Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Let's talk about music

Post by tifosi77 »

viva la ben wrote:Vulvatron.
Some amazing Google Image results that have nothing to do with music.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Boss Overdrive, Boss Chorus, Boss Flanger.

Skin man, not an ax man. Know enough guitar to where I could earn a living selling, playing with friends and basic studio work.

Question for the group here. I have a Tascam Digital 8 track recorder that records to discs. I bought it on a whim thinking I would have more time recording than I do. However, the unit is too large to fit in the perfect area where there is space that I could leave it hooked up, so I am searching for a all-inclusive PC home studio recorder that has built in effects (must have the guitar basics) and a built in drum composer. I still have my original Roland TR 707 and TR 727 drum machines if needed.

Does anyone here have any thoughts, comments, recommendations, experience with a PC home recording studio?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

What is your budget?

Nuendo and Pro Tools are great programs. Cubase is cheaper and just as effective depending on what kind of recording you are doing.

I have one of these:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/344551.html

I use it with Cubase AI5 and it works great. I just do simple home recordings. Guitar, bass, maybe some vocals. You can write drum tracks on a map using Cubase if you want to, which I do.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Post by BigMcK »

Are you using outboard effects? My goal is to plug the guitar straight into the PC and let the software allow me to add effects, mix, bounce tracks if needed, overdub, or lay down a track of rhythm guitar and then a track of lead...

Drum loops that can be strung together would be ideal, but not needed as I know how to program the TR 707 for a song.

Any ideas on cost? I haven't really even started thinking about a budget. $500 gets ???
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I got my rig for about $280 2 years ago.

I use my POD for effects but the software has TONS of effects bundles you can buy. You get a few with the base software but I would recommend "buying" some packs if you want more.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MRandall25 »

tifosi77 wrote:I'd like to try building a guitar. I remember I had my parts all sorted and selected for a Warmouth body/neck build when I was like 22, but stuff kept cropping up and taking my money. And by 'stuff' I mean hockey.
MRandall25 wrote:I currently have this in black.
How do you like the sensor pickups? For some reason (and it may just be an aesthetic thing) I've always kind of had an aversion to them.
They're good, I guess. In comparison, I've only had a Cort (not sure if they even make those anymore) and an Epiphone, so I don't really know what good pickups sound like en vivo.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

viva la ben wrote:Gwar has a new lead singer, Vulvatron.
Actually the new singer is Blothar who would be ex bassist Mike Bishop.
Last edited by FreeCandy44 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

A friend had a really good home studio setup that was centered around a Roland 16-track board and a V-Drum controller lent to her by the drummer. She recorded direct to HDD, and the software/board combo had the ability to do up to (iirc) 48 virtual tracks. I forget the software that she used (Cakewalk?), but it was a ton of fun producing and mixing on that rig.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by BigMcK »

About 15 years ago I received a copy of Cakewalk from a buddy that earns a good portion of his money from recording TV and radio commercial jingles. I tried loading it onto my PC but the software kept crashing my system. Not enough power or memory to load.

Professional recoding software does not work well on cheap Dell desktop.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Yeah, I think her rig was more of a 'prosumer' type affair. She ran it with a Mac G4 (this was 15 years ago) she got specifically for the purpose of home recording. Her band (Lift Off) would always do holiday songs and they'd actually get some airplay on KROQ. Was always fun hearing that, knowing the song was recorded in her living room. :lol:
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I'm not quite up to dat eon the software things, but I always really liked CoolEdit, which morphed into Adobe Audition, for basic home recordings. 128 tracks of infinite length, very intuitive interface and more than enough plugins to mess with the sound of a dry recorded instrument (after the fact). No drum machine capabilities, however. Things have changed a lot since then, what with amp simulators and all patch bay stuff available in something like Reason.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

Man alive, I've missed a really solid gear discussion.

For pedals, I'd go Boss BD-2, DD-3, and CS-3...maybe a Holy Grail... through my Hagstrom Viking and into my AC-30 that I never get to play anymore.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

I decided to be nice and let me boss borrow my RHCP Stadium Arcadium cd. His "dog ate it" and he has yet to replace it.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

My first impression of the new Drums album is that they're about to follow the career path of Franz Ferdinand, The Strokes, Maximo Park, and many others. Excellent first album followed by a lot of rubbish.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

Happy 80th birthday, Leonard Cohen.

[youtube][/youtube]
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

AC/DC: Malcolm Young will not return to the band
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29345368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube][/youtube]
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

My birthday is April 7, 1973. I am only seven months older than AC/DC.

Haven't been able to find any verified reports of what ails him, but pretty much every outlet claims it's not just that he's sick but that it's quite serious.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Absolutely terrible news. Malcolm Young has been moved to a full-time care nursing home due to suffering from dementia :(

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/mus ... 0m1hs.html
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Channeling AC/DC:

[youtube][/youtube]
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Channeling AC/DC:

[youtube][/youtube]
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Channeling AC/DC:

[youtube][/youtube]
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

^ My friend bought this record right after it came out and we :cough: enjoyed it quite a bit.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

shafnutz05 wrote:Absolutely terrible news. Malcolm Young has been moved to a full-time care nursing home due to suffering from dementia :(

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/mus ... 0m1hs.html
Dang :(
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Gaucho wrote:My first impression of the new Drums album is that they're about to follow the career path of Franz Ferdinand, The Strokes, Maximo Park, and many others. Excellent first album followed by a lot of rubbish.
listened to most of it today. pretty boring.

The new Tweedy is enjoyable. Iceage took an interesting direction with their new album. Ty Segall's is pretty much a continuation of what he's been doing. The Julian Casablancas album is bad, Maybe I just don't "get it" but I don't really like the Aphex Twin album. I think the new King Tuff is enjoyable, and the alt-J is boring.

Unsolicited first impressions, courtesy Troy Loney.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

New Thom Yorke album.