How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by mac5155 »

Lol. Did you see that dude in Australia drop his brand new phone on live TV?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

so good
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Can't wait for the Will it Blend? iPhone 6 edition. :lol:

[youtube][/youtube]
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

mac5155 wrote:Lol. Did you see that dude in Australia drop his brand new phone on live TV?
What I read was that was the very first iPhone 6 sold in the whole world.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

[youtube][/youtube]
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

https://samsunggalaxypromotions.com/note4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Samsung essentially making all tradeins for a Note 4 $200 cutting a check for the difference of what your carrier is giving you. Wasn't going to upgrde my wife's Note 3 but I have a galaxy Light I can get full price back on collecting dust and I'm sure I could sell her Note 3 for a few hundred on craigslist if I need to.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

:lol:
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

I got my Galaxy S4 a few months before the S5 came out. By no means am I a phone snob where I need to have the latest and greatest (which is why I didn't wait for the S5). That being said, I despise the S4. Always had Motorola smart phones before this one, and LG phones pre-smart phone era and loved them all. The S4 is so buggy. It freezes / crashes all the time. The battery stinks. And half of the memory that came with the phone is eaten up by a bunch of crap you cant uninstall unless you root the phone (which Ive never done). /rant
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

That's the main thing I don't like abouit Samsung, Touchwiz and the bloatware added. If you have 32 GB internal and can add a 64 gb SD card on a Note then you can solve the problem by disabling apps and adding a better launcher. 16GB or less S4 not using an SD card? tough.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:I got my Galaxy S4 a few months before the S5 came out. By no means am I a phone snob where I need to have the latest and greatest (which is why I didn't wait for the S5). That being said, I despise the S4. Always had Motorola smart phones before this one, and LG phones pre-smart phone era and loved them all. The S4 is so buggy. It freezes / crashes all the time. The battery stinks. And half of the memory that came with the phone is eaten up by a bunch of crap you cant uninstall unless you root the phone (which Ive never done). /rant

but this is the great thing about android - all of your problems could be easily fixed if you wanted to take the time to figure it out.

with android any problem you can think of that you don't like most likely there is a solution if you want to take the time to search about it
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Is this still an issue with Android phones? I have an iPhone and am trying to decide if I should switch over, but have heard that the issues with the software have gotten better. I'm not really inclined to spend any time "fixing" the phone or rooting it. My phone is one thing I just want to plug and play and be done with, and I haven't had any issues with iPhones in that respect (recognizing that its a far more restrictive phone).
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

DelPen wrote:That's the main thing I don't like abouit Samsung, Touchwiz and the bloatware added. If you have 32 GB internal and can add a 64 gb SD card on a Note then you can solve the problem by disabling apps and adding a better launcher. 16GB or less S4 not using an SD card? tough.
That's the deal, tho. The customer feedback on the S4 bloatware was so bad that they removed nearly all of it on the S5. All those features are still accessible (does anyone actually use them?) through a web portal.

There are still things like the Verizon stuff, and Amazon stuff comes pre-installed. But the bulk of the bloatware is carrier-specific. It only became an issue on Samsung when they started doing a lot of their own apps (which were often redundant to the carrier apps). And that coupled with the new Kit Kat prohibition to installing 3rd party apps to the SD card meant that if you got the smaller version of the phone you lost like half of your device storage before you ever even unboxed the thing.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

slappybrown wrote:Is this still an issue with Android phones? I have an iPhone and am trying to decide if I should switch over, but have heard that the issues with the software have gotten better. I'm not really inclined to spend any time "fixing" the phone or rooting it. My phone is one thing I just want to plug and play and be done with, and I haven't had any issues with iPhones in that respect (recognizing that its a far more restrictive phone).
"Yeah, but if you open up an SSH connection to your phone over the LAN, you'll be able to solve that...."

I kid, but only slightly.

I'm getting an iPhone in December (partially because of the charging issues I've had) in an effort to keep the companies honest. No one should be able to just expect my business.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

I thought even the staunchest apple supporters concede that samsung and the like have better batteries with superior life compared to apple?
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

slappybrown wrote:I thought even the staunchest apple supporters concede that samsung and the like have better batteries with superior life compared to apple?

they do, if you have abnormal battery drain its likely because of a 3rd party app preventing your phone from going into deep sleep.

also, if you have interest in rooting your phone it has never ever been easier.

download towel root apk and run it

https://towelroot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

go to the store and get supersu

then go to the store and download titanium backup and remove any apps you don't want.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I had a post half written about the carrier specific bloatware (and didn't post it, which happens a lot for me here for some reason :lol: ). The S3 has some Samsung crap, but mostly it's the Verizon apps that I don't want/need/can't remove. I'm almost at the end of my life cycle with this phone - two years next month - so I'm not looking to root, but is rooting for the Verizon S3 easier now than at launch? It was difficult or more difficult than previous Android phones to root.

Probably going to look at the S5 or maybe the Note 3. I have a feeling the Note might be too big for me.

Anyone use Straight Talk Wireless? I hate HATE HATE giving more of my money to Wal-mart, but $50 unlimited everything a month might just be worth it, if I keep the S3 a while longer.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

How much of a pain is it to root an android phone?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Really depends on the phone. There's an app called towelroot which you download and run and it rooted my Verizon S4. It should work for just about any android phone that's not a HTC or Moto and has 4.4 kitkat installed. After that it's worth buying Titanium Backup Pro and then you should be able to backup and delete bloatware. Verizon S4 on jellybean was pretty easy too using a root you run from a PC.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Doing all of that sounds awful.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

slappybrown wrote:Doing all of that sounds awful.
search for towelroot apk. download. install. phone is rooted. do what you want. That's awful?
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

What are the pros and cons of rooting a phone?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Loaf31 wrote:What are the pros and cons of rooting a phone?
Only cons are voiding carrier and manufacturer warranties and you can brick you phone if you don't know what you are doing.

Pros though, you can delete almost anything off the phone you don't want, save and run apps from SD card, and load your own custom firmwares which is what mpost people who root want to do. I haven't tried that yet though.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

DelPen wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Doing all of that sounds awful.
search for towelroot apk. download. install. phone is rooted. do what you want. That's awful?
That sounds exhausting.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Good lord, at the absolute most it only takes 8-10 minutes, most of which is passive. Compare that to the amount of time spent in line at the iFool store to get the 'experience' out of the box.

Granted, I have never actually rooted a phone before. But it's more out of a lack of desire rather than being put off by it.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

I have never camped out for a phone and never will. But this all sounds like more trouble than its worth, particularly given the risks set forth above (similarly, I have not and would not jailbreak my iPhone).