Car thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Car thread

Post by mac5155 »

I have the wide ovals on my accord, it's only a 16 inch rim
They're about 320 for 4, but my uncle owns a tire shop.. I'd say 380-400 a set is a safe bet.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Over the years my car has been shod in tires from Michelin (1 set regular; 1 set snow), Avon (1 set regular), B.F. Goodrich (1 set regular), General (2 sets regular), and Vredestein (1 set snow).
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Continental DWS for spring/summer/fall and Nokian studded winter tires is the correct answer.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Factorial »

Willie Kool wrote:Continental DWS for spring/summer/fall and Nokian studded winter tires is the correct answer.
I thought studded tires were illegal in PA?

I remember listening to a discussion on whether they should be outlawed when John Cigna was the night time talk show host on KDKA. :slug:
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

Speaking of tires, are Goodyear Duratracs worth the money? A set of 4 is going to cost me over a grand for my Wrangler (285/70/17s). I feel sick about that kind of money on tires.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

Factorial wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:Continental DWS for spring/summer/fall and Nokian studded winter tires is the correct answer.
I thought studded tires were illegal in PA?
Studs are legal (and almost necessary up here in NW PA) from November 1 - April 15. I'd seriously hate to face my winter commute without them.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

I remember having studs on winter tires on my moms Dodge Caravan. Sounded like an M1 Abrams rolling down the road.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

I ended up with a brand new Dodge Caravan 2 or something like that from Enterprise while I'm on business. It's a super sweet vehicle, but I will never own a minivan in my life.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

The one I was referencing was a 92, but yea we had a 2013 to take on a trip to nashville in January. It wasn't the worst vehicle I've ever driven but I felt like such a soccer dad driving it.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

mac5155 wrote:I remember having studs on winter tires on my moms Dodge Caravan. Sounded like an M1 Abrams rolling down the road.
:lol: Yeah, the old studs were pretty rough. Nokian has a design that significantly reduces the noise and road damage.

[youtube][/youtube]
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Put my M6 up for sale. Got two people with cash interested, and a compelling offer to trade up for an old BMW bike that I wanted years ago. The cash offers obviously win, but it's weird that someone would pop up with that bike. I'm selling to make my move easier so trading a big coupe for a small bike actually works for me.

Cash is king, though.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

And you didn't even tell us about it? Harumph.

Taking the family car (MazdaSpeed6) to a RallyCross this weekend. Should be a lesson in rut avoidance. See if I enjoy it enough to make a dedicated purchase.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Tell you about the M6? It's been a non-runner since 2010. Needs a full restoration but with my wife going for her doctorate soon it's either mothball it or find another enthusiast and give them a crack at it. I asked $3900 for it, told the guy I'd take $3K in a discussion, and he low balled at $2500. No thanks.

http://eastnc.craigslist.org/cto/4666649698.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is the ad if you wanted to peruse. I love that car, but it's just an albatross for me right now.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

That would be a fun project, but if I need to invest that much muscle I think I'd tackle this 74 Sonnet instead http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4630558896.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind of amazed at the size of the M6, yet how they crammed the I6 in there right on the firewall. Guess they were aiming for better weight distribution.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Yeah, the M6 is a long boat.

That Saab is nuts. I feel a lot better for not accepting this guys lowball. :lol:
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

Oh yeah, I was telling my Dad I could probably buy it for a song :)

Thought about turning it into our second Lemons car, but after we had to repair the swiss cheesed rockers on the first Gen Rx7 I think we've both had as much rust as we can handle at the moment.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I have the actual worst tires in the world on my 'Yota Celica GT. It feels like they break traction at 10 mph with 5 degrees of lock. I've almost had about four accidents because they lose grip and lock and I just go sliding. On the other hand, it's an easy way to educate Mrs Tif about understeer.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Traded the M6 on the K75S. Pretty terrible decision from a logistical standpoint but I can sell the bike for more than I could sell the car for, just more legwork.

