How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Post by stopper40 »

shafnutz05 wrote:Anyone have the HTC One M8? I think I am going to get it, just not sure if anyone can offer feedback outside of what I've already read
I was waiting got the Verizon Remix to come out, it's the One mini 2. Once I compared the specs of that with the One and saw that it had a slower processor and only 1g of ram, I decided on the One, I'll probably pick it up this weekend. I'll never buy another Motorola phone
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by knives of ice »

M8 is a great phone...but it all matters on what you are valuing most in a phone. my wife wanted a great camera and i near every comparison review rated the S5 camera higher than the M8. also, i don't understand the reason why everyone flips out about an aluminum body. yes, it looks great. but you can't remove the battery if that is needed and it makes the phone heavier. near everyone has a case on the phone anyways so i don't see why everyone freaks out about it. i much prefer the plastic body of the Galaxy phones.

that being said, if you are in the market for a new phone remember to check Amazon's mobile site. you can even do eligible upgrades on there. The S5 was $100 cheaper there than anywhere else i could find it at the time.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

knives of ice wrote:M8 is a great phone...but it all matters on what you are valuing most in a phone. my wife wanted a great camera and i near every comparison review rated the S5 camera higher than the M8. also, i don't understand the reason why everyone flips out about an aluminum body. yes, it looks great. but you can't remove the battery if that is needed and it makes the phone heavier. near everyone has a case on the phone anyways so i don't see why everyone freaks out about it. i much prefer the plastic body of the Galaxy phones.

that being said, if you are in the market for a new phone remember to check Amazon's mobile site. you can even do eligible upgrades on there. The S5 was $100 cheaper there than anywhere else i could find it at the time.
I have friends that have the S5 and love it, same with the M8. I've had 2 HTC phones and loved them, I dislike my motorola, though I do love the battery. I'm going with the M8 because of brand preference. Haven't decided on what color to get though.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

stopper40 wrote:
I have friends that have the S5 and love it, same with the M8. I've had 2 HTC phones and loved them, I dislike my motorola, though I do love the battery. I'm going with the M8 because of brand preference. Haven't decided on what color to get though.
I switched to the One (M8) because my S4 crashed constantly and performed poorly after every system upgrade. I lost faith in Samsung at that point.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

I forgot to add the One (M8) has great battery life. I can go about 2 days without having to charge it.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

So I pocket-dialed 911 three times yesterday with my S5. The emergency call screen NEEDS to be able to be disabled. Jesus. I almost was arrested.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

llipgh2 wrote:I forgot to add the One (M8) has great battery life. I can go about 2 days without having to charge it.
Picked up my M8 earlier today love it so far just need to figure out what the hell I'm doing with it and get set up the way I like it
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I've had my Galaxy S3 since December of 2012 and I'm on my 8 charging cable. The last one last 10 days before it stopped fitting snugly (and therefore not charging) into the phone.
I never had this problem with my iPhone 4.

What's the deal?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Not sure. I've had mine since October 2012 and I'm still on the one that shipped with it. No issues for me.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

I only had that happen with one cable before. Its not near a bed post or door or something that could be crushing it is it?

I've been playing with my 4 year old Tmobile G2 more recently. Theres a lot about the older version of Android that I prefer. And with that phone specifically the keyboard. I really wish HTC would release a similar model with modern hardware. I've had the touchscreen now for two years and still hate it.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

columbia wrote:I've had my Galaxy S3 since December of 2012 and I'm on my 8 charging cable. The last one last 10 days before it stopped fitting snugly (and therefore not charging) into the phone.
I never had this problem with my iPhone 4.

What's the deal?
I have the same problem with charging cables, cheap and expensive ones, generic and name brand. It's happened with both HTC and Motorola phones. It's happened with ones that were plugged in when I did things with the phone and ones where I specifically wouldn't do anything with the phone when it was plugged. I wish I knew whet the issue was. I have a charger in my car and I've never had a problem with it coming loose or not charging
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

That Galaxy S5 Active is BA.

