The Pro Wrestling Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: The Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by DudeMan2766 »

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Did Bo just get out of the pool?
He does a weekly ice bucket challenge because he Bolieves in a cure for ALS
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I had a feeling the main event was going to be a showcase for "ANGRY OUT OF CONTROL CENA"....we'll see.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

LOL and here I thought Bray Wyatt already hit the Cena Ceiling. Turns out there was one more floor.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Mark Henry sucks as a face. Also, my god WWE couldn't even wait 8 days to make Cena look like a total world-beater. Even against a guy that was one of the most popular wrestlers in the game a few months ago.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

They have pretty much ruined the Wyatt family at this point.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by MalkinIsMyHomeboy »

I have to admit, it looks like the WWE network has really cool original shows but I pay 9.99 a month for a non-contractual sports package of the RedZone and NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB networks. I'm not gonna pay $10 a month for one channel.

It would be great if the WWE network was to join them but I highly doubt they would do that. So much less money.
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Quick question for the every-week watchers here. Why won't the WWE at least revisit some of the hard-edged nature of the Attitude Era? Obviously a lot of that era was crap (Mark Henry and Mae Young, etc), but there was a lot of epic stuff too. The ratings have been stagnant forever. The product is stale. Linda McMahon isn't even an excuse anymore.

Is it simply the lack of competition? Even the heel turns are all mid-carders.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

[youtube][/youtube]
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I'd like to think that this is the beginning of Cena's slow heel turn.

lolololol just kidding.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

JFC this is pathetic. Every single time WWE gets compliments for going against their own style and actually doing something entertaining, they go right back to same old same old almost immediately.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by nocera »

Why did the Wyatts have to be buried in order to show that Cena is better?
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

shafnutz05 wrote:Quick question for the every-week watchers here. Why won't the WWE at least revisit some of the hard-edged nature of the Attitude Era? Obviously a lot of that era was crap (Mark Henry and Mae Young, etc), but there was a lot of epic stuff too. The ratings have been stagnant forever. The product is stale. Linda McMahon isn't even an excuse anymore.

They have no reason to. No competition is a probably the biggest thing. Plus I don't think you can just try to bring stuff from that era to the current time. The attitude era was one of those lightning in the bottle things that came at the exact right time when all the kids who grew up on Hulkamania were hitting their teenage years and wanted edgier stuff. Wrestling is cyclical(if that is even a word).

I Just want stuff that doesn't insult my intelligence. That's what annoys me. Everyone once in a while they hit it out of the park on something, but then they bungle it up later on anyways. I don't want blood every match, but to blow of a big feud or something... its warranted. I mean you have a HITC or Cage match as a blowoff match with no blood. Dumb. Also it seems like most days now outside of the rare exceptions.. IE Punk, Cena etc.. no one gets to do their own promos. They are given a script and they have to just go by it. I think that kills alot of creativity. Give the guys a few bullet points and let them go. Nothing needs to be line for line. Lastly... don't start something, and then kill it right away. Cesaro looked like a million bucks after WM30.. now he is floundering with little to no direction. There are countless others in the same situation.(Ziggler etc)..which leads me to my real last point. Make secondary titles mean something. The IC and US titles are worthless because they treat them as such, before they were stepping stones to getting the world title. Now if you get the US or IC title you lose the majority of your matches and then get shuffled down the card and the next guy gets it.... they are pointless. That would fix alot of issues to and give a reason for people to get invested in mid card guys, make those titles mean something.

/rant off.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Also whats the point of Lesnar murdering Cena, if Cena just comes back a week or so later and shows no ill effect from said beat down. Then buries the Wyatts in the process. It's just so stupid. I mean .... how do they not see how dumb it is. Once again Cena beats the odds..... ugh.

If they have Cena beat Brock at NOC ... I'm legit done.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

skullman80 wrote:Also whats the point of Lesnar murdering Cena, if Cena just comes back a week or so later and shows no ill effect from said beat down. Then buries the Wyatts in the process. It's just so stupid. I mean .... how do they not see how dumb it is. Once again Cena beats the odds..... ugh.

If they have Cena beat Brock at NOC ... I'm legit done.
To me, ideal writing is Lesnar obliterates Cena again, Cena gets "injured" and someone else (Reigns or Sheamus since Ambrose will eventually be back and fight Rollins again) will step in as the number 1 contender.

I don't want to say I'd be done because I just came back and haven't watched this many RAWs in a row since like 2004 and not even kidding, this Summer Slam was the first PPV I've ever watched live (granted, I was watching on a bootleg stream). I would just be incredibly disappointed.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

shafnutz05 wrote:I'd like to think that this is the beginning of Cena's slow heel turn.