The guy I sold it to is a real enthusiast, can't wait to see the pictures when he's done restoring it. Hell, I'd like to buy it back from him. He doesn't pick it up till next Saturday, going to be a really hard day for me.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

Congratulations, and my condolences :)
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

Yeah, I'm pretty mixed about it but I know it's right.

Yesterday was just a **** day. Got pulled over on my bike on the way to the mechanic because, despite 2 years of safety inspections and being pulled over by two other state troopers on seperate occasions, my license plate wasn't visible enough for this guy. It's quite plainly visible from the back and a healthy angle to the rear quarters, but he was coming the other direction in the rain around a curve and couldn't read the plate in his mirror. During the course of the stop he cited me for not wearing corrective lenses. :face:

$50 fine and $190 court costs, and I had to pay my mechanic about $120 to fab a new bracket since I have a custom tail. I'll post a pic later and you can be the judge.

For clarity sake, I have 20/20 overall vision but a lazy (not wandering) left eye. Since the DMV tests visual acuity each eye independently I require corrective lenses. I pointed out I could read the citation he was holding from two arms lengths away but he didn't care, because he was right in the eyes of the law. I think he tacked it on there to keep me out of court because I bet I could argue the plate violation and have a good case, but I can't do dick about the corrective lenses.

He didn't cite me for the expired tag and no inspection since I was on my way to the inspection station and it was only two days overdue. That was something at least.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

dodint wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty mixed about it but I know it's right.

Yesterday was just a **** day. Got pulled over on my bike on the way to the mechanic because, despite 2 years of safety inspections and being pulled over by two other state troopers on seperate occasions, my license plate wasn't visible enough for this guy. It's quite plainly visible from the back and a healthy angle to the rear quarters, but he was coming the other direction in the rain around a curve and couldn't read the plate in his mirror. During the course of the stop he cited me for not wearing corrective lenses. :face:

$50 fine and $190 court costs, and I had to pay my mechanic about $120 to fab a new bracket since I have a custom tail. I'll post a pic later and you can be the judge.

For clarity sake, I have 20/20 overall vision but a lazy (not wandering) left eye. Since the DMV tests visual acuity each eye independently I require corrective lenses. I pointed out I could read the citation he was holding from two arms lengths away but he didn't care, because he was right in the eyes of the law. I think he tacked it on there to keep me out of court because I bet I could argue the plate violation and have a good case, but I can't do dick about the corrective lenses.

He didn't cite me for the expired tag and no inspection since I was on my way to the inspection station and it was only two days overdue. That was something at least.
He asked if you were wearing corrective lenses? Do you even have to answer that? Self-incriminating?

Interesting, because I've never heard anyone tell me that they were asked by a cop about if they were wearing lenses
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I get asked. In the car I wear corrective sunglasses so it's never been an issue. Contacts are actually fairly visible if you look, I can see my wife's, and since he was about one stride away I didn't bluff him. Who cites for that? I assumed he was going to cite me for just the plate, which I could have fought.

It's just so dumb. Huge chance I'm moving out of state, would've been nice to not have this extra thing hanging out there.

This is the plate, and keep in mind it's lit full time by two white lights:
Spoiler:
Whatever.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by CBear3 »

Hmm, looks good to me. I can see it being forward of the rear wheel being a visual issue.
You've gotta be a **** to cite for it though.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Hockeynut! wrote:Speaking of tires, are Goodyear Duratracs worth the money? A set of 4 is going to cost me over a grand for my Wrangler (285/70/17s). I feel sick about that kind of money on tires.
i have them. they rock. but im running 33r15's...i got a set of 5 wheels/tires with less than 1000 miles on em for $1000
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

that seems very high for that size tires. are you set on having a MT? I would recommend the Bridgestone Dueler AT revo 2, available at tirerack for $820 a set. ($750 after MIR)