My wife is finally switching to the LG G3 in October, unless something better comes out before then.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

My Note 3 is still awesome and I'm coming up on my one year with it. Unless something really groundbreaking happens with it's successor I might have this phone well after the two years. Usually about 14 months in I start watching new stuff but this handset has met nearly all of my needs.

Just did a quick glance at the Note 4 and nothing there is blowing me away. Maybe I'll get it at the end of life in two years at a discount when my Note 3 shuffles off.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I think it will be like the S3-S4-S5 chain. Not a big jump form S4 to S5, probably the same this time around with the Note. I'd expect the health, security and waterproof features. I just hope it ueses the same batteries as the Note 3, my wife has a bunch of spares but won't update if they can't be used in the Note 4.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dodint »

I was thinking about the waterproof thing last night. Is it rated for just submersion? The reason I ask is that I listen to Sirius from my phone in the shower, but I keep it perched on a towel rack away from the steam. If it were waterproof could I take it into the actual shower and put it on a high shelf where it's out of the spray but exposed to steam?

That wouldn't sell it for me but it'd be nice, especially since I'm starting to use Google Play on my N3 instead of iTunes and my iPod. This means when I get fully back into road running shape I'd be using my phone for outdoor running.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

My S5 took a dunk in the lake while it was in my pocket and worked fine. The speaker was a bit crackly at first but once it dried out it's back to normal.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

The jump Sammy made going from the S3 to the S4 was actually not very good. They loaded so much bloatware on to the device, and then the KitKat update prevented third party apps from writing (or even being installed to) the SD card. That meant that if you bought an 8 gig phone, the day you brought it home you only had half the storage capacity available. With the S5, they moved all that bloatware to a portal-type setup that lives in the cloud. So you could still access the Samsung apps, but they weren't installed on your device anymore. So going from the S3 to the S5 will be a big jump in performance.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Also, what are my options for a wireless signal booster? Our house is in a really odd pocket where we get poor signal strength, and no 4G at all. (Which is odd, because we are in the middle of the densely populated San Fernando Valley) We got rid of our landline about a year ago, and it just occurred to me last night that the lack of a consistent strong wireless signal probably isn't a good thing since that's our only phone.

(We're Verizon, btw)
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessor ... -boosters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Saw that one, but that's only a 3G booster. Was hoping for a 4G antenna. Still, better than nothing I suppose.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

tifosi77 wrote:Also, what are my options for a wireless signal booster? Our house is in a really odd pocket where we get poor signal strength, and no 4G at all. (Which is odd, because we are in the middle of the densely populated San Fernando Valley) We got rid of our landline about a year ago, and it just occurred to me last night that the lack of a consistent strong wireless signal probably isn't a good thing since that's our only phone.

(We're Verizon, btw)
The last time I moved, I tried to convince AT&T to send me one of their boosters, which basically allows you to make VOIP calls from your phone.
They declined, but tried to give me one when I cancelled my service; after I told them that I couldn't make a call from within my apartment.

That doesn't do anything for you, but see if you can scam one from Verizon.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

On Tmobile I can do free calling over wifi.

I'm sure other providers have some option for that.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Just talked to a buddy at work here who did the same thing with AT&T. He's a graphic designer who runs his business out of his home office and needed reliable cell service. AT&T said "You can buy one of these things," to which he replied, "Or I can switch providers". So maybe I'll give that a go.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Note 4, not much of an upgrade to Note 3 but they also made a Note Edge, same new features as the Note 4 but the edge of the screen curves down and is a seperate dispaly that will act as a quick launch and notifications and a bunch of other things. I didn't see or read anything official it will be water proof like the S5.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/03/sams ... -hands-on/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/03/sams ... -hands-on/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Thats pretty slick looking but I bet it would get annoying quickly depending on how you hold the phone.