The Pro Wrestling Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: The Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by Spangler »

skullman80 wrote:
Froggy wrote:The biggest problem is that they're filling a 3 hour raw, smackdown, superstars, & nxt every week, plus the reality shows, plus a ppv every month, plus the network... it's impossible to keep that much exposure interesting.
They probably have the roster to pull it off right now if they really really tried.

I agree though. There is probably too much programming going on right now. They could honestly cut back to 6 PPV's a year, or even 8 if they wanted to cut back just a bit and have longer, slow burn storylines. Now everything is so rushed with how many TV hours you have to fill, and PPV's there are.

Cut raw back to 2 hours, have smackdown, have NXT, run 6 PPV's a year or so, plus maybe a special NXT PPV once a year if you want to keep them separate. Give the mid card guys something of value to do, make the IC and US titles mean something again.
I kinda disagree on cutting RAW back to 2 hours only because the match quality has gone way up since RAW moved to 3 hours. Wrestlers have more time to work now. That being said, there is way to much filler i nthe 3 hour show. If they could increase match time with the same quality in a 2 hour show, then I would be ok with it.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Spangler wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
Froggy wrote:The biggest problem is that they're filling a 3 hour raw, smackdown, superstars, & nxt every week, plus the reality shows, plus a ppv every month, plus the network... it's impossible to keep that much exposure interesting.
They probably have the roster to pull it off right now if they really really tried.

I agree though. There is probably too much programming going on right now. They could honestly cut back to 6 PPV's a year, or even 8 if they wanted to cut back just a bit and have longer, slow burn storylines. Now everything is so rushed with how many TV hours you have to fill, and PPV's there are.

Cut raw back to 2 hours, have smackdown, have NXT, run 6 PPV's a year or so, plus maybe a special NXT PPV once a year if you want to keep them separate. Give the mid card guys something of value to do, make the IC and US titles mean something again.
I kinda disagree on cutting RAW back to 2 hours only because the match quality has gone way up since RAW moved to 3 hours. Wrestlers have more time to work now. That being said, there is way to much filler i nthe 3 hour show. If they could increase match time with the same quality in a 2 hour show, then I would be ok with it.
They could do the same amount of quality wrestling in 2 hours if they cut out the lame crap/filler, and recapping the show 20 times. So I think we essentially agree haha.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

But how else will we know how much the WWE NETWORK is?
Spoiler:
9.99!
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Defence21 »

I think Raw needs to be cut back to 2 hours and Smackdown, despite the expenses involved, needs to go live. Having Smackdown live increases the desire to watch, and with an increased audience, they can use the show to build story-lines. I agree with those who say cutting back the PPVs wouldn't be a bad idea, especially if the Network picks up in subscribers. They'll actually cut major expenses by doing so -- though subscribers would be screwed out of premiere events they paid to get.

In the end, all of this is fixed with good writing. They have shown recently an ability to write good story-lines. Unfortunately, they've shown more frequently that they just write crap. Whether it's complacency due to a lack of competition or simply poor writers, something needs to be done, as the product their pushing has enough intrigue to wet the whistles of many casual fans, but not enough to lure them into spending $9.99 for the Network. And, if that fails, WWE could be in big trouble.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

To the surprise of no one... from what I've been reading...Vinnie Mac not HHH booked Raw last week including that awful main event. Read excerpt below....I believe this came from Dave Meltzer...

Regarding the portrayal of Cena on Raw this week, that was all written and put together by Vince McMahon. My feeling on the final segment, where Cena laid out all three members of the Wyatts with Attitude Adjustments is that it was the right idea for a great segment, but it should have aired on either 9/8, or preferably 9/15. Cena should have at least sold the beating from SummerSlam on this week’s show, and started a build for a comeback story instead of him being back with no repercussions from the first match. You’ve got Swagger with taped ribs for week from less of a beating while you are trying to have Michaels tell people Cena should retire due to this horrific beating, and he’s fine, not a scratch, and not selling a thing. It would have been better to save Lesnar vs. Cena for perhaps Survivor Series, but they had no other face ready to headline and it’s the renewal month, so the September show is more important than the November show. Given that, he still could have sold the beating, vowed he was training harder than ever and would be at his best ever, while Heyman and Lesnar laughed off the idea of him being competition based on the first match. Then, in his first match back, either 9/8 or 9/15, they could have had Heyman at ringside (or Lesnar if it’s a show he’s booked on), shocked while Cena runs wild with the idea Cena really has recovered and is throwing around top heels. McMahon felt that after the one-sided match (which they never should have done in hindsight, since the follow-up was so lame and it was rendered as if it might as well have never happened), that the Cena fans would lose faith in him unless he made an immediate statement.

There were a number of other changes. The package with Lesnar and Heyman that they played was originally earmarked for the 9/1 show, not the 8/25 show.

