How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

My family (iSlave owners, all of them) already makes fun of me for the "huge" S3 that I have...can't imagine Thanksgiving dinner conversation with a Note 3. :lol:
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:My family (iSlave owners, all of them) already makes fun of me for the "huge" S3 that I have...can't imagine Thanksgiving dinner conversation with a Note 3. :lol:
Which is funny, because all new iphones will be 4.7 or 5.5 inches, they will look huge next to an iphone 5 and enormous to a 4.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

The Galaxy series of phones are the correct size for a smartphone. Even Apple has recognized this, speaking to DelPen's comment. The original iPhone's size was the biggest reason why I never wanted one, not my abject hatred of all things Apple. It just always struck me as completely silly to have a device that was capable of all this wonderful stuff, but with a frontal area smaller than the palm of my hand.

There was a guy with a Note in the lobby of my building this morning. They are large.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

My wife used to make fun of me for my huge phone (S2), and wanting a Note until the GS5 came out. Then she saw how awesome the screen is, how you can basically use it to watch movies, how you can have 2 windows up at once, etc etc and.. well now she wants a LG G3 which IIRC is about as big as the Note :lol:
joeyg412
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by joeyg412 »

Thinking about switching from Verizon to Sprint. Anybody have any issues and or insight regard Sprint's service?
Gabe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Gabe »

I am totally satisfied with Sprint. We are still grandfathered in under the old plan where everything, all the time, is unlimited. Really good customer service and I've never had any issues.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Is it true that you use VZW/ATT towers to roam? I've always been told it's horrible outside of the metro areas.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Post by Pitt87 »

Gabe wrote:I am totally satisfied with Sprint. We are still grandfathered in under the old plan where everything, all the time, is unlimited. Really good customer service and I've never had any issues.
They seem to take care of good customers that don't cost them too much money. VZW is far and away better service nationwide (i travel a lot, which is why I have left for every other carrier and always come back) but they are also far and away the highest cost, cagey about policies, and virtually no help when a sale isn't pending.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Amazon Instant Video coming to all android devices as soon as today and Google Hangouts updated to have an outbound dialer to make free VoIP calls with your google voice number. Works pretty well, using it on my Note 10.1 to call in to conference calls.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by yubb »

When will Amazon Instant Video work with Chromecast? Works with Roku now.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

About frickin' time we get AIV. I noticed the Hangouts update, but didn't see that feature. Thanks for the heads up.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

You need to download a seperate Hangouts Dialer app if the number isn't in your contacts. Kind of makes Tmobile's "Uncarrier" presentation useless now because Google is giving this to everyone for free, even on iOS (not sure about Windows and BB but who uses those?). This is great for me because I am loving the Motorola phones that have stock Android and for the price they can't be beat.

On my Note 10.1 AIV is really choppy, I think they are letting the web feed through and not optimizing it for Android.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I'm only seeing an AIV app for Google TV in the Play store - it's not compatible with my device and was last updated in March. I can't even install it on my S3.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

it's built into the regular Amazon store app now.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

I've had a bit of a rough patch with Verizon and I'm thinking about switching to ATT. Has anyone ever done this while still under contract with Verizon?

Also, this Note phone looks intriguing, what exactly is it compared to the galaxy?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

eddysnake wrote:I've had a bit of a rough patch with Verizon and I'm thinking about switching to ATT. Has anyone ever done this while still under contract with Verizon?

Also, this Note phone looks intriguing, what exactly is it compared to the galaxy?
If you are under contract you will need to pay an ETF which is usually a minimum of $150 if you are close to your end date or as high as $300. Sprint and T-Mobile will pay your ETF if you move to them.

The Note is a galaxy device, comapred to a S series it's essentially bigger (5.2" vs 5.7") and has a stylus. The thing is really big.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Yeah, the S series phones are about as big as I'll go for a phone. The Note is really more of a small tablet that you can make calls on.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Thanks all, while I like the idea of having a bigger phone (razr m now) for work related items and browsing at the house, I'm not sure I'd like hauling that around (although maybe that's a good way to get away from it)
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

My wife wants the LG G3... amazon has it for 50 bucks but we'd lose the unlimited data. Does att price match?
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

DelPen wrote:The thing is really big.
twss

Sorry.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

I love my Note 3. As long as it fits in my pocket, I am fine with the size.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

The G3 is 5.5" but doesn't feel too big. The trimmed the bezels down to almost nothin and put the button on the back which makes navigating much easier.

I'd think about getting that but holding off until phones supporting T-Mobile's new band 12 LTE are released which sadly the new iPhones don't, might look back to them for the 6s next year or look at the Moto G LTE refresh in the summer if my current G LTE slos down.

Speaking of the G, besdies finding one app that cause constant memory crashes (M-Go which lets you agregate your ultraviolet movies) this phones is great. 4.5" size is gret for one hand and ironically enough I sold my S4 a week before I broke my hand to get thisand it's the best size for 1 handed use.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by DropEmJayBird »

Up for a new phone - question on the Note and the stylus.

Does the stylus software allow you to write and transcribe that hand written line into any text area?

For example, if you have a text message, can you just use the stylus, open up the pad, write something, and click transcribe to put it in the next....

and can you do that for anything that has text entry, google hangout chat, browser url, etc etc.?
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

DropEmJayBird wrote:Up for a new phone - question on the Note and the stylus.

Does the stylus software allow you to write and transcribe that hand written line into any text area?

For example, if you have a text message, can you just use the stylus, open up the pad, write something, and click transcribe to put it in the next....

and can you do that for anything that has text entry, google hangout chat, browser url, etc etc.?
For the most part, yes. A little pencil icon will appear when this is available. Once you click it, a note pad will appear and you write. It will then transcribe it into the app that you are using.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I was actually late to work this morning because I was stuck in a traffic jam created by iFools queuing up for their new gilded lily.