world class about Bernier is his wardrobe. What a dresser.
How can you not like Jonathan Bernier? Don't tell me you like that clown job James Reimer...he's the mayor of ass town. Bernier has hybrid leanings, so that's why I like him. He tracks the puck and makes butterfly a save selection instead of just a go-to...and for the number aficionados, he had that save pct. on one of the poorer defensive groups in the circuit...he's literally the reason the Leafs were competitive last year. The reason why they missed the playoffs? Reimer played 12 of the last 14 or something...and then they lost.

Share your thoughts, you should like him...watch some HNIC tape from last season, he's hot...
Reimer is governor of poopooville. Straight garbage. Bernier has more to give. Physically, he has all the tools. Great tracking, athletic, unbelievable reflexes and anticipation. But the soft goals, man. Way too many soft goals to be a top tier tender.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

Being better than the alternative on your team doesnt make you all world. Although id love bernier on my team any time. Physically he leaves nothing to be desired.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

Yeah, I didn't mean to compare him to Reimer...that's an insult. He's all-world on his own accord, Reimer makes him look even better is all. But my feeling is on these different goalies: Brodeur, Bernier, Stalock, etc. that these goals aren't necessarily soft, they're just...different. I mean, Brodeur will give up more low goals, low, wide-side goals than most guys in the league...but no one is making a highlight reel of saves where guys go upstairs and it plunks right off his shoulder...a place where a butterfly goalie would have dropped down already, he's there, making a save...

So, I'll defer to you on the point, but I want to put that out there...Alex Stalock is going to take over for Antti Niemi at some point soon, and he's going to give up a long goal, low, wide-side and people are going to think he's bad...but it's the same logic that people think that every goalie in the 80's was horrid...they watch a highlight tape of Gretzky goals, they see zero saves and assume that goalies gave up goals on every shot...there's no highlight reels of easy save by Brodeur, a few of which, most goalies aren't there for...
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meow »

Funny you should mention Stalock. I was talking to some old teammate the other day about him. When you play against certain players, you can see when they have next level abilities. I have never been on the ice where the other goalie has battled as hard as Stalock did. He gave every ounce of energy he had to stop every shot. There won't be any books written about his technique, but boy, that dude can stop pucks.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pcm »

Bernier and Schneider are the 2 most over-hyped goalies in the league.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Bathgate »

Malkin and Sutter for Staal and Staal. Any takers?