Also, Rusev vs. Swagger was not on the original Raw script as the plan was to put Cesaro vs. Swagger for the U.S title shot, which Cesaro would win, with the same Dallas follow-up.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

skullman80 wrote: that the Cena fans would lose faith in him unless he made an immediate statement.
I've been of this belief for a while and have said as much. Whether true or not, they feel that Cena fans are so thin skinned, that they need to protect him ALWAYS. Ever single time he loses its either interference or Cena comes out the next night with an excuse. To their credit he didn't come out with an excuse after Lesnar, he only came out more dominant than ever a week later. :roll: If Cena were any good his fans would stick with him no matter what. Punk lost to the Rock, then the Undertaker and came back the biggest face of the company. You can't run your industry based on 10 year olds feelings about a guy who's crap to begin with. The piping in "Lets Go Cena" chants, his goody two shoes attitude 100% of the time, its such garbage and its insulting that they think that's what we need to sit through.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

the follow-up was so lame and it was rendered as if it might as well have never happened)
I feel like this has been said many times over the years.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

The move should have been Cena losing to Wyatt and Wyatt cutting a promo about Cena knowing better than to come at him at less than full strength and then something about going to follow the buzzards because wasting anymore of his influence on a broken man doesn't appeal to him. Leaving Cena to get man handled more by the rest of the Wyatt family. That could have led right into a great narrative where Cena could rise up and overcome but in a more believable way...
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Jessicka Havok is apparently going to debut on TNA next week. I think she's awesome, and one of the most talented women working the indies, but I question her timing. Anyway, they have always handled the women's division better than the WWE, so maybe I might watch. Probably not.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

[youtube][/youtube]
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

WWE legend Jake "The Snake" Roberts has been hospitalized and is in intensive care after being diagnosed with double pneumonia, WrestlingInc.com reported Thursday.

A hospital spokeswoman in Las Vegas confirmed to USA TODAY Sports that Roberts was admitted.

According to the WrestlingInc.com, Roberts flew Wednesday to Las Vegas to appear in a show promoted by Sinn Bodhi, and became unconscious on the plane.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/20 ... /14765261/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

I just heard Alexa Bliss' theme song for the first time and if I get it out of my head before Christmas time I'll consider that a victory. Why are all the annoying songs the ones that get stuck in your head??
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Bling Bling
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

JS© wrote:
WWE legend Jake "The Snake" Roberts has been hospitalized and is in intensive care after being diagnosed with double pneumonia, WrestlingInc.com reported Thursday.

A hospital spokeswoman in Las Vegas confirmed to USA TODAY Sports that Roberts was admitted.

According to the WrestlingInc.com, Roberts flew Wednesday to Las Vegas to appear in a show promoted by Sinn Bodhi, and became unconscious on the plane.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/20 ... /14765261/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just awful news. Jake has made a great recovery from his addiction, but as we know all too well, sometimes the damage is already done. Hope he makes a solid recovery, he deserves it.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Piper not happy with the WWE?
At one point, Roddy Piper wanted to face Hulk Hogan in the ring at WrestleMania 30 in order to end their feud once and for all. Piper even said that when he saw Hogan for the first time in years he joked he was the reason Hulk has no hair. But the WWE management shot the idea down and instead went with having WWE legends like Hogan, The Rock, and Stone Cold Steve Austin make verbal jabs in the ring. Of course, it’s possible that Hogan’s back injuries may have not been good enough for WM 30 in the first place, but Piper and Hogan sort of finished the feud with a backstage skit.

In general, even though Roddy Piper has been making WWE appearances, he keeps making it clear that he has problems with people in the company. According to The Wrestling Observer, when Piper did a small show in Ireland, they joked about how there were more people there than a TNA match. This led the crowd to chant “F you TNA” and Piper did not stop there. He called Ric Flair an “a-hole” who can’t keep his clothes on and who “can’t keep his (junk) in his pants.” Of course, Piper softened the blow by adding that he “loves” Flair but chooses not to hang out with the other old time wrestler.

But Piper did not hold back on Vince McMahon, who he claims is holding a grudge against him for an incident where Vince insulted him and Piper lashed out verbally. The WWE Hall Of Famer told Mr. McMahon to his face that he was a failed concert promoter, a failed bodybuilding promoter, and a failed football promoter, and the only reason the WWE has succeeded is because Vince’s father handed it to him.
(JS© note: Don't forget failed minor league hockey team owner)

Earlier in the year, Roddy Piper also criticized how the WWE was being managed:

“I think the playing field needs to get more leveled. There’s too much of one thought track in the business. The reason I was so successful is because I worked with a whole lot of old timers – Mad Dog, Jacques Rougeau, Jos Leduc, Gino Brito, Dino Bravo. They took care of me and they taught me. Now they’re not doing that; they’re just stamping out bodies with interchangeable heads. They’re not giving people the chance to come out of their shell and be who they are.”

Piper also claimed if he ever did come out of retirement he would do it for only two reasons:

“I guess if it’s against Vince McMahon or Vince Russo I would wrestle again, those would be for free.”

http://www.inquisitr.com/1433507/wwe-ro ... -the-boss/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

shafnutz05 wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
Why
don't
people
turn
their
phones
sideways!!!!????????
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

lol for 60 seconds they made you think they were actually not going to start RAW with the Authority.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Y2J is gold
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Cena time
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

The Miz really is groundbreaking. Can't remember anyone ever doing the heel that thinks he's so beautiful and doesn't want to get his face messed up in the history of wrestling before. Not to mention that catch phrase. "Im Awesome." Just creativity out the ass.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

This is happening. This Bella thing is actually happening on a wrestling tv show.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

DudeMan2766 wrote:The Miz really is groundbreaking. Can't remember anyone ever doing the heel that thinks he's so beautiful and doesn't want to get his face messed up in the history of wrestling before. Not to mention that catch phrase. "Im Awesome." Just creativity out the ass.
It worked with Cody Rhodes. Eventually Miz's face will get messed up and then he'll wear a mask and then... Oh god.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Tag team matches all night

holla holla
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Surely the Big Show and Mark Henry are no match for the two guys Cena routinely takes out all by himself.