How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by skullman80 »

If you have any basic knowledge of how stuff works, even minimal computer/phone knowledge...its really really really hard to F it up.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

slappybrown wrote:I have never camped out for a phone and never will. But this all sounds like more trouble than its worth, particularly given the risks set forth above (similarly, I have not and would not jailbreak my iPhone).
It's just been entertaining - I drive by the mall with the Manhattan Beach Apple store every morning, and all three weekdays since the iPhone 6 was released there has been a line.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Why dont people just order it online and have it shipped to your door next-day?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

mac5155 wrote:Why dont people just order it online and have it shipped to your door next-day?
Because it's the experience, man. The. Experience. :lol:
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Reveling in their unemployment, I suppose :lol:
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Decided to take advantage of the Samsung $200 garunteed trade in and pre ordered by wife the Note 4 and I'm taking her Note 3. I have a funny feeling I'm going to get a Gear watch because the phone is so big I'll want something to check things without taking the phone out of my pocket.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Okay, this is becoming annoying.

Asus TF700T tablet running 4.2.1 Jelly Bean. Had to do a factory reset a few months ago, and up until about two weeks ago everything was fine. Now all of a sudden things have started to act funky. Google Maps frequently just launches itself for no reason, and some apps (all from Google) steadfastly refuse to update. They will download a certain percent of the file and then just hang. Google+ and YouTube go to 38%, Hangouts and Play Newsstand go to 75%. I cannot launch Hangouts (there is no longer an icon for it on device anywhere, and it will not launch directly out of Play Store.) There also is no option to uninstall Hangouts, but there is for the other three, and for about six days in a row before Google apps would hang during download when Hangouts tried to update it would finish and then say "Package file invalid."

Also, the device will not shutdown without doing a hard reset, and there have been at least two occasions where the device became unresponsive while trying to update the aforementioned Google apps and stayed frozen all the way until the battery drained to 0.

I have cleared the Play cache and data.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

go on the xda forums and post in the thread for your tablet. i would clear the cache and data for each of the google apps, its not going to matter anyways since they all backup automatically unless you aren't syncing.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Microsoft earned $1 billion from Samsung Android patent licensing last year
http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/4/69067 ... -royalties" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

knives of ice wrote:go on the xda forums and post in the thread for your tablet. i would clear the cache and data for each of the google apps, its not going to matter anyways since they all backup automatically unless you aren't syncing.
Yeah, I did a full factory reset yesterday to no avail. Checking xda now, but it looks like this combination of eff ups is unique. Yay me.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I'm looking for a recommendation on a tablet. I have no interest in reading books electronically, so I've already ruled out the KIndle.

SInce you can get a Chromebook for $200 (and I really don't need a laptop), I'm thinking in the sub $100 range.

thx
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

A sub $100 tabnlet is only really good for browsing the internet painfully slow and reading books.

What do you want to do with it?
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Yeah you aren't getting a decent tablet for under 100$.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

DelPen wrote:A sub $100 tabnlet is only really good for browsing the internet painfully slow and reading books.

Browse the Internet (on a larger screen than my phone), while sitting on the couch.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

columbia wrote:
DelPen wrote:A sub $100 tabnlet is only really good for browsing the internet painfully slow and reading books.

Browse the Internet (on a larger screen than my phone), while sitting on the couch.
Edit: Didn't see the "on a larger screen than my phone" part.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Im a little behind the times, is there any major differences between the Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Not a huge difference, no. But the 4 brought a lot of bloatware that meant if you got the 16 gb version you were leaving the store with half the device storage being sucked up with pre-installed junk.

The jump from the 3 to the 5 is pretty big, however. And the 5 doesn't have the bloatware issue. (Especially true for VZN customers)
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

columbia wrote:

I'd start chekcing Craigslist for a good Galaxy Tab 2 or 3 in 10.1", there have been a couple new versions so you should be able to find one of the older models in good shape for that much. Brand new you will only find garbage in the price range.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

tifosi77 wrote:
knives of ice wrote:go on the xda forums and post in the thread for your tablet. i would clear the cache and data for each of the google apps, its not going to matter anyways since they all backup automatically unless you aren't syncing.
Yeah, I did a full factory reset yesterday to no avail. Checking xda now, but it looks like this combination of eff ups is unique. Yay me.
Followed XDA recommendations, to no avail. Attempting my first custom ROM flash tonight. Woohoo.

When I start the tablet from power off, the first thing that happens is I start getting error messages that this and that Google service has stopped. Seriously, unlock the screen and bam "Unfortunately, Google Maps has stopped working." OK. "Unfortunately, Google Text to Speak has stopped working." OK. "Unfortunately, Gmail has stopped working." OK. "Unfortunately......" and so on. Always Maps and Text to Speak first and second, in that order. And the shenanigans with this device first started when Maps began randomly launching itself unprompted all the time.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Also, I reading about this device I found out that ASUS isn't going to be updating the firmware any further. Which means Android 4.2.1 is the highest OS I'll ever run on it. I think I should just bite the bullet and get a new tab.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

My wifes Note 4 came today and wow, it is nice. The new Touchwiz interface is much better than the Note3/S4 version. Really like the transparent stock widgets now for weather, calendar and S Health. The metal edges are a huge improvement over the plastic in the 3. And the screen is amazing. I'm taking her old Note 3, I like my Moto G but it's really starting to feel like a $200 phone, so if you have someone on a family plan that getting a Note 3 would be an upgrade as a hand me down it's worth upgrading to the Note 4.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

My wife skipped over the note 4 for the LGG3... it's in the ups sort facility, and she's out if town all week. So guess who gets to play with it first
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

DelPen wrote:My wifes Note 4 came today and wow, it is nice. The new Touchwiz interface is much better than the Note3/S4 version. Really like the transparent stock widgets now for weather, calendar and S Health. The metal edges are a huge improvement over the plastic in the 3. And the screen is amazing. I'm taking her old Note 3, I like my Moto G but it's really starting to feel like a $200 phone, so if you have someone on a family plan that getting a Note 3 would be an upgrade as a hand me down it's worth upgrading to the Note 4.

I keep going back and forth on upgrading to a new phone. I'm using a razr m and I love the size, but these Notes really intrigue me. I'm a little concerned about the size and fit in a pocket. Other than that, how is their camera?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

eddysnake wrote:
DelPen wrote:My wifes Note 4 came today and wow, it is nice. The new Touchwiz interface is much better than the Note3/S4 version. Really like the transparent stock widgets now for weather, calendar and S Health. The metal edges are a huge improvement over the plastic in the 3. And the screen is amazing. I'm taking her old Note 3, I like my Moto G but it's really starting to feel like a $200 phone, so if you have someone on a family plan that getting a Note 3 would be an upgrade as a hand me down it's worth upgrading to the Note 4.

I keep going back and forth on upgrading to a new phone. I'm using a razr m and I love the size, but these Notes really intrigue me. I'm a little concerned about the size and fit in a pocket. Other than that, how is their camera?
Camera is great, best Samsung puts out. They are really thin so the will fit in pockets pretty well.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

Great, we have people with Note4 and with LG G3, both the ones I am looking at.

My S3 is awful in daylight while walking - do both those phones hold up outside in sunlight in terms of brightness?