lolololol just kidding.
Obligatory "its never going to happen" but the only thread of hope I'd hang on to is the Nicki stuff, and that's IF they are continuing to push Total Divas. They have this idea in their heads that people care about that show and would probably use a Cena heel turn to push that garbage more than their actual wrestling product. But then again this company is so goddamn stupid they'll have Nicki tell her sister she wishes she died in the womb, then two days later advertise the show where she's the lovey-dovey girlfriend of the company's hero. They still share a twitter account too, so that makes sense. It was next to impossible to ruin Cesaro after his steam on that run to WM and his Battle Royal win and they did it in near record time. It took a proverbial gun to their heads to put Bryan on top and I bet they are actually consider themselves lucky he is injured. Ziggler has been labeled injury prone so he'll never be in a major story again. Neither will Bryan. If/When he returns he'll go right back to being "Brie Bella's husband" instead of a wrestler. I know guys like Froggy pay way more attention to the indies and NXT than I ever do, and he's excited about the future, but there is zero reason to believe anyone is good enough to not be completely ruined by these idiots. They'll all be fed to Cena eventually on his road to breaking Flairs World Title reigns record.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

Maybe what I like about the indies is that storylines (if they exist at all) are usually pretty straightforward, and more focus is put on what happens in the ring. It's also really rewarding seeing guys you've followed for years get to do what they did for so long out of love for the business and a $75 pay envelope get to reach a wider audience and make a living.

Do I wish they were using guys like Cesaro & Harper better? Of course I do. But I still think it's good for them as men, not necessarily as characters, to get a chance to do it. And there's an element of having your fandom validated by watching that progression.

Also, while some guys could have it better, they really got it right with guys like Punk & Bryan (eventually for both, I guess), and Rollins & Ambrose have both taken that step into the top tier. They're never gonna hit on all of these guys, and it's unrealistic to expect them to, but when they DO hit, it's pretty special to see.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

so THIS just happened to me in SuperCard...
Spoiler:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

so I DVR'ed RAW last night since I was flying for most of the episode.

Is any part of it worth watching?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Defence21 »

JS© wrote:so I DVR'ed RAW last night since I was flying for most of the episode.

Is any part of it worth watching?
Nope.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

The only good thing about the episode was AJ. And not anything she did, just her being hot.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Defence21 »

shafnutz05 wrote:Quick question for the every-week watchers here. Why won't the WWE at least revisit some of the hard-edged nature of the Attitude Era? Obviously a lot of that era was crap (Mark Henry and Mae Young, etc), but there was a lot of epic stuff too. The ratings have been stagnant forever. The product is stale. Linda McMahon isn't even an excuse anymore.

I've just returned to the weekly watching after a 14 year hiatus. The Monday Night Wars and the Attitude Era were amazing, and quite possibly will never be surpassed. And, while I don't think they can or should just replicate the era in hopes of rekindling a fire that has been extinguished, I also have wondered why the product is so watered down and PG. It seems to me, allowing for some blood, some vulgarity, and some hardcore style matches would spice up the product and make it more attract to people in their late teens, 20s and 30s.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

The biggest problem is that they're filling a 3 hour raw, smackdown, superstars, & nxt every week, plus the reality shows, plus a ppv every month, plus the network... it's impossible to keep that much exposure interesting.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

Froggy wrote:The biggest problem is that they're filling a 3 hour raw, smackdown, superstars, & nxt every week, plus the reality shows, plus a ppv every month, plus the network... it's impossible to keep that much exposure interesting.
They probably have the roster to pull it off right now if they really really tried.

I agree though. There is probably too much programming going on right now. They could honestly cut back to 6 PPV's a year, or even 8 if they wanted to cut back just a bit and have longer, slow burn storylines. Now everything is so rushed with how many TV hours you have to fill, and PPV's there are.

Cut raw back to 2 hours, have smackdown, have NXT, run 6 PPV's a year or so, plus maybe a special NXT PPV once a year if you want to keep them separate. Give the mid card guys something of value to do, make the IC and US titles mean something again.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Froggy wrote:Maybe what I like about the indies is that storylines (if they exist at all) are usually pretty straightforward, and more focus is put on what happens in the ring. It's also really rewarding seeing guys you've followed for years get to do what they did for so long out of love for the business and a $75 pay envelope get to reach a wider audience and make a living.

Do I wish they were using guys like Cesaro & Harper better? Of course I do. But I still think it's good for them as men, not necessarily as characters, to get a chance to do it. And there's an element of having your fandom validated by watching that progression.

Also, while some guys could have it better, they really got it right with guys like Punk & Bryan (eventually for both, I guess), and Rollins & Ambrose have both taken that step into the top tier. They're never gonna hit on all of these guys, and it's unrealistic to expect them to, but when they DO hit, it's pretty special to see.

Frog I hope my post didn't come across as devaluing your opinion on the indies or anything. I just reread it and think it may sound like that. I was just saying even tho you watch it and see a bright future I just can't give these company the benefit of the doubt not to screw it up. Locally every sunday at midnight a station shows an hour of ROH, and when I'm still awake I find myself glued to it, where as RAW I'm on my phone or computer almost the whole time. I like it, just don't watch much. I was pretty pissed after that main event last night watching Cena laughably try to act like Lesnar (whispering "Stay down" "Stay down" to Wyatt and dancing around him), then AA'ing the entire faction again, I just have completely given up on these buffoons having any sense of what to do with the talent they have. Getting a Bryan, or Punk right every couple of years isn't enough for me really when they ruin so so much.